• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Ah ok I found the context for that line

The correct statement Serena told Fenniken was that "Girls should take care of their appearances"
(Sorry I screwed up on my previous post)

The context here was that Serena was making a Pokevision video.

I can see how that can sound sexist outside of the context.

But if you're trying to make a Video where you intend on having loads of people watching then I can see how wanting to take care of your appearance is an important factor.

Still perhaps they could've worded it differently
I still think it’s sexist since iirc even males were a part of the PokeVision video.

The Galar starters get the short end of the stick in JN :
-we have a fully evolved Cinderance, who appears less and less after evolving.
-we have a Drizzle who doesnt appear at all after evolving.
-we have a Grookey who debuts after 59 episodes into the series.

Come on writers... Starters never have been treated in such a way, not even during OS. I know there was Monferno, but still.

The Galar starters get the short end of the stick in JN :
-we have a fully evolved Cinderance, who appears less and less after evolving.
-we have a Drizzle who doesnt appear at all after evolving.
-we have a Grookey who debuts after 59 episodes into the series.

Come on writers... Starters never have been treated in such a way, not even during OS. I know there was Monferno, but still.

I think that's judging at least Drizzle a bit too fast, especially when not appearing after its evolution does at least make sense. Ideally, it will show up some more before inevitably evolving. I agree that they took too long to have Grookey appear, but I don't think that's necessarily because it got the short end of the stick. Given how long it took for Sobble to appear, I think that they want to handle the newest starters differently with this series since it isn't set primarily in Galar. Plus, it isn't really lacking in attention at the moment and the most recent episode focused partly on Grookey.

Cinderace appearing less after evolving is more disappointing, especially when I liked the bond between Goh and Cinderace. Goh reconnecting with Raboot was one of the reasons why I started to really like Goh too. Despite that, I wouldn't say that Cinderace has been handled poorly, at least not at the moment. I think that they wanted to evolve Cinderace possibly in par to show that it wasn't going to be the cute secondary mascot like a lot of fans assumed when Goh was first shown with Scorbunny. I also still think that they may want to give Goh a Gigatamax Cinderace at some point.

While I don't think that the Galar starters have been handled perfectly by any means, I don't think that they've been treated poorly either. I don't think that the writers didn't have faith or interest in using the Galar starters, which is a notion that has come up multiple times before.

I don't think that they've been treated poorly either.
I do not recall any trio before this one that has received lesser amount of appearances than the Galar starters. Except maybe random examples like Marshtomp, but this is the first time an entire trio has been subjected to this fate.

This pains me especially because, and Idk about you guys, but I love every single stage of all of the starters. I think Galar was the only region (at least up to this moment, that is) where I loved every single version of the starter trio. Normally there's one or two stinkers for me in every regional starters lines, but it didn't happened to me with the galarian trio. So seeing them getting this treatment is honestly painfull :(

*Tifanny Pollard's voice*
''Grookey, sweetie, I'm so sorry...''

It pains me in general just seeing how Galar got the short end of the stick. I mean its not just the starters, though it frustrates me seeing how they've been handled, and seeing all go to Goh. Its the Pokemon in general, the region itself, and its characters. While SwSh as a game has a number of issues, there's a lot I like about it and it sucks to see it not get the treatment other games got with their respective series.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is that the Galar Starters really did change the game for future Starters going forward into the series tho.

These will be the 1st set of Starters to have all 3 reach their final stages

Also none of them went to Ash.

This brings forth 2 very Big Questions.

1.) Will Ash ever get another Starter again?

2.) Will all Starters Fully Evolve from the this point out?

One thing I noticed is that the Galar Starters really did change the game for future Starters going forward into the series tho.

Also none of them went to Ash.

This brings forth 2 very Big Questions.

1.) Will Ash ever get another Starter again?

2.) Will all Starters Fully Evolve from the this point out?

I think it's too early to answer either of those questions. Just because Ash didn't get one of the new starters for this series doesn't necessarily mean he won't get one in the next series or that all of future starters will fully evolve going forward either. For better or for worse, Journeys is a different kind of Pokemon series, so it's hard to say if the changes they've made for the Galar starters will be done for any future generations as well.

Out of the two questions, I could see them making each starter fully evolve going forward, if only to better promote each form. While I can understand some the issues with Goh getting at least two fully evolved starters, I do kind of like that the anime is featuring different stages of a starter's form since that kind of feels refreshing. I think it makes more sense to wait awhile for starters, or Pokemon in general, to be fully evolved, but sometimes they also take too long to do even that.

I can see Ash getting another starter in the future. They are clearly doing something different for his current team, which may not be the exact case for future series. Plus, I don't think that the Galar starters would necessarily be handled better under Ash's team given how many understandably complain about Gengar not appearing. I just think people are a bit quick to assume that the changes made in Journeys are going to stick past this series when it's just too early to tell for sure either way.

Is this confirmed? Because we can't say for sure until there's at least a solid hint that Grookey will evolve, so I wouldn't say this is a broken trend just yet.

Is this confirmed? Because we can't say for sure until there's at least a solid hint that Grookey will evolve, so I wouldn't say this is a broken trend just yet.
For now, part of me doesn't think Grookey will evolve because of one thing: Ever since DP, the anime has had a constant need of having at least one "cute" and marketable gag starter. IMO, all three of Galar's starters fit the bill, though right now, that's Grookey.

Scorbunny started out at the cute one, though they shifted away from this after Scorbunny evolved. Sobble came along, and while Raboot still had those moments, Sobble was mostly the cute "gag" one, with Sobble's big gags being it often crying and having others cry along. Plus there was Sobble often hiding. As soon as Grookey showed up, Sobble evolved and promptly disappeared into the background not too long after.

Last edited:
Grookey will most likely evolve and be replaced with like Kubfu or Toxel in maybe 20 Episodes. Just a guess since they seem to replace the gagmon so often this series.
Hopefully not Toxel, because I really don't want its personality on the main cast.

If anything I'd say that this post is confirmation alone that Grookey will Evolve eventually.

For now, part of me doesn't think Grookey will evolve because of one thing: Ever since DP, the anime has had a constant need of having at least one "cute" and marketable gag starter. IMO, all three of Galar's starters fit the bill, though right now, that's Grookey.

Scorbunny started out at the cute one, though they shifted away from this after Scorbunny evolved. Sobble came along, and while Raboot still had those moments, Sobble was mostly the cute "gag" one, with Sobble's big gags being it often crying and having others cry along. Plus there was Sobble often hiding. As soon as Grookey showed up, Sobble evolved and promptly disappeared into the background not too long after.

This only sums up the reason why I'm sure Grookey's Evolving

Scorbunny and Sobble were used for gags until they suddenly weren't.

So what exactly would be stopping Grookey from following their lead? :wynaut:

Only reason that it's even up for debate is because of the Question of what will replace Grookey as Gou's new shoulder Mon after it Evolves? :unsure:

You know, in regards to the starters, I do think these two questions OP stated are yet to be answered.

But I know that this is not a controversial opinion at this point, but I still strongly believe Goh shouldn't have gotten all 3 starters. Ash should've gotten at least one, and Chloe should've gotten the last. The thing is, at least imo, Goh is objectively the worse choice to have the full trio. (Well, Chloe would be the worst of the 3 if we really think about it but my point still stands.) Goh doesn't really showcases the starters is any interesting way. I get that there's more in a Pokémon than just battling, but with the way these have been treated, ugh.

Scorbunny had potential, but evolved too fast, the ''Raboot doesn't respects Goh'' plot line was badly written and also ended too fast, which culminated in a rather underwhelming, and arguably underserved, evolution into Cinderace, who also barely appears nowdays, and when it does, it just battles against a random Pokémon for 15 seconds before it gets captured by Goh. So it just got the fate of ''capture assistant'', cuz even the ''It and Lucario are equal'' thing sorta of got dropped at this point.

Sobble had the biggest bs capture in history (seriously what was that?), did nothing but stand on Goh's shoulder and it's crying gag, evolved in the most underwhelming way possible, and disappeared. At least we have the eventual evolution into an Inteleon to loo forward to, but in all honesty, I'm not that excited. All this without counting the anime's biggest fake out with it's capture that put even the Kalos League's final battle promo to shame.

And Grookey... well... it's cute. But that's it: the whole thing about it begins and ends with it being cute. And even the way it literally fell into Goh's lap was contrived and it was really controversial all around, making Goh's popularity dip significantly throughout the entire fandom.

I get it. Probably none of them would've fared much better with Ash, considering how his team is being treated this season, but considering how, in the past, the starters are usually the ace in the team and they get some good focus, I still wish Ash would've gotten one. Maybe they would've been treated better, but oh well...

Last edited:
If anything I'd say that this post is confirmation alone that Grookey will Evolve eventually.
Excuse me, but... how? How does me pointing out that there's currently zero proof of Grookey evolving evidence that it will? You keep saying that "so far" is key words that something will definitely appear to replace Grookey in the future, but there's an equal chance that nothing will, so if you're going to claim that 50% odds of a new cutemon appearing suddenly equals 100... well, everyone who's skeptical of Grookey's evolution can use those same arguments to claim the opposite.

Was Scorbunny really considered a gag Pokemon? Aside from kicking Ash a couple of times, I don't really remember it being used as a gag Pokemon prior to evolving into Raboot. Sobble's crying was used a a gag more often by comparison, but I don't think it was used that heavily either. I don't think that the crying was used that much and turning invisible could be considered more of a character gimmick or quirk than just a running gag.

As far as Grookey evolving goes, it could go either way at this point. The fact that Goh is going to have at least two fully evolved starters does make the notion that Grookey will eventually evolve possible. It wouldn't be impossible to replace Grookey with another cute marketable Pokemon either, but there is no strong evidence pointing to that possibility at the moment, so it is still fifty-fifty odds at best right now.

Was Scorbunny really considered a gag Pokemon? Aside from kicking Ash a couple of times, I don't really remember it being used as a gag Pokemon prior to evolving into Raboot. Sobble's crying was used a a gag more often by comparison, but I don't think it was used that heavily either. I don't think that the crying was used that much and turning invisible could be considered more of a character gimmick or quirk than just a running gag.
I feel as if the actual definition of what a gag pokemon can be is rather loose at this point, honestly.

Snivy should have been treated as Ash's ace in Unova. *shrugs*
To me, Snivy felt like the most interesting character out of the entire Unova team. Her backstory is unique, her capture episode established numerous aspects of her personality that were never lost or shown less as the series went on(unlike, say, Talonflame or Palpitoad if I remember correctly) and she had unique relationships with each of the other pokemon on the main cast-the most notable one being Pignite. Her flaws balanced out the positive aspects of her personality and it would've been really interesting to see her grow from said flaws as her attitude actually tended to cause problems on occasion(most notable: Emolga). Snivy had SO much potential and its sad that it unfortunately went to waste.

Back
Top Bottom