• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

The Honour of Kalos is obviously something that would stick since it’s something he could actually take home. The kalos crisis got recognised for 3 episodes and then forgotten.
They still got medals. And I doubt it would've lasted that long if the medal's name was different. Especially as I see the medals they got being references to the Honor of Kalos.

They could’ve prevented the entire Kalos debacle by having team Flare interrupt the match and then execute their plan. There ends up being no champion and Ash is given the honour of Kalos.

Hm. Interesting take on that. Can we elaborate on that, actually? What WOULD be the fandom's reaction if something like that were to happen? I doubt people would be as salty and claim that Ash was "robbed" but I don't think they would just begrudgingly move on either. And would it affect the ratings of the anime by any chance? Or heck, wouldn't it be even MORE disappointing of an outcome if that were to happen: all this hype for a league finish and we don't even GET one. Though, "honor of Kalos" is an interesting idea: maybe he gets a title of "honorary Champion"?

Hm. Interesting take on that. Can we elaborate on that, actually? What WOULD be the fandom's reaction if something like that were to happen? I doubt people would be as salty and claim that Ash was "robbed" but I don't think they would just begrudgingly move on either.
We can really only guess, but I think it would depend on how the match was going; if it looked like Ash was going to win but the interruption stopped it I think it would be more subdued; people could more easily argue his miniarc has meaning if he did surpass Alain but they weren't able/willing to give him a league win and cut it off. There'd still be some, but less. I can think of a comparsion but it's very spoilery for a different series:
There was some controversy over Katara defeating Azula instead of Zuko, but they made clear Zuko could have won and Zuko's improvement arc still bore fruit.

And would it affect the ratings of the anime by any chance?
Do we know for sure if the actual controversy caused a ratings drop? I know some people pointed to Nintendo having a stock drop right after but I always thought that was a coincidence. It seems to have mostly been a major blow for the show's reputation rather than it's profitability.

Do we know for sure if the actual controversy caused a ratings drop? I know some people pointed to Nintendo having a stock drop right after but I always thought that was a coincidence. It seems to have mostly been a major blow for the show's reputation rather than it's profitability.

Average ratings for Lumiose Conference (XY125-XY131): 2.56

Average ratings for Flare Arc (XY132-XY136): 3.34

Average ratings for Pokemon SM before timeslot change (SM001-SM090): 3.59

Average ratings for Pokemon SM after timeslot change (SM091-SM146): ~2.06 (Ratings for SM137-SM145 unavailable)

We all know the real reason for ratings dropping, and it's got nothing to do with Ash losing the Kalos League...

Average ratings for Lumiose Conference (XY125-XY131): 2.56

Average ratings for Flare Arc (XY132-XY136): 3.34

Average ratings for Pokemon SM before timeslot change (SM001-SM090): 3.59

Average ratings for Pokemon SM after timeslot change (SM091-SM146): ~2.06 (Ratings for SM137-SM145 unavailable)

We all know the real reason for ratings dropping, and it's got nothing to do with Ash losing the Kalos League...
Thanks for the data!

I am...a bit surprised by the ratings going up that much during the Flare crisis. I guess the positive buzz around it worked better than I realized.

This feels pretty much like XY, SM. Less loses, easy fights. I maen come on, during XY and SM he lost maybe 8 times? In JN twice, I repeat twice if you count vs Leon and Bea and he is in place 184.

This feels pretty much like XY, SM. Less loses, easy fights. I maen come on, during XY and SM he lost maybe 8 times? In JN twice, I repeat twice if you count vs Leon and Bea and he is in place 184.

If you're counting losses, don't forget the two barely onscreen losses for Ash in JN036 :cautious:

Ash's record in Journeys is about 9-5-1 I think. His wins came from Visquez, Kricketina, the Meganium, the Electabuzz, that Clawitzer, Korrina, Chairman Rose, that Gurdurr, and Rinto. His losses come from Bea, Champion Leon, Rinto, then those two losses in that horrible episode JN036. Then he has one draw against Bea.

This is so something a bit more ''meta'': I don't mind dubbed anime. It's not just about Pokemon, but others as well. I genuinely don't mind it. I actually prefer the dub, because I can understand what they are saying right away. I do agree the dub can take some good stuff out however, like the music for example.

I haven't really seen this one in the Pokemon fandom, but the way others believe firmly that they are better than other people because they watch the original/japanese version is so... ??? Like,,, good for you I guess? I swear you are not special.

This is so something a bit more ''meta'': I don't mind dubbed anime. It's not just about Pokemon, but others as well. I genuinely don't mind it. I actually prefer the dub, because I can understand what they are saying right away. I do agree the dub can take some good stuff out however, like the music for example.

I haven't really seen this one in the Pokemon fandom, but the way others believe firmly that they are better than other people because they watch the original/japanese version is so... ??? Like,,, good for you I guess? I swear you are not special.
With Pokémon, the dub's quality has downgraded for me over time. Mainly because of the dub music.

With Pokémon, the dub's quality has downgraded for me over time. Mainly because of the dub music.
Oh, I agree in that. The music is not awful, but it's a severe downgrade from the og composition. But the voice acting is not bad. There's the occasional hiccup here and there *cofbutchcof*, but it's actually pretty well done and enjoyable.

To tell the truth I used to hear it a lot during the late 2000s, especially with Naruto when it was at its peak. Even though I preferred the Japanese version, I was one of the few to always say that the dub was not as bad as everyone was saying it was.

Nowadays I see it doesn't happen as often, or as extreme, as back then.

IMO what is better is always so subjective. People'll watch whatever in the language they're used to. I was used to watch Naruto dubbed at first, but then got accostumed to the original and the dub just didn't sound the same anymore. Same with Pokemon.

Last edited:
I grew up with the dub too, but I actually like both the dub and sub about equally. I've never really thought one was objectively better than the other, they each have their pros and cons so it really just depends on what I feel like watching that day. It's the same for a lot of anime, I think it's just all about preference.

I do agree though that the dub music can be a downgrade at times. My biggest pet peeve is when they put in music where there wasn't any before, and it totally throws off the mood of what was originally a quiet moment...

I can't blame you for saying this. I feel the same way myself. It's like the dub can't handle a moment without music.

I've been watching the show subbed since Diamond and Pearl but I've been watching all of the Advanced episodes that I previously missed. I gotta say, I really miss the old dub cast. I could never get use to the new one (though admittedly I did prefer Brock's 2nd voice.) Also yes, the absolute biggest pet peeve I have with the dub besides cultural censorship that borderlines on xenophobic is the awful music that they use. Shinji Miyazaki's score never should've been replaced.

I actually like Goh's character development. I can understand the complaints about it and I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I think it generally works, especially with showing him becoming more empathetic towards his Pokemon. That's a big reason why I think the Sobble capture episode worked. He was able to recognize that he didn't factor in Sobble's feelings and apologized to it after they had saved it, something that he wasn't able to properly do with Raboot.

Back
Top Bottom