• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

If Ash gets Sobble, imma sob in the memories of the Ninja Frog :((
images - 2020-07-10T202608.417.jpeg

I dislike shipping, mostly due to incidents in other fandoms, but also because I don't get it at all.

Well I'll try my best for a case/defense:

A. Some of us are just that sappy. Not much but there you go.

B. If the concern is over shipping kids I understand and don't understand at the same time the discomfort:

- I mean some of us ship teen/teen and adult/adult relationships as well. So it's not exclusively say Ash and whomever he is traveling with.

- Yeah there are aspects of dating not appropriate for a kid or family show, but I think it's disheartening to think that relationships are just about the risque stuff and that many seem to forget that there are signs of affection that can do fall into the Y/Y7/G.

- With that in mind, yeah sometimes I get a vibe of double standards. It's perfectly fine to be eager to see Ash go up against the more dangerous villains of the franchise, but dating is just sick and demented.

Even if people don't see anything wrong with kid ships on an ethical level you still see the realism card being play. You know like how people can accept that 12 year old Aang survived against a more experienced/murderous Fire Lord Hitler (seriously he planned to burn down the Earth Kingdom and declared that the former Air Nomads didn't deserve to live in his world), but the idea of a life long relationship with his crush is just the most implausible thing ever.

Not saying that these apply to prog rocket, just that I'm trying to cover any possible arguments against shipping.

Last edited:
Well I'll try my best for a case/defense:

A. Some of us are just that sappy. Not much but there you go.

B. If the concern is over shipping kids I understand and don't understand at the same time the discomfort:

- I mean some of us ship teen/teen and adult/adult relationships as well. So it's not exclusively say Ash and whomever he is traveling with.

- Yeah there are aspects of dating not appropriate for a kid or family show, but I think it's disheartening to think that relationships are just about the risque stuff and that many seem to forget that there are signs of affection that can do fall into the Y/Y7/G.

- With that in mind, yeah sometimes I get a vibe of double standards. It's perfectly fine to be eager to see Ash go up against the more dangerous villains of the franchise, but dating is just sick and demented.

Even if people don't see anything wrong with kid ships on an ethical level you still see the realism card being play. You know like how people can accept that 12 year old Aang survived against a more experienced/murderous Fire Lord Hitler (seriously he planned to burn down the Earth Kingdom and declared that the former Air Nomad didn't deserve to live in his world), but the idea of a life long relationship with his crush is just the most implausible thing ever.

Not saying that these apply to programs rocket, just that I'm trying to cover any possible arguments against shipping.
It's shipping in general, not just in Pokémon. Also, take in consideration that I never mentioned squick or anything like that, it's mostly the out-of-universe aspect that I mostly dislike, like writers getting death threats because their favorite couple didn't happen, or when people attacked Stephen Amell's real life girlfriend because they wanted Felicity's actress to be with him. It also doesn't help that I had fujoshi classmates that didn't stop posting yaoi pictures in Facebook*.

*I don't have problems with Yaoi itself. It's just that my classmates's reactions were... creepy to say the least.

tl;dr: People getting too obsessed with is why I don't like it.

It's shipping in general, not just in Pokémon. Also, take in consideration that I never mentioned squick or anything like that, it's mostly the out-of-universe aspect that I mostly dislike, like writers getting death threats because their favorite couple didn't happen, or when people attacked Stephen Amell's real life girlfriend because they wanted Felicity's actress to be with him. It also doesn't help that I had fujoshi classmates that didn't stop posting yaoi pictures in Facebook*.

*I don't have problems with Yaoi itself. It's just that my classmates's reactions were... creepy to say the least.

tl;dr: People getting too obsessed with is why I don't like it.
Even as someone who does have some ships I find the over-the-top reactions sigh inducing, although that's sadly a normal part of the internet for pretty much everything.

Then that's not a problem with shipping, just extreme human nature in general so you cannot blame the former for it. Such instances are not exclusive to shippings alone, it happens far more often than you'd realize in every sect of society.
I know. It's just that that's just my only exposure to the shipping fandom. Kinda like how I understand why people turned against the Pokémon fandom, since that's most likely their only exposure to it.

It's funny that as I start reading comments regarding Satoshi's shippings, I immediately remember about how were those sorts of discussing around 10 years ago on some forums I used to be part of. On those some people would go "How come Satoshi travels with a bunch of girls and never hooks up with any of them?", then to others just say "Come on, he's a 10 years old kid" xD

It's funny that as I start reading comments regarding Satoshi's shippings, I immediately remember about how were those sorts of discussing around 10 years ago on some forums I used to be part of. On those some people would go "How come Satoshi travels with a bunch of girls and never hooks up with any of them?", then to others just say "Come on, he's a 10 years old kid" xD

Yeah as I said even if you try to argue against it due to realism (as opposed to believing that puppy love is squicky) it feels either ill-informed or dishonest in that other trappings are given a pass (10-12 year old kid takes down a hardened criminal and/or tyrant with eased over an experienced soldier/cop/etc).

Sometimes it seems less like issues with morals or creative liberties and on a subconscious level, viewing them to be a man trap (women being a ball and chain), but not wanting own the real reason.

And again not applying this to you prog rocker.

Last edited:
I can understand Ash. It was until I was like... 12? 13? I didn't show any actual interest in girls. I was way too concentrated in Pokémon to notice anyone.

Not entirely too different, but even before turning 10 I never really knew I was suppose to find girls gross/icky.

And while I never went around looking for dates, I did like the idea of marriage (even if the extent of my understanding was just guy/girl* liking each other at all and living together). Yeah I was even dumber back then.

*Not opposed to guy/guy or girl/girl relationship, just my preference is the opposite. And back then I wasn't aware of same gender being a thing. Did I mention being dumber back then?

Well, some Japanese shows meant for children actively show shipping. Doraemon's many episodes involve earning the affection of the female lead, Crayon Shin-chan would be classed as harassment if it were not for a 5 year old doing the harassing and so on.

Well, some Japanese shows meant for children actively show shipping. Doraemon's many episodes involve earning the affection of the female lead, Crayon Shin-chan would be classed as harassment if it were not for a 5 year old doing the harassing and so on.
How would it not be harassment? Isn't harassment the same regardless of who's doing it?

Unpopular opinion, Dawn was a better companion to Ash than Serena.

They really have a bond, they help each others out. She was strong, and he was strong, they often train together. Dawn's pokemon was much more interesting than Serena's pokemon.
I do feel that Serena had a larger bond with all of her Pokemon compared to the other companions since she only had three throughout the Kalos Saga.

Back
Top Bottom