• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Why? We hardly know anything about it yet. Don't judge a book based on its cover.

Here are my reasons for not liking the idea of a Meltan arc:

Honestly it feels strange for the class to stumble upon their fourth rare Pokemon in a short span of time (Fifth overall with Zygarde being at the tail end of its series).
It’s plain repetitive.

Ash and Mallow have ended up getting Mythicals literally a few episodes apart from each other.

Mythicals previously were shown to be very, very rare, and now this happened.

I also wonder why is Meltan classed as Mythical when each character could snag one and no one could notice the difference in the group.

Not to mention the previews have made it seem plain annoying, and the main cast being annoying to it in return.

I’m just not ready for such a story again right after Poipole which I was heavily invested in, and they just released it inspite of an opportunity for Ash to keep it being there.

Like I said before, Meltan is the cockroach infestation of Mythicals in my opinion.

Doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of its design or evolution.

Here are my reasons for not liking the idea of a Meltan arc:

Honestly it feels strange for the class to stumble upon their fourth rare Pokemon in a short span of time (Fifth overall with Zygarde being at the tail end of its series).
It’s plain repetitive.

Ash and Mallow have ended up getting Mythicals literally a few episodes apart from each other.

Mythicals previously were shown to be very, very rare, and now this happened.

I also wonder why is Meltan classed as Mythical when each character could snag one and no one could notice the difference in the group.

Not to mention the previews have made it seem plain annoying, and the main cast being annoying to it in return.

I’m just not ready for such a story again right after Poipole which I was heavily invested in, and they just released it inspite of an opportunity for Ash to keep it being there.

Like I said before, Meltan is the cockroach infestation of Mythicals in my opinion.

Doesn’t help that I’m not a fan of its design or evolution.
Can't help if you don't like its design, but...

Mallow only befriended Shaymin. She hasn't caught it.

Meltan are supposed to move and exist in big numbers.

I fail to see the issue.

That's exactly the problem. They're classified as mythicall Pokemon, which are supposed to be rare and powerfull. So, I agree with what PKMntrainerV said- they are the corckroach infestation of mythicalls.
They exist that way because of 1) how they were introduced in Pokémon GO, and 2) how their evolution is basically multiple of them merging together. It a part of their lore. Meltan itself is relatively weak, kinda like a Zygarde Core/Cell or 10% Forme, Melmetal is all of them coming together to form one truly powerful Pokémon.

They exist that way because of 1) how they were introduced in Pokémon GO, and 2) how their evolution is basically multiple of them merging together. It a part of their life. Meltan itself is relatively weak, kinda like a Zygarde Core/Cell or 10% Forme, Melmetal is all of them coming together to form one truly powerful Pokémon.
Okay then. I'm still not a fan of Meltan, but I guess I can accept that explanation.

When it comes to Meltan, I'll admit that the anime (or at least the previews for the anime) have made me feel... conflicted about it.

On one hand, while I originally... ahem disliked its design (thinking it was nothing more than a poor man's Ditto), I've eventually come to like the little guy. That's especially because of the way it was showcased in some of the artwork, its presentation in the promotional videos with Willow and Oak, some of the ways you can interact with it in LGPE and even its portrayal in the special preview for the Sun & Moon anime (the one before SM111), since they showed how charming it can be (who would've thought a nut (of all things) could be so cute and expresive).

But on the other hand, episode 111 seems to have taken the Pokédex entries for Meltan way too literal and have turned this adorable blob... nut... thing into nothing more than a Nihilego (in terms of behavior). Meltan are now nothing more than mindless beast that eats anything made of metal with a total disregard for everything. They don't care if people need said metal objects (like the classmates' tools), if that stuff has sentimental value for a person (like James' bottle caps) or if its alive (like Magneton). They just care about feeding and that's all. It doesn't help that, as people have pointed out, this is the 4th time Ash and his friends have had to take care of a special Pokémon this series. I know Squishy and Ash-Greninja were a thing in XY, but they actually had a reason to exist (at least storywise). Meanwhile I can't really think of a good reason as to why we need the Sun & Moon gang to have special Pokémon (especially since Shaymin just feels like a random addition with no purpose and Meltan can be shown off in a story arc without one of them being caught and/or taken care of), outside of Nebby (for obvious reasons) and maybe Poipole (although Arceus only knows what that flying paintbrush's actual contribution to the plot was).

So I get where both sides are coming from. And while I don't like the direction they're taking with Meltan in SM111, hopefully it being captured could mean that they're going to redeem it after the events of this week's episode, since it has a lot of potential to be adorable (but, please, in the name of Arceus, don't let that be its defining personality trait!!!!). Or, alternatively, the writers still haven't learned a thing from the past 2 years and are gonna give us our third Legendary Togepi of the series (and the anime).

Brock already used it earlier, remember?
Did they actually refer to that as counter shield in the original, because Brock just made a vague reference to thinking outside the box in dub. I find it pretty annoying that its been touted as a reference to counter shield because it wasn't really like counter shield at all, it was much more similar to how Jasmine defended from Cyndaquil with sandstorm in their gym battle way back in Johto (or really just any generic use of an attack move to deflect another attack...which we have seen tons of times). The point of counter shield was that it defended and did damage at the same time, which Brock didn't do.

Did they actually refer to that as counter shield in the original, because Brock just made a vague reference to thinking outside the box in dub. I find it pretty annoying that its been touted as a reference to counter shield because it wasn't really like counter shield at all, it was much more similar to how Jasmine defended from Cyndaquil with sandstorm in their gym battle way back in Johto (or really just any generic use of an attack move to deflect another attack...which we have seen tons of times). The point of counter shield was that it defended and did damage at the same time, which Brock didn't do.
It wasn't referred to by name, but I don't see it being similar to Jasmine's Steelix. He mentioned that "a certain challenger of his" taught him this tactic, while looking at Ash, so yeah, it was Counter Shield. And remember, with Geodude it also blocked the incoming attack completely. And with Steelix, I dare say that it blocked at least most of the damage.

This has more to do with the games. I hate it when people complain about how every Pokemon game is the same every year and then complain even more when they don't announce a remake.
Well, most people I have seen doing those complains are people that don't even play the games in the first place. Which is really, really annoying.

Another game related one. It's not likely I'll be getting physical copies of Pokemon games again any time soon. The only reason I did for Gen 7 was so I'd have the option to trade items between my own copies of the games. But since Switch games save to the console I don't have that option anymore. The nice thing is that now if something were to happen to my console, at worst I'd lose my save files but all of my Pokemon would still be in Pokemon Bank and I wouldn't have to re-purchase any of my games. I could just re-download them.

Another game related one. It's not likely I'll be getting physical copies of Pokemon games again any time soon. The only reason I did for Gen 7 was so I'd have the option to trade items between my own copies of the games. But since Switch games save to the console I don't have that option anymore. The nice thing is that now if something were to happen to my console, at worst I'd lose my save files but all of my Pokemon would still be in Pokemon Bank and I wouldn't have to re-purchase any of my games. I could just re-download them.
I can see your point since you can have the games at the same place, you don't have to worry about losing them and (in the case of my country) digital games are way cheaper than their physical counterparts ($65,78 for Sun?).

How likely is it we get nothing? I know big scopes drop at Pokemon Directs but I am not sure if every anniversary direct the year a new generation comes does reveal something extreme and big.

The purpose of literally every Pokemon direct is major Pokémon game news.
And there are those 3 Pokeballs too.

Edit; Didn’t notice that this isn’t the Gen 8 thread. These posts are getting way too off topic for anime opinions.

Last edited:
It wasn't referred to by name, but I don't see it being similar to Jasmine's Steelix. He mentioned that "a certain challenger of his" taught him this tactic, while looking at Ash, so yeah, it was Counter Shield. And remember, with Geodude it also blocked the incoming attack completely. And with Steelix, I dare say that it blocked at least most of the damage.
It's not really a big deal, but I just can't agree that it was counter shield. The gyro ball was a completely normal gyro ball, just used to deflect a move. Its like using water gun to deflect flamethrower, a steel type move to neutralize an ice type move. We have seen countless examples of one move being used to neutralize another, the difference with counter shield was that it was using a move while spinning to create a moving "shield" that would also do damage to the opponent. Gyro ball is a spinning move, so that was literally just a 100% normal gyro ball. Ash thought outside the box throughout every region he was in and came up with creative methods, so just saying Brock learned it from Ash doesn't prove its counter shield. I feel like people really want this to be a reference to Sinnoh, but I just don't think it is.

So I feel like there's two battles in this series where Ash should have been disqualified or at least reprimanded in some way. First is that battle he had with Elesa. He brought a single Pokemon to a three-on-three and had none of the others on his person.. Palpitoad got knocked out, so why was he allowed to leave the arena and get another Pokemon? Shouldn't that be against the rules?

Second is Anabel, though I can't really remember that battle. But didn't he return Corphish in the middle of the battle and send it right back out to bring it back to his side of the field? I wouldn't know if something like that is against the rules, but I feel like he should have at least been called out on it.

Second is Anabel, though I can't really remember that battle. But didn't he return Corphish in the middle of the battle and send it right back out to bring it back to his side of the field? I wouldn't know if something like that is against the rules, but I feel like he should have at least been called out on it.
Actually he did it to cure Corpish's confusion. While in games something like this is impossible, in anime it's actually a perfectly legal method of dealing with it, with many characters doing it and nothing implying it's illegal.

Back
Top Bottom