• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

They were some of the deepest rival battles in the series. Ash was disapproving of Paul's training methods, but he kept beating him with those methods. Their first Full Battle was especially notable, since it was a total curbstomp: never before had a Full Battle in the anime ended with the winning side having more than one Pokémon remaining. This loss really caused Ash to start doubting his own training methods. And in their final battle at the Sinnoh League, Ash was finally able to prove both Paul and himself that his training methods were effective too, as he managed to defeat Paul with the Pokémon that he had previously abandoned for considering it weak. This was a truly deep rivalry, and the battles it held had a lot of emotional depth to them.
I told you it was controversial. And using arugements I already heard 1000 times before wont help.

I told you it was controversial. And using arugements I already heard 1000 times before wont help.
Well, you listing out that just Ash and Paul battles are bad without any reasoning/explanation felt flat since there are many conventional pointers that there are good, so many will not understand your opinions if you don’t really elaborate.

Another Im your friend rival will be no good. Specially with Go arround.

We need a Jerk who can rivalize with Ash attitude.

Bede, well Bede in the game is kida... pathetic if you think . He is just Rose tool.

Another Controversial opinion I have is that Original Series Rocket is not the best Team Rocket.

For me the best Team Rocket is Sinnoh one is the one I fell in love with. I also liked BW Serious Rockets , Litwick episode from Best Wishes was the best Rockets we could ever see.

It will be like this

DP Rockets > SM Rockets >AG Rockets > OS Rockets > GS Rockets > Serious Rockets > XY Rockets = 2019 Rockets > BW DA Rockets

Of course if Team Rocket had their own Pokemon maybe they will be between OS Rockets and GS Rockets.

Why I love DP Rockets cause they were the comedy relief, they were the jerks who antagonize our heroes. Why I love SM Rockets cause they were fun, Innocent and they had Two really cool Pokémon. Why I dislike 2019 Rockets cause they lost something... They lost his meaning I dont know how to say it or to expresse it but there is something wrong with them. I saw a ray of light in the Chewtle episodes.

Lucky for us we have time to correct this.

I am just gonna say it: Ash and Paul may had alot of battles, but they werent that great.
I think when it comes to quality, their battles were among the best this anime ever had.
The only problem I had with Paul's character is that he was in awkward middle ground between A.J. and Damian/Shamus - he was neither a strict trainers that deeply cares about his Pokémon like A.J. nor a jerk that don't care for his Pokémon well-being like Damian and Shamus.

I agree that there should be more female representation among the cast's Pokemon (Jessie's Yanmega was a delightful example), and not just limit it to the female traveling partners and or obviously feminine looking Pokemon.

Ever since DP, in my own main series playthroughs I always try to have at least 2 girls to the team if not three; having an all male party feels awkward to me now.

I am just gonna say it: Ash and Paul may had alot of battles, but they werent that great.

I liked their battle at Lake Acuity, but that's kinda it. Even that one bothered me in some parts though 'cause of all the switching out that happened (even TRio complained about it in the dub iirc).

Their Sinnoh league battle was awful imo. People only praise it because it was the conclusion of their rivalry and because Type Wild played, but I thought that three episodes was too long and Paul using a ton of new Pokemon that he'd never used before just pissed me off.

I agree it would have been a more fulfilling fight if Paul used the Pokemon he had been routinely challenging Ash with over the course of the region, barring Electivire. Seeing Ursaring go down one more time, as well as Torterra being defeated in general, would have been cathartic.

People only praise it because it was the conclusion of their rivalry and because Type Wild played,
People hate Ash vs Paul only because they like to be edgy and they like to hate overrated things. Not to mention just the joy they get from the superior attitude and getting to criticise a bunch of entitled inferior posters. /sarcasm

Their Sinnoh league battle was awful imo. People only praise it because it was the conclusion of their rivalry and because Type Wild played, but I thought that three episodes was too long and Paul using a ton of new Pokemon that he'd never used before just pissed me off.
It was keeping in with Paul's character to use new Pokémon. He always chooses the best team for each important battle.

Rewatched Serena's arc in XY and it basically solidified my opinion that she's one of the best-written female characters in the show who matures from a little girl who ran away when things got too hard to a young woman who wants to give strength to others with her actions, and there's so much more to her than being Ash's love interest

She is willing to dirty herself and put herself in harm's way for the sake of her pokemon, and didn't hesitate to throw away a chance of getting a Princess Key if it meant one of her pokemon would be sad and alone, and turned down an extremely rare and generous offer to find her own way going forward

Also Ash is extremely helpful and supportive of her, gives surprisingly insightful advice when needed, and knew that Serena was feeling uncomfortable about something and distracted her by taking her out on a date and having a battle with her

Rewatched Serena's arc in XY and it basically solidified my opinion that she's one of the best-written female characters in the show who matures from a little girl who ran away when things got too hard to a young woman who wants to give strength to others with her actions, and there's so much more to her than being Ash's love interest

She is willing to dirty herself and put herself in harm's way for the sake of her pokemon, and didn't hesitate to throw away a chance of getting a Princess Key if it meant one of her pokemon would be sad and alone, and turned down an extremely rare and generous offer to find her own way going forward

Also Ash is extremely helpful and supportive of her, gives surprisingly insightful advice when needed, and knew that Serena was feeling uncomfortable about something and distracted her by taking her out on a date and having a battle with her
That's not a controversial opinion since you're spot on, and I'm pretty sure many here would agree with you.

That's not a controversial opinion since you're spot on, and I'm pretty sure many here would agree with you.
Twitter vehemently disagrees, unfortunately

I mean, yes, it's Twitter, but it's still kinda hilarious to see

I'm not sure how common that opinion on Serena is even for this site. I get the impression that a lot of people do see her as just the girl with a crush on Ash, which to be fair, I can understand why to a degree. That was how she was introduced and kissing Ash right before she left is probably going to be one of the more memorable things about Serena for better or for worse. I just think that she has more going on than just her crush on Ash. All of her best moments in XY revolve around her determination to become Kalos Queen and her love for her Pokemon. Granted, I think her goal being so boring and taking too long to actually introduce it are major problems with Serena's storyline, but she had some pretty solid character moments throughout the series in spite of those issues.

I wouldn't say @Twilight-Kun's opinion isn't controversial. Even here, talk about Serena isn't one-sided. It's notable how many people think she only revolves around her love for Ash, don't approve of her career path (which, in itself is a sore topic), are understandably frustrated with her lack of battling, and how many dissenting opinions there are about her returning in any capacity; speaking of which, she's the only non-Alolan female travelling partner to not feature in a side special/return after her saga; even Clemont got one. Yes, the disdain is no where near as strong as Iris's, but I don't get the feeling Serena is universally the most popular female companion as of now, either.

The story of Ash and Team Rocket needs to end in this series.

The PWT is a huge sign that something is changing in this anime.

It's hard but I think is time for Team Rocket to say bye. It's time to move on.

So I think the 25 aniversary (2022) will be his last year.

Happy 23 Birthday to my favourite Pokemon characters EVER

View: https://twitter.com/gi_xxy/status/1247539653055373316

The story of Ash and Team Rocket needs to end in this series.

The PWT is a huge sign that something is changing in this anime.

It's hard but I think is time for Team Rocket to say bye. It's time to move on.

So I think the 25 aniversary (2022) will be his last year.

Happy 23 Birthday to my favourite Pokemon characters EVER
I've heard that when the Advanced Generation was approaching, there was talk about whether to retire Misty or Team Rocket. And they went with the former because they felt the public outcry would be smaller that way.

I don't think Team Rocket is going anywhere. They're beloved by a large portion of the fandom.

Back
Top Bottom