• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

That's not exactly just XY, though. Pokémopolis even had running jokes about him randomly turning into "action hero Ash". Things like jumping into the TRio's balloon, trying to punch Mewtwo in the face, I sort of recall him trying to jump a cliff in DP at one point...

This is true. Start of AG he threw himself off a cliff, too. They make the boy very reckless when Pikachu is involved.

I think he was very ambitious in his ideas but restrained by the nature of a weekly TV show. I believe he said that he wanted to get rid of stock animation but it couldn't be afforded, for instance.
I haven't seen any of the reboot films (actually 8 was the last one I saw at all) but an AU film would have significantly fewer of those sorts of issues.

I do remember this. Unfortunately, Pokemon being on TV pretty much all the time makes no stock animation incredibly labour intensive and, as a result, just not feasible. Movies have a totally different timetable and work force behind them so they can make them look great. Helps that The Power of Us had Studio Mappa working on it as well.

ACK! I LOVE The Power of Us too! It's my favorite movie, with interesting world-building, an interesting cast, an interesting premise, actual developed characters(which is a rarity in the movies), and giving Ash and Pikachu an interesting role by putting them in the backseat(for the most part). Ash does have the hero archetype in this movie as well, but I feel like this version is more lively than XY Ash without feeling too forced, which is why he struck out as interesting here. Plus, the fact that they did such a good "show not tell" of Ash and Pikachu's relationship was squeal-inducing for me. The introduction of every character was just perfect and really showed off their personalities...and their roles are well-established in the film by not forcing them together through some contrived plot! Everything was a domino effect in this movie, every character and incident having an impact on another which led to the climax of the movie and the climax of every character's growth.

My favourite aspect of it was the diversity of characters on the cast. You got the young kid and the school age girl, but also a middle-aged man and an old lady. It really sold me on the idea that everyone, no matter how old or what their background is, can benefit from their relationships with Pokemon. That it managed to develop every character sufficiently and then tie everything together at the end was really impressive.

They make the boy very reckless when Pikachu is involved.
Huh.

Start of OS: Ready to sacrifice his life for Pikachu
Start of AG: Jumps off cliff for Pikachu
Start of DP: Climbs very dangerous robot for Pikachu
Start of BW: Tries to calm Pikachu down when the latter is an extreme pain and is unintentionally hurting Ash as well
Start of XY: Jumps off tower for Pikachu
Start of SM: (Or rather, significantly later on I think) Jumps off cliff to save Pikachu

Intriguing.

So, you're telling me each series start like this?
Well, not exactly. OS, AG, DP, and XY have very explicit instances of Ash directly putting himself in danger to save Pikachu while in BW and SM it's either indirect(BW) or is barely addressed or shown(SM). JN is the only exception so far.

Last edited:
Ok, another controversial opinion:
I consider that Part of the XY's "hate" (which is not hate, is criticism) is deserved after seeing how Part of the XY's fans acted in a so toxic way during the XY days with episodes like the Ash and Serena's"dance" episode and the Kalos League finale, and also after XY ended with the start of SM and how some of them acted like if SM was the worst thing ever made with some of those comments still being present, without giving SM a chance.

Now two things to note:
  • In both sentence, I used the word "Part", so it is not a generalization about the XY "hate" or the XY fans
  • Still a very decent amount of the XY criticism is because during a lot of time, you cannot comment any negative thing about the series because you already had plenty of criticism about what do you think about the series. When the series ended, people started to note XY flaws and because of that the amount of criticism increased considerably too.

• Misty was a pseudo-Karen.
  • Pikachu is actually really immature (we just don't notice as much since most of Ash's other Pokemon tend to be even bigger buffoons).
  • Those Ursaring that menace the cast every now and then deserve the whooping of a thousand years. Real bears at least HAVE a survival-related excuse for being aggressive, but given that Pokemon have human-like intelligence and morals the Ursaring come across as territorial bullies badly in need of anger management therapy.
  • Ash isn't that dumb, you may notice how all his supposed "stupid moments" are played for comedic effect but then in serious situations, he's very competent. Also, I don't think he is leaving the show nor do I want him to, I'd rather he take upon a mentor role for the next protagonist and then gradually slip out of the spotlight rather than having a big send off party for him.
  • Brock should have been gone after Johto and Mudkip should have gone to Max. Also, he was borderline predatory towards women.
  • I love Goh and don't think he's a bad person at all. He shows more empathy than a lot of kids his age would.
  • Chloe's attitude in the first season wasn't cute (in fairness, the writers seem to have realized she looked a bit unsympathetic and now it seems they have toned her down a bit).

Those Ursaring that menace the cast every now and then deserve the whooping of a thousand years. Real bears at least HAVE a survival-related excuse for being aggressive, but given that Pokemon have human-like intelligence and morals the Ursaring come across as territorial bullies badly in need of anger management therapy.
Well, that depends on the writer... and the medium... and even then it's not really consistent.

• Pikachu is actually really immature (we just don't notice as much since most of Ash's other Pokemon tend to be even bigger buffoons).
I don't think anyone really suggests otherwise, honestly. Pikachu basically just sort of speaks to the younger kids of the audience, in my opinion. Childish, displays of immaturity, but can be responsible when called for and tends to take on a bit of a "leader" role...the childish persona and immaturity make Pikachu relatable to the little kiddies, but it's balanced with his ability to take on a responsible role should the situation call for it. See the episode, Steamboat Willies, which sums up Pikachu perfectly. What's going to happen when you leave your immature but responsible child alone with another immature child to take care of a bunch of other kids? Disaster, that's what. Pikachu is a leader and responsible, yes, but still emotionally and mentally immature(Seriously, DP tho is the biggest example of this).

The Farfechted vs Gallade battle in JN060 was paced really weird. Much blabla, not much battling.
I didnt like this battle at all.

I'm not really sure that's a controversial opinion, I've seen a lot of people say that, but those same peoples are still liked the battle and animation.

Back
Top Bottom