• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I'll never understand why people want the Orange Islands to have its own game. Looking back on it, not only would the selection of Pokemon be pretty limited, some of the challenges the Orange Crew gives you are pretty unfair towards some trainers.

Take Danny's challenge for example; You need an Ice-type move or an Ice-type Pokemon to freeze geyser water, and considering there are spread out tropical islands, good luck with that. You also either need a Pokemon that can cut said ice or melt it into bobsled to race down a mountain. I've never ridden in one before, so I don't know how difficult it could be.

And then there's Cissy, the first of the crew that Ash ran into. You absolutely need a water-type to challenge her. She doesn't recommend you have one, she pretty much demands it. Yeah, you could say that most trainers would probably have one on their team, but then every team is different. Not every trainer's gonna want a Water-Type on their squad, after all.

The other three are fair, Rudy'll just put you through some kind of test of skill, while Luana double battles you and Drake just battle you. So with all of that, are we sure Drake remained undefeated because he was too tough? Or was it just the lack of challenges he received due to the other of the Orange Crews' methods?

Course, I could be wrong. Maybe Cissy can be reasoned with or maybe Danny has multiple challenges you can go through. I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
I'll never understand why people want the Orange Islands to have its own game. Looking back on it, not only would the selection of Pokemon be pretty limited, some of the challenges the Orange Crew gives you are pretty unfair towards some trainers.

Take Danny's challenge for example; You need an Ice-type move or an Ice-type Pokemon to freeze geyser water, and considering there are spread out tropical islands, good luck with that. You also either need a Pokemon that can cut said ice or melt it into bobsled to race down a mountain. I've never ridden in one before, so I don't know how difficult it could be.

And then there's Cissy, the first of the crew that Ash ran into. You absolutely need a water-type to challenge her. She doesn't recommend you have one, she pretty much demands it. Yeah, you could say that most trainers would probably have one on their team, but then every team is different. Not every trainer's gonna want a Water-Type on their squad, after all.

The other three are fair, Rudy'll just put you through some kind of test of skill, while Luana Drake just battle you. So with all of that, are we sure Drake remained undefeated because he was too tough? Or was it just the lack of challenges he received due to the other of the Orange Crews' methods?

Course, I could be wrong. Maybe Cissy can be reasoned with or maybe Danny has multiple challenges you can go through. I wouldn't know.
On the topic of Orange Islands Gyms, isn't it funny how much Alola's trials ended up being like them six generations later? I think the only reason they (or at least most of them) are even called Gyms is because Gyms were still an unbroken tradition by this point.

You also either need a Pokemon that can cut said ice or melt it into bobsled to race down a mountain. I've never ridden in one before, so I don't know how difficult it could be.

I'd like to add that Charizard's flamethrowers carving a perfect sled was unrealistic. Logically the flamethrowers should’ve melted the entire slab of ice with no sort of precision.

On the topic of Orange Islands Gyms, isn't it funny how much Alola's trials ended up being like them six generations later? I think the only reason they (or at least most of them) are even called Gyms is because Gyms were still an unbroken tradition by this point.
Didn't Luana introduce official Double Battles into the anime before the games did too?

Didn't Luana introduce official Double Battles into the anime before the games did too?
Yeah. They weren't introduced in the games until Generation III, meaning that Game Freak hadn't probably even thought about putting it into the games by that point! Or they had and the technical limitations just were too great before GBA.

At least with the trials, you're allowed to use any Pokemon you have on you. I can't imagine how upset some people would be if you could only use water-types for Lana's trial or Fire-Types for Kiawe's.

With Ash still not having full experience with each Pokemon type I really believe leaving Haunter with Sabrina was, no doubt, one decision they should've thought over. I think a Ghost type would have been an interesting challenge for Ash to train, and it would've helped him out in later League and Frontier battles, I'm sure.

Little EDIT

Last edited:
With Ash still not having full experience with each Pokemon type I really believe leaving Haunter with Sabrina was, no doubt, one decision they should've thought over. I think a Ghost type would have been an interesting challenge for Ash to train.
Shame it didn't get a cameo when Ash and Crew returned to Saffron City during the Battle Frontier Saga.

I was thinking that myself. That would've been nice. Shame too, I really liked it for a Pokemon that only appeared in 2 episodes.
The BF Saga could have been used for plenty of call backs, really. Especially since FR/LG had been released. We could have seen how Primeape was holding up, Pidgeot could have been visited, Ash could have re-battled a Gym Leader or maybe even some of those GYm Leaders could have been in May's contests.

The BF Saga could have been used for plenty of call backs, really. Especially since FR/LG had been released. We could have seen how Primeape was holding up, Pidgeot could have been visited, Ash could have re-battled a Gym Leader or maybe even some of those GYm Leaders could have been in May's contests.
Or just reappeared in general.

At least with the trials, you're allowed to use any Pokemon you have on you. I can't imagine how upset some people would be if you could only use water-types for Lana's trial or Fire-Types for Kiawe's.
It's not like GameFreak is too far from asking for that. This is literally what you need to do to face Brock in LGPE.

Hmm, I just realized that I don't necessarily like the first dub Opening theme. Like, the song is nostalgic to me in the sense that it reminds me of my childhood, yet I don't get pumped up when I hear it. I kinda enjoyed the Mewtwo movie remix, though.

but only being able to sue that type? No thanks.

Lawyers are shook.

The Lunala/Necrozma arc was terrible.

I hadn't been too harsh on it because everyone seems to say that it's "meh" at worst, so I assume I may be missing out on something, haven't paid attention to some stuff that would make it better, etc. Maybe I should rewatch it, but as it stands, there's almost nothing on it that I genuinely liked.

The Lunala/Necrozma arc was terrible.

I hadn't been too harsh on it because everyone seems to say that it's "meh" at worst, so I assume I may be missing out on something, haven't paid attention to some stuff that would make it better, etc. Maybe I should rewatch it, but as it stands, there's almost nothing on it that I genuinely liked.
Why dont you like it?

Why dont you like it?
That's another reason I haven't criticised it much, I can't quite put my finger on it.

What does come to my mind though is:
  • Out of the main characters, Ash and Gladion were the only ones that did something memorable.
  • The Matori Matrix didn't feel like a huge threat for being elite TR members.
  • Jessie, James and Meowth did nothing.
  • The Lunala/Lillie connection was the most forced thing ever.
  • Naganadel's only role was plot exposition.
  • Necrozma's... "bipolar" personality was not explained too much. He just recieves light and chills out.
  • Overall the Ultra Guardian's role felt really passive in that the only thing they had to do was "send energy". I appreciate the concept it that it is unique, but again, it doesn't feel like any of them did much.

That's another reason I haven't criticised it much, I can't quite put my finger on it.

What does come to my mind though is:
  • Out of the main characters, Ash and Gladion were the only ones that did something memorable.
  • The Matori Matrix didn't feel like a huge threat for being elite TR members.
  • Jessie, James and Meowth did nothing.
  • The Lunala/Lillie connection was the most forced thing ever.
  • Naganadel's only role was plot exposition.
  • Necrozma's... "bipolar" personality was not explained too much. He just recieves light and chills out.
  • Overall the Ultra Guardian's role felt really passive in that the only thing they had to do was "send energy". I appreciate the concept it that it is unique, but again, it doesn't feel like any of them did much.
Thank you for giving your opinion on it! I really liked to read it! ^^

WARNING
Those of you who prefer the Japanese version, do not open this spoiler, because I’ve got some really strong opinions here!

1. I prefer Maddie Blaustein over Inoko Inuyama.
2. I like “Brother, My Brother” (Dogasu, please don’t kill me for this one).
3. I like Lisa Ortiz’s voices on the show.
4. The dub of Mewtwo Strikes Back wasn’t all that bad (see #2).
5. 4Kids was justified in removing jokes that wouldn’t work in English. Remember, just because it was in the Japanese version doesn’t mean it was actually good.

Back
Top Bottom