• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

1. First 50 Episodes of XY were actually really boring except for a few standout episodes.

2. The decline of the anime started when Diamond & Pearl ended.

3. The Problem with Goh isn't with the way he is being handled, it's that he exists. The only way of making the show better better is by getting rid of him. There is no way to fix his arc and his dumb goal.

4. Ash can still develop after his dramatic arc in XY&Z unlike what head writer of the anime said. In fact there is always room for him to develop.

Bea & Korrina cannot even be considered as Rivals if they merely appear and if there is less references to them. Ash has no rival in this series.
I don't think this is quite accurate. Sure, Korrina definitely isn't a rival, but Bea does have a few classic Ash rival beats, including Ash having battled her more than once and not yet having a clear victory against her (their last match ended in a draw, and there's very strong implications that they'll battle again now that Ash's Riolu has evolved). Another possible rival candidate is the Gallade trainer from best boy Farfetch'd's first focus episode. Finally, there's Leon, whom Ash has stated to be aiming to defeat, making him something of a rival as well.

The reason none of these guys have appeared much has less to do with Ash not having a rival this series and more to do with the fact that the PWC as a whole has been shoved into the background a lot this series, which is certainly a big problem. Let's just hope Journeys gets back on track soon.

I don't think this is quite accurate. Sure, Korrina definitely isn't a rival, but Bea does have a few classic Ash rival beats, including Ash having battled her more than once and not yet having a clear victory against her (their last match ended in a draw, and there's very strong implications that they'll battle again now that Ash's Riolu has evolved). Another possible rival candidate is the Gallade trainer from best boy Farfetch'd's first focus episode. Finally, there's Leon, whom Ash has stated to be aiming to defeat, making him something of a rival as well.

The reason none of these guys have appeared much has less to do with Ash not having a rival this series and more to do with the fact that the PWC as a whole has been shoved into the background a lot this series, which is certainly a big problem. Let's just hope Journeys gets back on track soon.
So will you consider Bea as a rival if she just appears once or twice again?

So I finally got to watch the episode with the dancing Raboot you guys were discussing a few pages ago and honestly I don't understand the controversy. The episode couldn't make it more obvious if it outright spelt it out to the audience that dancing wasn't what Raboot wanted to do or even something new it was trying out. Pokémon from that part of Hoenn apparently resolved territory issues by having some sort of dancing competitions, and Raboot was trying to help Lombre and those Zigzagoons, just like it did back in Galar as a Scorbunny. I think the episode was pretty straightforward regarding that and genuinely don't get where you guys got all that about dancing being Raboot's goal. :p

I however didn't like how the end of the episode was handled. Goh almost abandoned Raboot and just got away with it because Raboot was conveniently there all the time :cautious:. I feel that could've lead to some good conflict, and even if it didn't, Goh shouldn't have gotten away with it so easily. Imagine how horrible it must be to be abandoned by your Trainer like that. You wake up, and he's nowhere to be seen. He's just gone, with no previous warning, no reasons given, no farewells. Even if Goh did it with good intentions it is still a horrible thing to do and shouldn't just go unpunished like that.

Now that I think about it, I don't like how Goh is handled in general. But that seems to be a rather widespread opinion...

I however didn't like how the end of the episode was handled. Goh almost abandoned Raboot and just got away with it because Raboot was conveniently there all the time :cautious:. I feel that could've lead to some good conflict, and even if it didn't, Goh shouldn't have gotten away with it so easily. Imagine how horrible it must be to be abandoned by your Trainer like that. You wake up, and he's nowhere to be seen. He's just gone, with no previous warning, no reasons given, no farewells. Even if Goh did it with good intentions it is still a horrible thing to do and shouldn't just go unpunished like that.

I think that saying Goh abandoned Raboot is a bit too harsh of a way to describe it. He genuinely thought that Raboot would be happier without him and left it with Pokemon that Raboot went out of his way to help. Goh ideally should have asked Raboot if it wanted to stay there instead of assuming that was the case or gave a clear farewell to Raboot after it woke up, which probably ties into Goh not really undestanding his Pokemon's feelings at the beginning of the series, but I don't think it's fair to say that he got away with almost abandoning Raboot. I don't think he needed to be punished for it exactly either. Goh did immediately regret his decision after Ash confronted him about it and he was going to go back for it before the train left. I think it was less about giving Goh a free pass for what he did to Raboot and more like they wanted to mirror Scorbunny thinking that it lost its chance to find Goh at the beginning of the series with Goh thinking he lost Raboot.

For me, the Unova League is the worst League Conference, followed by the Indigo League. They're the lower tier Leagues for me. Hoenn is in the middle. Kalos is the lowest of the high ranking Leagues for me (due to how rushed it was). It is then followed by Johto, while the Sinnoh and Alola Leagues (in no particular order, can't decide which one is better) are at the top.

I truly don't know if this is controversial or not (?), but imo Nurse Joy's best design has to be in BW. I don't dislike any of the other verisons of the uniform, but BW's version of it soo cute and charming. Galar gets very close with the hair and the historical clothes, but Unova still wins this one for me. And I get that the XY version is not that different, but I still prefer Unova lol.

As for Officer Jenny's designs, XY wins by a long shot. Never really liked any of the others versions of Jenny lol.

Not sure if this is controversal since Ash's pity badges have been discussed ample times, but...

Why do fans of the show try to say that Ash's badge from the 8th gym is a pity badge?? He defeated Team Rocket fair and square and they refused to give him the badge. Isn't it against the rules to deny a trainer a badge after he/she won fair and square? Yes Team Rocket weren't the official gym leaders, but don’t gym leaders have substitutes when the official gym leaders leave for some time?

Clemont had his clembot be the substitute and Brock had his younger brother or parents fill in for him when he left.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is controversal since Ash's pity badges have been discussed ample times, but...

Why do fans of the show try to say that Ash's badge from the 8th gym is a pity badge?? He defeated Team Rocket fair and square and they refused to give him the badge. Isn't it against the rules to deny a trainer a badge after he/she won fair and square? Yes Team Rocket weren't the official gym leaders, but don’t gym leaders have substitutes when the official gym leaders leave for some time?

Clemont had his clembot be the substitute and Brock had his younger brother or parents fill in for him when he left.
If I were to make a guess on to why Gym 8 is considered a pity badge by some, it might be because Team Rocket aren't generally considered a real challenge, seeing how Ash and his friends kick their butts on a regular basis. This is even reflected in how whenever win/loss ratios of main character Pokemon are discussed, wins against Team Rocket are almost always disregarded.

Granted, whether those parameters would even apply to this particular battle is highly questionable, since Team Rocket were using Giovanni's Pokemon, had a stage that injured challengers (something that imo would count as outright cheating), and later on in the battle tried to sick multiple Pokemon on Ash's at once.

If I were to make a guess on to why Gym 8 is considered a pity badge by some, it might be because Team Rocket aren't generally considered a real challenge, seeing how Ash and his friends kick their butts on a regular basis. This is even reflected in how whenever win/loss ratios of main character Pokemon are discussed, wins against Team Rocket are almost always disregarded.

Granted, whether those parameters would even apply to this particular battle is highly questionable, since Team Rocket were using Giovanni's Pokemon, had a stage that injured challengers (something that imo would count as outright cheating), and later on in the battle tried to sick multiple Pokemon on Ash's at once.
If anything, Ash winning against them even through all this foul play is something that should be used as praise to him, not mockery.

True, but those weren’t Team Rocket’s Pokémon that Ash battled & defeated. They were Giovanni’s. The fact that Team Rocket used Giovanni’s Pokémon all at once against Ash, to me, made Ash’s challenge against them much more difficult that it usually is. They used all those tactics to ensure Ash wouldn’t win, but he still won. I think Ash won fair and square.

Now it wasn’t Ash’s fault that Giovanni had to leave his gym on such short notice due to Mewtwo going berserk.

True, but those weren’t Team Rocket’s Pokémon that Ash battled & defeated. They were Giovanni’s. The fact that Team Rocket used Giovanni’s Pokémon all at once against Ash, to me, made Ash’s challenge against them much more difficult that it usually is. They used all those tactics to ensure Ash wouldn’t win, but he still won. I think Ash won fair and square.
...I know, I said exactly that XD

Back
Top Bottom