• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I actually loved that scene. The way Max idolised his father made it feel authentic, and Ash handled it in a very mature way that managed to resolve the situation. It was an important part for Max's character arc.

I liked the scene too. It was tear jerking and heartwarming. I loved how Norman gave Max a heartwarming speech about how losing is okay and how Ash battled hard and deserved to win. Ash even tells Max that the latter can keep the badge if he likes (which I thought was pretty cute).

I feel it is odd that Norman didn’t let his kids watch the battles. If he did Max would not have seen him as invincible.

The point is, it may rub Norman’s kids the wrong way if they kept on watching Norman lose many times. Even though Norman losing is his job as a gym leader, it can still sting to watch.

That brings to my mind one episode where Chespin gets horribly mistreated. Specifically, the episode where Serena caught her Eevee. While the group tries to lure Eevee out with Poké Puffs, Bunnelby notices Eevee taking the bait, but for some reason that still irks me to no end, it lets Eevee go. And then Clemont and Bonnie end up blaming Chespin for eating it, even though it didn't, with Bunnelby looking like "Here we go again, even though it was Bunnelby's fault in the first place! May be my hatred towards Bunnelby as a species in general, but I hated this scene a lot, and also the fact that it led to Eevee/Sylveon becoming buddies with Bunnelby.

Bunnelby himself was so fed up with Chespins actions that he didn't care if Chespin got the blame or not.

Bunnelby himself was so fed up with Chespins actions that he didn't care if Chespin got the blame or not.
That's really jerkish. Letting your friend get scolded for something they didn't do just because you're fed up with their antics.

I'll also never accept Bunnelby being friends with Sylveon. A regional rodent doesn't deserve that sort of bond with an Eevee family member. Why did Bunnelby even let Eevee go unnoticed, anyway?

That's really jerkish. Letting your friend get scolded for something they didn't do just because you're fed up with their antics.

I'll also never accept Bunnelby being friends with Sylveon. A regional rodent doesn't deserve that sort of bond with an Eevee family member. Why did Bunnelby even let Eevee go unnoticed, anyway?

Because it felt it was shy.

Because it felt it was shy.
But it also knew its Trainer and friends wouldn't harm Eevee. I already hated Bunnelby because of its design, but as if it being a Pokémon belonging to an anime protagonist wasn't enough, it had to also go and form a special bond with one of my favorite Pokémon of the Generation.

A controversial opinion of mine is that Ash in Best Wishes is a likable character to me. While I agree with the fans that the regression of Ash’s character in the BW arc was a disservice, Ash still had his likable qualities.

He was still a good trainer and a nice guy. It always stings for me to see Ash (BW) on the loathsome characters wiki. Sure BW Ash has his flaws, but I don’t think he merits a page on that website.

A regional rodent doesn't deserve that sort of bond with an Eevee family member.
That's awfully old-fashioned, don't you think?
I won’t lie but the regional rodent can’t have a bond with Eevee’s sounds really wrong and is some kind of "-phobic". I don’t know what exactly to call it though :confused:

I won’t lie but the regional rodent can’t have a bond with Eevee’s sounds really wrong and is some kind of "-phobic". I don’t know what exactly to call it though :confused:
Maybe not that far, but it does certainly have some degree of bias. Like somebody claiming it's wrong for people to own both a rabbit and a tarantula as pets at the same time solely because the former is cute while the latter is "ugly"

Besides, Pokemon are technically the animals of their universe, so I seriously doubt they'd have the exact same views as humans do on aesthetics: who knows, maybe to Eevees and their evolutions, the Bunnelby line is quite pretty :wynaut:

A controversial opinion of mine is that Ash in Best Wishes is a likable character to me. While I agree with the fans that the regression of Ash’s character in the BW arc was a disservice, Ash still had his likable qualities.

He was still a good trainer and a nice guy. It always stings for me to see Ash (BW) on the loathsome characters wiki. Sure BW Ash has his flaws, but I don’t think he merits a page on that website.
I went and checked out that wiki because this is the first time I've heard of it, and I gotta say, I was very unimpressed. Not only are there plenty of loathsome characters (though admittedly not necessarily from the Pokemon anime itself) FAR more deserving than BW Ash nowhere to be found in the listings, but a good chunk of characters that are listed are ones that were intentionally designed to be unlikable. Granted, it's possible that the wiki simply lists any unlikable character regardless of if it was intentional or not, but I think it's far more of a problem for a story if a character that wasn't intended to be disliked comes off as such anyway, since a character intentionally designed to be a loathsome isn't one that we're supposed to root for and can be counted to get their comeuppance, while an unintentionally loathsome one will get rewarded despite or sometimes even because of their horribleness, and that's never not frustrating to watch.

That said, I got a good chuckle out of Tobias and Cameron being there, so there's that.

Last edited:
They deserved to be on there, though. They were very poorly written characters, and Ash’s loss to both of them were extremely problematic.
And as I have said before here: Tobias is not a character, but a PLOT DEVICE. I mean, he's a guy who steamrolled through an entire region with a DARKRAI (a pokemon that literally most people in-universe don't even believe to exist). I get it that it's fiction and all, but seriously? NO ONE EVER TALKED ABOUT THIS GUY???? He shoud been the talk of the region for that. And not only Darkrai, but LATIOS and even more unknow Pokemon. He was only made up to snatch the win from Ash cuz they knew that he was supossed to win the Sinnoh League.

And as I have said before here: Tobias is not a character, but a PLOT DEVICE. I mean, he's a guy who steamrolled through an entire region with a DARKRAI (a pokemon that literally most people in-universe don't even believe to exist). I get it that it's fiction and all, but seriously? NO ONE EVER TALKED ABOUT THIS GUY???? He shoud been the talk of the region for that. And not only Darkrai, but LATIOS and even more unknow Pokemon. He was only made up to snatch the win from Ash cuz they knew that he was supossed to win the Sinnoh League.

I heard that executive meddling had a lot to do with Ash losing the Sinnoh league.

Back
Top Bottom