• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Eh i know this opinion is pretty unpopular but I must say that Brock was actually terribly written in the first series and his whole character at the begging was actually so frustrating to watch, he's literally down there with Max in terms of characters

The Kukui vs Ash 6v6 was the worst battle of the SM saga and the only match that actually mattered was Torracat vs inciniroar

Pikachu vs Koko should've been unrelated to the league
I mean, from an animation standpoint you’re objectively wrong, straight up. And why exactly do you think this battle is trash writing wise? How is it worse than Ash vs Hau? I honestly don’t understand your reasoning.

On topic: Ash vs. Gary isn't that good a battle when you really delve deep into it.
Agreed, to me why it is loved so much is because people love to enjoy battles where Ash won and hate battles where he lost which is what I have seen.
I actually liked that battle. The visuals may not be as great as with the episodes of today, but there's still something to consider here:

In season 1, Ash's rivalry with Gary was incredibly flat. They never battled, and Gary was there just to mock Ash and boast about how much better than him he was. But at the end of the Orange Islands, when Ash meets Gary again and actually battles him, their rivalry is kinda soft rebooted. Gary now actually has some respect towards Ash, and throughout the Johto anime, their relationship is gradually developed through some random meetings. Until finally, they have their big battle at the League to truly see which one of them is the superior Trainer from Pallet Town.

The development that led up to this battle salvaged Gary's character and redeveloped his relationship with Ash, building up to this final confrontation. And Gary's loss brought conclusion to his character development, retiring him from his role as Ash's rival in a way that was satisfying and made sense.

So all in all, I liked the Ash vs. Gary battle. It's no Ash vs. Sawyer or Ash vs. Kukui in terms of visuals, but they were still nice for the age, and the thing the battle stood for was well developed.

On topic: Ash vs. Gary isn't that good a battle when you really delve deep into it.
I remember being surprised when I re-watched that battle (still a REALLY long time ago, while AG was on I think) and realized I didn't really like it that much. I think it had a sort of mythic view in the fandom for a while thanks to being the (at the time) end of the Gary/Ash rivalry.
I feel that Charizard and Snorlax were given too much focus at the cost of Ash's other team members mostly just getting crushed.

I mean, from an animation standpoint you’re objectively wrong, straight up. And why exactly do you think this battle is trash writing wise? How is it worse than Ash vs Hau? I honestly don’t understand your reasoning.
Oh, definitely, the animation was its one redeeming quality (At least for the two matchups that mattered)

The writing was trash because none of Kukui's other pokemon had personality or agency like Inciniroar, and Ash needed a matching pair of crutches to keep up with Kukui rather than using his own power

Then there's the deus ex Z-Move that got the weakest justification for a powerup in that he's using the "Power of Alola" rather than his own skill and bond with Pikachu, and that's incredibly frustrating

I actually really like BW not as much as XY but still, also I think Ash's design in the new upcoming anime may be his best design yet, granted we haven't seen It in motion just yet but I really like It.

I personally don't see anything wrong with Sun & Moon's art style. It also really ticks me off to see people making memes about how Ash's first League victory came at the cost of his looks.
I think SM's artstyle is ok, but I really miss the crystal clear XY style It just looked so good to me.

I personally don't see anything wrong with Sun & Moon's art style. It also really ticks me off to see people making memes about how Ash's first League victory came at the cost of his looks.

Honestly, when people say "SM's artstyle is trash!" what they're really saying is "Ash's design in SM is trash!" To be fair, Ash's design in SM could have used some refinement (the most egregious thing being those giant Z-marks; they're way too big), and it looks like the next series is providing that! I'd say that's an absolute win!

Back
Top Bottom