• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

It wasn’t really a flashy battle and Pikachu beating Tapu Koko kinda felt DEM. I didn’t like it being a gag for the Rowlet part. I only like the Torracat battle. I still think it’s a good battle and it’s the best battle of SM by a long shot but calling it the best battle ever is a stretch. But it may just be my anti SM bias
Don't get me wrong, I get your other points, but I wouldn't call the Pikachu vs Tapu Koko battle a Dues Ex Machina. Especially considering how their battle was built up since episode one and despite the Z-moves sometimes being used as plot devices, in this case it wasn't unexpected. Pikashunium-Z had its problems, yes, but in this battle it wasn't a Dues Ex Machina.
In addition, Ash and Kukui's battle itself had been built up since episode 2 of Sun and Moon, as had Ash and Kukui's relationship, and... Actually, this video analyses the battle much better than I could.

I never understand how people can complain about Pikashinium-Z as a "DEM" but the same people never complained about Ash-Greninja,
Well, to be fair, the latter is definitely better written. However, people use the term Dues Ex Machina incorrectly, because both plot devices were first used as a Dues Ex Machina-they just never point out Ash-Greninja's. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If I could learn the full truth behind one Pokémon anime detail it would definitely be this.
I hope someone on the XY staff eventually talks about it like Shudo did.
I don't understand why said higher-ups equate Ash winning a regional championship to him achieving his poorly described goal of being a Pokémon Master, which is apparently a no-no. Its lack of detail aside, one thing we do know is that winning a regional championship does not fulfill the dream - Ash never goes into a conference expecting to realize his dream and essentially stop travelling/interacting with Pokémon/battling/etc. by winning a tournament. Just look how the Alola League was handled and the creation of Journeys now, for an example. As the narrator always says, "the adventure continues."

On a meta-level, their logic would be as if people stopped buying subsequent Pokémon games due to becoming the Champion of their current one - never mind the new region, Pokémon, characters, and aspects to be had. But people don't.

Giving your characters notable victories does not prevent them from growing or being developed further.

I never understand how people can complain about Pikashinium-Z as a "DEM" but the same people never complained about Ash-Greninja,
The difference is, Pikashinium-Z was a finishing move and Ash-Greninja was basically a stat boost. The former ended the battle with Tapu Koko, and the latter still required Greninja to battle. Even then, Greninja was fighting against Mega Evolved Pokemon who had a power boost as well, so it balanced out.

The difference is, Pikashinium-Z was a finishing move and Ash-Greninja was basically a stat boost. The former ended the battle with Tapu Koko, and the latter still required Greninja to battle. Even then, Greninja was fighting against Mega Evolved Pokemon who had a power boost as well, so it balanced out.
Just going to point out that numerous people have already explained how Pikashinium-Z is a DEM while nobody has ever pointed out the first instance of Ash-Greninja being a DEM. (Actually, what, lol? Are we talking about final battles or just in general? I'm so lost... :bulbaFacepalm:)

Well, to be fair, the latter is definitely better written. However, people use the term Dues Ex Machine incorrectly, because both plot devices were first used as a Dues Ex Machina-they just never point out Ash-Greninja's. :rolleyes:
At the time I believe DEM accusations were being directed at Ash-Greninja; it might be getting a bit of a pass now since it failed in the league.

1. We actually have an explanation for why Ash-Greninja occurs, unlike Pikashunium Z which conveniently pops up whenever it’s trainer is in a hard spot.
2. Ash needed to EARN Battle Bond. He actually had to work to perfect the form. Pikashunium Z is a out of the box finisher move which comes out of nowhere. He also faces a physical consequence for using Battle Bond as he gets hurt when Greninja does. The point is, the form needed investment and had consequences and was less than perfect to defeat every opponent.
3. The Pikachu vs Mimikyu is one of the worst written battle imo, thanks to this plot device. Greninja has lost even with Ash-Greninja, whereas Pikachu was given nothing but wins.

I'm pretty sure Tapu-Koko also used it's own Z-Move, so it's still balanced out like Greninja did.

Johto is widely known as the region of endless filler, but I feel they missed one great filler opportunity. At the end of Hocus Pokémon, Ash is transformed into a Pikachu, and starts actually liking it when he learns it's only temporary. This was an interesting premise, which easily could've been used to base an entire episode around. But nope. Within the first 15 seconds of the very next episode, Ash already changes back. Why on Earth didn't they dedicate at least one whole episode to this premise? At best, we could've even gotten a small filler arc of Ashachu, but instead, we only get less than two total minutes of it. A perfect storytelling opportunity, and nothing is done with it.

Johto is widely known as the region of endless filler, but I feel they missed one great filler opportunity. At the end of Hocus Pokémon, Ash is transformed into a Pikachu, and starts actually liking it when he learns it's only temporary. This was an interesting premise, which easily could've been used to base an entire episode around. But nope. Within the first 15 seconds of the very next episode, Ash already changes back. Why on Earth didn't they dedicate at least one whole episode to this premise? At best, we could've even gotten a small filler arc of Ashachu, but instead, we only get less than two total minutes of it. A perfect storytelling opportunity, and nothing is done with it.

Then what are they gonna do with it? Teleport Ash into another world where humans none existant but filled with Pokemons? Oh wait-

Last edited:
That was one of the weirdest scenes in the original series, and briefly carrying it over to the next episode made it weirder.
No wonder it became so popular in the fandom.

Then what are they gonna do with it? Teleport Ash into another world where humans none existant but filled with Pokemons? Oh wait-
I wonder if that scene partly inspired the MD games to star human-turned Pokémon instead of just a regular Pokémon.

Honestly my best guess for the Pikashunium-Z phenomenon is that the Z power ring+electrium Z Ash was given by Tapu Koko were imbued with some of its power. Since Tapu Koko is the electric deity, it could explain why it only affects electric moves/crystals. We also know that the Tapus can create more Z power as well.

These ‘special’ properties of the Z power ring might allow it to temporarily ‘upgrade’ electric type Z moves. Because it only uses a fraction if its power the transformation is only temporary (maybe because the excess z power gets used up after the move and needs to recharge?). Since z-moves require a strong bond between a trainer and pokemon to activate, this transformation can only occur in the heat of an intense battle; when both Ash and Pikachu are in sync (like during the Lusamine crisis, against Tapu Koko or even when they’re losing against TR’s mimikyu). Ash’s Pikachu is also said to be much stronger than ordinary ones, so maybe that allows it to actually use this stronger z move.

I’ll admit this is basically my headcanon but hopefully it makes sense.

Because it only uses a fraction if its power the transformation is only temporary (maybe because the excess z power gets used up after the move and needs to recharge?).
Funny thing I've noticed about Pikashunium Z is that in the last Sun & Moon episode we see it (after the Tapu-Koko battle) and in the second Journeys episode, the Z crystal still stays that way.

Funny thing I've noticed about Pikashunium Z is that in the last Sun & Moon episode we see it (after the Tapu-Koko battle) and in the second Journeys episode, the Z crystal still stays that way.
Ah yeah that’s right. Maybe the repeated usage changed it permanently? I’m just spitballing here haha.

Btw welcome to the forums!

Back
Top Bottom