• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Nothing can top the Rise of Darkrai for me with nostalgia being a big part of that. It’s basically the first Pokémon movie I saw.

I liked Darkrai, the characters, the Pokémon, music being a part of the plot, Piplup creating an icy path and the stakes being high with the city disappearing...
Basically everything about the movie.

So yeah: the Rise of Darkrai being the best Pokemon movie is probably a controversial opinion here since in my experience the Power of One is the most popular movie on these forums.
The Rise of Darkrai is my favourite movie too! I really liked Sinnoh and this movie had a really good plotline. It wasn't cringey and there was an ordered plot with good character development. The music was a really big part of it and I like how they weaved it into the story.

Nothing can top the Rise of Darkrai for me with nostalgia being a big part of that. It’s basically the first Pokémon movie I saw.

I liked Darkrai, the characters, the Pokémon, music being a part of the plot, Piplup creating an icy path and the stakes being high with the city disappearing...
Basically everything about the movie.

So yeah: the Rise of Darkrai being the best Pokemon movie is probably a controversial opinion here since in my experience the Power of One is the most popular movie on these forums.

The Rise of Darkrai is my favourite movie too! I really liked Sinnoh and this movie had a really good plotline. It wasn't cringey and there was an ordered plot with good character development. The music was a really big part of it and I like how they weaved it into the story.
While not my favorite Pokémon movies, I think the first two Sinnoh movies have pretty good plots, but the Arceus movie is where I see the whole overall plot falling flat.

First off, we are introduced to these new characters, one of whom is a girl with a Deus ex Machina power to communicate with Legendary Pokémon, while the other one is a boy who serves no other purpose to the plot than being with the girl so that Brock's heart can be broken once more at the end, and the two together suddenly claim to have been present during the events of the first two movies all along. Sorry, but I don't buy it. They try to make themselves sound oh-so-important and totally a part of all of this whole incident, even though we've never seen them before. It also doesn't help that the girl is so utterly blind that she does not even realize she's unwittingly helping the bad guy until it's too late.

Secondly, the time travel physics in this movie are so unbelievably screwed up that a guy like me, who likes science and sci-fi, cannot understand or accept it. The movie adaptation manga at least improved on that department by making the changes in the past having had instantaneous effects in the present, although that wasn't all the problem the movie had in regards to this.

And finally, Arceus itself. I personally have always wondered what it would've sounded like if they had gotten the voice actor they planned for it and if it would've improved the quality of the movie. That's pretty much it. I really don't have as much issues with Arceus as with the other stuff in this movie. Just thinking if the intended voice actor would've changed anything.

Last edited:
Secondly, the time travel physics in this movie are so unbelievably screwed up that a guy like me, who likes science and sci-fi, cannot understand or accept it.
I like the Sinnoh trilogy myself, but I get where you are coming from. I've played games like Okami and even that had a somewhat screwy time traveling moment in the plot. Time travel is something that can be very, very hard to get right in story telling.

I like the Sinnoh trilogy myself, but I get where you are coming from. I've played games like Okami and even that had a somewhat screwy time traveling moment in the plot. Time travel is something that can be very, very hard to get right in story telling.
I totally agree. My friend and I took High school physics when the movie came out and we were laughing at how wrong it was. But I think they did it very well considering that they got it wrong because they need it to fit the story and sometimes it can be very complex. That’s why I wasn’t too fussed about it when I watched it.

There is no "right" way for time travel to work.
Good point. Writing time travel is like getting yourself trapped in a maze.
No absolutely truth maybe, but there are still many logical failures in the time travel mechanics in this movie. For example:

* Why aren't the changes to the present time instantaneous?
** And by extension, why do we see the changes actually happening?
* Why does everybody who stayed at the present the whole time see that the past has been changed at all, and are aware that anything has changed at all?
* Why are Ash and his friends disappearing when the future is about to change? Shouldn't they just return to their own time instead of fading away?

If you want to see a proper display of how time travel in sci-fi should work, there was one episode during the Battle Frontier series where those mechanics were handled a lot better, even given how overly sugary the used time travel method and its results were. The changes to the future had been instantaneous, and no one who had stayed in the present had any idea that anything had changed at all.

If you want to see a proper display of how time travel in sci-fi should work, there was one episode during the Battle Frontier series where those mechanics were handled a lot better, even given how overly sugary the used time travel method and its results were. The changes to the future had been instantaneous, and no one who had stayed in the present had any idea that anything had changed at all.
I get you. That seems to be the simplest way of doing it. Maybe writers everywhere have been doing too much with time travel plots. The simpler, the better, I guess. Funny how many tv shows actually lampshade how confusing time travel can be, isn't it? :confused:

I wish the anime had more recurring characters that aren't rivals. The shows all about traveling and bonds, so why not reuse some of those COTDs? Remember AJ, that green-haired kid from Kanto with the Sandshrew? I think someone who won 100 battles in a row, with possibly just his Sandshrew, would have made a pretty good league rival. I think it'd be pretty cool to see him show up in Sun and Moon with an Alolan Sandshrew. Although, knowing him he'd probably chuck it in some fire to raise its resistance to the element.

No absolutely truth maybe, but there are still many logical failures in the time travel mechanics in this movie. For example:

* Why aren't the changes to the present time instantaneous?
** And by extension, why do we see the changes actually happening?
* Why does everybody who stayed at the present the whole time see that the past has been changed at all, and are aware that anything has changed at all?
* Why are Ash and his friends disappearing when the future is about to change? Shouldn't they just return to their own time instead of fading away?
None of these are logical failures.

I wish the anime had more recurring characters that aren't rivals. The shows all about traveling and bonds, so why not reuse some of those COTDs? Remember AJ, that green-haired kid from Kanto with the Sandshrew? I think someone who won 100 battles in a row, with possibly just his Sandshrew, would have made a pretty good league rival. I think it'd be pretty cool to see him show up in Sun and Moon with an Alolan Sandshrew. Although, knowing him he'd probably chuck it in some fire to raise its resistance to the element.
Early instalment weirdness again. The original series wasn't really that keen in introducing recurring characters outside of the main cast, main supporting characters, main villains (like Giovanni), and the rivals. Heck, even many of the original series Gym Leaders only appeared in a single episode. The Sun & Moon series has actually been pretty good at making even some minor characters recurring ones.
None of these are logical failures.
To me they are.

Here's one that I come to realize recently. Oh man, okay here it is. Now while I do still want Ash to win the league and by extension finally beat four Elite four members in a row and a champion. I do believe saving the world is more important. The Kalos League was one thing, but seeing Ash tell Lysandre what he thinks about his "perfect world" and even flat out say that he loves the world he lives in made me see that Ash is a real hero, even if he doesn't win the league. Really I'm just using XY(Z) as one example. Seeing him lose the league may continue to be frustrating and I myself will always be upset he doesn't win, but I can at least look at Ash and say "you helped save the world, which is just as important, not to mention dangerous". Pretty much what I'm getting at is many main characters aren't always going to win, but when they win the most important battles that will decide the fate of everyone else, they fulfilled their duty as a true protagonist. Also look at it this way. No world means no future leagues for Ash to compete in.

P.S. I still hope that Ash wins the league (even if the chances are slim to none). Okay, just needed to add this to show that just because I think other things are more important doesn't mean I don't care about Ash's League battles. I still want him to win those for sure!

Last edited:
The weakest part of Hoopa and the Clash of Ages was the brawl between legendaries. You have beings of time, space, land, sea, sky, portal-making, and much more there, yet the fight was boring as hell. They just shot projectiles at each other rather than did something interesting. Have Palkia warp space to make large spaces seem crowded, have Dialga in a fight scene where everything is moving backwards through time, allow Giratina to snipe enemies from the comfort of the Reverse World. Just do something big and visually interesting.

The weakest part of Hoopa and the Clash of Ages was the brawl between legendaries. You have beings of time, space, land, sea, sky, portal-making, and much more there, yet the fight was boring as hell. They just shot projectiles at each other rather than did something interesting. Have Palkia warp space to make large spaces seem crowded, have Dialga in a fight scene where everything is moving backwards through time, allow Giratina to snipe enemies from the comfort of the Reverse World. Just do something big and visually interesting.
I think for that Unbound Hoppa was controlling them and he didn't know how they worked.

I hated the Hoopa movie's Legendary Pokemon hype even before the movie premiered because I knew from experience that a bunch of powerful Pokemon shooting beams at each other would get old quick, but noooooo. So many fans called me cynical for thinking that the fights would be stupid and pointless. :cautious:

An opinion I already wrote which I'd love to discuss: after reading Dr. Fuji's backstory, does anyone agree with me Mewtwo should go to hell?
Having a series of thoughts about life is no excuse for murder, causing a world-wide weather crisis ( that most possibly killed someone), brainwashing people and abusing children. (And Pokemon, too).

An opinion I already wrote which I'd love to discuss: after reading Dr. Fuji's backstory, does anyone agree with me Mewtwo should go to hell?
Having a series of thoughts about life is no excuse for murder, causing a world-wide weather crisis ( that most possibly killed someone), brainwashing people and abusing children. (And Pokemon, too).

I'm like 90% sure that Mewtwo's storm was only "worldwide" in the dub, while it was merely centered around New Island and the nearby mainland in the original version. But yeah, I despise Mewtwo and his 180 degree turn redemption.

He was more like confused in the Japanese version. He honestly wasn't as "evil" as the dub made him seem.

Back
Top Bottom