• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I can see Goh being asked to collect a Lunar Wing from Cresselia but what he's gonna collect from Darkrai? Dark Void?
Ash and Go maybe encounter Darkrai as well in their trial, probably they will encounter Darkrai first who is causing nightmare to the townspeople like in DP than they will search for Cresselia for lunar wing and ask her help to get rid off Darkrai.

Ash and Go maybe encounter Darkrai as well in their trial, probably they will encounter Darkrai first who is causing nightmare to the townspeople like in DP than they will search for Cresselia for lunar wing and ask her help to get rid off Darkrai.

An evil Darkrai once again? Well hear me out on this one, I'm not sure If it's controversial but I'd rather see a Darkrai in anime like how it was in movie, misunderstood hero basically, aside from movie and I believe Pokemon Ranger Manga, Darkrai was always depicted as evil, and that kind of sucks but that's only me probably.

Why wasn't the Battle Frontier located in the Sevii Islands in the anime? Would've been a great way to promote the Kanto remakes and been more interesting than traveling through Kanto again.
And I just realized: there even were seven islands, one for each facility. What the heck?! Seems so obvious!

Okay, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say it... The first season is overrated. Like, REALLY overrated. And it's not just that I think, "oh people kinda make a big deal out of it, but in reality it's pretty mediocre", no, I straight up think that it's BAD. Like, REALLY bad. EASILY the worst season. It's a miracle it was successful enough for them to make more.
What do you think was so bad about them?

Everything and everyone in Kanto feel like they cater specifically towards Ash.
Hardly. Ash makes numerous failures, including losing the Indigo League because he had spent his time goofing off rather than training his Pokémon. He hardly seemed like someone who got everything handed to him on a silver platter.
Here, Ash, have this Bulbasaur that protects a village of sick Pokemon and leave them defenseless, but it's okay because they want you to have it. Why do they want you to have it? Don't worry about thaf.
That's what's called Early Installment Weirdness. Early writing quirks that got ironed out over time. Like the fact that Melony was a psychopath for setting up potentially lethal traps, like a collapsing bridge.
Oh, what's that, Ash? You found Blayne's secret gym? Congratulations, your prize is a free stay in Blayne's secret 5 star hotel that only you can stay in. Why are the gym and hotel secret, and how does Blayne make money? Don't worry about it. It's like what people hate about Goh nowdays but with Ash.
Blaine's hotel is not a secret, just not that well known. And his Gym being a secret is explained in the episode: Blaine got tired of battling tourists and set up a secret Gym for Trainers who want to have a true Gym battle. Also, he didn't win a stay at the hotel because of finding the Gym. He found the inn first. Plus, him having a hotel is kind of an example of Hypocritical Humor: Blaine blames tourism for ruining the island, yet he runs a hotel himself. It's even pointed out by Misty.
And it's not like Ash is a good trainer or something. He's an unbearably stupid and incompetent trainer and person as a whole, even for a newbie, and it physically hurts to see him do anything. He's not a Gary Sue himself, but all of the characters treat him like one anyway.
He's just as incompetent in the first season as you'd expect a newbie to be. I don't see it being over the top, even for his lack of experience at that point. And at which point is Ash treated as a Gary Stu by others? I don't see that myself.
But like, my biggest complaint about that season is that there's filler within filler. Episodes feel like they simply don't have enough substance so the writers had to smear their concepts over 20 minutes. I'm convinced that's the only reason Jigglypuff exists, by the way. (The character, not the species as a whole) It's just impossible to get through an episode.
First season's fillers are actually classics and hardly ever boring. In the Orange Archipelago and Johto, though... Yeah. Those seasons had loads of bad filler. And yeah, I'll agree with you on Jigglypuff being used for nothing by meaningless filler material for 99% of the time. But overall, like I said, most of Kanto's fillers were actually entertaining and even contained loads of worldbuilding (like how can people who can't compete for Badges get a chance to compete in the Pokémon League, how Gyms are approved, and so on).

Okay, so, first of all, the animation was awful. Looked extremely choppy and cheap. Captain N-level of choppy and cheap.

Everything and everyone in Kanto feel like they cater specifically towards Ash. Here, Ash, have this Bulbasaur that protects a village of sick Pokemon and leave them defenseless, but it's okay because they want you to have it. Why do they want you to have it? Don't worry about thaf. Oh, what's that, Ash? You found Blayne's secret gym? Congratulations, your prize is a free stay in Blayne's secret 5 star hotel that only you can stay in. Why are the gym and hotel secret, and how does Blayne make money? Don't worry about it. It's like what people hate about Goh nowdays but with Ash.

And it's not like Ash is a good trainer or something. He's an unbearably stupid and incompetent trainer and person as a whole, even for a newbie, and it physically hurts to see him do anything. He's not a Gary Sue himself, but all of the characters treat him like one anyway.

But like, my biggest complaint about that season is that there's filler within filler. Episodes feel like they simply don't have enough substance so the writers had to smear their concepts over 20 minutes. I'm convinced that's the only reason Jigglypuff exists, by the way. (The character, not the species as a whole) It's just impossible to get through an episode.
Tbh first season fillers are really good unlike Orange island or Johto which has painfully boring fillers mostly.

Those wild Pokemons already had that girl to take care so she want Bulbasaur to join Ash so he can enjoy the world rather than spending his entire life there.

I completely agree with Ash being incompetent stretch out too much, they really spend more than 100 episodes to make Ash come out of his noob phase just because they want to stretch his journey for more than 20 years.

I think biggest problem of first season was battles and TR, there is really great gym battle like Ash Vs Lt. Surge and Blain but all others are either too mediocre or trash, indigo league had only 2 good battles while half league arc is like Axew filler where TR getting too many unnecessary focus, also how TR appear in almost all the episodes and ruin gym battles and was the main reason Ash lost indigo league in such horrible way.

Okay, so, first of all, the animation was awful. Looked extremely choppy and cheap. Captain N-level of choppy and cheap.
I am a sucker for hand-colored cel animation, so there is no way I'd agree with that. I always feel like 90s and early 2000s animé look way more aesthetic than what's being done today, although I see why the new productions would go with digital colorization for the purpose of budget and time saving.

My controversial opinion is that, if it were up to me, I'd love to see the new Pokémon series with a visual style akin to Pikachu's Rescue Adventure.

Why wasn't the Battle Frontier located in the Sevii Islands in the anime? Would've been a great way to promote the Kanto remakes and been more interesting than traveling through Kanto again.
I got the impression that they weren't really trying with the Battle Frontier arc since it seemed like a last minute addition to fill time to the delayed Sinnoh games, similar to the Orange Islands arc in the original series. Somebody just said, "why not set them in Kanto?" without even a thought to the idea of using the Sevii Islands, and the Kanto region itself was incredibly poorly represented with almost zero links to its OS representation and nearly all the landmarks were merely mentioned and not seen.

@FinnishPokéFan92 something being Early Installment Weirdness doesn’t make it immune to it being disliked.
————————————-

Pikachu is the de facto shillmon for this saga at the detriment of all other members of Ash's team. At least Ash Greninja lasted for a small part of the series towards the end, whereas this thing has been happening for the entire JN series.

I'm getting fed up with seeing people saying Ash is still not champion material or not strong as other Champions.

Ash not only beat Kukui who was like in game Champion but also guardian deity Tapu Koko who both in games and anime was beyond champion opponent plus he use Guardian of Alola, even if anyone say Kukui isn't champion level but Tapu Koko obviously is champion ace level, Ash is no way weakest Champion.

Last edited:
It's more because how he got the title.

The Alola League was just the writers throwing the bone to him, at last.
Not the best choice, actually, as there weren't any requirements to enter and no full battles either. Like they said, Easy Mode. That undermines the result.

And people got rubbed the wrong way by it due to Kalos; according to many, myself included, the one he should have won.

The battle against Kukui doesn't count, because the League was over by then.
It was just an exhibition match.

Last edited:
This is less of a properly established opinion and more of a rant, and I'm not sure how controversial this is-if, at all-but: Journeys’ direction in how they’re taking Pikachu’s character has got to single handedly be the worst version of Pikachu I’ve ever seen.

All of his positive qualities have been completely stripped from him, spamming the negative traits to make him look like the cute battle mon who’s endearing traits are as nonexistent as Ash’s Gengar. I used to find his childishness cute and endearing, but now I find it petty and annoying. I used to find his relationship with Ash to be the best thing of the show, now it feels so forced and contrived I feel like throwing the screen down anytime a moment between them is shown. I used to like his design, but now I dislike it. I don’t even like the way they animate Thunderbolt and the different ways they animate it throughout each series is something I’ve loved. He just feels like a cardboard cutout of an over glorified pet in the skin of the franchise’s mascot to justify poor writing.

JN030 has got to be one of the worst episodes I’ve ever seen in the entire anime and the amount of “focus” this atrocious interpretation of Pikachu has gotten makes my skin crawl. All of the Pikachu episodes before Journeys used to have a certain “charm” to them-a charm which was stolen from this series as soon as the pokemon being treated as nonexistent became a pattern.

He’s completely out of character, to the point where every episode makes me wonder if I’ll have an easier time watching Pikachu on-screen if I pretend its an impostor and not the same character...this is BW Team Rocket all over again. Every single moment with said character is either completely and utterly boring or absolutely gratingly painful to get through because of how offensive the characterization is.

He doesn’t have a single solid relationship with any of his teammates, sans Lucario...a relationship which actually, at this point, has once again fell to the endless abyss that is the forgotten of Journeys. In previous series, Pikachu was shown to be important, while in this series, I constantly wonder why the hell he’s even here. The supposed set-up battle between him and Leon’s Charizard feels like the MOST boring and uninteresting “rivalry” and future battle-so much so, that Pikachu’s “rivalry” with Mimikyu looks like it’s to the level of Ash and Paul in comparison. Pikachu's battle with Korrina's Lucario is ALREADY leagues above this battle and the outcome of that battle doesn't even make sense!

His relationship with Ash doesn’t feel organic and you’d have to force me to watch any of the Pikachu episodes in this series again because of how annoyed and utterly exhausted I am of Pikachu in Journeys. His design is weird, his “cute” moments feel annoying and not the slightest bit cute, his Thunderbolt animation feels weird, his relationship with Ash doesn’t feel as endearing as it used to either because it feels more of “human and pet” rather than “best friends” or "brothers" or "equal partners", Pikachu feels like a baby, and his role is so unfathomably bland and uninteresting that a piece of burnt toast feels far more appealing. There are only so many ways I can say how Journeys Pikachu makes my blood boil. I used to think I would hate it if Pikachu was removed from the show, but by all means, with the nonsensical direction that Journeys has already been taken since Episode 1, just DO IT. I’d cheer for joy if that meant that Pikachu would be back up to speed character-wise for Gen 9.

And before anyone asks, yes, I even find that Journeys Pikachu sucks battle-wise, as well. EVERY single battle he’s been in so far has been so dull and tedious to get through it’s a miracle I didn’t walk out of the room to take a nap on the couch during his battles. I’ve already said how I don’t like the animations for his battles...everything else just feels repetitive. And when his teammates battle, he doesn’t cheer them on anymore. This is ESPECIALLY irritating when I’m re-watching XY and so far, in EVERY gym battle...Pikachu is seen either battling or showing immense support for his teammates and helping Ash. His role is important-even when he isn’t battling. Remember Olympia’s gym battle? Ignoring the fact that Frogadier and Talonflame are best bros, Pikachu complained about wanting to battle until he got to HELP out. He didn’t mind not battling as long as he could help Ash and his teammates out and that’s what I absolutely ADORE about Pikachu.

I thought something similar would happen in the Iris episode(which ironically, is my only favorite episode from Journeys) but NOPE. He still retains his whiny and unlikable attitude that makes me wonder what happened to the electric mouse that I used to love so much. I miss his relationship with his teammates, I miss his tendency to be the “peacekeeper” and the “team captain”, I miss his leadership tendencies, I miss his wholesome and special relationship with Ash, I miss his actually interesting battles, I miss his important roles in the show, I just miss Pikachu period. Pretty much the only interesting thing I find about Journeys Pikachu is his relationship with Kangaskhan because I find that they made her a good PotD...but that’s it. The only thing I like about Pikachu in this series is ONE SINGLE THING that only showed up in one episode and was never shown again. What was the point in this backstory again? Ohhhh….right. They wanted to make it go viral. Silly me. :cautious:

Honestly, just make an episode where Pikachu disappears for some reason for the rest of the show and I’ll be content. As long as I don’t have to see him until the next gen, I’ll be more happy with each episode that comes out from Journeys. Everything about Journeys Pikachu just frustrates me SO much that at this point, I’m going to skip every episode that gives Pikachu a major role(e.g JN073).

Sorry if this comes out as more whiny and obsessive complaining, but I've been keeping this on my chest for a while now. :bulbaLove:

It's more because how he got the title.

The Alola League was just the writers throwing the bone to him, at last.
Not the best choice, actually, as there weren't any requirements to enter and no full battles either. Like they said, Easy Mode.

And people got rubbed the wrong way by it due to Kalos; according to many, myself included, the one he should have won.

The battle against Kukui doesn't count, because the League was over by then.
It was just an exhibition match.
No requirement was put so everyone can enter and develop more which give us so many amazing moments with Ash's classmates battles while in past leagues Ash's companions was just there as audience, but still writers shown that there are trainers which are more powerful than league trainer with 8 badges, Illima who participated in Kalos league was no match for Guzma and Gladion is even above than Guzma, Gladion is at least more powerful than some League winners like Tyson, Kiawe shown stronger than any random trainer Ash defeated.

Also Ash Vs Kukui was the final test of Ash as the champion just like in games, Tapu Koko was beyond champion challenge, that battle had strong build up since Episode 1 of SM only beaten by Paul which end Ash, Pikachu and Torracat/Incineroar character arc, Ash shown he is same level as other Champions Steven-Diantha, Ash Vs Kukui was the finale of entire SM just like Ash Vs Paul was for DP as both battles was build up for those moments from the beginning of Series.

If Ash lost to Kukui than he would've give up his Champion title as Kukui proven the strongest trainer of a region which is what champion supposed to be and fans would also be angry and called this title useless as Ash lost.

Last edited:
The writers wanted to find a way to have the classmates in there, I accept that.

You are overhyping most of the participants, I take that for Gladion or Guzma. But the rest were just for show and probably doomed in any other League.

They had the Games requirements to enter in the anime, but they messed with the Island Challenge and didn't give it the needed focus.

Kapu Kokeko's involvement was just it being the bloodthirsty and whimsical deity it is. I'd rather have the Pokemon it replaced.

Actually, I'd have preferred if he lost and gave up the title. To avoid this debate entirely.

Back
Top Bottom