• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Then why did they make Chimchar the ace of Ash's team and his best Pokemon?

Ash always needs an Ace and all his aces match his preferred fighting style of fast, agile pokemon and Infernape was the best choice because if you ask me Ash's next bet for an ace would have been Garchomp but Gible only appeared really late in the series and giving Ash the same ace as the champion could have been a big no no.

Yes Ash has over the years developed into a more flexible trainer and can now use slower pokemon more efficiently but his preferred style remains speed orientated.

Ash always needs an Ace and all his aces match his preferred fighting style of fast, agile pokemon and Infernape was the best choice because if you ask me Ash's next bet for an ace would have been Garchomp but Gible only appeared really late in the series and giving Ash the same ace as the champion could have been a big no no.

Yes Ash has over the years developed into a more flexible trainer and can now use slower pokemon more efficiently but his preferred style remains speed orientated.
You know what, I, for some reason, never noticied Ash usually goes for the speed and hyper offense.

And now I wonder: Maybe this was why Torterra and Boldore weren't that great in battle? Ash sure struggled with using slower Pokemon in the past.

1. SM is bad series and its comedy is bad.
I disagree. In SM, Ash had a family and actually fell in love with the region he was in, not just the friends he made in it. The comedy is really up to taste, I admit, but as the series progressed, it got better.
9.Ash shouldn't catch any Mythical or Legendary( Melmetal and in future if he does catch Legendary) but him training Pokemon from zero to 10 is much better and rewarding.
He can be made to catch a Legendary or Mythical in a believable way. Especially with how Journeys is treating him. Not that it's necessary, of course.
10.BW is better than SM.
N O . BW is the worst, and SM is amongst the best series in the anime.
12. Alola league is not real league because there's no badges and even James got to Top 8, Lillie to top 16, Principal Oak to Top 16.
Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not a League. It's not really up to the fans to define what is one and what isn't. And so many notable characters got to Top 16 because you only needed to survive the Battle Royal.
13.Pikachu vs TK battle is overrated and many other 1 on 1 battles like Infernape vs Electivire, Torracat vs Incineroar, Charizard vs Dragonite are much better than it.
Why do you think it's overrated? I thought it was phenomenal. It was the result of a lot of buildup and had great music, emotions, and animation, and it felt so rewarding.
14.Just because Ash has beat Kukui with SM team that doesn't mean that Ash's SM team is the strongest. Ash's SM team is like 3rd or 4th in strength( not counting Pikachu) and Kukui is nowhere near E4 level or even Champion.
In the games, Kukui was the equivalent of a Champion, and I think his anime self was close to that level too. And Ash's Alola team wasn't one of his strongest just because he beat Kukui, but because almost all of it was fully evolved and even included a speedy and strong UB and a tanky Mythical that hits like a truck.
16. Pokemon's BW-JN era is copycat of OS-DP era and really bad copycat.
I don't really see that. In what way?

There is too much filler. Like, Chimchar joined Ash on episode 52 but still managed to be Ash's best Pokemon which is baffling tbh.

Not really. There are filler episodes in DP of course, but the notion that there's too much isn't accurate. Ash didn't get Chimchar until episode 52, but I don't think he could have gotten it earlier or that it means that there was a lot of filler episodes during DP's first year in particular. There was a lot going on in DP with its different storylines. While there are still filler episodes, I always felt like a lot of fans exaggerate how much there is given the pace/length of the series.

Not really. There are filler episodes in DP of course, but the notion that there's too much isn't accurate. Ash didn't get Chimchar until episode 52, but I don't think he could have gotten it earlier or that it means that there was a lot of filler episodes during DP's first year in particular. There was a lot going on in DP with its different storylines. While there are still filler episodes, I always felt like a lot of fans exaggerate how much there is given the pace/length of the series.
In my opinion, the worst thing about Chimchar was how Ash earned most of his Sinnoh Badges without it evolving, and then it suddenly evolves twice in between two Badges. A bit unbalanced, I say.

* Goh is the best protagonist since Dawn and the only issue I have with him is how they're pacing his goal

* BW TRio was much more interesting than XY TRio from a plot perspective (sorry Wobb, not even you can save XY TRio)

* Ash not getting any starters on his team (as of now) is one of the best decisions the animes done and opens up possibilities for more variety on his team which is already showing

* Ash, Iris, and Cilan have the best chemistry in the series other than the OG team

* Alain deserved the Kalos League win.

* The Rocket Gachat is a great addition to the series only ruined by TRio not being allowed to also have their own Pokemon. A variety of filler battles is 1000x more entertaining than Psybeam/Shadow Ball spam for 2 minutes

I disagree. In SM, Ash had a family and actually fell in love with the region he was in, not just the friends he made in it. The comedy is really up to taste, I admit, but as the series progressed, it got better.

He can be made to catch a Legendary or Mythical in a believable way. Especially with how Journeys is treating him. Not that it's necessary, of course.

N O . BW is the worst, and SM is amongst the best series in the anime.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not a League. It's not really up to the fans to define what is one and what isn't. And so many notable characters got to Top 16 because you only needed to survive the Battle Royal.

Why do you think it's overrated? I thought it was phenomenal. It was the result of a lot of buildup and had great music, emotions, and animation, and it felt so rewarding.

In the games, Kukui was the equivalent of a Champion, and I think his anime self was close to that level too. And Ash's Alola team wasn't one of his strongest just because he beat Kukui, but because almost all of it was fully evolved and even included a speedy and strong UB and a tanky Mythical that hits like a truck.

I don't really see that. In what way?
Funny how this is controversial opinions and you put NO at my opinion claiming like it's objective that SM > BW and that's fact that it's not true that BW > SM. Very funny.

Anyway to answer some of the points or all. Ash having a "family" and falling in love in a region are not selling points. Ash always had a family in previous series with his Pokemon, his companions are also his family. Comedy for me is bad. At least in early seasons Ash was roasting everyone like Misty, May, Brock, TR were also roasting everyone. I do remember Meowth using remote to fats fowards motto, those were all gems. Yet what we have here in SM is some bad puns and some faces..(?) LOL?

I disagree. Legendary/Mythical are one of the strongest Pokemon and it's much better if Ash trained non Leg/Myth and that Pokemon gets a crown to be really strong like Pikachu, Charizard, Infernape etc.

It's not a league. There's no badges and everyone can be in it. Oak who is a principal was in TOp 16 that means remaining 100+ people are far worse than Principal that wouldn't even pass 1st badge. Lillie is Top 16 who is bad as Oak. There are TRIO who are always weak( Mimikyu is only strong as plot demands it against Pikachu). Entire Battel Royale is bad. Because it's free for all and people did save each other based on nepotism. In real league there wouldn't be that because it's based on strength and competence while Alola league is not( for at least BR and Top 16. Even at Top 8 there are people who wouldn't even get all 8 badges like Lana, James, Hau.

BW for me is better than SM and BW is meh, at least BW didn't have that bad comedy and it was more battle oriented. That's already a win over SM.
If I have to rank all Pokemon series I would go DP > AG > OS > XY > BW > SM.

It's overrated because many people think it's the best 1 on 1 only because of the last Z move barrage between two Pokemon. Remove final scene and many people wouldn't say it's best 1 on 1.

Anime=/= games there's nothing that put Kukui on that level so no he's not a champion at all. XY team is also entirely fully evolves so based on that they're all really strong? Nope. Also, UBs don't mean strong. Guzzlord is the only one that's been presented to be strong. Melmetal is strong yes but he can't carry whole team. SM team excluding Pikachu is not strongest.
I already commented on copycat.

Last edited:
I actually like Ash's Lucario. Sure the writers have a huge issue when it comes to balancing his team and Gengar, Dragonite, G-Farfetch'd deserve more screen time than they get, but I genuinely like Ash's Lucario. Its been a Pokemon I've wanted to see him have for years and as a Riolu, it was the cutest thing ever. I'm just disappointed we didn't get a trainer and 'mon get separated episode with Pikachu, Riolu, and Raboot trying to find Ash and Goh. We got it with Cinderace and Lucario, but one before they evolved would have been cuter.

* Goh is the best protagonist since Dawn and the only issue I have with him is how they're pacing his goal

* BW TRio was much more interesting than XY TRio from a plot perspective (sorry Wobb, not even you can save XY TRio)

* Ash not getting any starters on his team (as of now) is one of the best decisions the animes done and opens up possibilities for more variety on his team which is already showing

* Ash, Iris, and Cilan have the best chemistry in the series other than the OG team

* Alain deserved the Kalos League win.

* The Rocket Gachat is a great addition to the series only ruined by TRio not being allowed to also have their own Pokemon. A variety of filler battles is 1000x more entertaining than Psybeam/Shadow Ball spam for 2 minutes
Definitely some of the most controversial opinions here.

Last edited:
I personally don't think the amount of filler is my issue with DP. It's more so the fact that even the episodes where there's some plot progression are structured and presented the same way as fillers. Not all of them of course, and I'm just 1/8 of my rewatch to talk about how the series moves forward.

I with ya pal, the first year of DP was a chore to sit through, even though it very nicely set up the next 3 fantastic years of the anime.

I'm not really interested in rivals Ash already overcame like Gary or Paul coming back for the PWC; we already know he can defeat them so showing it again isn't anything new. I think overcoming opponents he never managed to defeat (league kickers, Palmer, Sabrina, etc.) or never battled (many Elite Four and champions) would feel like a better way to advance his arc.

Back
Top Bottom