• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Are we talking about the same Pokémon which will evolve by doing literally nothing the whole time it has been in its second evolutionary line?

This. I can't believe it's come to the point where Lana's praised for "developing" her only Water-type as if she's actually done anything remotely important with the thing ever since it became a Brionne. I also don't appreciate how she's now considered to be better at Misty when it comes to her mastery of Water-types; I guess Misty being an actual Water-type Gym Leader who's trained various Water-types means nothing now... ?

This. I can't believe it's come to the point where Lana's praised for "developing" her only Water-type as if she's actually done anything remotely important with the thing ever since it became a Brionne. I also don't appreciate how she's now considered to be better at Misty when it comes to her mastery of Water-types; I guess Misty being an actual Water-type Gym Leader who's trained various Water-types means nothing now... ?
Misty's honestly not as colorful of a character for me as Lana is.

Just wanted to get these last feelings about Misty's star duo out. This is probably common knowledge by this point but...Staryu's moves (6 total) and Starmie's moves (just Water Gun and Tackle). It's pre-evolution knows four more moves than its evolved form. They could've at least gave it a Psychic attack. I think Starmie's most memorable episode may have been The Flame Pokémon-athon!, since Misty raced with it. For a Pokemon that had no facial features I just can't help but feel sorry for it, I mean Staryu didn't have a face either, but at least it had a better record of battling than Starmie.

Anyway, moving on to the next thing that's been sorta bugging me is that while I'm glad Brock was given a Comfey since it can help him towards his goal, why didn't they bring back his Chansey in SM102 and/or SM103. I mean if you wanna talk about a Pokemon deserving of at least a 20 second cameo like Corsola got, it's the former baby Pokemon with incredible superstrength that eventually evolved to heal a poor poisoned Pichu. I think that was deserving enough! And sadly no Croagunk either.:( At least Sudowoodo appeared.

They could've at least gave it a Psychic attack.
I think the reason they didn't do that is because back in the early saga Psychic was OP. Sabrina comes to mind, as her Kadabra easily sent Pikachu's attacks back at it and didn't get a hit a single time in either battles. Ash didn't even beat her legitimately to get her badge.

Anyway, moving on to the next thing that's been sorta bugging me is that while I'm glad Brock was given a Comfey since it can help him towards his goal, why didn't they bring back his Chansey in SM102 and/or SM103. I mean if you wanna talk about a Pokemon deserving of at least a 20 second cameo like Corsola got, it's the former baby Pokemon with incredible superstrength that eventually evolved to heal a poor poisoned Pichu. I think that was deserving enough! And sadly no Croagunk either.:( At least Sudowoodo appeared.

I was surprised with the lack of Chansey too. Chansey is the most recognizable Pokemon Center nurses out there, its evolution at the end of DP further hinted at Brock's new goal and it is a first generation Pokemon to boot. It seemed like such a strange choice to not showcase it during either of these two part events. They probably didn't want him to use both Chansey and Comfey during that confrontation with the mother Kangaskan, but if any of his DP Pokemon were going to show up, I would have bet money on Chansey showing up instead of Sudowoodo. Sudowoodo was a nice surprise and despite the battle being interrupted, I thought that Brock vs. Olivia was pretty solid.

Croagunk not showing up was disappointing too. I knew it was a long shot, but I still wanted to see Misty grab his ears after Croagunk gave him a Poison Jab all the same. It would have been hilarious to bring the two versions of the gag together.

She's been absent from the show for hundreds of episodes. Off-screen development is nothing new, even for the Pokémon anime.
It would have been welcome if Ash at least asked her what happened between them.

Because him not doing that is, like, weird and unnaturall? Especially considering Misty wasn't nice to Ash as well in the early days, so her change should have some sort of reaction from him.

Because him not doing that is, like, weird and unnaturall? Especially considering Misty wasn't nice to Ash as well in the early days, so her change should have some sort of reaction from him.
She was perfectly nice to Ash by the time of her departure though, apart from bickering which is common among god friends.

She was perfectly nice to Ash by the time of her departure though, apart from bickering which is common among god friends.
I am still not fine with it though. When you meet a person you have not seen for years and you see that this person somehow changed (talkimg about her relationship with Psyfuck more), wouldn't you be a bit suprised?

I am still not fine with it though. When you meet a person you have not seen for years and you see that this person somehow changed (talkimg about her relationship with Psyfuck more), wouldn't you be a bit suprised?
It’s more the matter that they didn’t have enough time on their hands to include talks about any not-major topics in the two parter gym battle episodes.

That’s another problem with SM, its pacing is so bad that the writers always manage to make any amount of time feel short for significant events, at the same time producing filler after filler when it isn’t even needed.

Last edited:
It would have been welcome if Ash at least asked her what happened between them.

She had changed from her early days during the original series. This wasn't a sudden change. She and Ash got along much better during Johto than they did during Kanto, so there wouldn't be much of a point to react to that. He could have comment on how she was nicer to Psyduck, but I didn't think that was much of an issue. She has been at the Cerulean Gym for awhile, so she could have spent some time developing a better relationship with Psyduck during that off-screen time. Or the writers didn't want to remind the audience that Misty was often too harsh on Psyduck because they wanted to make her more appealing to new fans and make long time fans happier as well.

For Lana being their apparent favorite, she really didn’t do much this saga.

There’s been a sudden surge in the Lana focus recently, that’s what led me to the impression.
I wish this anime were a bit more consistent... but the only thing it is consistent with is inconsistency.

I wish could have seen just WHY Snivy left her previous Trainer, or a least seen him at some point. We're led to believe that, unlike Ash, he was selfish and lacked compassion. But something HAD to have happened, she didn't just ditch him day one. With how talented she was and how crafty she acted, she must have stayed with him for a while. Granted, this is the same series where Trip's Snivy, right out the gate, knew how to use Leaf Tornado - a move a Snivy wouldn't learn until its close to evolving. But still, could have easily had an episode focused on Snivy where they run into the guy/girl, some confrontation happens and Ash tries to make the Trainer see the error of their ways for Snivy's sake. The episode even could have led you to believe that maybe Snivy would go back to said Trainer by the end of it, but ultimately the Trainer thinks she should stay with Ash, the better/more experienced trainer.

I wish could have seen just WHY Snivy left her previous Trainer, or a least seen him at some point. We're led to believe that, unlike Ash, he was selfish and lacked compassion. But something HAD to have happened, she didn't just ditch him day one. With how talented she was and how crafty she acted, she must have stayed with him for a while. Granted, this is the same series where Trip's Snivy, right out the gate, knew how to use Leaf Tornado - a move a Snivy wouldn't learn until its close to evolving. But still, could have easily had an episode focused on Snivy where they run into the guy/girl, some confrontation happens and Ash tries to make the Trainer see the error of their ways for Snivy's sake. The episode even could have led you to believe that maybe Snivy would go back to said Trainer by the end of it, but ultimately the Trainer thinks she should stay with Ash, the better/more experienced trainer.
Yet another example of the BW series' wasted potential to me. They made clear that Snivy has had a Trainer before Ash, and did nothing to explore that past.

Back
Top Bottom