• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

To me, Snivy felt like the most interesting character out of the entire Unova team. Her backstory is unique, her capture episode established numerous aspects of her personality that were never lost or shown less as the series went on(unlike, say, Talonflame or Palpitoad if I remember correctly) and she had unique relationships with each of the other pokemon on the main cast-the most notable one being Pignite. Her flaws balanced out the positive aspects of her personality and it would've been really interesting to see her grow from said flaws as her attitude actually tended to cause problems on occasion(most notable: Emolga). Snivy had SO much potential and its sad that it unfortunately went to waste.
You know, I'm still SO mad they didn't went anywhere with Snivy. I mean, okay, Pokémon being released and given away by trainers for not being strong or ''good'' enough and then being recaptured and then getting stronger is a nice arc and message and all, but c'mon, it's been seen and done ever since OS.

Which is also the main generalised complaint with Pignite too. Another Fire starter getting kicked out for being weak enough and that eventually gets stronger?
groundbreaking.gif

But a Pokémon leaving it's trainer out of dissatisfaction because it's past trainer wasn't good enough in it's eyes? Like, wow. I'm invested. But then they just went nowhere with that. They never dived into that.

Also, now that I'm typing this... wasn't this Greninja's backstory? Maybe they scrapped Snivy's backstory to reuse for Froakie?

Excuse me, but... how? How does me pointing out that there's currently zero proof of Grookey evolving evidence that it will? You keep saying that "so far" is key words that something will definitely appear to replace Grookey in the future, but there's an equal chance that nothing will, so if you're going to claim that 50% odds of a new cutemon appearing suddenly equals 100... well, everyone who's skeptical of Grookey's evolution can use those same arguments to claim the opposite.
I was actually pointing towards the post Luxray said.

It definitely seems to be going a pattern/cycle with the Galar Starters.

Scorbunny started out as a gag mon and evolved by the time Sobble came around

Sobble started out as a gag mon and evolve shortly after Grookey got here.

Only thing potentially stopping Grookey from following their lead is that we don't know what will replace it after it evolves

Also last I recall weren't almost EVERYONE here skeptical/almost certain Sobble wasn't going to evolve? :unsure:

I feel as if the actual definition of what a gag pokemon can be is rather loose at this point, honestly.
A gag mon is whatever you choose to call these guys
1550941070441.jpg

To me, Snivy felt like the most interesting character out of the entire Unova team. Her backstory is unique, her capture episode established numerous aspects of her personality that were never lost or shown less as the series went on(unlike, say, Talonflame or Palpitoad if I remember correctly) and she had unique relationships with each of the other pokemon on the main cast-the most notable one being Pignite. Her flaws balanced out the positive aspects of her personality and it would've been really interesting to see her grow from said flaws as her attitude actually tended to cause problems on occasion(most notable: Emolga). Snivy had SO much potential and its sad that it unfortunately went to waste.
To this day I still get heated when I think about Snivy's wasted potential.

She had such a unique personality (by Pokemon standards anyway), interesting implied backstory (which got recycled for Froakie later), and was just all around cool in general.

Nah let's just drop all of that simply because the writer's wanted to recreate the OS by having an Evolved Fire Starter and Unevolved Water and Grass Starters :rolleyes:

I think this might sound a lot controversial so I'll voice my opinion towards the so-called Gagmon (which is a good and funny nickname btw): the one that bugs me the most happens to be Pocchama, and for the reason he's constantly thrown into your face every single episode. I skipped most of SM so can't say much about Mukuroh, and as far as I remember Mijumaru and Harimaron wouldn't appear weekly.

I understand and agree that Pocchama is the best developed of all of them, and I do like his training bits (as well as the Draco Meteor gag), but making him as a second Pikachu in DP is sort of annoying to me. I wish he'd miss some episodes back then.

I think its more so that Scorbunny had the build of the cutesy, marketable gag starter. The cutesy, energetic, prideful, cocky type. Scorbunny did kick Ash around a little, but it didn't have that much in terms of gags. Scorbunny certainly looked like it was gonna go in that direction though, until it evolved suddenly not even 20 episodes in.

I was actually pointing towards the post Luxray said.

It definitely seems to be going a pattern/cycle with the Galar Starters.

Scorbunny started out as a gag mon and evolved by the time Sobble came around

Sobble started out as a gag mon and evolve shortly after Grookey got here.

Only thing potentially stopping Grookey from following their lead is that we don't know what will replace it after it evolves.

I'm still not sure how Scorbunny was considered a gag Pokemon. I can understand seeing Sobble as such, even though I don't think that they relied on the crying gag that much prior to its evolution, but what gags did Scorbunny actually have? I'm not sure if Grookey has a gag right now so much as it's just the cute marketable unevolved starter.

Rainbow-Rain said:
Also last I recall weren't almost EVERYONE here skeptical/almost certain Sobble wasn't going to evolve? :unsure

Admittedly, I don't remember if fans thought that Sobble wasn't going to evolve, but I don't think that necessarily improves Grookey's chances of evolving right now.

I think this might sound a lot controversial so I'll voice my opinion towards the so-called Gagmon (which is a good and funny nickname btw): the one that bugs me the most happens to be Pocchama, and for the reason he's constantly thrown into your face every single episode. I skipped most of SM so can't say much about Mukuroh, and as far as I remember Mijumaru and Harimaron wouldn't appear weekly.

I understand and agree that Pocchama is the best developed of all of them, and I do like his training bits (as well as the Draco Meteor gag), but making him as a second Pikachu in DP is sort of annoying to me. I wish he'd miss some episodes back then.

As much as I think Piplup generally works for what they were going for, I can definitely understand finding it annoying or just being annoyed at how hard they were pushing it as the secondary mascot of DP. Every time I've rewatched DP, Piplup being treated like a regular starter with not appearing in every episode to being the second Pikachu out of its Pokeball every episode is still so jarring.

I'm still not sure how Scorbunny was considered a gag Pokemon. I can understand seeing Sobble as such, even though I don't think that they relied on the crying gag that much prior to its evolution, but what gags did Scorbunny actually have? I'm not sure if Grookey has a gag right now so much as it's just the cute marketable unevolved starter.
From what I remember Scorbunny seemed to have a bit of a gag that consisted of acting cocky yet immediately getting btfo by other Pokémon (Pikachu, Mightyena, Golurk, etc)
He also had a bit of a short temper. (Like you said it liked to kick Ash and Gou around)
Only reason it wasn't as blatant was because he stick around long enough for those Gags to cement

Admittedly, I don't remember if fans thought that Sobble wasn't going to evolve, but I don't think that necessarily improves Grookey's chances of evolving right now.
Lmao there were tons of people who believed it wasn't gonna evolve even after the Episode that introduced Inteleon showed how much Sobble looked up to him and strived to become like him.

Admittedly I shouldn't have so quick to say that Grookey will outright Evolve but to think Evolution seems unlikely for him is odd to me considering what we've been given so far

Like there's nothing pointing to Grookey's Evolution sure. But was there anything pointing towards Scorbunny's Evolution before it randomly happened?

Snivy had SO much potential and its sad that it unfortunately went to waste.
Completely agree. Like actually letting her evolve or have learn new moves or...
But a Pokémon leaving it's trainer out of dissatisfaction because it's past trainer wasn't good enough in it's eyes? Like, wow. I'm invested. But then they just went nowhere with that. They never dived into that.
...this. Why on Earth was it brought up multiple times if it was never going to be explored? Because gotta focus on the Fire type's story, I suppose.

Completely agree. Like actually letting her evolve or have learn new moves or...

And I second that. I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I strongly believed Tsutarja'd grow to become Satoshi's starter ace instead of Chaobu. She was the hardest one to catch for eg (even if the Attract gag was a tad overused), and the only one (other than Pikachu) that did something during Shooty's 5vs5 battle. He even commented that Pikachu and Tsutarja were the only ones who had skills after said battle.

It's really disappointing that Tsutarja never evolved and never got new moves. I'd have loved to see her turned into a Jalorda.

From what I remember Scorbunny seemed to have a bit of a gag that consisted of acting cocky yet immediately getting btfo by other Pokémon (Pikachu, Mightyena, Golurk, etc)
He also had a bit of a short temper. (Like you said it liked to kick Ash and Gou around)
Only reason it wasn't as blatant was because he stick around long enough for those Gags to cement

That sounds more like personality traits and quirks rather than actual gags. Granted, it could be because Scorbunny evolved before those could stick around long enough to be considered gags, but it just doesn't really come off as something that could be considered a gag Pokemon, especially compared to other gag starters.

Rainbow-Rain said:
Lmao there were tons of people who believed it wasn't gonna evolve even after the Episode that introduced Inteleon showed how much Sobble looked up to him and strived to become like him.

That does sound a bit odd since the Inteleon episode should have made it clear that Sobble evolving was going to happen eventually. I could understand being unsure about Sobble evolving beforehand, but admiring its evolved form would be a pretty big sign.

Rainbow-Rain said:
Admittedly I shouldn't have so quick to say that Grookey will outright Evolve but to think Evolution seems unlikely for him is odd to me considering what we've been given so far

I don't think that people are saying that evolution is unlikely for Grookey. They could easily make it evolve so that Goh has all fully evolved Galar starters. It's just not a guarantee at the moment. I could easily see them going either way right now, which is why I said that the chances of Grookey evolving are fifty-fifty.

Rainbow-Rain said:
Like there's nothing pointing to Grookey's Evolution sure. But was there anything pointing towards Scorbunny's Evolution before it randomly happened?

I don't think that Scorbunny's sudden evolution necessarily means that the same thing will happen to Grookey. It's possible, but just because one starter evolved without any signs doesn't mean it will happen to another one.

I don’t really like the Alola region.

Which is weird because I love what it’s based on (Hawaii) but I feel like my anti SM bias feels like I can’t take the region seriously. It’s still a cool setting, but even in the games it feels bare bones. Plus they had WAY TO MANY LEGENDARIES.

I will give them credit for having Hawaiian lore such as giving a blessing to the dietes (the Tapus) before a Trial, but I think that Alola needed more battling in general. I like the culture, and they could have done a lot more with it, but disliked the league format.

Which is weird because I love what it’s based on (Hawaii) but I feel like my anti SM bias feels like I can’t take the region seriously. It’s still a cool setting, but even in the games it feels bare bones. Plus they had WAY TO MANY LEGENDARIES.
What do you mean by "bare bones" in this case? And I don't think the Legendaries were overly abundant in Alola. Four of them were even in the same evolutionary family.
I will give them credit for having Hawaiian lore such as giving a blessing to the dietes (the Tapus) before a Trial, but I think that Alola needed more battling in general. I like the culture, and they could have done a lot more with it, but disliked the league format.
Alola clearly doesn't focus as much on battling as other regions. It's part of their regional identity. And the League format we witness in the Alola games is basically a blend of old traditions and new influences. It's basically in a transitional phase.

And I don't think the Legendaries were overly abundant in Alola. Four of them were even in the same evolutionary family.
They’re probably counting the Necrozma forms, Tapus and Ultra Beasts. I’m sure you’re going to reply you don’t think they’re Legendaries but many consider them so. I personally don’t but that’s a pretty glaring truth that the games code them as Legendaries and it gives such vibes to many people.
Alola clearly doesn't focus as much on battling as other regions. It's part of their regional identity. And the League format we witness in the Alola games is basically a blend of old traditions and new influences. It's basically in a transitional phase.
Well... it can be a case and people can still not like that creative choice...
Just because something has a creative justification, people can not like that creative choice.

I personally liked SM towards the end but I can see why people might've had problems with it.

What do you mean by "bare bones" in this case? And I don't think the Legendaries were overly abundant in Alola. Four of them were even in the same evolutionary family.

And what do they focus on instead?

Back
Top Bottom