• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

You know, i've always been indifferent to Ash's Pidgeot. After watching a Youtuber named Suede review the episodes up until Ash releases it, I saw that it really never did anything while on the team, even he notice it. It was just there and only ever really used to pop TR's balloon. Aside from the episode where Ash used his body to block soem snow from getting into a cavern and the episode where it was actually released, Ash hardly even bonded with it. It was devoid of any real personality and its send-off wasn't even that good, especially if you compare it to Butterfree's. I don't hate it but don't like it much either.

Discussing others' controversial opinions would be out of topic.
From the start, this thread has been used to discuss controversial opinions and it is good to have a conversation about controversial opinions because it sparks a discussion and perhaps makes others look at aspects of the anime in a different way.

/late but I really like Z-Moves and I prefer them to Mega Evolutions. I think that Z-Moves, especially the Pokemon specific ones, give more of a personality to Pokemon and stops some Pokemon from being over-powered.

You know, i've always been indifferent to Ash's Pidgeot. After watching a Youtuber named Suede review the episodes up until Ash releases it, I saw that it really never did anything while on the team, even he notice it. It was just there and only ever really used to pop TR's balloon. Aside from the episode where Ash used his body to block soem snow from getting into a cavern and the episode where it was actually released, Ash hardly even bonded with it. It was devoid of any real personality and its send-off wasn't even that good, especially if you compare it to Butterfree's. I don't hate it but don't like it much either.
I bet that if it wasn't released, people wouldn't even remember it that much.

I think loyal was supposed to be Pidgeot's signature personality trait. In the party panic episode it was contrasted with Charizard due to its loyality vs Charizard's disobedience so I think that’s what they were going for.

I wish they’d have shown more selfless moments for it to highlight the trait more, though.

I think loyal was supposed to be Pidgeot's signature personality trait. In the party panic episode it was contrasted with Charizard due to its loyality vs Charizard's disobedience so I think that’s what they were going for.

I wish they’d have shown more selfless moments for it to highlight the trait more, though.
Really wish they would have, I don't think it ever even interacted with Ash's other Pokemon, Butterfree at least had that scene back in Viridian Forest with Pikachu. I don't know about Noctowl since I never really watched the Johto Saga, but i'm glad the other birds get their time to shine.

I hate Ash in OS. He was such a jerk. A beginning isnt an excuse to treat your pokémon wrong. The movie I choose you! wasnt better in my opinion. Charizard was OP. The rest didnt get many focus. Same with Brock and Misty their pokémon.

Looking back while I still enjoy the first season for nostalgia, the other sagas seemed more enjoyable from an immersive perspective anyway. I can honestly say by this point that if I lived in the anime universe, I would so much rather live in any other region, but Kanto. The other regions just seemed like they had way more friendlier locals. Ash and his friends may have come across a few jerks here and there, but otherwise, Johto, Kalos, heck even Unova wasn't that bad now that I'm watching more of it. All the other six just seem like nicer places to live or visit.

The problem I have with Kanto is some characters seemed a little too mean for my taste. I'm sure that's just a case of the S1 and it's writing style mixed in with the trope early installment weirdness, but still some characters came across as jerks to Ash for very petty reasons or no reason period. Insult perfume? Banned from a gym. You don't know how to raise your Farfetch'd? Steal other trainer's pokemon. Only a day or so new to pokemon training? Get yelled at for not knowing the basics instead of explaining calmly what you did wrong. Okay, maybe I'm being too mean to S1, but I still get this negative vibe looking back. I still like watching the old episodes, but I would rather live in Kalos or Alola or anywhere but Kanto if I were a character in the anime.

Looking back while I still enjoy the first season for nostalgia, the other sagas seemed more enjoyable from an immersive perspective anyway. I can honestly say by this point that if I lived in the anime universe, I would so much rather live in any other region, but Kanto. The other regions just seemed like they had way more friendlier locals. Ash and his friends may have come across a few jerks here and there, but otherwise, Johto, Kalos, heck even Unova wasn't that bad now that I'm watching more of it. All the other six just seem like nicer places to live or visit.

The problem I have with Kanto is some characters seemed a little too mean for my taste. I'm sure that's just a case of the S1 and it's writing style mixed in with the trope early installment weirdness, but still some characters came across as jerks to Ash for very petty reasons or no reason period. Insult perfume? Banned from a gym. You don't know how to raise your Farfetch'd? Steal other trainer's pokemon. Only a day or so new to pokemon training? Get yelled at for not knowing the basics instead of explaining calmly what you did wrong. Okay, maybe I'm being too mean to S1, but I still get this negative vibe looking back. I still like watching the old episodes, but I would rather live in Kalos or Alola or anywhere but Kanto if I were a character in the anime.
I guess a lot of the early instalment weirdness and darkness in season 1 was caused by Takeshi Shudo's original drafts for the show, most which were fortunately at least altered heavily before being added into the show, if not removed altogether. For example, he planned to have the show end up by Pikachu leading a Pokémon rebellion against Trainers. I've also heard of a planned ending where everything was revealed to have been just Ash dreaming and he wakes up into the real world, where Pokémon never existed.

But anyway, yeah. While Shudo was a great writer and created many iconic episodes, it's probably for the best that a lot of his darker ideas for the show were ditched.

For example, he planned to have the show end up by Pikachu leading a Pokémon rebellion against Trainers. I've also heard of a planned ending where everything was revealed to have been just Ash dreaming and he wakes up into the real world, where Pokémon never existed.
Yeah, I heard about some of that. I believe the Diglett episode was meant to foreshadow the rebellion. As for the other ending I wonder if that scene in M20 was a nod to that original ending.

As far as that darkness that was present in S1 goes, I will say that while I had my fair share of complaints, I still love some of the stuff that made it stand out. If my memory serves the first couple of episodes I watched were fairly darkish and kinda scary in a way. They were episodes 15-19. A ship sinks and the main characters and antagonist are trapped, nearly eaten alive by a vicious whirlpool, separated from their pokemon, then when things settle down, they find themselves in city attacked by an army of Tentacool led by a giant angry Tentacruel. "Beauty and the Beach" was the only one missing that I didn't see back in the day (for oblivious reasons). So I can at least appreciate some things Kanto did.

Plus, while I wasn't too fond of some gym leaders, I did like Lt. Surge, Blaine and Koga was at least okay if a bit forgettable. Sabrina was certainly interesting, and if the end to her story was a little more climatic than "make me laugh, so I can gain back my humanity, okay here's your badge" than I would have liked her last episode more. So that's something I guess.

Kanto had its dark moments but it also had its heartful moments; That scene in Viridian Forest where Caterpie was telling Pikachu his dream of being a Butterfree, Butterfree's departue, Pikachu's Goodbye, Snow Way Out, Charizard's departure and even the ending scenes of the Indigo League. I think these are some episodes that people remmeber fondly, though I kind of doubt people are looking back at Goodra or Greninja's departures as fondly. Give it a few years, though maybe.

Speaking of Goodra, I was never too fond of Ash's. Rushed evolution, bland personality, wasn't as good as it could have been and its league battles weren't really worth bringing it back. I vastly preferred Gible. It was fun, quirky and w actually saw it training, instead of it evolving within 16 episodes. Its a shame, the Goomy lines in so adorable and one of my favorite dragon-types.

I'm just gonna say it: I am not a fan of Lugia. I don't outright hate it, but I really don't like it as much as many others do either. The design is just "okay" to me, and regarding its role in the anime... Well, let's talk about that.

When I was growing up, probably around the time when my interest in Pokémon was starting to rekindle around the transitional period from Generation III to Generation IV, I saw The Power of One multiple times, while The First Movie, which I had heard things about from my school friends back in elementary school, kept eluding me until I finally found it on YouTube. I also had the DVD for the second movie for quite a while until I saw the first one on DVD at my godparents' house and they agreed to send me a copy of it too.

So, to put it shortly, I was overexposed to The Power of One so much that I grew tired of it and Lugia, while first my desire to see and later my excitement to see and eventually also obtain Mewtwo Strikes Back made that movie into my favorite Pokémon movie of all time, and probably also helped Mewtwo in becoming my favorite Legendary Pokémon ever.

And as for the Johto episodes featuring Lugia, I never saw those as a kid, since they were never dubbed in Finnish (the Finnish dub skipped a lot of the original series episodes, including all the Orange Islands episodes), so that's that. And to be perfectly honest, I still haven't watched them to this day, even in English. :p

Nothing can top the Rise of Darkrai for me with nostalgia being a big part of that. It’s basically the first Pokémon movie I saw.

I liked Darkrai, the characters, the Pokémon, music being a part of the plot, Piplup creating an icy path and the stakes being high with the city disappearing...
Basically everything about the movie.

So yeah: the Rise of Darkrai being the best Pokemon movie is probably a controversial opinion here since in my experience the Power of One is the most popular movie on these forums.

Despite all the hate that the BW and XY movies get, I actually like at least some of them.

For the Genesect movie, it may be because of my Mewtwo fanboyism, but I honestly believe that the inclusion of a new Mewtwo got way too much hate. I actually found said new Mewtwo a pretty interesting character, which was partially helped by its distinctive female voice and ability to Mega Evolve.

I think the Hoopa movie was good too. I feel that people hate the big scale of the final battle too much. For me, it actually made sense, considering all the Legendary Pokémon that Hoopa makes appear in Hoenn in OR/AS. It was also nice seeing Ash show off his maturity as a Trainer by giving actual battle commands to Legendary Pokémon.

For the Genesect movie, it may be because of my Mewtwo fanboyism, but I honestly believe that the inclusion of a new Mewtwo got way too much hate. I actually found said new Mewtwo a pretty interesting character, which was partially helped by its distinctive female voice and ability to Mega Evolve.
Wow, weird I was just about to talk about the second Mewtwo. I didn't mind the second Mewtwo. I like how different she was from the first, and the English voice actress did a great job.

After thinking back on it, Ash should NOT have gotten Pikachu. I like to think that the Pokemon the Professors give away are bred specifically to be used by beginner trainers, hence Starter Pokemon. So with that in mind no professor worth there merit would give a kid with little Pokemon experience such an aggressive Pikachu. Not only did Pikachu shock Ash unprovoked, it also shocked Oak and the people who showed up to cheer for Ash. If anything Delia should have shown some concern about sending her only son away with a Pokemon who's quick to zap.

Nothing can top the Rise of Darkrai for me with nostalgia being a big part of that. It’s basically the first Pokémon movie I saw.

I liked Darkrai, the characters, the Pokémon, music being a part of the plot, Piplup creating an icy path and the stakes being high with the city disappearing...
Basically everything about the movie.

So yeah: the Rise of Darkrai being the best Pokemon movie is probably a controversial opinion here since in my experience the Power of One is the most popular movie on these forums.

I wouldn't call it my top favorite (I'd probably put the Lucario and Entei movies over it) but it is up there for me. I like it more than the 2nd movie.

Another one: the Mewtwo movie was nice and emotional, but it was a bit too gloomy for me to enjoy to its fullest when I first saw it.
Mew and the TRio's interactions brought some much needed lightheartedness to the movie and I loved Mew's innocence. Mewtwo can go to hell though.

As for the Power of One, whenever it aired in my regional dub our house ended up with cable issues and I never saw it as a consequence. Perhaps Arceus doesn’t want me to see the movie for some reason. I stopped bothering to try to watch the movie a long time ago. I prefer Ho-oh to Lugia anyway (another controversial opinion?).

Back
Top Bottom