• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I didn't really like Tracey's hair much either, but the guy at least had a goal and a few Pokemon, plus he met his idol and got closure. I'd rather have ten of him running around than have to suffer through Max or Bonnie again.

I didn't really like Tracey's hair much either, but the guy at least had a goal and a few Pokemon, plus he met his idol and got closure. I'd rather have ten of him running around than have to suffer through Max or Bonnie again.
I liked Max, but Bonnie (especially her American counterpart) annoys me to no end.

I know some fans aren't exactly fond of TPCi for a multitude of reasons, and prefer 4Kids more, but I would like to point out as someone who generally just enjoys watching Pokemon that I honestly think neither one is better or worse than the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. They are both as far as I'm concerned different but equal. Where I stand I don't have a particular preference when it comes to the dub, I don't care who's in charge, I just want to watch the episodes. It doesn't technically matter for me much nowadays anyway since I usually watch the Japanese version first, but I just thought I'd point this out.

Each series has its style, its pacing and its cast. You cant compare the series with eachother because they are so different. Like you cant compare shippings, because for example Serenas and Ashes relationship is totally different from Ashes and Misty's. You cant compare SM with any other series because there wasnt any other pokémon comedy based series. I mean that its fully based on comedy and not moments of comedy.
You cant compare the Team Flare Arc with the Necrozma Arc because they are the opposite of eachother. And I have had it with that! Or you can start to watch SM as a real series or you stop. Dont say "I will watch it only if the episode is interesting". Its a story: or you watch them all or you dont and you never speak of it again. Dont give your opinions on things you didnt see. If you don't like it, watch another anime series, but never say it was bad or I didnt like it. Stop bashing series like SM because they aren't your cup of tea.

While Bonnie was nice, Max felt like a "I know it all" kind of person and it annoyed me.

Yes but even as annoying as Max was, at least the kid knew lots about Pokemon despite his young age, while Bonnie was much more clueless and spent more time shrieking "onii-chan, keepu!" when she saw a cute Pokemon than taking the time to learn about them. Just my two pesos.

Jessie, James, and Meowth are sort of a golden calf. They have their moments but, they been around a long time and they didn't have to be. Honestly considering the resounding ambivalence towards Brock's final goodbye I don't think the TRio are that important. They are iconic sure but, their utilization being a major factor on how well written the anime is? Naw.

Jessie's personality is mostly just old negative stereotypes about women. She's vain. She cares a great deal about her appearance. She wants to famous. She's materialistic. She's domineering and sometimes physically abusive. But she's totally a deep character because she's a villian who cares about her friends and, has a synpathetic backstory... which is barely touched on anymore if at all.

Jessie, James, and Meowth are sort of a golden calf. They have their moments but, they been around a long time and they didn't have to be. Honestly considering the resounding ambivalence towards Brock's final goodbye I don't think the TRio are that important. They are iconic sure but, their utilization being a major factor on how well written the anime is? Naw.

Jessie's personality is mostly just old negative stereotypes about women. She's vain. She cares a great deal about her appearance. She wants to famous. She's materialistic. She's domineering and sometimes physically abusive. But she's totally a deep character because she's a villian who cares about her friends and, has a synpathetic backstory... which is barely touched on anymore if at all.
Just like Meowth or James'

Really with the TR trio I only liked James and Meowth.

I like them. I don't see anything wrong with them. And, as I've said in the past, there was a time at the end of the original series when the anime creative team were forced to decide whether to put Misty or Team Rocket out of the current main cast. They knew both options were bad, but in the end, they chose what they felt was the lesser of the two bads, and I think they made a right choice.

Last edited:
I like TR too. I do agree and that they don't need to be in every episode but, when they do I'd like them to have a bit more of an impact around.
That's why Team Rocket in Hoenn, and to a certain extent in Sinnoh as well, really suffered from being forced to appear in every episode, often resulting in them being treated as clownish comic relief characters. The Best Wishes series had its flaws, but one of the things it did right was not have Team Rocket appear in every episode. And even though the trio fortunately returned to their less serious ways in later series, they still don't appear in every episode, which has done wonders to them and given them a much-needed facelift.

I think that it would be a shame for the TRio to split. Jessie has an outgoing and loud personality and that compliments James' personality well as he is sometimes reserved and thoughtful but Jessie can help him out of his shell. Meowth is really funny and has a dry sense of humour which makes the tragedies of the TRio really funny. I think they all compliment each other well and the actual friendship they have is really sweet tbh.

A thing that really jars me while rewatching the early anime is how Meowth acted. He was very bossy and considered himself the leader of the trio for a large majority of the first season, and would even go out of his way to interrupt the motto several times. I personally like how this bossy attitude has since then been mostly transferred over to Jessie. It suits her way better IMO. It also helps that her bossy attitude isn't as serious and boring as it was with Meowth.

But she's totally a deep character because she's a villian who cares about her friends and, has a synpathetic backstory... which is barely touched on anymore if at all.

I'd have more sympathy for her if she didn't have like three totally different backstories. Some consistency with her past would be nice.

But I don't necessarily dislike the trio themselves, just the blue intruder who I've never warmed up to.

I'd have more sympathy for her if she didn't have like three totally different backstories. Some consistency with her past would be nice.
I don't see any conflicting backstories with Jessie. To me, all of her backstories fit together pretty smoothly.

FinnishPokéFan92 said:
I don't see any conflicting backstories with Jessie. To me, all of her backstories fit together pretty smoothly.

The fact that we were shown in Chronicles that Jessie first met James when they were working as trainee Team Rocket members, despite us having previously been informed that they actually knew each other as children when they were members of the same bike gang back in Kanto, which in turn contradicts the fact that before that we were also told that they knew each other when they attended Pokemon Tech together isn't conflicting... ? Like, that's a pretty big contradiction in Jessie's backstory.

Back
Top Bottom