• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I’m fine with how Ash lost the Kanto League because it allowed development for Charizard
Really? Because it felt like it allowed more development for Ash, not Charizard. Charizard didn't make any significant development until the Orange Islands.

Okay I've got a REAL unpopular opinion here!

Ash x Misty AND Ash x Serena are both good and valid ships and trying to pit the two girls against each other is lame to be quite honest.

NO people. Misty is NOT Abusive towards Ash

NO people. Serena is not a Stalker towards Ash

Both girls are Great. Both share cute moments with Ash. And Both have helped Ash grow and develop

Misty isn't a "B*tch" and Serena isn't "Sexist" for having a crush

For both of them
I guess you can look at it as Charizard cementing its disrespect for Ash, which can be seen as a kind of development (not a positively progressive one, though). Sure, it didn't really listen to him after evolving, but it chose the worst possible moment to really let Ash know that at Indigo League - it will always be one of Charizard's infamous decisions in history. And I think because it did that, it made the respect it did eventually gain for Ash (and the development people more often refer to) all the more meaningful and apparent.

Ash x Misty AND Ash x Serena are both good and valid ships and trying to pit the two girls against each other is lame to be quite honest.

NO people. Misty is NOT Abusive towards Ash

NO people. Serena is not a Stalker towards Ash

Both girls are Great. Both share cute moments with Ash. And Both have helped Ash grow and develop

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! I may not be the biggest Amourshipper or Pokeshipper, but Thank. You. As someone who's really into shipping, people can sometimes get so mean about ships, especially when it comes to women and especially when they're seen as "getting in the way of a ship". I could go on about this, but it makes me so mad. I may not be the biggest Pokeshipper or Amourshipper, but honestly, as long as you're not hurting anyone, be a Pokeshipper, be an Amourshipper, heck, be both or neither!

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! I may not be the biggest Amourshipper or Pokeshipper, but Thank. You. As someone who's really into shipping, people can sometimes get so mean about ships, especially when it comes to women and especially when they're seen as "getting in the way of a ship". I could go on about this, but it makes me so mad. I may not be the biggest Pokeshipper or Amourshipper, but honestly, as long as you're not hurting anyone, be a Pokeshipper, be an Amourshipper, heck, be both or neither!
I think we can all agree on that. This isnt a fight, not who is better

I mean Misty sleept on Ash's house but not in a bed with him so yeah, but I have no idea with Serena "Sexist" thing is coming from, can someone enlightened me about that?

I mean Misty sleept on Ash's house but not in a bed with him so yeah, but I have no idea with Serena "Sexist" thing is coming from, can someone enlightened me about that?
What does that part about Misty mean?

Serena gets called a "Sexist or Misogynistic" archetype by those who think that her character revolves around Ash.
They think she blindly worships Ash and that she apparently does nothing except stand around to look cute.

It also doesn't help that Serena told Fenniken something along the lines of "A Girl's Job is to always be Cute" or something like that I can't remember at the moment.

It's considered "un- feminist" if a woman looks to a man for inspiration or has girly interests.

And God forbid if she *gasp* actually falls in LOVE with a Man!

Female characters must reject Romance and Feminity and be as aggressive and "Strong" as the Men in order to not be considered "Sexist"

Serena is not a "Strong" Female Character according to them so therefore she's "Sexist" and/or "Misogynistic"

Dawn also got similar accusations back in the day

Last edited:
Serena gets called a "Sexist or Misogynistic" archetype by those who think that her character revolves around Ash.

It's considered "un- feminist" if a woman looks to a man for inspiration or has girly interests.

And God forbid if she *gasp* actually falls in LOVE with a Man!

Female characters must reject Feminity and be as aggressive and "Strong" as the Men in order to not be considered "Sexist"

Dawn also got similar accusations back in the day

Wow, that sounds pretty dumb reasons to hate, sure Serena sometimes (from what I've seen) might be act like a yandere but agree with you about these things.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's just me, but I really couldn't enjoy old episodes of the pokemon anime more often than not. For this post, I'm specifically talking about the first few episodes of DP, which feel as if they're dragging on and just feel painful to get through. It's weird, honestly, because as far as I've seen, the pacing IS good...but at the same time, the episodes just feel boring. I find it hard to get past the first few episodes to get to the mid-points of the series-which I know is where things would pick up because I've watched some episodes in the middle and after that I thoroughly enjoyed. But it's just SO HARD to get to that point because the beginning episodes just feel really boring in my opinion.

It's weird, because at the same time, the beginning episodes have a crap ton of important events happening-but I sadly just can't really feel engaged.

Interestingly enough, I don't recall having much of a problem with DP's pacing. Part of that is probably due to just being able to rewatch it at my own pace as opposed to being a weekly series like when it was airing, but I don't remember thinking that the series was too slow or that the first few episodes were dragging things along. I don't think I was instantly hooked on DP either, but the first few episodes were really solid with Dawn's introduction, Ash making his first Sinnoh capture and establishing his rivalry with Paul right away. I still remember Cartoon Network airing all three episodes together when the series first started. This was back when they actually cared about the series too.

This was back when they actually cared about the series too.
I think they care now too. Except for the music department. The dub music these days isn't technically bad, just unfitting.

But yeah. DP was probably the last truly great series for the dub. After that, the music started dragging the quality down. While the voice acting is (mostly) good these days, the music just makes it hard for me to watcht the dub.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really couldn't enjoy old episodes of the pokemon anime more often than not. For this post, I'm specifically talking about the first few episodes of DP, which feel as if they're dragging on and just feel painful to get through. It's weird, honestly, because as far as I've seen, the pacing IS good...but at the same time, the episodes just feel boring. I find it hard to get past the first few episodes to get to the mid-points of the series-which I know is where things would pick up because I've watched some episodes in the middle and after that I thoroughly enjoyed. But it's just SO HARD to get to that point because the beginning episodes just feel really boring in my opinion.

It's weird, because at the same time, the beginning episodes have a crap ton of important events happening-but I sadly just can't really feel engaged.
Honestly, this is a bit of a hang up that I have with DP, even tho it's my fav series. There's not a lot of exciting things that happen in the first season/year. So the episodes do feel like they drag on a bit. But in all honesty, I do think it was for the best.

The big deal is that this first year really took their time to estabilish a lot of stuff. We met Dawn, her motivations and her Piplup within the first episodes (where Ash and Brock pratically didn't showed up), we get out first encounters with Paul, where we learn about him and his methods with Pokémon training how they contrast with Ash's and the ignition of their rivalry, we meet Hunter J and she's estabilished as a major future threat, we also meet Kenny, Nando and Zoey, the latter who would become Dawn's endgame rival and would help fuel her journey, we get the first glimpses of Brock wanting to change his career, Ash gets 3 Pokémon and 2 badges, Chimchar's/Infernape's arc starts, etc. I mean, really: a lot happens in the first season.

Stuff wouldn't have picked up later if they rushed through so much.

And the thing that really puts DP at least 10 steps ahead of pratically every other series, be past or future, imo, is that the writers took their time to plant the seeds for the show. Even tho they did quite a lot, none of that feels rushed. Everything gets really well estabilished and with strong, sturdy roots. They sowed the ground and had an extremely fruitful harvest. And we saw how amazing that was.

I think they care now too. Except for the music department. The dub music these days isn't technically bad, just unfitting.

But yeah. DP was probably the last truly great series for the dub. After that, the music started dragging the quality down. While the voice acting is (mostly) good these days, the music just makes it hard for me to watcht the dub.

I was referring to Cartoon Network, not TPCI. They promoted the premiere of DP, aired the first three episodes together and even had at least the last few episodes of the Tag Battle arc air on prime time. After that season, I think that they slowly start to lose interest in the series, although I don't think it became more apparent until around BW's run. The dub music is still a problem though. Most of the time the dub score just kind of seems unmemorable to me, but I can see how it would be more jarring when you compare it to the original score.

[/ISpoiler]
I wouldn't say Serena is sexist for having a crush.
It also doesn't help that Serena told Fenniken something along the lines of "A Girl's Job is to always be Cute" or something like that I can't remember at the moment.
This, however...

All jokes aside, Serena does make me a bit uncomfortable, I think she plays the "subservient waifu" part a bit too much, and it honestly was one of the reasons I decided to put XY on hold again. I know it gets better eventually, and part of her character arc is getting some agency on her life, but it's a little too frustrating to watch for me right now.who knows, maybe my opinion will change once I finish the series, especially the huge middle chunk of episodes I missed.

It is a sexist remark though? I haven’t watched much of the series' beginning, but this is a sexist remark out of context.

I wouldn't say Serena is sexist for having a crush.

This, however...

It is a sexist remark though? I haven’t watched much of the series' beginning, but this is a sexist remark out of context.

Ah ok I found the context for that line

The correct statement Serena told Fenniken was that "Girls should take care of their appearances"
(Sorry I screwed up on my previous post)

The context here was that Serena was making a Pokevision video.

I can see how that can sound sexist outside of the context.

But if you're trying to make a Video where you intend on having loads of people watching then I can see how wanting to take care of your appearance is an important factor.

Still perhaps they could've worded it differently

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom