• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

1).Every Character From Misty To Alolan Friends Should Get A Complete End What They Should Get Means May Become A Top Coordinator Or Misty Become Permanent Gym Leader In Cerulean Or That's Really Controversial
2). Make Me The Top Producer And English Writer Of Anime Who Decide How The Story Goes I Have Great Ideas For Them
3).Greninja Is Very Overrated And Ash Was Too Dependent On Him

Johto has the most rewatch-worthy episodes.

Mewtwo Returns is better than the first movie (but the latter is still better than any movie after the first three).

Dawn is a boring character, but Serena makes her look good.
Controversial Enough

Last edited:
I might get burned but I shall go down shooting:

Serena is not an awful character, but she is so boring and bland. It seems like everything about her revolves around Ash. And imo that's pretty bad for a ''love interest'', ESPECIALLY for a female character. Even the ''Showcase'' arc was rushed and way too short, and Contests were WAY better.

Basically nearly everything she did was done better by May and Dawn.

First post, so tell if I make a mistake. This turned into an essay:bulbaFacepalm:

Not sure if this is controversial.

The writers for JN don't seem to have an idea of where they are going with the story if they have thought of a story at all. They also seem to be more interested in Go than any other character including Ash who is supposedly also a protag.

Also they overdid Riolu to the point that right now the next time I could honestly say I want to see another Lucario episode is about May/June this year.

They also missed some golden opportunities in my opinion where Ash could have caught a pokemon. The first instance could have been JN06 if both Ash and Go caught a Scyther with opposing personalities they could have eventually traded their Scythers.

This could of had multiple beneficial effects
1. New pokemon for Go's pokedex also if Go did it for the benefit of his Scyther not his pokedex, it would illustrate Go's growth.
2. Another strong pokemon for Ash's team even though it won't be needed it reminds us of how much Ash cares for his pokemon doing it with same reasoning as Go (they could illustrate this with Ash saying multiple times after its capture that he won't force it to battle if it doesn't want to).

The first fossil episode was also a good chance they could of let Go get the Aerodactyl and Ash also get one (Tyrunt personally) , you could even make it that the fossil that Ash rejuvenates was given to him by Koharu. She could give it to him for helping her during the day while Go was so obsessed with finding a fossil of his own, yes I know it contradicts her personality but it could be interesting. It might also have made Ash catching Dracovish an actual surprise instead of three weeks of dread until the air date.

( I'm not too sure just how controversial this is considering a lot of people also don't like them, but I don't know what the ''general consensus of the fandom'' is so...)

One of the best things about Journeys in my opinion is that Team Rocket is barely appearing. Thank God for that. I will expand a bit in the spoiler box so it doesn't clogs the screen:

I don't think they are bad characters. They do have some nice storylines and I get their main purpose in the show: To be a ''quick and easy'' plot device for the eps. ''OH WHY IS THIS THING HAPPENING HERE???'' ''Oh yeah that's just TRio doing their thing''. They are pretty much there because they can create conflicts VERY easily for an episode. It's actually very simple to use them to move the plot of an episode forward and for an important event to happen, like triggering one of the main cast's Pokemon evolution or learning a new move (Like the countless times it happened to one of Ash's Pokemon), to have a Pokemon to join a character's team mainly out of gratitude (i.e Dawn's Buneary and Serena's Eevee/Sylveon), to cause two characters to stop fighting and help each other out, etc. Which is, to me, the main reason they don't retire these characters besides their marketability aspect.

But my personal problem? Especially in the first series (Kanto-Sinnoh, since I do think they soften them up upon the audience from Unova beyond, even if for just a bit), they are just somehow shoehorned in nearly every single episode. They were there doing the same thing over and over again: Capturing Pikachu/a random Mon, introducing themselves everytime, getting easily defeated and getting Thunderbolted into the sky. Rinse and Repeat. And it just feels like they make the episode drag itself out. They are SO annoying to me, and 99% of the time it feels like they have no reason to be there besides being the culprit for the problem the characters have to solve out. It's exausting tbh.

I hope they keep them like this going forward, but keeping some of their storylines tho. But ONLY IF they get rid of that Gacha Machine. Why can't Pikachu just Thunderbolt that Pelliper all the way back to TR HQ? It's 4x weak to it. Lol.

( I'm not too sure just how controversial this is considering a lot of people also don't like them, but I don't know what the ''general consensus of the fandom'' is so...)

One of the best things about Journeys in my opinion is that Team Rocket is barely appearing. Thank God for that. I will expand a bit in the spoiler box so it doesn't clogs the screen:

I don't think they are bad characters. They do have some nice storylines and I get their main purpose in the show: To be a ''quick and easy'' plot device for the eps. ''OH WHY IS THIS THING HAPPENING HERE???'' ''Oh yeah that's just TRio doing their thing''. They are pretty much there because they can create conflicts VERY easily for an episode. It's actually very simple to use them to move the plot of an episode forward and for an important event to happen, like triggering one of the main cast's Pokemon evolution or learning a new move (Like the countless times it happened to one of Ash's Pokemon), to have a Pokemon to join a character's team mainly out of gratitude (i.e Dawn's Buneary and Serena's Eevee/Sylveon), to cause two characters to stop fighting and help each other out, etc. Which is, to me, the main reason they don't retire these characters besides their marketability aspect.

But my personal problem? Especially in the first series (Kanto-Sinnoh, since I do think they soften them up upon the audience from Unova beyond, even if for just a bit), they are just somehow shoehorned in nearly every single episode. They were there doing the same thing over and over again: Capturing Pikachu/a random Mon, introducing themselves everytime, getting easily defeated and getting Thunderbolted into the sky. Rinse and Repeat. And it just feels like they make the episode drag itself out. They are SO annoying to me, and 99% of the time it feels like they have no reason to be there besides being the culprit for the problem the characters have to solve out. It's exausting tbh.

I hope they keep them like this going forward, but keeping some of their storylines tho. But ONLY IF they get rid of that Gacha Machine. Why can't Pikachu just Thunderbolt that Pelliper all the way back to TR HQ? It's 4x weak to it. Lol.
If we're assuming that increased TRio appearances would mean they'd be delegated to cheap copy/paste conflict every episode, than I suppose a lower appearance rate is for the best, however there is no reason that has to be the case. When they are written organically into an episode, they are almost always the highlight. SM proved that they are entertaining enough to carry entire episodes by themselves, without Ash even appearing.

If we're assuming that increased TRio appearances would mean they'd be delegated to cheap copy/paste conflict every episode, than I suppose a lower appearance rate is for the best, however there is no reason that has to be the case. When they are written organically into an episode, they are almost always the highlight. SM proved that they are entertaining enough to carry entire episodes by themselves, without Ash even appearing.
I agree. But the issue arises when you realize that they RARELY get some organic, good writing. Most of the time is just them clogging the episode por 4-5 minutes and not doing anything of value.

We've even gotten some of that in Journeys already, like in the Ditto and Vacation episodes they were in. I even liked their role in the eating contest episode. We just need more of this stuff.

This is in reference to the Pokemon Dub. While I still prefer 4kids dub over TCPI, I found the last few years of the 4kids dub to be excruciatingly mediocre. Veronica Taylor sounded completely different from her voice work in Kanto and Johto, Eric Stuart decided to yell everytime james spoke and Brock never sounded the same after he returned in Johto. And the rest of the 3 voice actors they used all sounded the same.

I agree. But the issue arises when you realize that they RARELY get some organic, good writing. Most of the time is just them clogging the episode por 4-5 minutes and not doing anything of value.
I would agree this is unfortunately true in PM19, however SM in particular proved this did not have to be the case. I can count on one hand the number of episodes during that saga when this was a complaint.

I would agree this is unfortunately true in PM19, however SM in particular proved this did not have to be the case. I can count on one hand the number of episodes during that saga when this was a complaint.
Yeah, I see. But I still do think that they get reduced to obnoxious annoyances WAY to much. C'mon, they have some excelent episodes where they show compassion and that they are not that bad: Them releasing Arbok and Weezing, Jessie's Dustox, Jame's Inkay, Jessie's Gourgeist, Meowth and Litten, The last SM episode, and so on. And even VERY funny ones, like the Eating Competition in Journeys: seriously, I don't recall the last time I had this much fun seeing the TRio.

But it's sad the writers seems to always go back to the cheap overdone copy/paste they always do. Not saying they need an emotional ep all the time, ofc, but if their appearances were more ''dosed'' and not shoehorned into the plot all the time and more thought out, they could be WAY more enjoyable.

Like I said: see SM for an example of this done amazingly well. Beyond that we are not going to agree on them being overused or obnoxious so I will leave it here for now!

I think the worst use of Team Rocket by far is the time where they constantly felt the need to interrupt Quilava's battle against Nando's Armaldo. Now, let's not forget that this is the first time in YEARS that Quilava has even had a major role, and not only that but they evolved recently, so one would think the writers would know that the audience would naturally want to see the full extent of just what Quilava is now capable of, right? LOLNOPE, why don't we instead focus on the pointless shenanigans of three characters who literally have all the time in the world to get spotlight rather than the improved battle skills of a character who will likely never get the chance to shine again?

Yeah, needless to say, I was FURIOUS when that happened. And that's why I don't mind that Team Rocket no longer appear every episode unless the plot really demands that they do. The DPP saga is probably where they were at their most obnoxious because it's like the writers felt they had to give them screentime every episode, ultimately culminating in things like the Quilava fiasco I mentioned. Thank goodness they're used in moderation now.

Yeah, needless to say, I was FURIOUS when that happened. And that's why I don't mind that Team Rocket no longer appear every episode unless the plot really demands that they do. The DPP saga is probably where they were at their most obnoxious because it's like the writers felt they had to give them screentime every episode, ultimately culminating in things like the Quilava fiasco I mentioned. Thank goodness they're used in moderation now.
I still think this was one of the DP anime biggest sins. God the TRio had no business being that obnoxious all the time.

The biggest is still Tobias but let's NOT talk about THAT...

I DESPISE Goh's Scorbunny. It was shown as a strong Pokemon in it's debut episode but then, It became a weakling that did nothing other than being annoying. It was advertised as an ''Expert Kicker'' while the only thing it was expert at was annoying me. It was also annoying, disobedient and very dumb. It was not cute either. I love Raboot tho.

Don't thing this is controversial but I completely disliked how they rushed Scorbunny's Evolution, but I have a different reason why I didn't like it than most others. They were building up Scorbunny's "Adamant" & "Fun" Personality so much in the early episodes which became pointless once it evolved into Raboot. So, bad move.

I DESPISE Goh's Scorbunny. It was shown as a strong Pokemon in it's debut episode but then, It became a weakling that did nothing other than being annoying. It was advertised as an ''Expert Kicker'' while the only thing it was expert at was annoying me. It was also annoying, disobedient and very dumb. It was not cute either. I love Raboot tho.
How ya feeling about Cinderace? He's basically just Scorbunny but bigger

Despite Cinderace being my favorite of the line, Gou's hasn't really endeared itself to me yet. I loved Gou's Raboot, and I'm honestly starting to wish it hadn't evolved so soon.

My problem with Cinderace is that it's pretty much reached a Dead End Character Development wise. And we're not even halfway through the series yet.

It's conflicted feelings with Gou have been long resolved.

It's reached it's final stage and it's very strong without even having much Training Experience.

There's nowhere left to go with it development wise

Well there's still the G-Max they can show off but that's about it

Back
Top Bottom