• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Replace Lycanroc with Torracat. It’s arc suffered a lot and it was literally the only Pokemon to never participate in a grand trial. Excluding Meltan and Poipole for obvious reasons.
I don't think Rowlet was directly responsible for that, though. I'd actually pin the blame more on Pikachu. The reason I think Lycanroc is the one Rowlet stole glory from is because the poor doggo was made into the fall guy in the match against Kukui solely so they could glorify the lazy owl and his stupid Feather Dance Ex Machina antics.

The reason I think Lycanroc is the one Rowlet stole glory from is because the poor doggo was made into the fall guy in the match against Kukui solely so they could glorify the lazy owl and his stupid Feather Dance Ex Machina antics.
You know, I wondered at the time if Lycanroc lost against Kukui because being the last mon standing when Ash won a league was going to win them so much glory they were the "safe" pick for the designated fall guy, like how Charizard struck out against Brandon because unlike the other Kanto starters he already had a good win in the Battle Frontier.

I don't think Rowlet was directly responsible for that, though. I'd actually pin the blame more on Pikachu. The reason I think Lycanroc is the one Rowlet stole glory from is because the poor doggo was made into the fall guy in the match against Kukui solely so they could glorify the lazy owl and his stupid Feather Dance Ex Machina antics.
You know, I wondered at the time if Lycanroc lost against Kukui because being the last mon standing when Ash won a league was going to win them so much glory they were the "safe" pick for the designated fall guy, like how Charizard struck out against Brandon because unlike the other Kanto starters he already had a good win in the Battle Frontier.
My theory is the same as Daren's. Rowlet, on the other hand, didn't deserve the attention it got. IIRC, even when it fell to Kukui's Venusaur, they explicitly spent several seconds to displaying Ash's friends' reactions to it losing. Someone really should make a detailed essay to Entity Mays and Lumiose Trainer Zac about why Rowlet is not the "God" they claim it to be.

Technically Rowlet also had an impressive win under his belt too what with him being the first (and so far only) Pokemon to defeat BOTH of his evolved forms. It also feels unfair that Lycanroc had to walk away with only one win in the whole League while the slothful incompetent bumbler gets two, and one of which was against a Pokemon that had the type advantage against him to boot. Maybe I'd feel a bit less miffed about it if Lycanroc had at least one more League win under his belt (personally I would have had Ash use Lycanroc in the preliminary free-for-all round instead of Pikachu, since the mouse was going to get wins against Guzma and Tapu Koko anyway), but the circumstances surrounding Rowlet's performance in the League means I'd still be pretty angry about the kill-steal.

The reason I think Lycanroc is the one Rowlet stole glory from is because the poor doggo was made into the fall guy in the match against Kukui solely so they could glorify the lazy owl and his stupid Feather Dance Ex Machina antics.
Lycanroc at least went down swinging against Kukui’s two main pokemon with stablished power, so there’s that.

I personally don’t mind Rowlet’s win against Braviary because of how Venusaur utterly trounced him after. Right as your blood starts boiling from another bullshit death dodge, Venusaur straight up spits on Rowlet’s face and pimp slaps the daylights out of him for good measure.

Lycanroc at least went down swinging against Kukui’s two main pokemon with stablished power, so there’s that.

I personally don’t mind Rowlet’s win against Braviary because of how Venusaur utterly trounced him after. Right as your blood starts boiling from another bullshit death dodge, Venusaur straight up spits on Rowlet’s face and pimp slaps the daylights out of him for good measure.
Yeah I agree that Venusaur slicing through Rowlet's Plot Armor like a hot knife through butter was immensely satisfying, but it would have been even more satisfying if the episode hadn't dedicated several minutes to trying to rub in how "awesome" and "unique" Rowlet's use of Feather Dance is. And I still would have liked my precious rock doggo to get more than just one win.

The sad thing is that on paper I don't actually mind Rowlet being portrayed as powerful all that much. It's the execution where the problem really lies. Heck, we actually have two examples of basic stage Pokemon owned by Ash that are goofy and powerful but done right: Totodile and Gible. If either of those two had been on Rowlet's place I would have absolutely zero complaints.

Rowlet is best GOD
No he isn't. Rowlet's not good enough to be a jester, let alone a deity. I don't know who decided to give the title of "god" to one of the least deserving characters in existence, but let's just say I have some strong choice words for them.

It did annoy me that Lycanroc was the fall guy, in favor of Rowlet getting the win over Braviary...All for that tennis match gag with that annoying everstone. I still think its stupid that Rowlet needed that everstone to even use Seed Bomb.
Lycanroc won the Alola Leauge and that's why he was the fall guy. He already had a major victory.

No he isn't. Rowlet's not good enough to be a jester, let alone a deity. I don't know who decided to give the title of "god" to one of the least deserving characters in existence, but let's just say I have some strong choice words for them.
I believe it was the Pokémon anime reviewer Entity Mays on YouTube. He and his reviewer friends Lumiose Trainer Zac and PokeRaf also use this (undeserved) nickname.
It did annoy me that Lycanroc was the fall guy, in favor of Rowlet getting the win over Braviary...All for that tennis match gag with that annoying everstone. I still think its stupid that Rowlet needed that everstone to even use Seed Bomb.
The whole Everstone in and of itself was like a big "Screw you" to everyone who wanted Rowlet to evolve.

Honestly, I didn't really think that Rowlet took any glory away from Lycanroc. Lycanroc won the Alola League for Ash. Putting aside my issues with the Alola League on the side for the moment, that was more memorable than anything Rowlet did during the Professor Kukui battle. I also still don't think that Torracat was handled that badly either. I think it was handled better than Rowlet was during SM as a whole, even though it really should have gotten a proper battle as an Incineroar. Not being used in a Grand Trial was a bit disappointing, but I don't think it would have worked in any of them.

Rowlet needing the Everstone to use Seed Bomb was weird, but it was basically a way to tell the audience that Rowlet wasn't going to evolve, which I was fine with to be honest. As cool as it would have been for Ash to get a Decidueye, Rowlet spent far too much time in SM being a gag Pokemon to make evolving into even a Dartrix believable. They already were kind of rushing to make Rowlet more powerful to be useful in the Alola League, so I think that would have been worse if they were also trying to get it to evolve.

The one thing that bugs me about the everstobe thing is that it seems to be a call back to the trumbeak. You know, the one who instead of using seeds for a move called bullet seeds used rocks. Cause trumbeak eat rocks to help digest food, so they substitute something they always have on them.

Except that’s really really dumb.
One: rocks do not equal seeds. More importantly, it feels like a weird way of trying to justify Pokémon with science when these same creatures partially transfigure parts of their bodies into metal. It’s an unnecessary justification at best, and it sticks out like a sore thumb in a world with time travel, magic, and psychics.
Two: if you’re gonna focus on the science, how are they able to spit back up the rocks in the first place? Pretty sure birds lack a gag reflex, and can’tvomit or spit something up.
Three: trumbeak can use rock blast. All those justifications for how they can use bulletseed for much better for a ROCK TYPE MOVE THAN A GRASS TYPE MOVE. If you really needed to justify the move with science, say that the beak has mini pockets for storage or an organ that stores seeds, or that some of the juice from the fruit they just ate sticks to the beak.

Also, before anyone goes, Treecko used watermelon seeds to learn bullet seed, remember that treecko hadn’t learned grass type moves yet, it was an attempt by ash to help teach treecko how to use the move when ash can’t use moves himself, and made more sense that using rocks to use a grass type move.

For a more controversial opinion, Pokémon isn’t using its fantasy kitchen sink enough. Where are the robots and shrink rays and petrifaction beams? Where is the psychic powers and the aura? Where’s the magic spells that turn people into Pokémon?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom