• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Didn't give af about Ash's Kalos loss
I must admit, I was amongst the people who held realistic expectations of Ash actually winning, but unlike many of those people, I got over it almost immediately. It bugs me to see so many people being overly salty about it even all these years later.

Okay time for a REAL controversial opinion

I'm actually becoming okay with the idea of Gou catching Sobble.

IF Gou is willing to risk himself to protect Sobble and if the writers allow Sobble to get similar treatment as Raboot (to be a walking Pokemon and get some character development) then I'll be alright with it.

Seeing how Raboot has been in every single episode since it's capture episode, it actually might be more beneficial for Sobble to get more exposure IF the writers allow for it to travel with Gou and Raboot.

What bugs me even more is that there are still morons all over the internet who still clamor on the whole "he shud hef wonnn in Kalos". Not coincidentally, those types of people are XY-only fanboys most of whom worship Greninja and hate on any other series, even DP and Journeys.
There's also this "joke" about Ash's Alola League victory which I've heard so many times, and ticks me every time I see it:

"You finally won a Pokémon League?"
"Yes."
"What did it cost you?"
"Art/Animation style."

The Thanos art style meme was pretty common but there was also a number of jokes unfavorably comparing Greninja to Lycanroc (main one I remember was "Who would win? The Pokémon version of Naruto OR Man's Best Friend"). It was a huge fictional event so it brought out all the memes.
If the general internet population had still been paying attention later I can only assume Lycanroc beating Kiawe's Charizard would have summoned out even more jokes.

Although I am sort of disappointed I never saw any memes about Game of Throne's infamous final season being the sacrifice that let Ash win a league.

Although I am sort of disappointed I never saw any memes about Game of Throne's infamous final season being the sacrifice that let Ash win a league.
Be careful what you wish for... lest it comes true.

47noym.jpg

Misty's whole gimmick, when she was introduced, was that she wanted to give herself a distinction from her three spotlight-stealing older sisters. But once she got Togepi, a Pokémon never before seen at that time, something truly unique only to her, she achieved that goal and didn't need to assert herself anymore. This caused her to pretty much have no goal for the next 200+ episodes she spent traveling with Ash. She was there simply just because.

Misty wanted to be a Water-type Pokemon Master and a good gym leader, and she has many episodes dedicated to her becoming a better trainer bonding with numerous Pokemon. She showed how much she had evolved in Chronicles. She is not a May or Dawn but she was definitely a important part of the group and an important catalyst for group dynamics.

I agree that her relationship with her sisters should have been explored more, but saying "that's her whole gimmick" is like saying Dawn's
"whole gimmick" was her relationship with Kenny.

I don't think any of the main characters could even be classified as one-dimensional except for maybe Tracey, but that's because of the circumstances surrounding him.

Misty wanted to be a Water-type Pokemon Master and a good gym leader, and she has many episodes dedicated to her becoming a better trainer bonding with numerous Pokemon. She showed how much she had evolved in Chronicles. She is not a May or Dawn but she was definitely a important part of the group and an important catalyst for group dynamics.

I agree that her relationship with her sisters should have been explored more, but saying "that's her whole gimmick" is like saying Dawn's
"whole gimmick" was her relationship with Kenny.

I don't think any of the main characters could even be classified as one-dimensional except for maybe Tracey, but that's because of the circumstances surrounding him.
Okay, let's say that Togepi took away one of Misty's most prominent driving forces. Her other goals weren't really explored all that well or focused that much on. Not at least compared to Ash's goal.

Okay, let's say that Togepi took away one of Misty's most prominent driving forces. Her other goals weren't really explored all that well or focused that much on. Not at least compared to Ash's goal.

It's still pretty inaccurate to say that Misty didn't really have a goal once that she got Togepi though. Being a Water Pokemon Master was vague and they didn't really give her a lot of chances to battle despite how she was interested in becoming a stronger trainer, but that was her main goal from the start. She wanted to stand out among her sisters, but that wasn't really a goal or even a gimmick. That was more of a personal conflict that, like a lot of other things about Misty, wasn't really heavily focused on during her run in the show. Aside from Ash and Team Rocket, characters usually didn't get a lot of focus during the original series, so this wasn't just exclusive to just Misty.

It's also really strange to say that she was just there for two hundred just being there when the Whirl Cup exists. Granted, it was pretty late into Johto and most likely just done as a way to give Misty a bone since they probably already planned for May to replace her by then, but that did give Misty something to do to help further her vague goal. Both Misty and Brock suffered from blending into the background during the original series, but to say that she did nothing between getting Togepi and leaving the show is so disingenuous.

Okay, let's say that Togepi took away one of Misty's most prominent driving forces.

But did people actually congratulated Misty for "discovering" Togepi? And did them explicitly say that Togepi made her worthy of being a Sensational Sister or something like that?

Her other goals weren't really explored all that well or focused that much on. Not at least compared to Ash's goal.

Again. that's something every companion besides the coordinators are guilty of.

But did people actually congratulated Misty for "discovering" Togepi? And did them explicitly say that Togepi made her worthy of being a Sensational Sister or something like that?
No. But Misty's personality still changed notably after she got it. She didn't have to strive for uniqueness once she had achieved it, instead just basically doing mother duties for Togepi.

I guess my unpopular opinion (not sure if it actually is an unpopular one) is that if Gou really does catch Sobble in the next episode, then this series will be ruined for me because I want the best for Sobble (my favorite starter and second favorite Pokemon behind Mew) and being with Gou I think would really hurt it's chances to shine in this anime. I really don't want Go to catch Sobble. I'd rather it go to Ash.

I guess my unpopular opinion (not sure if it actually is an unpopular one) is that if Gou really does catch Sobble in the next episode, then this series will be ruined for me because I want the best for Sobble (my favorite starter and second favorite Pokemon behind Mew) and being with Gou I think would really hurt it's chances to shine in this anime. I really don't want Go to catch Sobble. I'd rather it go to Ash.

I’m pretty sure wanting Sobble to go to Ash is the overwhelming majority opinion.

I think people are jumping the gun by assuming that Sobble won't get fair treatment if it goes to Goh. Goh had been developing as a character, and having Sobble could help him develop even further. Remember how in episode 10, he just threw Poké Ball after Poké Ball at a Dewgong until he caught it? In episode 27, he tried battling immediately after failing to catch Farfetch'd with the first throw, showing that he's definitely developing and accepting new ideas.

I kinda want to see what kind of backlash the writers will get if Gou gets Sobble. Hopefully that doesn't make me look like a terrible person.

I personally don’t care if Sobble goes to Go or not, so I can’t really relate. I can’t say that hoping for them to be bombarded with backlash is not a bad thing.

I think people are jumping the gun by assuming that Sobble won't get fair treatment if it goes to Goh. Goh had been developing as a character, and having Sobble could help him develop even further. Remember how in episode 10, he just threw Poké Ball after Poké Ball at a Dewgong until he caught it? In episode 27, he tried battling immediately after failing to catch Farfetch'd with the first throw, showing that he's definitely developing and accepting new ideas.

Originally I was upset at the idea of Sobble going to Go, but I’m going to wait until we see some of Sobble’s development before I start having an actual opinion. I personally think Go and Sobble could help each other out considering they’re both weak at battling, so if they keep helping each other back and forth with their issues, I think it would be fine development.

No. But Misty's personality still changed notably after she got it. She didn't have to strive for uniqueness once she had achieved it, instead just basically doing mother duties for Togepi.

I'm not sure if she lost that strive for uniqueness exactly. Most fans complain about how her temper cooled down a bit while she basically became a mother figure for Togepi. She still wanted to become a Water Pokemon Master before and after getting Togepi. She also still clearly had her issues with her sisters post-Togepi as well, so I don't think she saw having Togepi as something unique just to her and thus resolving that personal conflict.

I'm still taking my time on watching the dub, so I can't really speak too much on Goh or how he catches Pokemon for myself just yet. However, I don't think that Sobble would necessarily be treated horribly if it went to Goh. It is a new starter Pokemon, so I'd assume that they'd want to give it more screentime. Plus, I think that Raboot has always been with Goh, so if they do the same thing with Sobble and have their relationship help both of them to become stronger/more confident, then I think it could work. I can understand being upset over Ash not getting your favorite starter though. I'd be pretty disappointed if Ash doesn't get Grookey myself, but I don't know if that would be enough to ruin the series for me.

My unpopular opinion is that I hate Dawn x Ash

In 2010-2013 I was always anti-pearl and serena's kiss was my second favorite pokemon episode after Pikachu defeating Regice.

Although, really don't care Serena, just love her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goh had been developing as a character, and having Sobble could help him develop even further. Remember how in episode 10, he just threw Poké Ball after Poké Ball at a Dewgong until he caught it? In episode 27, he tried battling immediately after failing to catch Farfetch'd with the first throw, showing that he's definitely developing and accepting new ideas.
Or he believes more in his Pokemon now and allows them to help.

Back
Top Bottom