• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

What you call "generic" is "classic" if it belongs to Gen 1. Charizard is a generic dragon, Haunter is a generic ghost, and they’re featured a lot.
Generic or not, if the reason behind featuring older Pokémon is variety in artstyle then I think it's a good thing. I find majority of new Pokémon "overdesigned" (if that's the accurate word) so I'm always happy to see "generic" mons get more screentime. At the other hand, older and new Pokémon sometimes look really awkward next to eachother.

Generic or not, if the reason behind featuring older Pokémon is variety in artstyle then I think it's a good thing. I find majority of new Pokémon "overdesigned" (if that's the accurate word) so I'm always happy to see "generic" mons get more screentime. At the other hand, older and new Pokémon sometimes look really awkward next to eachother.
I’m fine with featuring older Pokémon now and then as long as it’s not the same five-six old faces, and it doesn’t come at the expense of the newer designs: many of the newer Pokémon haven’t had their time to shine so it’s terribly unfair for those who like them, when the "classics" have had generations of screentime.

There needs to be a balance, and this series is not doing a really good job of that since half the "wildlife" is just Kanto Pokémon, while we got next to no Galar Pokémon when we’ve had 23 years of Kanto and less than 1 for Galar.

There’s also the factor that they seem to find a way to feature the "nostalgic" older Gen Pokemon in every generation, while this happens really less for the middle and more recent generations. We're still getting multiple focus episodes for Kanto species while if the recent Pokémon don’t get featured, they’ll most likely never will.

I’m fine with featuring older Pokémon now and then as long as it’s not the same five-six old faces, and it doesn’t come at the expense of the newer designs: many of the newer Pokémon haven’t had their time to shine so it’s terribly unfair for those who like them, when the "classics" have had generations of screentime.

There needs to be a balance, and this series is not doing a really good job of that since half the "wildlife" is just Kanto Pokémon, while we got next to no Galar Pokémon when we’ve had 23 years of Kanto and less than 1 for Galar.

There’s also the factor that they seem to find a way to feature the "nostalgic" older Gen Pokemon in every generation, while this happens really less for the middle and more recent generations. We're still getting multiple focus episodes for Kanto species while if the recent Pokémon don’t get featured, they’ll most likely never will.
They're only really using the most popular Kanto Pokémon though, and while they're getting focus almost every generation (Charizard, Eevee, Gengar, etc.) many of them rarely gets to do anything more than being background Pokémon.

For example - Lucario, Garchomp get nearly as much focus as most popular Kanto Pokémon. Umbreon, Scizor, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Absol, Aggron, Luxray, Shaymin, Krookodile, Bisharp and the likes all got more focus than over half of Kanto Pokémon in recent years.

PM2019 is probably the first series that gives more focus to less popular older Pokémon, but I still expect it to be more balanced by the end of the series.

They're only really using the most popular Kanto Pokémon though, and while they're getting focus almost every generation (Charizard, Eevee, Gengar, etc.) many of them rarely gets to do anything more than being background Pokémon.

For example - Lucario, Garchomp get nearly as much focus as most popular Kanto Pokémon. Umbreon, Scizor, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Absol, Aggron, Luxray, Shaymin, Krookodile, Bisharp and the likes all got more focus than over half of Kanto Pokémon in recent years.

PM2019 is probably the first series that gives more focus to less popular older Pokémon, but I still expect it to be more balanced by the end of the series.
My main concern is the “random Pokemon” from the newer Generations that aren’t the overexposed ones like Lucario and Greninja. Hopefully they find a balance between Shove-it-down-our-throats and a-single-inconsequential-appearance for those, since many of the later generations don’t even get to be background wildlife.

My main concern is the “random Pokemon” from the newer Generations that aren’t the overexposed ones like Lucario and Greninja. Hopefully they find a balance between Shove-it-down-our-throats and a-single-inconsequential-appearance for those, since many of the later generations don’t even get to be background wildlife.
If the rumors are true, we'll be heading to Kalos in a few episodes. So chances are we'll be seeing some Kalos Pokémon soon.
index.php
(Courtesy for @DynamicFusion for the screenshot.)

If the rumors are true, we'll be heading to Kalos in a few episodes. So chances are we'll be seeing some Kalos Pokémon soon.
index.php
(Courtesy for @DynamicFusion for the screenshot.)
How is this different from the average 4/2chan post? For all you know someone felt bored and decided to cook up episode summaries for fun. The reliability of these posts is reallly low,

I'm still annoyed over why things like Dragonite and Gengar and a bunch of other Kanto mons keep showing up in excess. Yes I'm aware that it's Kanto promo and nostalgia bait but come on, even the most hardcore Gen 1 lovers have to be sick of the constant Kanto shilling by now right? Like, how many years can this go on before most fans start getting sick of it and Nintendo switches gears to pander to a different Gen instead?

And since people are talking about Cynthia, lemme drag her a bit. I've never liked her. Ever. I disliked her the moment that I fought her in the games and lost three times to her Garchomp and I loathed her even more when she appeared in the anime, because she had this vague holier-than-thou attitude that most people didn't notice because they were so fixated on how 'beautiful' she looked.

I hate Mary Sues and Cynthia is the definition of one because she's portrayed as perfect in every way imaginable and the closest thing to a flaw that she has is her sweet tooth, which is more of a quirk anyways.

Lucario is just a hallow win for those upset with Kanto Pandering in the New Anime like me. It's as much as shillable and marketable as Dragonite & Gengar.
I'm a bit disappointed with Mime not being in Ash's Team, it was unique and served a purpose if used by Ash instead of just being there, treating Ash like a baby.

Here’s a controversial opinion

Why do people hate Cinderace and not Lucario and Zoroark

And why do people hate Zangoose

Why do people hate Cinderace and not Lucario and Zoroark
Idk what are you meaning to ask since there are people who:
Love Cinderace, hate Lucario and Zoroark.
Love Lucario, hate Cinderace and Zoroark.
People who think all three are meh.
People who think all three are good.

There’s no universal federation which hates Cinderace but loves the others.

Having two characters that have that "Get Excited for everything personality" that I personalluy hate makes absolutely no sense.

A cast of two characters should be as different as they can.

It bothers that pokemon in the anime are only female when a) they look particularly feminine, or b) it affects the plot somehow (e.g. resisting Attract to fight Snivy)

Otherwise, male by default.
It gets even funnier when you consider that a lot of qoute unqoute 'feminine' Pokemon actually have a 87.5% male gender ratio (example: Sylveon, Primarina's whole line, Delphox's whole line, Amaura, Panpour).
(And yes, I know anime ain't games, but still it's kinda funny)

Last edited:
I am just gonna say it: Ash and Paul may had alot of battles, but they werent that great.
Many of them showed is the real reason why Ash is a good trainer- his conventional strategies, and Paul was one of the only rivals who actually adapted and incorporated Ash's methods. They’re certainly better than a lot of battles, and much more than Pokémon just throwing moves at each other.

I am just gonna say it: Ash and Paul may had alot of battles, but they werent that great.
They were some of the deepest rival battles in the series. Ash was disapproving of Paul's training methods, but he kept beating him with those methods. Their first Full Battle was especially notable, since it was a total curbstomp: never before had a Full Battle in the anime ended with the winning side having more than one Pokémon remaining. This loss really caused Ash to start doubting his own training methods. And in their final battle at the Sinnoh League, Ash was finally able to prove both Paul and himself that his training methods were effective too, as he managed to defeat Paul with the Pokémon that he had previously abandoned for considering it weak. This was a truly deep rivalry, and the battles it held had a lot of emotional depth to them.

Back
Top Bottom