• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Well after watching the eps you guys recommended to me overall all I have to say is I like ep 100 and 101 more than ep 108. Not to say 108 was bad but I feel like I got more out of the former than the latter. If I have to rate them out of 5 then.
100 and 101 would get a 4 out of 5.
And 108 would get a 3 out of 5.

Honestly, Mallow and Lana were competing for my least favourite SM companion before that episode happened. I didn’t like Mallow much before that, but seeing her experience something I could relate to in such a gut wrenching manner, and the way Lana supported her highly improved my opinion on both of them.

Now Sophocles has ended up being my least favourite companion, no contest.

Honestly, Mallow and Lana were competing for my least favourite SM companion before that episode happened. I didn’t like Mallow much before that, but seeing her experience something I could relate to in such a gut wrenching manner, and the way Lana supported her highly improved my opinion on both of them.

Now Sophocles has ended up being my least favourite companion, no contest.
I personally have liked Lana for a good while now. She's such a colorful character.

I personally have liked Lana for a good while now. She's such a colorful character.

I agree. In fact, I'd personally say that Lana is my favorite main female in the entire series thus far - not for her development, but purely for her personality. She's so spontaneous and outrageous, and has so many different sides to her character; it's almost like she's the very personification of the sea itself!

Since everyone’s sharing favourite characters...

Personally I ended up writing a long rant during the Necrozma arc which ended up making Gladion my favourite character in the series even though he doesn’t appear often (which is a CRIME writers!).

He provides a nice contrast to Ash’s personality. Ash’s personality resembles the Sun, cheerful and sunny (pun not intended) . He often shows his usual determination and taking things easy will solve any problem, while Gladion is more rational and calculative. He’s also comparatively calmer like the moon which is depicted as serene.

I was glad that Gladion was chosen to perform Lunala’s Z-Move and not Lillie with a Z-Ring.
They tried to build a connection of Lillie and Lunala, but Gladion works much better in that regard.

EDIT; not to mention that he is respectful and not a jerk for no reason, and neither too happy to lucky or taking Ash as an inspiration.
He also ended up asking the most glaringly question in universe: Why does Ash get everything special?

I actually like him more than Ash in this saga.
Kiawe is a close second, followed by Mallow after the recent episode.

Last edited:
I like Gladion too and I think he's underrated. But I can see why people don't talk much about him: a) Alain PTSD and b) In ALL of 2018 he only appeared during the Necrozma Arc so people forgot about him.

I don't like Lana at all, she's my all-time less favorite companion. She started with a very unclear role in the group, until she established herself as a shy badass. I don't mind when that's played for comedy, but when it's played to make her a Mary Sue and receiving free gifts I can't stand her. She has become a better battler but I don't see how she has developed in other ways.

I don't like Lana at all, she's my all-time less favorite companion. She started with a very unclear role in the group, until she established herself as a shy badass. I don't mind when that's played for comedy, but when it's played to make her a Mary Sue and receiving free gifts I can't stand her. She has become a better battler but I don't see how she has developed in other ways.
The biased part of me wants to rant you down to the core of the Earth right now.

I like Gladion too and I think he's underrated. But I can see why people don't talk much about him: a) Alain PTSD and b) In ALL of 2018 he only appeared during the Necrozma Arc so people forgot about him.

I don't think that Gladion is that similar to Alain. He isn't nearly as overpowered or as blatantly a Gary Stu compared to Alain. I do think that his minimal appearances really hurt his character though. He hasn't really appeared that much during the series and similar to Lillie, I don't think that SM has done a good job adapting his storyline from the games. Not making Lusamine an emotionally abusive mother really impacts both of their storylines. With the Island Challenge being basically an afterthought, Ash doesn't have much use for a rival either.

Nicolas721 said:

I can't really judge Lana that much considering I haven't seen the more recent episodes, but I still don't really like the complaint about how she was just handed Eevee as if Ash somehow deserved it more. It always makes me wonder if people would be this upset if Lillie somehow caught Eevee instead considering she is much more popular than any of the other SM characters. Maybe I'll get a different impression when the dub reaches to that episode, but I don't know if getting some upgrades to her team after spending nearly one hundred episodes with just Popplio is enough to make Lana a Mary Sue.

The biased part of me wants to rant you down to the core of the Earth right now.

Please do it, I prefer liking characters than hating them, maybe you'll convince me.
I can't really judge Lana that much considering I haven't seen the more recent episodes, but I still don't really like the complaint about how she was just handed Eevee as if Ash somehow deserved it more. It always makes me wonder if people would be this upset if Lillie somehow caught Eevee instead considering she is much more popular than any of the other SM characters. Maybe I'll get a different impression when the dub reaches to that episode, but I don't know if getting some upgrades to her team after spending nearly one hundred episodes with just Popplio is enough to make Lana a Mary Sue.

I'm neutral towards her Eevee, it hasn't battled much so we can't say if it's strong or not. My complain comes from a later episode.

I haven't watched too much of the Sun/Moon anime, but why're people upset that Lana got Eevee? I know it appeared next to him in some poster, but when has Ash ever gotten the chance to get an Eevee? Especially considering there weren't any new Eeveelutions this generations. I can only think that people are thinking about Aipom, but she was caught in a filler season, after Hoenn was done and Sinnoh was on the way.

I don't think that Gladion is that similar to Alain. He isn't nearly as overpowered or as blatantly a Gary Stu compared to Alain. I do think that his minimal appearances really hurt his character though. He hasn't really appeared that much during the series and similar to Lillie, I don't think that SM has done a good job adapting his storyline from the games. Not making Lusamine an emotionally abusive mother really impacts both of their storylines. With the Island Challenge being basically an afterthought, Ash doesn't have much use for a rival either.

I like the Aether arc, but I have to agree with you that Gladion didn't really had much to offer in that arc. Though, the stuff with Mohn might hopefully lead to some interesting story arc/conflicts or does something with his character.

I'm utterly baffled that anyone hates any of the SM main characters, as I find them all to have tons of personality and I love they interact with each other. I guess that's a controversial opinion in and of itself.
I don't think a lot of people hate them, but hate how underdeveloped they are. Which tbh, I don't really get; this is Pokémon after all.

All jokes aside, I'd honestly like it if we got more time with Ash's classmates showing their personalities more frequently (this still doesn't change the fact this is uncommon practice for the anime).

I don't think that Gladion is that similar to Alain.
Why would anyone think that? Gladion is actually a character within the show. Alain's story was just stitched together with the main show last minute to kickstart the Team Flare arc and give Ash someone to lose to. There was not really a character dynamic between Ash and Alain aside from "woah he strong" (going both ways), no matter the outcome, there was nothing emotionally invested in their rivalry aside from victory itself (which is LAME). At least with Gladion there's clearly a competitiveness and built respect between both that has happened over time, even if his presence in the show is scarce.

I'm utterly baffled that anyone hates any of the SM main characters, as I find them all to have tons of personality and I love they interact with each other. I guess that's a controversial opinion in and of itself.
Honestly, I agree with you!
So do I!
Why would anyone think that? Gladion is actually a character within the show. Alain's story was just stitched together with the main show last minute to kickstart the Team Flare arc and give Ash someone to lose to. There was not really a character dynamic between Ash and Alain aside from "woah he strong" (going both ways), no matter the outcome, there was nothing emotionally invested in their rivalry aside from victory itself (which is LAME). At least with Gladion there's clearly a competitiveness and built respect between both that has happened over time, even if his presence in the show is scarce.
Alain was basically Tobias done right: an OP Trainer for Ash to lose to, who actually had a backstory and an understandable and relatable motivation. He's not a flawless character, but we've had worse rivals (I'm looking at you, Cameron).

Alain was basically Tobias done right: an OP Trainer for Ash to lose to, who actually had a backstory and an understandable and relatable motivation. He's not a flawless character, but we've had worse rivals (I'm looking at you, Cameron).

The problem with Alain isn't really that he defeated Ash (even thou a lot of people were hoping he would finally win), but rather the way he defeated him. Alian's Charizard (who took some damage from a super-effective Thunderbolt during its battle with Pikachu) somehow not only managed to defeat a stronger opponent than it (since Greninja barely battled during the match up to that point and it also had the type advantage), but it also survived a giga Water Shuriken (one that previously managed to knock out Mega Sceptile, who has a double resistance to it) while also taking Ash-Greninja out with Blast Burn, a move that he should be more than able to tank. Sure, Alain's battle wasn't bottom of the barrel bad (the way Cameron's was). But that doesn't excuse the fact that it was still poorly executed.

The problem with Alain isn't really that he defeated Ash (even thou a lot of people were hoping he would finally win), but rather the way he defeated him. Alian's Charizard (who took some damage from a super-effective Thunderbolt during its battle with Pikachu) somehow not only managed to defeat a stronger opponent than it (since Greninja barely battled during the match up to that point and it also had the type advantage), but it also survived a giga Water Shuriken (one that previously managed to knock out Mega Sceptile, who has a double resistance to it) while also taking Ash-Greninja out with Blast Burn, a move that he should be more than able to tank. Sure, Alain's battle wasn't bottom of the barrel bad (the way Cameron's was). But that doesn't excuse the fact that it was still poorly executed.
While type resistances don't always apply in the anime, I can still understand (although I'm not sure if "poorly executed" is the right term to use). I personally didn't quite like how Alain always won just because he wanted to. He lost against an Elite Four member once, sure, but his resolve only hardened afterwards, and later, he defeated another Elite Four member, a feat never before accomplished by a non-Champion Trainer in the anime. I too don't mind the fact that Ash lost, but I also think that Alain would've deserved a loss at some point as a wake-up call that his pursuit of strength had kinda made him obsessive.

While type resistances don't always apply in the anime, I can still understand (although I'm not sure if "poorly executed" is the right term to use). I personally didn't quite like how Alain always won just because he wanted to. He lost against an Elite Four member once, sure, but his resolve only hardened afterwards, and later, he defeated another Elite Four member, a feat never before accomplished by a non-Champion Trainer in the anime. I too don't mind the fact that Ash lost, but I also think that Alain would've deserved a loss at some point as a wake-up call that his pursuit of strength had kinda made him obsessive.

Maybe I was a little too harsh when is said the whole battle was "poorly executed", but that Charizard vs Greninja stuff was still terrible and could've been done way better.

In fact, let me try rewriting it. Couldn't they have had Alain steadily defeat Ash's Pikachu and Goodra without the use of his Charizard, which would back Ash into a corner? That way, he's forced to use Greninja/Ash-Greninja earlier to defeat 2 of Alain's Pokémon. Thus, by the time they face Alain's Charizard, Ash and Greninja are exhausted and, since Charizard hasn't battled up to that point in the match (thus being rested, healthier and more able to withstand attacks), Alain and Charizard are able to overpower and defeat them. There. Ash and Greninja lose because of the damage they've previously taken and because of exhaustion. It's not perfect, but it's better than "Ash lost because we say so". And I agree that Alain winning every battle he's had with Ash is dumb and makes him kind of a Gary Stu.

Speaking of the never-ending win streak, Gladion also seems to have won every battle he's had with Ash up to this point, hence why people compare him to Alain. I know that Paul had a similar thing going for him and that Ash still managed to defeat him at the League, but since Alain's case is more recent, some believe the writers will take the Alain route rather than the Paul one (especially since it's becoming more and more apparent that the writers of Sun & Moon still haven't learned from past mistakes).

Back
Top Bottom