• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Actually, the term "Mythical" has been in use in Japanese since the games' inception. It just took the localizers a good while to adapt it. I admit they are kinda like event-exclusive Legendary Pokémon, but I think it's still good to know the difference.

Fair enough that Japan has always used the term Mythical, but it still comes off as splitting hairs to me. Mythicals are just special Legendary Pokemon. There is no difference besides Mythicals being extra special/marketable Legendary Pokemon, which was not really relevant to the discussion. I don't even see most people describing them as Mythical Pokemon outside of new events to download them. It's not less accurate to call Meltan a Legendary Pokemon instead of a Mythical Pokemon. There just wasn't really a need to get on my case about it, especially when it was such a small detail on my post compared to everything else I was trying to say in the first place.

No, BW and SM are not in a different universe from the rest of the series. People hold this sentiment since they want their vision of Ash to remain as pure and incorrupt as possible.

I seriously don't know how people could say that either series are set in different universes. I can understand not liking them or how Ash was handled, but that's just flat out ignoring some pretty blatant callbacks to previous series with Dawn's return in BW and Misty and Brock's appearances in SM. It's not like being non-canon would really make these series better and Pokemon never was continuity heavy to begin with.

While that's a cause, there are fans who vehemently deny BW happened before XY and use the defense "that wasn't necessarily Ash getting on the plane with Alexa. That's one of those Ashes from a Mirror Dimension from that cave. The BW we saw was just a mirror version of the main universe." It seems people like that are more interesting in worshipping Ash rather than paying attention to actual continuity.

I've never seen any reaction like that, but that is quite strange. I'm kind of amazed that people are that into worshipping Ash or desperately trying to find a way to make series they don't like non-canon when it's much more common for people to demand Ash be replaced. I see the latter far more often, especially whenever a new generation is announced.

In terms of good developement and character
  1. Lillie
  2. May
  3. Serena/Dawn (without amourshipping Serena would be slightly less)
  4. Lana
  5. Iris
  6. Bonnie/Mallow(Bonnie's relation with zygarde and dedenne cuteness and its effect on the plot vs how great Mallow focus episodes are )
The total number of any possible female companion whoever she is +8. Misty

Misty was realy useless and I really hate her because she literally never did anything and she had no real focus, even her pokemon were mostly just for gags and they are so forgettable

Bonnie/Mallow(Bonnie's relation with zygarde and dedenne cuteness and its effect on the plot vs how great Mallow focus episodes are )
Well with Bonnie she was able to grow as a character. Unlike Mallow who even with her focus eps barely grows as a character if at all.

There just wasn't really a need to get on my case about it, especially when it was such a small detail on my post compared to everything else I was trying to say in the first place.
Sorry. I just have a tendency to get stuck on details.
I seriously don't know how people could say that either series are set in different universes. I can understand not liking them or how Ash was handled, but that's just flat out ignoring some pretty blatant callbacks to previous series with Dawn's return in BW and Misty and Brock's appearances in SM. It's not like being non-canon would really make these series better and Pokemon never was continuity heavy to begin with.
Dang right.

Do the anime said anything about the differences between Legendary and Mythical pokémon? Or even establish that a sub-category called "mythicals" exist?

Do the anime said anything about the differences between Legendary and Mythical pokémon? Or even establish that a sub-category called "mythicals" exist?
It's not a sub-category. It's a similar, but completely separate category. And yes, Mythical Pokémon have been referred to as Mythical Pokémon in the anime.

HAVE YOU WATCHED THE EPISODE WITH SHAYMIN

One episode of development wasn't enough to make Mallow anything more than average in my opinion.

But I'm suddenly reminded of how much I despised the structure of the XY cast. Bonnie brought nothing interesting to the table other than serving as the irritating little sister character (a niche that didn't need to be filled in the first place, but okay....) and I would've rather seen Clemont take on some of her quirks than watch Bonnie prance around for three years.

This may not be as much of controversial opinion as it's something kinda nonsensical that people don't seem to talk about. In the anime, Trainers need to earn eight Badges to enter a League tournament, while Coordinators need to earn give Ribbons to enter a Grand Festival. With Gyms, this isn't a big deal to understand, since Gyms hand out Badges to all winning Trainers, regardless of how many of those there are. But Contests are different. Each Contest is only held once within a certain time period, and only one Ribbon is handed out per one Contest to one Coordinator. And yet, the Grand Festivals have displayed dozens, if not hundreds of competing Coordinators, all of whom have earned the five necessary Ribbons. Do you realize how ridiculously many Contests would need to be held in a single region in order for that to be possible?

This may not be as much of controversial opinion as it's something kinda nonsensical that people don't seem to talk about. In the anime, Trainers need to earn eight Badges to enter a League tournament, while Coordinators need to earn give Ribbons to enter a Grand Festival. With Gyms, this isn't a big deal to understand, since Gyms hand out Badges to all winning Trainers, regardless of how many of those there are. But Contests are different. Each Contest is only held once within a certain time period, and only one Ribbon is handed out per one Contest to one Coordinator. And yet, the Grand Festivals have displayed dozens, if not hundreds of competing Coordinators, all of whom have earned the five necessary Ribbons. Do you realize how ridiculously many Contests would need to be held in a single region in order for that to be possible?
That is crazy! They should have gone the game route for the anime.

I always figured that there were a lot of Contests going on each region. It would require a lot of Contests being held, but I don't think it would be impossible for them to do that.

I would think they fight on the side of the street for them.

I always figured that there were a lot of Contests going on each region. It would require a lot of Contests being held, but I don't think it would be impossible for them to do that.
The Hoenn Grand Festival we saw in the anime had 247 participants. 247×5=1235. And in Kanto, the number was 270. 270×5=1350. I honestly don't see them holding over a thousand separate Contests in one region.

Hoenn = 247 coordinators with 5 ribbons
Kanto = 270 coordinators with 5 ribbons
Sinnoh = 108 coordinators with 5 ribbons

Which makes for:

Hoenn = 1253 pokémon contests
Kanto = 1350 pokémon contests
Sinnoh = 540 pokémon contests

If we assume that there is an equal number of people with only 1, 2, 3 and 4 ribbons:

Hoenn = 6265 pokémon contests
Kanto = 6750 pokémon contests
Sinnoh = 2700 pokémon contests

Which is a pretty big number for an annual competition. But it might be argued that it took several years for coordinators to get enough ribbons.

Hoenn = 247 coordinators with 5 ribbons
Kanto = 270 coordinators with 5 ribbons
Sinnoh = 108 coordinators with 5 ribbons

Which makes for:

Hoenn = 1253 pokémon contests
Kanto = 1350 pokémon contests
Sinnoh = 540 pokémon contests

If we assume that there is an equal number of people with only 1, 2, 3 and 4 ribbons:

Hoenn = 6265 pokémon contests
Kanto = 6750 pokémon contests
Sinnoh = 2700 pokémon contests

Which is a pretty big number for an annual competition. But it might be argued that it took several years for coordinators to get enough ribbons.
Lila comes to mind, the woman who was Dawn's mother's rival from before; I believe she quit Contests at four Ribbons, and came back to try to get her 5th from Dawn on a whim.

There's also the fact that people can be gifted Ribbons too, like Princess Salvia did to Jessie, and that there are inter-regional Ribbons like the Wallace Cup, that can be used anywhere; these aforementioned things do complicate the estimation of how many actual Contests occur within a year in a given region.

Back
Top Bottom