• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I think it's just that even the writers are having trouble with juggling with this many main characters at once.
... I know of an anime that had 25 episodes and a lot more characters than PokeAni SM, but still, most of the characters were both given development, and shown both nicelly written personality and working towards their goalls. Besides, are you really gonna tell me it's that hard to write...
7 (If we exculde adults, of course, that's Ash, his classmates and Gladion I reffer to) characters in more than 100+ episodes? I can't wait till this series is gonna have more than 150+ eps, and yer gonna keep up the same excuse.

Time-wise, this anime started on 17 November 2016, which gives almost 2 and half a year to figure the thing out. Don't tell me it's not enough if they are so very creative.

Last edited:
... I know of an anime that had 25 episodes and a lot more characters than PokeAni SM, but still, most of the characters were both given development, and shown both nicelly written personality and working towards their goalls. Besides, are you really gonna tell me it's that hard to write...
7 (If we exculde adults, of course, that's Ash, his classmates and Gladion I reffer to) characters in more than 100+ episodes? I can't wait this series is gonna have more than 150+ eps, and yer gonna keep up the same excuse.

Time-wise, this anime started on 17 November 2016, which gives almost 2 and half a year to figure the thing out. Don't tell me it's not enough if they are so very creative.
Hey, I also think Ash's classmates have received development! Not all of them just have received equal attention.

But I still think they all have received enough attention.

It's more that the writers don't really reference things after the OS with rare exceptions. Everything from what is now the middle seasons, AG/DP and BW...and soon XY, all suffer from what is essentially "middle child syndrome" where it's not part of the nostalgic original series or whatever the current saga is. The same will happen to SM when it ends. It's likely the same reason AG got virtually no references in the XY anime, despite Steven appearing, Ash could have mentioned his Sceptile to Shota, there was no May reference or appearance, and ORAS was more or less almost completely ignored in the main anime whereas the SM series made 4 episodes advertising Kanto stuff and characters.

I hate that Mega Charizard Y had such a bad anime debut, Cause when was the last time the show had two Charizard duking it out? I can only think of the Mewtwo movie when Ash's charizard was doing battle with his clone. So then why was the battle between Mega X and Mega Y so lackluster? I'm sure many people would say its just to, once again, mega Mega X look powerful and unbeatable. I don't even like the Charmander line that much and I would have loved to see an actual battle between two aerial megas. But nah, lets give Mega X even more promotion. Not like we had Origins or the special episodes for that.

Off top, but I hope they give Kiawe and Gladion some more Pokemon before the Alolan League. Kiawe only has two Pokemon, three if you count Charizard and Gladion three, but four if you count Noivern. Ash nearly has six, so how're they suppose to have proper battles if their teams are all wonky? Even if every battle is a three-on-three Kiawe and Lana, who I think was interested in battling, are kinda screwed. I haven't seen Hau's episode yet, so I only know about hi Dartrix, but I hope they have him have some other Pokemon. I also don't know why they decided to introduce him so late into the series when he could have easily been implemented earlier.

Pokemon Special version of Alola is superior to the anime version in every way.
I personally prefer the anime version of the Lusamine family members and their relationships with one another. And that's not all I prefer in the anime or even in the games over the Special manga.

Pokemon Special version of Lilie is superior to the anime Lilie in any way.
The Special version of Lillie is currently absent as the storyline involving her mother is reaching its climax. She also wasn't there to play one of the flutes that evolved Nebby. In the anime and the games, Lillie was there to give her mother a big "The Reason You Suck Speech", whereas in the manga, the two main protagonists steal the spotlight from her and even Gladion completely. It's like the protagonists had a stronger connection with Nebby than she, the person who took care of it, did.

I feel like I'm gonna get a lot of.... dislike for this but; I do not like Pokemon Special, it isn't even remotely good and does NOT deserve any type of recognition. It's horrible written, horribly paced, no consistency with characters and their personalities, plots are dropped and never explored and/or explained, it's trying way too hard to be edge and generally isn't that enjoyable or good.

The Special version of Lillie is currently absent as the storyline involving her mother is reaching its climax.
As you said, "currently."
In the anime and the games, Lillie was there to give her mother a big "The Reason You Suck Speech", whereas in the manga, the two main protagonists steal the spotlight from her and even Gladion completely.
Incidentally, the anime Lilie had no reason to gave her mother a "The Reason You Suck Speech," as her mother did nothing comparable to her counterparts.
It's like the protagonists had a stronger connection with Nebby than she, the person who took care of it, did.
Anime Lilie didn't even took care of Nebby and had zero connection with it, so...

Incidentally, the anime Lilie had no reason to gave her mother a "The Reason You Suck Speech," as her mother did nothing comparable to her counterparts.

While Lusamine in the anime isn’t abusive, she’s still definitely not the best mother in the entire world. I’d say there was good reason for the “you suck” speech.

While Lusamine in the anime isn’t abusive, she’s still definitely not the best mother in the entire world. I’d say there was good reason for the “you suck” speech.
Not being able to be the best mother in the entire world is not a good reason for a "you suck" speech. And there was nothing in her speech that truly deserving to be should count as "you suck" towards her mother.
I HATE YOU MOTHER!
YOU'RE ALWAYS TREATING ME LIKE A BABY!
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S ACTING LIKE A BABY!
MY MOTHER WAS STRONG, YOU'RE NOT!
YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER!

Last edited:
Not being able to be the best mother in the entire world is not a good reason for a "you suck" speech.

That was hyperbole, dude.

What I meant by that was that Lusamine was always prioritizing her work as the Aether Foundation's president and her UB research over spending time with her kids and getting involved in their lives; albeit, she did this subconsciously and wasn't trying to be malicious, but the fact remains that she was quite negligent. So negligent, in fact, that she didn't even notice how Lillie developed a phobia of Pokemon after her run-in with Nihilego.

So, yes; there was a reason for the "you suck" speech.

What I meant by that was that Lusamine was always prioritizing her work as the Aether Foundation's president and her UB research over spending time with her kids and getting involved in their lives; albeit, she did this subconsciously and wasn't trying to be malicious, but the fact remains that she was quite negligent. So negligent, in fact, that she didn't even notice how Lillie developed a phobia of Pokemon after her run-in with Nihilego.

There was nothing in Lilie's speech that truly deserving to be called as "you suck" towards her mother. Her speech is about how different her mother is since the UB's poisoning her.
I HATE YOU MOTHER!
YOU'RE ALWAYS TREATING ME LIKE A BABY!
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S ACTING LIKE A BABY!
MY MOTHER WAS STRONG, YOU'RE NOT!
YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER!

While Lusamine not paying attention to her children's feelings is a huge problem, it was also clear that she cared deeply for her children. Right after Gladion rightfully called her out on not questioning how Lillie developed such an intense fear of Pokemon, she immediately apologized to Lillie, was upset when she thought that Faba was endangering her daughter again and protected Gladion from being captured by Nihilego. This still doesn't negate or downplay how oblivious she was towards her children, but I think that does count for something. Despite being too consumed by her work to be with her children, Lusamine is still a caring mother in the anime.

Besides that, it's not like we see Lusamine interact with her children outside of the Ultra Guardian stuff that often. Lillie still gets embarrassed by her mother too. I don't know if more recent episodes have shown otherwise, but the only time that I can think of where Lusamine took part in their lives was during that random school play episode. Lillie mentioned that talking to her mother helped to improve their relationship during the Rotom Dex episode too, which would be nice if we actually saw that conversation or at least more improvements in their relationship.

As you said, "currently."
Which means that if she will be included to the conclusion somehow, it's going to feel forced and not have as much impact as it should.
There was nothing in Lilie's speech that truly deserving to be called as "you suck" towards her mother. Her speech is about how different her mother is since the UB's poisoning her.
No. Nihilego just intensified Lusamine's secret desire to meet the UBs. This wasn't a new characteristic. It was an already existing characteristic of Lusamine brought to the surface and turned up to eleven. It just emphasized how neglectful Lusamine had been of her children, having let her work and secret obsession distance herself from them. Lillie had every reason under the sun to call her mother out on her behavior.

Last edited:
Nihilego just intensified Lusamine's secret desire to meet the UBs. [...] It just emphasized how neglectful Lusamine had been of her children, having let her work and secret obsession distance herself from them.

"Obsession" is a very strong word. Game Lusamine had an obsession with the UBs. Anime Lusamine has more of an interest in them than anything else. Also, that "secret desire" isn't that secret, since she states in the very first episode that she'd want to meet one, with all of her co-workers being close by and none of them being surprised by that statement.

"Obsession" is a very strong word. Game Lusamine had an obsession with the UBs. Anime Lusamine has more of an interest in them than anything else. Also, that "secret desire" isn't that secret, since she states in the very first episode that she'd want to meet one, with all of her co-workers being close by and none of them being surprised by that statement.
Okay, I admit it's not "secret", but it was a desire nonetheless.

No. Nihilego just intensified Lusamine's secret desire to meet the UBs. This wasn't a new characteristic. It was an already existing characteristic of Lusamine brought to the surface and turned up to eleven. It just emphasized how neglectful Lusamine had been of her children, having let her work and secret obsession distance herself from them. Lillie had every reason under the sun to call her mother out on her behavior.
... Should I read this then as "Lillie called out her mother for being possesed by Nihillego?".

Back
Top Bottom