• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Since we're still kinda on the topic of XY, am I the only one who actually liked the XY movies? I especially liked Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. I mean, I wouldn't say they're the best movies-because they're far from it-but I DO feel as if they're kind of underrated.
I with you here I liked all of the XY movies

Character flaws make him a more interesting character instead of just a marketing vehicle, and I think one of the stronger elements of OS and AG was seeing the way he gradually grows and improves in more than just battling. For instance, I can't see OS Ash not flipping out when Max grabbed the badge and ran for it after he defeated Norman, but in AG he was able to stay calm and deal with the situation delicately.

I forgot to mention that I always found it annoying how fans are okay with Ash having flaws as a character, but Arceus forbid any of his female companions have flaws.

Could you elaborate on that?

I want to talk about Misty and Iris, but that subject has been completely overdone in this forum. Let me just say that I’ve never seen fans wish death on Ash for being a brat like how they have done to Misty and Iris and I’ll leave it at that.

Plus I don’t want this thread being locked again because the topic of Ash’s female companions is a very delicate one and it causes hurt feelings.

Last edited:
Lysander is the most overrated villain in the entire anime. Actually, all of the villains pale compared to the likes of this one antagonist. Compared to this one antagonist, their motives are weak, they have no personality, are cookie-cutter villains, they're only threats when the plot demands it, are inconsistent, and they hardly affect the main characters in any way, shape, or form. The obviously best villain in the anime is this one.
Screenshot_20210524-114328_Chrome.jpg

Ash vs Kukui is overrated af

I'm inclined to agree. The first episode had terrible pacing so the second episode had to be rushed because of that. Also I see a lot of people complaining about Alain suddenly getting a full team but no complaints about Kukui when he did the same, an offhand comment about they doing research is not enough.

I also question the whole "buildup" thing, since Ash didn't admire Royal Mask that much compared to Cynthia, Diantha, Leon or many of his rivals.

The first episode had terrible pacing
It was setup for later in the battle.
so the second episode had to be rushed because of that.
I didn't feel it was rushed.
I also question the whole "buildup" thing, since Ash didn't admire Royal Mask that much compared to Cynthia, Diantha, Leon or many of his rivals.
It wasn't admiration. It was Ash living together with Kukui and him becoming Ash's father figure.

1. We actually have an explanation for why Ash-Greninja occurs, unlike Pikashunium Z which conveniently pops up whenever it’s trainer is in a hard spot.
2. Ash needed to EARN Battle Bond. He actually had to work to perfect the form. Pikashunium Z is a out of the box finisher move which comes out of nowhere. He also faces a physical consequence for using Battle Bond as he gets hurt when Greninja does. The point is, the form needed investment and had consequences and was less than perfect to defeat every opponent.
3. The Pikachu vs Mimikyu is one of the worst written battle imo, thanks to this plot device. Greninja has lost even with Ash-Greninja, whereas Pikachu was given nothing but wins.

Ash's Greninja explanation is as Bad that is almost irrelevant, and it doesn't even makes sense having an special and unique Bond with Greninja instead of Pikachu.

I'm inclined to agree. The first episode had terrible pacing so the second episode had to be rushed because of that.

If You need a rushed battle, go to Ash vs Sawyer, with 2 double KO because they were lacking of time.

Last edited:
Ash's Greninja is as Bad that is almost irrelevant, and it doesn't even makes sense having an special and unique Bond with Greninja instead of Pikachu.
Um...objection? Ash-Greninja was an ability that belonged to Greninja specifically; Ash just needed to help draw the power out. And Ash already has a strong bond with Pikachu as XY008 has clearly shown: Ash is clearly shown to be more in sync with Pikachu than Greninja.

Um...objection? Ash-Greninja was an ability that belonged to Greninja specifically; Ash just needed to help draw the power out. And Ash already has a strong bond with Pikachu as XY008 has clearly shown: Ash is clearly shown to be more in sync with Pikachu than Greninja.

It was an ability created for the solely purpose to be an Ash thing, similar to Pikashinium Z. But at least for Ash, it makes much more sense having something special with Pikachu than with Greninja.

Ash's Greninja is as Bad that is almost irrelevant, and it doesn't even makes sense having an special and unique Bond with Greninja instead of Pikachu.
Blame the writers on that one. I think there was an specific one that actually suggested Ash-Greninja and they got the OK from GF.

It was an ability created for the solely purpose to be an Ash thing, similar to Pikashinium Z. But at least for Ash, it makes much more sense having something special with Pikachu than with Greninja.
That, and the SM datamine spoiled it waaaay before it appeared. In fact, it was just a question of when it would appear.

Actually, the whole discussion of which is more DEM in regards to Ash-Greninja and Pikashinium-Z is just rendered meaningless considering how the anime has been pulling more DEMs through evolution itself than specific mechanics. Just look at every major evolution throughout the anime, almost all of them happened through a Dues Ex Machina.

I'm inclined to agree. The first episode had terrible pacing so the second episode had to be rushed because of that. Also I see a lot of people complaining about Alain suddenly getting a full team but no complaints about Kukui when he did the same, an offhand comment about they doing research is not enough.

Love your pfp

Speaking of Ash-Greninja, it's a rehash of the Blaze storyline that ultimately comes off as weaker due to XY having less episodes and thus less time to flesh it out.
And in the end, unlike Infernape, the ending didn't smile down towards Greninja's favor since he ended up not only losing to Alain's Charizard but also was released by Ash.

Back
Top Bottom