• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I dunno, I just feel like after seeing Paul completely destroy him at Lake Acuity, it really made it hard to believe Ash didn't just win in the league because Paul mistakenly used what he thought would be more effective then his big guns, especially when you consider how badly he swept Barry with them in that 3-0 match. I'm not some Paul fanboy or anything, I honestly hate his guts. I just wanted to see Ash and his Sinnoh team get a chance to take down Paul's big guns like Magmortar and Torterra, rather then a bunch of random mons we've barely or never seen before.
For all we know, Paul has trained all of his team members equally hard. This "B-team" was just as competent as his main one. It was in character for Paul to build a team to specifically counter Ash's main team. And while I'm not a fanboy either, I can recognize how well Paul was written as a character, from start to finish.

For all we know, Paul has trained all of his team members equally hard. This "B-team" was just as competent as his main one. It was in character for Paul to build a team to specifically counter Ash's main team. And while I'm not a fanboy either, I can recognize how well Paul was written as a character, from start to finish.
THIS. It's even implied that he has even more Pokemon that we didn't saw. I'm rewatching DP, and there is an episode Paul says he wanted Chimchar to become his ''strongest out of all of his Fire-types'', it's basically comfirmed that he has more than we know of, since the only other Fire Type we saw him using was Magmortar, who was captured after he kicked Chimchar out. And knowing him, he wouldn't keep ''useless'' Pokemon around. They are strong and well trained, just as much as his ''main'' team.

... Is your bar for someone "attacking you" seriously someone qouting your post with a statement of his own opinion?
Even if it wasn't their intent it came off as somewhat malicious imo

I've expressed interest in wanting to seeing something that I would love and then someone responds with "Ew No" then yeah I kinda do see it as an attack even if it is their opinion.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive for this forum and I understand that people are allowed to express their own opinions (unless it's about Goh for some reason...) but it definitely made me not want to express my own opinion here

Last edited:
Even if it wasn't their intent it came off as somewhat malicious imo

I've expressed interest in wanting to seeing something that I would love and then someone responds with "Ew No" then yeah I kinda do see it as an attack even if it is their opinion.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive for this forum and I understand that people are allowed to express their own opinions (unless it's about Goh for some reason...) but it definitely made me not want to express my own opinion here
You saw that as malicious? Seriously? Again, that wasn't my intent.

A Reminder About This Thread - Please Read
:bulbagarden: It seems this bears mentioning once more - a reminder that this is the controversial opinion thread. As in, a safe space for users to share opinions that may be disagreed with elsewhere in the AM section. The expectation is that users are respectful here with their comments, for their own posts and that to others.

If you have something negative to say about an already controversial opinion, please refrain from doing so - this is not the thread for debating unpopular opinions or things you explicitly disagree with. Thank you! :bulbaWave:

this is not the thread for debating unpopular opinions or things you explicitly disagree with.
Whilst I completely understand what you are talking about/agree with the spirit of your post, isn't this exactly the thread in which to respectfully discuss such things? I know I have had a couple of very good debates here when my views have been respectfully challenged (emphasis on the respectful aspect of that lol). Of course if that is impossible to moderate and everyone else feels completely differently then that is fair enough and I too will toe the line, but this is a forum after all and I think we're all here because we want to talk about Pokemon, not just click likes on each other's posts.

The writers forgot about Ash Ketchum, it really doesn't sound believable.

We haven't watched an episode about Ash for 3 months. I thought this episode would focus on Ash. Disappointment officially.

The authors officially waste Ash.

Whilst I completely understand what you are talking about/agree with the spirit of your post, isn't this exactly the thread in which to respectfully discuss such things? I know I have had a couple of very good debates here when my views have been respectfully challenged (emphasis on the respectful aspect of that lol). Of course if that is impossible to moderate and everyone else feels completely differently then that is fair enough and I too will toe the line, but this is a forum after all and I think we're all here because we want to talk about Pokemon, not just click likes on each other's posts.
Yep, like,,, ofc people shouldn't jump on each others necks for their opinions here, but this a forum for a reason. And forums were created espcifically for debating about a certain thing. If you don't want your opinion/take debated, don't post it online. And if you don't wanna debate something, don't come and comment on a thread that was made especifically for it, u know? At least that's my opinion.

And I’m pretty sure the thread asks for controversial opinions because those are the ones which generally incite a response. It should be fine as long as the comment isn’t just "No, I disagree" or something like "Your opinion is wrong", and there are rules against comments like that anyways.

If you have something negative to say about an already controversial opinion, please refrain from doing so - this is not the thread for debating unpopular opinions or things you explicitly disagree with.
It’s important to read the full sentence of what Alola had posted for context. I think it should be clear based on the lack of moderation in this thread until this point that respectful disagreements and discourse are completely fine.

What Alola was saying is that the issue begins when people retort with overly negative responses to opinions that were obviously going to be controversial in the first place.

It’s important to read the full sentence of what Alola had posted for context. I think it should be clear based on the lack of moderation in this thread until this point that respectful disagreements and discourse are completely fine.

What Alola was saying is that the issue begins when people retort with overly negative responses to opinions that were obviously going to be controversial in the first place.
So 'ew no' and 'you're wrong' are overly negative? Seriously? Why and since when?

So 'ew no' and 'you're wrong' are overly negative? Seriously? Why and since when?
Saying “ew no” in response to someone’s opinion is pretty clearly overly negative, yes. I don’t see any instance in which the latter phrase was even being discussed.

Anyway, I’d appreciate if any individual concerns were brought up with us privately to avoid derailing the thread any further. Discussing an in-thread announcement is one thing, but this is specific to a particular user(s). Thanks.

Admittedly, I am having difficulty believing that you understood the spirit of my message when you quoted half of a sentence without the context of the full post. And from there, a sentiment has brewed that I am telling people they cannot have respectful disagreements in this thread.

First, let me apologize if I was unclear. I did not mean to say that users cannot discuss controversial opinions in this thread; in fact, this is my favorite thread in this section for the conversations that are had here.

Second, let me reiterate what I meant in the snippet of the post you quoted.

As I said before in my initial post, the "expectation is that users are respectful here with their comments, for their own posts and that to others." As in yes - users are allowed to respond to other users controversial opinions, provided they are kind and polite about it. I have and people have done so with me. I am not saying you cannot do so.

However. If someone posts a post that you innately disagree with (in the controversial opinion thread especially), that you have no intention of changing your mind on, that all you would be able to do is muster up a completely negative comment(s) under the veil of "I'm having a debate," then no - this is not the place for that. It offers nothing insightful or positive to the discussion aside from hurt feelings and an air of tension that may make users feel that they cannot share their opinions - in the thread specifically made for such opinions to be shared without such ire.

Furthermore, I'm seeing a lot of interchanging with "discussions" and "debates" along with their nature in a forum. Firstly, understand that a forum is a place to exchange ideas - that includes several types of representation to how that is done; it is not solely a place to debate someone's opinion. Secondly, debates are not interchangeable with discussions and my comment regarded the former. Several users like to veil attacks or rude comments under the guise of a "debate," where they have no intention of conceding or altering their opinion - that was what I was speaking to and what is not allowed here. I could have been more direct with that, and I apologize. That aside, I am saying it very clearly now - if you are going to "debate" someone, or you earnestly want to discuss their opinion with them, you need to do so with substance and respect; otherwise, don't.

I hope this clears up any confusion or misunderstandings of my post, along with the expectations we have here. I can see how a part of what I said could have come across that way and yes, I could have worded it better. However, I also recognize the importance of reading over an entire post or sentence for complete context and understanding.

@Alola sorry if it seemed I was having a go or intentionally misquoting you to make you look bad: I wasn't. I did read your entire post, but honestly it wasn't clear to me if the rules of engagement in this thread were changing as of your post. I was merely asking for clarification. Again, apologies for any offence inadvertently caused.

....Well... that was definitely something wasn't it?

Anyways, I don't about you but Butch's eng dub voice is AWFUL imo. Not to throw shade to the voice actor, but who thought that giving him that ''old man who smoked cigarettes for 50 years'' voice was a good idea? I'm rewatching Sinnoh in the eng dub this time, and how did you guys even put up with that?

Back
Top Bottom