• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Now that I think about it....
Almost every main character sang an ending, bar Kenji and Masato, until BW.

Satoshi has Type: Wild.
Kasumi, Lapras ni Notte.
Takeshi, Takeshi no Paradise.
Haruka, Watashi, Makenai!
Hikari, Kimi no Soba de, still counts.
Even Team Rocket got one. Maemuki Roketto-dan!

They took a break during BW, only to abuse in XY and sent the trend to rest in SM.

All of Jouto's opening themes are good too imo. I love the remixed Mezase Pokemon Master and Ready Go! the most, but the English ones are not far behind.

I'm very nostalgic toward the Brazilian Portuguese adaption of Johto League Champions:

Just hearing it brings me back to my 1st grade self! lol Watching Pokemon at 10 PM from Monday to Friday on Cartoon Network before going to bed because of school in the following day.

The remix played during an important moment for Satoshi, another person sings it instead....

Speaking of soundtrack dissonance....

The only other seiyuu I remember that also had a song was Aikawa Rikako: sang Pokemon Harahara Relay and voiced many Cotd, the first being Jun from EP009.

Edit: I totally missed Ishizuka Unshou, the first ending Hyakugojuuichi.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, it's not a bad dub OP. Follows the original relatively well.
My big nostalgia OP has got to be "It's Always You and Me", the BW opening. I...I love BW so much. God, it makes me so nostalgic for my 5-7 year old self hanging out on saturdays before sports games, watching this and Sonic X.
I also have some for "Be a Hero!", which was an opening when I was 9-almost 10. I watched XY and BW the most. They're still my favorites!
I was already done with the dub by BW but my favorite dub OP'd be Rival Destinies:
I remember working on some good artwork years ago by listening to this song in loops.

Btw it's nice to know that, even though we have a very big age difference, we both grew up with and have nostalgic feeling towards Pokemon. Of course mine goes from since the start, I was lucky enough to see this franchise exploding back in the late-90s\early-00s as a little kid.

Love this one too. It has a cool soulful, yet emo sound.
You really were lucky at that. Although I do count myself lucky that it was still on Cartoon Network when I was littler. Nothing like waking up and then waiting for the next episode. And I had friends who watched it too (and loved Pokemon as much as me.)

You mean in the US, right? xD For me it was always on CN, I bet to this day. It aired in some open TV channels too, but with missing parts and mostly cut OPs (I'd watch them in my cousin's home since they didn't have cable TC). IIRC I remember people saying Pokemon premiered on Kids' WB in the US? Then it moved to Cartoon Network, then to Disney XD. Funny since Kids' WB's not even a channel in my homecountry. Here in Canada it airs on Teletoon, but since I don't have (and don't need) cable TV, I can't really watch it anymore lol

Going back to the 'double protagonist thingy'.

I've already said that Satoshi and Gou's relationship is unhealthy/unbalanced.
Gou is all take and no give.

I still don't understand this notion of their relationship, especially when I've never seen any of Ash's other friendships criticized in such a manner. I can understand not liking their dynamic or just having a personal preference on how character dynamics work, but it just seems so unnecessarily harsh to call their relationship unhealthy/unbalanced. It is especially harsh to say that Goh gives nothing to their relationship when Ash clearly enjoys being with him.

Unireon said:
Regarding Hikari....
I hated that she was dropped unceremoniously.

I'm not really sure how Dawn was dropped unceremoniously. She had an episode devoted to being conflicted over what to do after the Grand Festival, had a good sendoff in the DP finale and got a special that led to her traveling through Hoenn. Nothing about that really sounds like she was tossed aside with no fanfare involved.

I'm not really sure how Dawn was dropped unceremoniously. She had an episode devoted to being conflicted over what to do after the Grand Festival, had a good sendoff in the DP finale and got a special that led to her traveling through Hoenn. Nothing about that really sounds like she was tossed aside with no fanfare involved.
The split happened due to a very convenient reason that came out of the blue.
As I've said many times, I don't like when that happens.
Another factor was that I'd grown very attached to her.

The split happened due to a very convenient reason that came out of the blue.
As I've said many times, I don't like when that happens.
Another factor was that I'd grown very attached to her.

Oh you were talking about why she suddenly left for that fashion shoot with Buneary. That makes more sense. That never really bothered me because she was going to have to leave by the end of the episode anyway and the main focus was on Piplup, and by extension everyone else, coming to terms with saying goodbye. I can understand not liking that she was going to leave after getting attached to her. She's one of my favorite characters in the anime too, but all things considered, I thought she got a pretty good sendoff, which is more than some other characters have gotten.

I've never liked any of the songs produced in the West. Japanese purist here.

Man, this thread'd been busy these last 24 hours. So much to catch up with...
What we're really saying here is: Contests > Pokemon catching.
I actually prefer battles and Pokémon catching to Contests. I just like the action more than the show (i.e. showing off moves outside of battle).

Catching in past series was great and meant something, those were memorable.
Many of those moments are iconic.

Gou's frantic way lacks all of that and is mostly devoid of soul and any depth.

I'm not sure this is a controversial opinion though, it more seems like a fact to me, since most of Goh's captures are happens with just throwing a ball.

Another Opinion that I've actually been thinking about lately.

Goh having all 3 Galar Starters isn't a problem in itself nor does it make him a creator's pet by itself

It's really not a big deal if Ash doesn't have a Galar Starter

The ACTUAL problem with Gou having all 3 Starters however, is that since Gou isn't a Battler it's really hard to develop Scorbunny, Sobble, and Grookey in any way that doesn't seem contrived and when things like Evolution occurs it feels completely unearned because we don't get to see these guys actually doing anything so it just feels like the Writers are handing Goh fully Evolved Starters on a Platter.

THAT is what makes Goh come off as a massive creator's pet

Back
Top Bottom