• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Man , I wil never get that orange shuriken.

Like, where the hell did that shit even even came from? It literally showed up out of nowhere, and no one ever questioned it? And never showed up again.

At least I think that if Ash did won the league they would've explained what that was, maybe even through Zygarde (?), but oh well.

I seem to remember a (probably) badly translated Tweet years ago from Yajima mentioning that Greninja's last move against Charizard was meant to be a "boiling shuriken" and show just how far Ash and Greninja have come with their power.

Here’s one to deviate from the Kalos League talk: I hate the Jigglypuff that sings people to sleep with a passion. Why does it appear.
It was basically just an easy-to-write gag that the writers injected into episodes to help fill up the runtime. But yeah, its appearances almost never served any real meaning, adding nothing to the episode before disappearing again. Easy to see why Suede hates it so much.
I think the writers also got tired of it, considering it disappeared for years, with its last appearance before that being more or less used to explain the Soundproof ability.
I think SM was used to wrap up Jigglypuff's arc, with it finally getting a taste of its own medicine. Sweet catharsis was felt when Komala drew on its sleeping face.

BW Ash isn’t the worst version of Ash’s character...AG Ash is. In Advanced, Ash was acting more arrogant than he usually is. Sure you may say OG Ash did the same thing, but OG Ash was a rookie trainer who had to deal with being belittled by almost everyone he came across (even Misty and Brock, but people are too blinded by nostalgia to see it). Therefore, it made sense that OG Ash acted like that.

With AG Ash, nobody bullied him nor gave him a hard time for making mistakes as a trainer, so he had no reason to be as bratty and self centered as he was in AG. Him getting angry with May in one episode for taking her time to get ready cemented how self centered he was.

While BW Ash was more idiotic than he usually was, he was still at least a good trainer and had the skills to back it up. He also wasn’t as bratty and arrogant as he used to be, which is why I always though BW Ash was still likable.

Last edited:
Didn't they had done that in one of the episode of AG?
Jigglypuff's one appearance in AG was basically to finally give it someone who could listen to its song: a Pokémon with Soundproof. But it wasn't really any sort of comeuppance.
BW Ash isn’t the worst version of Ash’s character...AG Ash is. In Advanced, Ash was acting more arrogant than he usually is. Sure you may say OG Ash did the same thing, but OG Ash was a rookie trainer who had to deal with being belittled by almost everyone he came across (even Misty and Brock, but people are too blinded by nostalgia to see it). Therefore, it made sense that OG Ash acted like that.

With AG Ash, nobody bullied him nor gave him a hard time for making mistakes as a trainer, so he had no reason to be as bratty and self centered as he was in AG. Him getting angry with May in one episode for taking her time to get ready cemented how self centered he was.

While BW Ash was more idiotic than he usually was, he was still at least a good trainer and had the skills to back it up. He also wasn’t as bratty and arrogant as he used to be, which is why I always though BW Ash was still likable.
I can see that. While I personally think that BW Ash is worse, AG Ash is definitely up there too. Him basically being the mentor of the group kinda got to his head and made him ignore advice from others. The good thing is this attitude, as annoying as it may have been, still made sense and evolved into his more acceptant DP attitude in a natural way, whereas Ash suddenly getting dumb in BW hardly makes sense to me.

I can see that. While I personally think that BW Ash is worse, AG Ash is definitely up there too. Him basically being the mentor of the group kinda got to his head and made him ignore advice from others. The good thing is this attitude, as annoying as it may have been, still made sense and evolved into his more acceptant DP attitude in a natural way, whereas Ash suddenly getting dumb in BW hardly makes sense to me.

Care to explain why BW Ash was worse?

One reason I already mentioned at the end. Besides that, BW Ash forgot his previous experience, while AG Ash didn't.

That’s understandable. I don’t understand why fans are so fixated on Ash when he’s bratty. In fact that is when I find Ash annoying. I do agree that BW Ash is the worst when it comes to inconsistency and bad writing, but BW Ash trumps AG & OS Ash personality wise at least.

I don’t understand why fans are so fixated on Ash when he’s bratty.
Character flaws make him a more interesting character instead of just a marketing vehicle, and I think one of the stronger elements of OS and AG was seeing the way he gradually grows and improves in more than just battling. For instance, I can't see OS Ash not flipping out when Max grabbed the badge and ran for it after he defeated Norman, but in AG he was able to stay calm and deal with the situation delicately.

Mind elaborating that?
It wasn’t really a flashy battle and Pikachu beating Tapu Koko kinda felt DEM. I didn’t like it being a gag for the Rowlet part. I only like the Torracat battle. I still think it’s a good battle and it’s the best battle of SM by a long shot but calling it the best battle ever is a stretch. But it may just be my anti SM bias

Pikachu beating Tapu Koko kinda felt DEM
Don't get me wrong, I get your other points, but I wouldn't call the Pikachu vs Tapu Koko battle a Dues Ex Machina. Especially considering how their battle was built up since episode one and despite the Z-moves sometimes being used as plot devices, in this case it wasn't unexpected. Pikashunium-Z had its problems, yes, but in this battle it wasn't a Dues Ex Machina.

Back
Top Bottom