• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

They're only memorable because of nostalgia goggles.
That's not even remotely true. Dismissing people's opinion of the Kanto team being memorable as simply "nostalgia goggles" is really disingenuous to other factors, such as being attracted to their personalities, roles in episodes, and dynamics with each other. Honestly, in my opinion, the Kanto team is five hundred times better than whatever the hell the Journeys team is.

And most importantly, they had life to them (well, mostly) whereas if I wear to step away and snap my finger which would cause nearly all his Journeys team to disappear (except Dragonite, that thing is too precious) I would barely remember most of them.

And I can't even do the finger snapping, the best you'd hear from me is the scraping of my fingernails.

They're only memorable because of nostalgia goggles. Just like the alleged friendship between Bulbasaur and Squirtle.
Nostalgia goggles? Are you serious? Kanto may not have been the best when it came to battles but the characterization was on point. We had moments like the Pikachu’s conversation with Caterpie on their first night together already expressing its desire to grow without even a word of English, episodes like The Island of the Giant Pokémon which showed off the Pokémon’s personalities away from the humans (and one of the earliest points that showed Bulbasaur and Squirtle’s dynamic), really any moment that the Squirtle squad glasses came out with Squirtle expressing its pride, Bulbasaur not bowing down to the peer pressure to evolve when it wasn’t ready, Butterfree finding love and the tearful goodbye from it, Ash and Pikachu almost dying to a flock of Spearow and Pikachu coming to return Ash’s friendship when he gave his all to keep it safe, Ash freezing in an ice cave and his Pokémon coming out on their own to keep each other warm in spite of the danger, Ash staying up all night to unfreeze Charizard even as it was harming his own body to do so and in turn reigniting his bond with it. That’s not nostalgia goggles, that’s genuine heart and soul that’s put into the writing and character work, something the Journeys sorely lacks.

Nostalgia goggles? Are you serious? Kanto may not have been the best when it came to battles but the characterization was on point. We had moments like the Pikachu’s conversation with Caterpie on their first night together already expressing its desire to grow without even a word of English, episodes like The Island of the Giant Pokémon which showed off the Pokémon’s personalities away from the humans (and one of the earliest points that showed Bulbasaur and Squirtle’s dynamic), really any moment that the Squirtle squad glasses came out with Squirtle expressing its pride, Bulbasaur not bowing down to the peer pressure to evolve when it wasn’t ready, Butterfree finding love and the tearful goodbye from it, Ash and Pikachu almost dying to a flock of Spearow and Pikachu coming to return Ash’s friendship when he gave his all to keep it safe, Ash freezing in an ice cave and his Pokémon coming out on their own to keep each other warm in spite of the danger, Ash staying up all night to unfreeze Charizard even as it was harming his own body to do so and in turn reigniting his bond with it. That’s not nostalgia goggles, that’s genuine heart and soul that’s put into the writing and character work, something the Journeys sorely lacks.
You just read my mind, lol. And this honestly isn't even mentioning half of it. Pikachu and Charizard had actual development in regards to their friendship, while Bulbasaur and Squirtle helped show different sides to each other each time they interacted. Butterfree had a friendship with Pikachu and Pidgeot, despite not interacting with any of them, still managed to have a strong character trait in that it was extremely loyal to Ash. I'd like to emphasis this specifically as its release episode was specifically about its loyalty trait, a trait which stands out among the Kanto squad since at the time, Ash didn't fully have all his pokemon's respect. He earned Pikachu's trust, yes, but didn't fully earn Pikachu's respect until time passed. Ash literally had an entire arc dedicated to earning the respect of Charizard. Bulbasaur and Squirtle were shown to still not have respect for Ash in Island of the Giant Pokemon, and you can clearly see as time goes on that their feelings were starting to change. Butterfree was a pokemon who just wanted to be loved, and Ash understood that. Pidgeot was the pokemon who, above all the others, was not only loyal, but was fiercely loyal.

Pidgeot may have had the least amount of personality out of this team, but in my opinion, its still far more memorable than Ash's Journeys team. Hell, I'd even put Pidgeot over some of Ash's other pokemon in other sagas as well. Loyalty and determination are two common traits of Ash's pokemon, and were first emphasized in Pidgeot of all pokemon. This isn't to say his other Kanto pokemon didn't show these traits, because they did, but with Pidgeot, it was actually emphasized and addressed for a reason-to further show the divide between Ash and Charizard. And I find that to be more interesting than Sirfetch'd's ridiculously rushed development.

Squirtle was a tough guy who used to be the leader of a gang of trouble-making squirtle who had been abandoned by their trainers. He was touched by Ash's determination to save Pikachu and defend his squad, which was the reason why he ended up saving him. Squirtle had a bonding session with Pikachu during the Flame Pokemon-athon episode as they both participated-and got knocked out-in a race together. He fought with Charmander and Bulbasaur, yelled at Pikachu for shocking him(along with Ash), and had a sweet goodbye with Bulbasaur in Bulbasaur...The Ambassador.

Bulbasaur is a serious and no-nonsense pokemon who helped care for many injured, mistreated, and abandoned pokemon in the hidden village. Bulbasaur cares about other pokemon and those close to him. He has a bond with Squirtle and weirdly enough tends to act immature around the other members of the Kanto team, butting heads with them on occasion. He slowly grows to respect Ash over time and becomes one of Ash's most reliable pokemon. He's a diplomat and often tries to find the calm way out of situation, and has garnered the respect of other pokemon.

Butterfree was the first pokemon Ash had ever captured and not only had a fun and friendly personality, but also had the trait of just wanting to be loved. Yup, you heard it right here and proper-it wasn't Greninja who was the first to just want love-it was Ash's very first capture. It wanted to evolve into a Butterfree and was very determined to save the one he fell in love with. Butterfree took Team Rocket's snide comments as a Caterpie and took down their pokemon with a String Shot and a Tackle. Butterfree had a close friendship with Pikachu, which honestly makes sense as they were Ash's first pokemon and capture respectively. Overall, Butterfree suffered from a lack of self-esteem, which didn't stop him from trying his best at whatever he did.

And this isn't even talking about Charizard or Pikachu yet-the pokemon that got the most focus in the Kanto-OI saga. Those two have a bond with each other, Pikachu formed a bond with all of them, Charizard butt heads with everyone before making up with them, and overall they just have strong and interesting dynamics that honestly in my opinion cannot be topped by any other team. Hell, remember when Brock yelled at Charmander? When Misty-the ever lovable hypocrite-furthered Caterpie's self esteem issues by saying it was disgusting despite having self-esteem problems herself? These pokemon were treated like actual parts of the cast, despite their limited appearances.

Had the Journeys team been as memorable as these pokemon, then maybe I would've given them a chance, but as it is, they're all super boring, dull, and I don't see why I should care. One has an overdone backstory solved within the span of one episode, one has traits that would lead you to think they'd interact more with other pokemon but don't and still had their story solved within the span of one episode, one has literally one character trait and the only thing special about them is they're a never seen before pokemon, one has a still yet to be solved Chekov's Gun in their department and honestly has very little substance, one had rushed development that was very out of place and honestly was very uninteresting to watch, and one is out of character to the point where you want to leave the room anytime they're on screen. Guess which one's which.

Honestly, Journeys is my least favorite team of all time. Even the Johto team was more interesting to watch than this.

That's not even remotely true. Dismissing people's opinion of the Kanto team being memorable as simply "nostalgia goggles" is really disingenuous to other factors, such as being attracted to their personalities, roles in episodes, and dynamics with each other.
If you can call his current team, which I like, as "rental pokémon" and it's not a problem, then I can connect Kanto team's alleged memorability to nostalgia, which, I believe, truly the case. There is barely any interaction between them, much less character dynamic, especially if we take the first 80 episodes.

One has an overdone backstory solved within the span of one episode,
Gengar
one has traits that would lead you to think they'd interact more with other pokemon but don't and still had their story solved within the span of one episode,
Dragonite?
one has literally one character trait and the only thing special about them is they're a never seen before pokemon,
Dracovish?
one has a still yet to be solved Chekov's Gun in their department and honestly has very little substance,
Lucario?
one had rushed development that was very out of place and honestly was very uninteresting to watch,
Sirfetch'd?
and one is out of character to the point where you want to leave the room anytime they're on screen. Guess which one's which.
Pikachu
Honestly, Journeys is my least favorite team of all time. Even the Johto team was more interesting to watch than this.
I agree

If you can call his current team, which I like, as "rental pokémon" and it's not a problem, then I can connect Kanto team's alleged memorability to nostalgia, which, I believe, truly the case. There is barely any interaction between them, much less character dynamic, especially if we take the first 80 episodes.
1. When did I call Ash's Journeys team "rental pokemon"?
2. Did you just ignore my entire post before this? Nostalgia is not the only reason people have for liking the Kanto team and claiming as such doesn't make much sense.
3. "If we take the first 80 episodes" then the Journeys team has ten times less interaction than the Kanto squad.

When did I call Ash's Journeys team "rental pokemon"
Mixed up you with Kuro because you answered my answer to them. Sorry.
"If we take the first 80 episodes" then the Journeys team has ten times less interaction than the Kanto squad.
Journey has no 80 episodes yet.
2. Did you just ignore my entire post before this? Nostalgia is not the only reason people have for liking the Kanto team and claiming as such doesn't make much sense.
I'm not seeing it. Like what made Pidgeotto so loyal? Why is Gengar's story is criticized for being "overdone" as if being done it first made Charmander better than it?

All previous series had at least tried to develop dynamics between Satoshi's Pokemon in less episodes than the point where Journeys is now.

We're almost near that mark and those Pokemon feel very disjointed.
I even said that they didn't even come as teammates or coworkers.

...it has seventy eight. If you want to talk about actual numbers, then yes, the Kanto team still has more interaction with one another than the Journeys team within the first 78 episodes. List their interactions so far and I can guarantee the Kanto squad has more.
I'm not seeing it.
Even if you don't see it, it's still not fair to cross off the opinion of liking the Kanto squad as "nostalgia goggles", which is what I am trying to get you to understand. Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean others don't and if you like the Journeys team, then great, I'm glad you do and I'm sure others do as well. But just as you might get defensive at the Journeys team being called "rental pokemon", others will get defensive at you assuming the Kanto team is ONLY liked because of "nostalgia goggles"-whatever that even MEANS.
There is barely any interaction between them, much less character dynamic
Yeah, for Journeys. But if you see something in them I don't then I'll stop here, as long as you don't assume "liking Kanto team=only liking it for nostalgia". There is plenty more interaction between the Kanto team than the Journeys team-and that's less debatable than character dynamics because that's literally just numbers.

But just as you might get defensive at the Journeys team being called "rental pokemon", others will get defensive at you assuming the Kanto team is ONLY liked because of "nostalgia goggles"-whatever that even MEANS.
Saying something is "nostalgia goggles" is saying people only like something more than newer things because they were younger when they experienced it. It's often used to refer to living conditions/culture but also internet arguments over movies and video games.
Everything related to the first two generations of Pokémon get hit with it a lot.

Not really controversial since a lot of people disliked BW because Ash was basically reset and he never really trained his Pokemon.

Controversial opinion: Alain is a Gary Stu and he was unbelievably overpowered.
I mean, I actually think quite a few people felt that way about Alain, I know I did at certain points in XYZ. Now, I love Charizard and always will, but even I thought Alain's Charizard was just a bit too powerful sometimes. Because for all my love of Charizard, it's not unbeatable. There's a reason some people called Alain's Mega Charizard X Hypezard X instead. It just felt like it was unbeatable sometimes. I know Alain was a very strong trainer and all, but he kind of felt like a writer's pet sometimes.

I know Alain was a very strong trainer and all, but he kind of felt like a writer's pet sometimes.
I read once--but I'm not sure if this was confirmed or just a theory--that Alain was supposed to represent the older fanbase who'd stuck with the franchise since day 1. Hence the Charizard, being a bit older, etc. In an amusing coincidence GameFreak would do that in the games with Leon just a few years later...meaning the anime had two of those characters not far apart, both with a super strong Charizard, both as major rivals Ash didn't/likely won't overcome.

(There are also the theories Ash was intended to beat Alain but it was changed late in development for whatever reasons, and Alain being OP was an accident).

Last edited:
Everything related to the first two generations of Pokémon get hit with it a lot.
This actually reminds me of another controversial opinion I have, but I really hate when people who have OS as their favorite series or Misty as their favorite Poke Girl are typically dismissed as being "blinded by nostalgia" or being a "genwunner". I mean, think about it for a moment. There's a lot more to OS than nostalgia that makes people like it more than other series, especially considering how unique it was as well. Sure, it has its fair share of problems regarding...a lot of things, actually, but there's positives to it too and it's rather sad that some people don't see it.

Like just off the top of my head: the Kanto team has strong dynamics with each other, Ash grew and developed as a character, Pikachu and Charizard received interesting character arcs respectively, the Team Rocket we love today wouldn't have been born without this series fleshing out each of their backstories, the early filler episodes are fun, unique, and memorable, the main trio have nice dynamics with each other and Team Rocket as well, the cynical take on the world in OS might appeal to more people as well, and many of its characters are incredibly memorable. Not to mention its fascinating world-building: may I remind everyone that this was the series that lay the groundwork for the years to come? Ash was also a more believable character at this time, before he transformed into the iconic hero Sinnoh onward, as he was literally just a ten year old bratty kid with a lot to learn and an extreme love for pokemon.

In terms of quality, I'd personally say OS is definitely down there, but that doesn't mean people can't favor it over other series because of it. For all its flaws, OS honestly feels like a "so bad it's good" type of series, and I don't see anything wrong with favoring something like that.

(There are also the theories Ash was intended to beat Alain but it was changed late in development for whatever reasons, and Alain being OP was an accident).
I also believe that that was the case, that's why I felt vibes of a triumph during XYZ.
While now I don't mind how everything turned out, it was upsetting at the moment.

I never understood why label that as nostalgia.
Even if my favourite series is DP/XY or the Pokegirl I like the most is Hikari. The OS episodes were very good and it has most of my favourite fillers.

Edit: Though, I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring past series than Journeys.

Last edited:
Edit: Though, I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring past series than Journeys.
Honestly, I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring Journeys over past series either. In all essence, it actually is a pretty good show for its target audience and is better than some other ones that have recently popped up on my radar. Not to mention its dub is arguably the best out of all the series. Seriously, the actors actually sound like they're putting effort into their work. I remember in my re-watch of XY I switched to subs at some point because trying to guess whether or not Clemont was being sarcastic over certain statements was beginning to get a little grating...at least Journeys makes the characters sound excited when excited and sad when they're sad and don't contradict their statements with the way they execute it.

Actually, I feel there is another reason the original series has a special feeling for a lot of older viewers, but this one actually is related to nostalgia and is something that can't really be recreated today.
At the time there was no guarantee there would be more--a number of us watched the various Mario cartoons, or the Zelda one, or the various toy-based cartoons and did not really expect this series to go on even a tiny fraction as long as it has.
Up until near the end of Johto we had no idea the gang would break up one day, that most of Ash's Pokémon would basically retire, and that his story would stretch onto infinity. I think a lot of us assumed Kanto (and then later Johto) would end with Ash defeating Gary and becoming Champion. That's what most fanfics that took place later seemed to assume would happen.

Nowadays you know Ash's friends will go their separate ways and apparently not really stay in contact, his Pokémon will basically stop appearing outside cameos, and his character arc won't really make long-term advancement.
Obviously a lot of people still enjoy the new series' and characters but I suspect it does change how you watch it.

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring Journeys over past series either. In all essence, it actually is a pretty good show for its target audience and is better than some other ones that have recently popped up on my radar. Not to mention its dub is arguably the best out of all the series.
Agreed, compared to other recent kodomo animes.
But when compared to those that have aired for many years:
Like anything from Fujiko Fujio, especially Doraemon, or Nintama Rantarou; Journeys is rather mediocre.

That's where we differ. I hadn't watched any dub and never will.
Many things get lost in the translation, or the dubbers attempt to do their own dialogue and fail.

Back
Top Bottom