• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Speaking of Early Installment Weirdness...I actually always loved that craziness that came in the first season. It honestly felt like the series with the most world-building, yet at the same time, the world it was building was so wacky and out of there, it really solidifies how OS is really remembered well in people's hearts as the series that introduced them to Pokemon. As a first series, it did a pretty good job of establishing all the pokemon and the type of world it was, despite the constant contradictory practices.

Dunno about Controversial but I wish the Anime was like this :giggle:

20210706_170714.png
20210706_170718.jpg
20210706_170721.jpg
20210706_170723.jpg

Source here:
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/87452895

Speaking of Early Installment Weirdness...I actually always loved that craziness that came in the first season. It honestly felt like the series with the most world-building, yet at the same time, the world it was building was so wacky and out of there, it really solidifies how OS is really remembered well in people's hearts as the series that introduced them to Pokemon. As a first series, it did a pretty good job of establishing all the pokemon and the type of world it was, despite the constant contradictory practices.

I still love it because it's cynical as hell. Shudo was a mad lad but he knew how to add a bit of darkness to the world without making it oppressive. I remember the school episode having an old student he kept failing and wouldn't quit because he might shame his family, studying alone because the other kids bullied him. He was shown just once. Or the first SS Anne episode where there three different examples of dubious people swindling others; Team Rocket tricking Ash and friends onto the boat, the Ratticate trainer sweet talking Ash into trading Butterfree, and then the Magikarp salesman. Maybe it's for the best Pokemon isn't like this anymore, but I've come to appreciate Shudo's version of the world which was far from the utopic one we have now and was full of weird and even outright bad people. It made the Pokemon world feel less black and white.

The scenarios were often outlandish and inconsistent, but they were super memorable.

I think it's partly because they didn't give free reign to Shudo. I know executive meddling can be annoying, but sometimes it's for the best...

Kanto Gym Leaders were really crazy, disturbed or lacked common sense.

This can be attributed to the Early Weirdness or Shudou's approach.
The games might have influenced this, too, considering things like Clair or Skyla's gyms.

EDIT: Or it could have been backwards... I just remembered Kanto had the least dangerous gyms in the series...

While the Saffron Gym arc can be considered classic, when put into context with the rest of season 1, it really doesn't make sense. In Showdown at Dark City, it was established that the Pokémon League approves whether a Gym is worthy of operating due to different reasons, and I fail to see why they'd let a person like Sabrina, who basically kidnaps people and runs her own cult, to be a Gym Leader.

The same applies, to a slightly lesser degree, on the Celadon Gym, where its Gym Trainers were guilty of abusing their authority by refusing a challenger's access to their Gym just because said challenger had mocked a product they manufactured. They had basically given an honest challenger the middle finger for a reason completely unrelated to their right to challenge Gyms. If that's not abusing authority, I don't know what is.
For all we know they did inspect the gym, but Sabrina brainwashed the agents into greenlighting her circus of horrors

Standard gym-quest or not, I still would've liked for Gloria to be part of the main cast. I can maybe understand why Selene was in Alola since the main cast was already pretty sizable, but what's Journey's excuse?
Because she wasn't in SwSh if you picked Victor.

May, Dawn, Lyra, and Serena all still had roles in the games even if you picked the Male protagonist to play as. They all appeared in the Anime

Leaf, Hilda, Rosa, Selene and Gloria we're didn't have any role if you played as the Male protagonist so they didn't appear in the Anime.

Kris (Marina) has been the only outliner so far. Even then that was only in a one-shot special that was completely unrelated to the rest of the series

The issue over which Player Character would appear.....

Unpopular opinion.
Despite loving Hikari and her being my favourite companion.....
I'd have loved if they introduced Kouki, or Shigeki to me, as well.

I remember the school episode having an old student he kept failing and wouldn't quit because he might shame his family, studying alone because the other kids bullied him. He was shown just once. Or the first SS Anne episode where there three different examples of dubious people swindling others; Team Rocket tricking Ash and friends onto the boat, the Ratticate trainer sweet talking Ash into trading Butterfree, and then the Magikarp salesman
There’s also that doctor carrying surgical equipment as weapons, the weirdo with the Exeggcute that hypnotized children, those horrible parents from the Kangaskhan episode, a lot of grown men hitting on Misty...

Man, they really were going all out back then.

If there's one thing I like about the Kanto Saga its the various episodes revolving around Japanese holidays. Its a real shame the anime didn't really do any of that for the regions going forward. Not every episodes needs to be action-packed or needs to have the heroes solve some problem, just let them be themselves and embrace the region's culture.

Not to be that guy, but I would've given anything for this instead of the mess JN is.
You have no idea how much I wish we got this instead of Journeys.
Standard gym-quest or not, I still would've liked for Gloria to be part of the main cast. I can maybe understand why Selene wasn't in Alola since the main cast was already pretty sizable, but what's Journey's excuse?
Here's my controversial opinion: I prefer Journeys doing a world tour concept instead of repeating a regional journey for who knows how many-eth time. Gives us a nice change of pace.

Here's my controversial opinion: I prefer Journeys doing a world tour concept instead of repeating a regional journey for who knows how many-eth time. Gives us a nice change of pace.
Tbh I really just wanted to see more of Galar.

There's many interesting characters in Galar yet aside from Raihan and Bea they've all been shafted

Also personally just me but I prefer exploring new areas and Pokemon instead of the same ones we've already seen in other Generation's before

I prefer Journeys doing a world tour concept instead of repeating a regional journey for who knows how many-eth time
I don't think that's too controversial, especially since many were excited at the prospect of travelling all around the world. What's really controversial about this is whether or not you agree with its' execution. Many people don't, which is why people are wishing to go back to the old formula instead. It is rather stale, I agree, but for all intents and purposes it worked, and it worked for a reason, too.

Here? Meh, not so much. World tour works perfectly for an episodic series...too bad there's two plot and goal points, there was a consecutive arc spanning over five episodes straight, and many episodes occur in one place. Really, had there not been a clear, set story-line(whatever that is for Journeys); this series, in my opinion, would have worked much better in terms of structure.

We've had more than one simultaneously driving force for the main cast since Hoenn.
The thing is that AG was the experimental phase and DP, the perfected result.
Then in BW the writers went back to focus on Satoshi's goal exclusively.
And until now with Journeys, no other character's goal has driven the series.
Let's admit it, only Gou's goal has meaning and development.

And I agree with people saying that this series has issues with focus and overall structure of the plot, since the episodes feel disconnected at times and many fillers are uninspired or boring.

We've had more than one simultaneously driving force for the main cast since Hoenn.
...I think you missed my point. From Hoenn to Kalos, it followed the old formula and wasn't episodic, meaning the driving forces were much easier to follow. In Alola, there wasn't really a clear end goal for the series, which honestly made it work better with an episodic style than Journeys. But Journeys...? It's this weird in-between where it's more properly episodic than Alola, yet there are clear driving forces behind the "story" that would work better in the old formula rather than the new.

Back
Top Bottom