• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

For me it’d be alright if it had a rival-like personality towards it, even if one sided but the fact that that’s it’s only personally is what bothers me about it. Maybe if it had a backstory involving a Pikachu it’d be better but this far, none exists and it just hates Pikachu for no reason to the point of even disobeying it’s trainer when Pikachu is around.

Yeah, like EscLucy said, Mimikkyu's reason for hating Pikachu has been mostly left implicit, especially after the "Mimikkyu's Disguise" episode. But I'd also like it if we got a backstory.

Yeah, like EscLucy said, Mimikkyu's reason for hating Pikachu has been mostly left implicit, especially after the "Mimikkyu's Disguise" episode. But I'd also like it if we got a backstory.
For me it kinda feels like Meowth in his hatred of Persian but without the nuance. Not only has Meowth had terrible experiences with his evolution but every time we see them, they’re awful either acting like a mob boss or lording themselves over Meowth making the scorn justified. Sure we got a thing of that it dresses like what it hates but we still lack a reason for said hatred to tie into that. But like I said, we just need some backstory because I just find that being it’s only personality quirk to be kinda boring.

Last edited:
Sure we got a thing of that it dresses like what it hates but we still lack a reason for said hatred to tie into that.
There was a pretty bait scene in its episode where it was strongly implied that Mimikyu is jealous of the Pikachu line because of how popular it is. Does it really need to be something "deeper" than that? I don't think so. In fact...
For me it kinda feels like Meowth in his hatred of Persian but without the nuance.
The fact that it hasn't been spelt out for us makes it more nuanced. Nyasu hates Persian because every Persian we've ever seen is a dick and one stole his love in the ultimate dick move is obvious. Mimikyu being embittered because it wants what Pikachu has is more perverse and therefore more interesting a character trait IMO.

There was a pretty bait scene in its episode where it was strongly implied that Mimikyu is jealous of the Pikachu line because of how popular it is. Does it really need to be something "deeper" than that? I don't think so. In fact...

The fact that it hasn't been spelt out for us makes it more nuanced. Nyasu hates Persian because every Persian we've ever seen is a dick and one stole his love in the ultimate dick move is obvious. Mimikyu being embittered because it wants what Pikachu has is more perverse and therefore more interesting a character trait IMO.
I can't really say that makes for a better character trait and instead just makes it seem extremely petty which is pretty shallow especially when you see other Mimikyu don't seem to share this irrational hatred despite sharing the same situation. What would make it a better character IMO would be for it to be able to let go of its hatred over time by seeing that it has people who care for it in spite of it not being Pikachu and thus it doesn't need to feel jealous because it isn't alone anymore. Sadly I don't see them reaching such a point.

I can't really say that makes for a better character trait and instead just makes it seem extremely petty which is pretty shallow especially when you see other Mimikyu don't seem to share this irrational hatred despite sharing the same situation. What would make it a better character IMO would be for it to be able to let go of its hatred over time by seeing that it has people who care for it in spite of it not being Pikachu and thus it doesn't need to feel jealous because it isn't alone anymore.
What I said was more interesting, not better. Do you not know this kind of petty person in real life? I sure do (and holding grudges/petty jealousy as a trait really annoys me). But the character arc you described is the vanilla kind of progression we always see in Pokeani. Shigeru for example, having brought so much fun to the anime in OS, was boring to watch in his last outing.

Mimikyu has clearly developed loyalty and affectionate feelings towards Musashi whilst maintaining its independent streak. I'm sure there will be more before the end of the series, possibly even in the next episode. I personally feel losing its jealous hatred of the Pikachu line would be an unrealistic and predictable move, and therefore still quite likely to happen!

I can't really say that makes for a better character trait and instead just makes it seem extremely petty which is pretty shallow especially when you see other Mimikyu don't seem to share this irrational hatred despite sharing the same situation. What would make it a better character IMO would be for it to be able to let go of its hatred over time by seeing that it has people who care for it in spite of it not being Pikachu and thus it doesn't need to feel jealous because it isn't alone anymore. Sadly I don't see them reaching such a point.
I think it's in Mimikyu's nature not to let go of its hatred of Pikachu. It will always hate Pikachu and that is what is so unique and cool about its personality.

I think it's in Mimikyu's nature not to let go of its hatred of Pikachu. It will always hate Pikachu and that is what is so unique and cool about its personality.
I dunno, like I said, I just find that its petty hatred towards Pikachu makes it one-note, especially since unlike a lot of the other pokemon that they've had in the main and supporting cast having a range of personality, that's just all that there is to its entire character. Something like that could work for a character of the day but not so well in a major character's main pokemon. I find there's only so much you can exploit a singular trait before it gets boring without anything else to fall on.

My Top 15 Pokemon Manga Villains by TheDeviousDude

Some time ago, I read this surprisingly interesting analysis on the villain characters in the Pokémon Adventures manga. While I personally disagree with some (or even many) of these villains because of my personal preferences, I must say that the reasonings given in the above list were very convincing, and they even changed some of my perspectives of at least some of these characters. I'm not going over my opinions on all of these characters here and now, but I'll talk about those who stood out for me, either on this list, or for my own personal opinion.

Let's start with N and Team Plasma. I don't know if any of you has ever noticed, but in the manga, even more so than how it sometimes happens in the games, Hidenori Kusaka tends to make each villainous team gain multiple small victories throughout their respective arc to make them a bigger threat and thus make their eventual defeat more grand and satisfying. However, this idea really does not work with N. Just think about it: in Black and White, N slowly starts to understand your beliefs in friendship, trust, and mutual respect between people and Pokémon through your multiple encounters with him, and challenges you to the final battle between the Legendary Dragons to see if your ideology indeed is as strong as you claim. And once he's defeated, he admits that he may need to accept other people's ideologies instead just forcing his own ideologies upon them if he hopes to change the world the way he wants to. And in Black 2 and White 2, we can see his character development advancing even further in this direction.

However, as I said, Kusaka tends to give his depictions of the villains small victories throughout their arcs in order to build them up as serious threats. Because of this, N never seems to even consider accepting other ideologies, and his beliefs in his cause only intensify over the course of the Black & White chapter, making his turn to good at the end of the chapter (after being defeated only once, mind you) feel way too forced and undeserved. So yeah. Kusaka's writing style really did not blend well together with N.

Before moving on, I'll mention one other thing they did with Team Plasma in the manga, which may not be as bad as it is... let's say "iffy"... but still is something I feel is worth mentioning. You know how in every chapter before the Black & White chapter, the Gym Leaders of the current region would join forces to take on the evil team? Well, in Generation V, we finally got that happening in the games too, so I like to think that Kusaka must've been thinking something along the lines of, "Oh, my! They're actually doing the stuff I've been depicting them doing for about 15 years?! How to make this work...? Oh! I know! Let's flip the whole usual formula upside down in the manga too by having the Gym Leaders be completely curbstomped by the evil team instead of being pretty much of any help!" I guess my biggest gripe about this is that they achieved this by having Team Plasma just casually catch a trio of Legendary Pokémon, as if it was no big deal at all. (Seriously, Landorus wasn't even weakened when it was caught, what the heck?)

Now let's move on to Archie and Maxie. In the games, they are depicted as villainous exterminists, who basically have good intentions, but end up risking the entire world while coming close to achieving their goals. They even realize this during the game's climax, and go on to return the Orb they stole from Mt. Pyre back to where it should be. Basically, they just got too caught up on fulfilling their desires that they failed to see that they're trying to control forces far beyond their comprehension until it was almost too late, and chose to dedicate themselves to correcting their mistakes afterwards.

But in the manga... Oh, boy, did Kusaka go to infinity and beyond with this depiction of Archie and Maxie. Once they gained what they sought after, namely control over the Legendary Pokémon they had sought after, they became possessed by the Orbs and went completely berserk. However, this was kinda also done in the anime, so that's not my problem. What is my problem that once they're freed from being possessed, they still want to keep the apocalyptic crisis going on and devastate the world. What? Instead of realizing the error of their ways, they do the exact opposite and keep going crazier and crazier as things progress! Not to mention of how they treat their own freaking subordinates! For example, Archie thanks one of his Admins for bringing him the Blue Orb by sending him to his all-but-certain death at the bottom of the ocean!! Again, what?! The manga depicts Archie and Maxie as heartless and practically irredeemable monsters, who only care about their goal and nothing else, not even the lives of those who are loyal to them above all else and have dedicated their lives to serve them without question! Even their heroic return in the Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire chapter couldn't completely make up for this, not to mention of making their heel-face turn feel sorta forced (then again, it was the fate of the planet at stake, so I can at least somewhat get behind it).

And now, as the final character I'll talk about, at least for now, is Zinnia. In the games, she opposed the Devon Corporation's plans of getting rid of the meteoroid due to the legend of the multiverse passed down from generation to generation by her people. And since this was something we, the players, could understand from this side of the fourth wall (not to mention of having it be a good moment of worldbuilding), her reasoning for her actions actually kinda made sense, even though some of her actions were pretty questionable, such as joining the evil team of the game and helping them find and revive the Legendary Pokémon they were after just to summon Rayquaza.

However, since the manga universe all takes place in a single timeline and implements new elements as retcons rather than creating alternate storylines for each new Generation, the multiverse concept does really not exist there (understandable, since Kusaka couldn't have possibly predicted the whole thing even becoming... well, a thing), so Zinnia's motivations for her actions also had to be reinvented. Unfortunately, I feel these reasons were far weaker than those from the games. Sure, it's tragic that Zinnia lost a person very close to her due to the actions of the Devon Corporation, but even the manga acknowledges the thing I'm having issues with: she's mixing up her duty as a lorekeeper with a personal vendetta. Basically, she's opposing the Devon Corporation because they did something horrible to her people in the past, and does not approve their method of stopping the meteoroid just because she hates them, not because her method would avoid killing multiple people in a parallel universe. In the manga, both Devon's and the Draconids' methods are depicted as being pretty much equally valid (high cost, high reward), but Zinnia disapproves the former basically just because they're people she hates and thus she can't let have things going their way. That's it. Almost like a child throwing a tantrum, in my humble opinion.

And sure, they bring up the multiverse possibility in the manga too, but that's only for one panel, and feels only like something that Kusaka just threw in there as a reference to the games, and does not come across as the true source of Zinnia's motivation for me.

Last edited:
Don't like Sampson Oak because of the overuse of his pokemon faces. If he just did puns, that'd be fine but it's the pokemon faces that make him annoying whenever he's onscreen.
If the "worst episode ever" thread is any indication, most people don't like Sampson Oak. Still hoping that him mentioning Porygon in the first episode amounts to something, though.

Oh, and just to clarify what I said ages ago: Japanese Battle Frontier > English Battle Frontier > Spurt.

Also, Diamond and Pearl rap >>> Hoenn Pokérap.

If the "worst episode ever" thread is any indication, most people don't like Sampson Oak. Still hoping that him mentioning Porygon in the first episode amounts to something, though.

Oh, and just to clarify what I said ages ago: Japanese Battle Frontier > English Battle Frontier > Spurt.

Also, Diamond and Pearl rap >>> Hoenn Pokérap.

That's unfortunate. I think Sampson Oak is adorable!

I don't think that Ash's Greninja can rival a Mewtwo even if it's "special". The writers have always made Legendary Pokemon very powerful and often invincible in the manga and anime.
Well with what I seen on Origins Mewtwo it didn't seem all that powerful and even then Origins Red didn't seem like that smart of a trainer so I don't think it really matters.

Back
Top Bottom