• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Something small, but in the anime why is it that Meowth's the only Pokemon that has a gender-specific pronoun when he's not named but everyone other Pokemon is just called 'it'? I know that 99% of the time a Pokemon's gender doesn't factor into anything, but its just always been strange to me. Pikachu and plenty of other Pokemon already have confirmed genders, so why not just say he or she? I'm pretty sure irl, most people call their pets either he or she, and here Pokemon have much more intelligence than any animal in our world.

Does anyone else feel like SM the most hollow the anime has gotten or is it just me?
I watched the first episode once, and I had that feeling too. It's like they made it too kiddy for the 90s nostalgia audience they're trying to pander to. Come to think of it, that's how I felt about Power Rangers Samurai when I watched it as a kid.

I watched the first episode once, and I had that feeling too. It's like they made it too kiddy for the 90s nostalgia audience they're trying to pander to. Come to think of it, that's how I felt about Power Rangers Samurai when I watched it as a kid.
Don't judge the whole thing based on just one episode.

When Iris was introduced as Ash's travelling companion for Best Wishes, I really wanted her character to be the following:
  • Very rural in temperament and lacking in social customs & norms; speaks like a country bumpkin. This is because of her upbringing in the Village of Dragons/White's (2) version of Opelucid City. I thought it'd be really interesting to see how that dynamic interacts with Ash, since he's never had a companion like that before. Also, if there's a tree, she's in it.
  • I wanted her to be a very outdoorsy person with a penchant for naturally produced elements. I'm talking about refusing to sleep in Pokemon Centers, only eating fruits, vegetables, and whatever else she gathered, sleeping in trees, doesn't use hair products, bathing in public/natural areas (for comedic effect, of course) and the like. Over time, she'd come to appreciate modern aspects of living, but not before vehemently preferring to be outside rather than inside.
  • Very spiritualistic and superstitious. And this would be consistently portrayed throughout the saga. She'd also get into arguments with Clian often, and insult him (playfully) whenever she could.
  • I also wanted her to be younger-older than Max (and Bonnie) but younger than Misty (May, Dawn, & Serena, etc.). So that way, her interactions with Ash are more brother-sister like than how his previous relationships with female characters were construed. Sadly they upped her age to Ash's equivalent rather than following the games (which leads to more shipping elements and the like).
  • She would own all three Unovian dragons and already have battle experience prior to meeting Ash. He'd also get his 8th (or 7th, depending on how the anime went) badge from her akin to how he got the Voltage Badge from Clemont. However, her match with Ash ends in a tie-because she's that good.
  • She'd be an integral part to Zekrom and Reshiram's appearance (as well as Kyurem), akin to N. Hell, they could even make her the main star for that arc and have her bond with, preferably, Zekrom while opposing N and Reshiram. Have her really showcase her The Girl who understands the Hearts of Dragons title.
  • Her journey would end with a fierce battle against Drayden, resulting in her winning with all the experience she's gathered. As Ash leaves, she becomes the new Opelucid Gym Leader.
  • Her Axew evolves all the way into a Haxorus while Deino only reaches the Zweilous stage (in a side story after the arc, it's become a Hydreigon). She still gets Dragonite and its obedience issues, but after the Unova League.
I know her character had a couple instances of what I've mentioned, but that's it-they were only instances that largely dropped midway into the series.

Something else that came to my mind; Why do people assume Ash would steamroll everyone if he used six of his strongest Pokemon for a league? He'd put up a hell of a fight, but I don't think he'd just destroy whoever he's facing effortlessly. He's not the only trainer in the world who's traveled through multiple regions and we know others have Pokemon in reserve too, like Paul. Against the likes of Trip, Sawyer(maybe), Bianca and Barry(maybe again), he'd likely beat them down. But Paul, Alain and probably Cameron? I don't know about that.

• Very rural in temperament and lacking in social customs & norms; speaks like a country bumpkin. This is because of her upbringing in the Village of Dragons/White's (2) version of Opelucid City. I thought it'd be really interesting to see how that dynamic interacts with Ash, since he's never had a companion like that before. Also, if there's a tree, she's in it.
  • I wanted her to be a very outdoorsy person with a penchant for naturally produced elements. I'm talking about refusing to sleep in Pokemon Centers, only eating fruits, vegetables, and whatever else she gathered, sleeping in trees, doesn't use hair products, bathing in public/natural areas (for comedic effect, of course) and the like. Over time, she'd come to appreciate modern aspects of living, but not before vehemently preferring to be outside rather than inside.
  • Very spiritualistic and superstitious. And this would be consistently portrayed throughout the saga. She'd also get into arguments with Clian often, and insult him (playfully) whenever she could.

This could end up being kinda racist tho.

I don't think that those three bullet points having anything to do with race to be honest. Everyone is different and I feel like they did something different with a character in the anime and Iris just happened not to be white.

So, not sure how controversial this opinion is, but this was the best pace I could think of to put it.

I'm only one episode in and Lillie already annoys me. It's her voice. It just really annoys me. I know it's the first episode, so hopefully she's able to grow into the role as things go along. Also, if the first few seconds of episode two are anything to go by, I'm gonna feel the same way about Lana pretty soon.
Also the fact that I'm watching the English dub is probably important context.

So, not sure how controversial this opinion is, but this was the best pace I could think of to put it.

I'm only one episode in and Lillie already annoys me. It's her voice. It just really annoys me. I know it's the first episode, so hopefully she's able to grow into the role as things go along. Also, if the first few seconds of episode two are anything to go by, I'm gonna feel the same way about Lana pretty soon.
Also the fact that I'm watching the English dub is probably important context.
You should give the subbed version a whirl. If it's her voice that's bothering you, watch a couple first episodes of the series with subtitles and then think which version you prefer.

I'm only one episode in and Lillie already annoys me. It's her voice. It just really annoys me. I know it's the first episode, so hopefully she's able to grow into the role as things go along.
Sadly, that's not gonna happen, Her voice is awful, worst voice acting for main character of the whole show.

Oof, that's a rough response. Especially given that Netflix only has the English version. I'll give it some time and hopefully at least get used to the terribleness so it doesn't affect me so much. Because if I can't then that's really gonna hurt the show's watchability. Which is a shame because I was really hoping to be able to like this.

Yeah, Lillie's dub voice is pretty bad. I've gotten used to it, but it's certainly not my ideal voice for the character. She always sounds so high pitched and squeaky. It almost sounds more like a joke voice for a rich kid than how someone could actually talk. Most of the other voices for the SM cast are pretty good or at least okay, but Lillie is easily the worst one of the bunch.

Yeah, Lillie's dub voice is pretty bad. I've gotten used to it, but it's certainly not my ideal voice for the character. She always sounds so high pitched and squeaky. It almost sounds more like a joke voice for a rich kid than how someone could actually talk. Most of the other voices for the SM cast are pretty good or at least okay, but Lillie is easily the worst one of the bunch.
Which is pretty sad, because she's probably has the most interesting and deep character out of all the Sun & Moon main characters.

It's a shame that the voice direction is so poor in Lillie's (Laurie Hymes's) case. I'm sure she could fit well with better direction but alas as it is now she sounds like she's popped out of some cheapo Saturday morning cartoon.

Probably gonna stick out like a sore thumb even more now that Laurie's going to be in another NYAV Post dub which I can guarantee you she's gonna sound far better in that.
Eleven Arts Reveals Liz and the Blue Bird Anime Film's English Dub Cast
=========================================================

Poipole was never that interesting of a character in the anime to me. All it had going for it was some precious time for Pikachu but it didn't do anything worthwhile. Oh and it's Japanese voice was super duper grating.

Poipole was never that interesting of a character in the anime to me. All it had going for it was some precious time for Pikachu but it didn't do anything worthwhile. Oh and it's Japanese voice was super duper grating.
I thought Poipole was cute, and I liked its voice. Also, nothing says it can't still come back.

Back
Top Bottom