• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Answering your personal attacks?
Then we should perhaps really move this discussion to somewhere else, all joking aside. And are you really taking this as a personall attack? I put in all those things like Kira laughing or Modern Educayshun for comedic effect, and didn't mean to insult anyone. I swear to God.

Oh? When did that happen?
SM144 preview thread? Your battle you had with Pulsaro23 back in the day? Those two were first to sprout to mind...

SM144 preview thread?
I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Your battle you had with Pulsaro23 back in the day?
I don't remember claiming anything "outright untrue" or being "roasted" by anyone.
Then we should perhaps really move this discussion to somewhere else
Perhaps you should attack me in PM then, whatever your problem with me is, instead of posting something like that in this thread.

@marshiyanmisuta @LazySpy

I do think it's better if you two continue this discussion elsewhere as things are getting off-topic.

Let me just say that the general idea of this thread is for it to be a place where people can share their controversial opinion without being ridiculed. Of course, unpopular or controversial opinions often raise some questions with those who do not share those opinions, which is completely understandable. Healthy discussion on those opinions in is as such very welcome here and in the nature of the thread. As long as people are able to respect each other despite differing views at the end of the day.

With that said, I hope this thread can get back on-topic now.

I'm not quite finished playing Shield yet, but I am far enough to have started to feel sad that the Galar region isn't going to be explored at the level of detail of other regions. Although I have always maintained that I would prefer the anime to go back to the Gen 1-6 formula, putting that aside I just regret that certain locations in the Galar region aren't going to be explored heavily. The region is full of very interesting towns, routes, nature, and other locations, and is very pretty in general, and it would be an excellent backdrop to a lot of interesting adventures. There are some areas that beg to be explored for multiple episodes (like some areas we were lucky enough to have the same happen with in the distant past), the history of the region is really interesting, the cities are cool, and the nature is outstanding (I'm not going to get any more specific in case of spoilers). I can think of a lot of really fun and interesting episode ideas, and while some still remain possible, it won't be to the same depth or have the same feel as if the entire anime was in Galar. The anime to me was what always brought the region (and the new Pokemon, for that matter) to life, having more time dedicated to specific areas was a really important part of immersion to the region that made me enjoy the game even more as well. I guess the game is so detailed now that we at least have some level of immersion, but the locations still are Pokemon-game sized, not the more expansive (realistic) sizes some were hoping for with the higher powered Switch. This isn't a condemnation of the new direction of the series or anything like that, just that with such an interesting region, I'm regretting that it won't be explored on a week-to-week basis. Also, it may be more likely some new Pokemon don't get the same level of focus/introduction, which has a similar impact.

On a separate, semi-related note, I think its pretty ironic that the first 19 years of the anime featured "Pokemon Camp" and now that it is in the games it isn't going to be present (or at least rarely present) in the anime. Camping out between adventures is something I still really miss, there were a lot of great interactions, character and team building, and it gave off a fun/adventurous vibe that I enjoyed.

After finally seeing Ash vs. Hau, I don't think I hate it that much compared to other fans. It is still quite bad and I can easily see why it became so infamous, but it leaves me more confused than angry and upset. What was the point of that huge fakeout where Hau was initially declared the winner? It's even more ridiculous and stupid considering that they already planned out for Ash to win the Alola League too. It just came off as they thought that another case of Rowlet falling asleep would be funny or that they wanted to pad out the episode because they didn't know how to make Ash vs. Hau compelling or interesting.

Even if they didn't do that, I don't think that the battle would have been good. The Rowlet and Decidueye rivalry was incredibly forced and hallow, Rowlet learning Feather Dance should have happened before the Alola League started as opposed to the middle of it and Hau's extremely minimal screentime weakened whatever impact they wanted to go for with this match. At best, the match could have been decent, but even then that would have been hard to pull off with this setup. Rowlet would have needed to be more than a gag Pokemon for it to pull off a believable victory against Decidueye too.

On the topic of the Galar region, a part of me is kind of okay with it not getting the center focus in the new series. Now don't get me wrong. I love the Galar region. It is so gorgeous and fun to explore. I also love Sword/Shield. I just finished the eighth Gym, so I'm still not quite done with the storyline yet, but these might turn out to be one of my favorite Pokemon games by the time I do finish them. I'd still love to see Galar in the anime, especially when there are so many areas and cities that would look even better as backgrounds in the series, but I also think that the anime tends to pull off more effective storylines and character moments when it does its own thing as opposed to adapting the video games. I thought that the Nebby arc in SM was pretty weak in large part because they tackled the climax of the Sun/Moon games without any good amount of buildup. They just threw in some of video game Lillie's development onto SM Lillie despite how it didn't really fit for that version of the character. The Necrozma arc on the other hand was much more effective for me because there was buildup for it, the pacing was more solid and the emotional/dramatic moments felt earned. It worked with the general tone of SM than I think the Nebby arc did. It's still obviously way too early to really judge PM, but it is possible that having a bit more creative freedom could help it out in the long run. Plus, I really like Hop and I don't want him to get the SM Hau treatment with just being thrown in as an afterthought near the end of the series.

What was the point of that huge fakeout where Hau was initially declared the winner?
There's a theory going around that originated, I think, on 4Chan, suggesting that various factors in some of Ash's wins in the Alola League are intended to parallel his losses in the previous six. According to the theory this was to parallel Squirtle falling asleep against Richie being considered a KO.

I personally think the whole thing is unlikely to be intentional because a few of the connections seem a little tenuous, but it's an interesting idea and literary/film interpretation is seldom limited to what the writer intended, as my brother (Who studied film and literature in University) assured me.

There's a theory going around that originated, I think, on 4Chan, suggesting that various factors in some of Ash's wins in the Alola League are intended to parallel his losses in the previous six. According to the theory this was to parallel Squirtle falling asleep against Richie being considered a KO.

I personally think the whole thing is unlikely to be intentional because a few of the connections seem a little tenuous, but it's an interesting idea and literary/film interpretation is seldom limited to what the writer intended, as my brother (Who studied film and literature in University) assured me.

That is an interesting theory, but it feels too much of a stretch for my tastes. It felt more like a way to pad out the episode since the whole fakeout saved them from animating a battle for a few minutes.

How is that controversial though? Nobody is really against Ash getting Sobble.

It's probably not massively controversial, but I'm one of the few people who dislikes Sobble's evolutionary family especially Intelprocessoreon. Ash could still get Sobble for all I care, but I'm gonna be salty for years if it evolves fully.

Overrated as in it gets too much praise or overrated as in it isn't very good to begin with? Because I can kinda understand the former but not so much the latter.
I never really liked Type: Wild to begin with. The change from the verse to the chorus always felt jarring to me. As a song, it doesn't quite flow very well in my opinion so I never really understood the praise it was getting when there are plenty of pokemon songs that flow well harmoniously without the sudden melody shift from the verse to the chorus.

I don't want Greninja to return. It got literally more than enough time in the spotlight already. Plus, I've read enough YouTube comments pleading for that to happen to make me see the whole idea as kinda... mildly repulsive, I guess I'd say?
I’d like for him to return if only so Ash could call on him in the future like his other reserves. I was never a fan of them creating Ash-Greninja so they wouldn’t have to give him a Mega Evolution and that was made even worse by the fact that they used that same form as a reason to write it out of Ash’s team. I would want Ash to reclaim it though.

I’d like for him to return if only so Ash could call on him in the future like his other reserves. I was never a fan of them creating Ash-Greninja so they wouldn’t have to give him a Mega Evolution and that was made even worse by the fact that they used that same form as a reason to write it out of Ash’s team. I would want Ash to reclaim it though.

I'd be fine with him coming back for a major battle and then going back to doing ninja stuff.

I want to see Hawlucha again but I don't know if he's popular enough.

Back
Top Bottom