• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

As I said, Kanto was only focusing Satoshi's team, isn't it normal?
Go's Pokémon aren’t being treated better than Kanto companions. Cinderace and Drizzile outclassed Charizard in "rushed evolution" and the Sakuragi Dome Pokémon just replaced the PotD.

And no, such drastic reduction in the screentime of the main cast Pokemon of a show called Pokémon isn’t normal.

Cinderace and Drizzile outclassed Charizard in "rushed evolution"
At least Charizard evolving fast was supossed to be (and it was!) a plot point and was only solved MANY eps later and had good development and a nice payoff.

In Raboot's and Drizzile's cases, it just was done like that because they got desesperate to have a Cinderace and an Inteleon on the main cast as fast as possible.

Don't know how controversial this might be, but something I really like from the 4Kids' days are the CDs with original songs they produced back in the days. I still enjoy listening to Pikachu's Jukebox and Pokemon Karaokemon, both have some very excellent songs imo (there's a strong nostalgia factor in there though). How come they've never produced anything again after early-Jouto (after dropping Karaokemon)?

One thing that I dread when I watch the original version of those early episodes is the absence of those bits.

Don't know how controversial this might be, but something I really like from the 4Kids' days are the CDs with original songs they produced back in the days. I still enjoy listening to Pikachu's Jukebox and Pokemon Karaokemon, both have some very excellent songs imo (there's a strong nostalgia factor in there though). How come they've never produced anything again after early-Jouto (after dropping Karaokemon)?

One thing that I dread when I watch the original version of those early episodes is the absence of those bits.
I think there was a distinct appreciation and love for music prior to TCPi being a thing for the anime, and sadly it hasn't been replicated or entertained since.

I like pokémon live songs.
Go's Pokémon aren’t being treated better than Kanto companions.
I completely disagree. We've got many episodes that focus on Gou's pokémon. After their captures, Satoshi's Kanto team barely got any episodes to themselves.

After their captures, Satoshi's Kanto team barely got any episodes to themselves.
I feel like it says something that despite the terribly handling of Goh's starters, the only thing that can apparently top it is back during a time when they were experimenting with literally every single aspect of the show. And if we're just comparing the starters, Grookey only appeared sixty episodes into the saga and has yet to do anything significant, Inteleon got incredibly rushed development, and where the hell did Cindercae go and what even was its development?

Even if you can somehow argue that Journeys is treating its pokemon better than Kanto did, there's still Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola, which you can't even begin to top-especially Hoenn. Journeys definitely is at the bottom when it comes to making the world feel like both humans and pokemon play important roles.

Also, also, quality over quantity. The little focus the Kanto pokemon got was good and gave great insight into their characters and roles with their trainers. The little focus the Journeys pokemon get does...???

Even if you can somehow argue that Journeys is treating its pokemon better than Kanto did, there's still Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola, which you can't even begin to top-especially Hoenn. Journeys definitely is at the bottom when it comes to making the world feel like both humans and pokemon play important roles.

I'm not gonna give my opinion towards PM2019 since I'm not keeping up with this series, even though I've seen someone (I think it was martianmister?) saying that Satoshi's Uonoragon appeared in only 2 episodes after its capture, so I can totally see your point.

Anyway Kanto did a good treatment of Satoshi's starters (and Pikachi, of course) only iirc. Butterfree had very little focus and barely had any battles before it was released. Pidgeon was used mostly to blast Trio away, and it didn't have that much of a personality as well. Crab, Betbeton, Okorizaru and the 30 Kentauros don't need any mention.

Isshu was also terrible for the reserves, Gamagaru had a total of just 5 appearances after its capture, four of them for battling only.

I legitimately miss theses days. TPCI hasn't even tried to replicate this. Music is one department TPCI has failed dramatically in with the poor decision to replace music featured in the original with the dullest music possible. I just miss those days when the music had some heart and soul. The days of Together Forever, 2 B A Master, You and Me and Pokemon, and better dub music.

I won't ever get why it took 60 eps for Grookey to appear. Regardless of how it's treated in the anime or how loved it is by each individual fan: no starter should take this long to appear.

And it showed up this late and 20 eps later is yet to do anything... which is pitiful by JN's part.

And it showed up this late and 20 eps later is yet to do anything... which is pitiful by JN's part.
This is honestly one of the more weirder aspects of Journeys for me. The pokemon feel so irrelevant and unimportant it's very hard to care about them when they're actually given a role or an episode. Hell, even if some pokemon in the past didn't get episodes, they still got to be treated as a part of the cast as they were characters as well! Most of the mons are pushed to the background, Goh's pokemon essentially fall into the roles of CotD's or occasional recurring characters with very little substance in them, and the pokemon that has gotten the most focus episodes in Journeys has added literally nothing of value to the narrative one way or another. That is the level we're at.

I know it's been said like several hundred thousand times already, but to be fair, it is kind of ridiculous as to how little the pokemon feel like characters. Pikachu, Eevee, and Grookey feel like pets at this point, every other of Goh's pokemon that aren't the starters are literally background fodder, Yamper has been completely forgotten(seriously, wth happened to it???), and Ash's Journeys team is the most underdeveloped team to date-many even consider it to be the worst. Journeys feels like it honestly only has two types of pokemon: The Ash's Oshawott and The Ash's Palpitoad.

Ash's Unova team, besides Krookodile and Pignite, has literally the worst league performance out of any team. It doesn't help at all that they only had time for 3 battles total, which wasn't enough considering Ash had 10 Pokemon total for Unova....And its ridiculous that they only had 3 battles considering they easily could have had him have a full battle against Virgil andthey wasted one episode for a pointless filler.
What makes it even WORSE though is they rushed it for Team Plasma and then they still had enough episodes left for a filler series... the league could have been put after Team Plasma, that way we'd have got a much longer league.

I also don't like how the anime chose to ignore most B2W2 content outside of the Gyms, Colress and a Pokéstar movie. I would have loved to have seen Join Avenue and especially PWT!

Then again, BW at its worst is still better than Journies.

Last edited:
This may be really controversial, but I would prefer if Paul didn’t show up in the PWC. I feel like it would be amazing, but that hype will hinder it. Their storyline has already come full circle, anything added on top will never surpass the previous instalment; the expectations will never be satisfied, meaning there’s only room to be slightly disappointed in it.

I would much rather see Tobias given some background and rematch, where there’s room to develop an area, rather than expanding needlessly onto something that’s complete.

This may be really controversial, but I would prefer if Paul didn’t show up in the PWC. I feel like it would be amazing, but that hype will hinder it. Their storyline has already come full circle, anything added on top will never surpass the previous instalment; the expectations will never be satisfied, meaning there’s only room to be slightly disappointed in it.

I would much rather see Tobias given some background and rematch, where there’s room to develop an area, rather than expanding needlessly onto something that’s complete.
Honestly? I'd rather more Galar Gym Leaders show up. The writers are dead-set against showing much of Galar and that includes the new Pokémon. Why else would Dracovish and Sirfetch'd suddenly vanish? The only exception are the starters and even then one doesn't do anything and the other is gone.

I gotta admit: I'm absolutely terrified of Paul returning because I know there's a royal chance of JN screwing him up. Guy has to be, at least imo (and I guess that's another potentially controversial opinion that I have), one of the best written characters of this entire anime. And just like you said: there's not a lot to add to his character anymore. He's one of the only characters in this anime that had a completed, full circle, well-rounded story line. No way they can top DP at this point. And Ash and Paul have both ''finished'' (so to speak) their rivalry and we saw the impact they had on each other already. It's all said and done and I don't see the point to reopen a closed door.

I prefer for him not to appear. Especially considering the shitty writting we are getting rn.

Last edited:
As someone who likes Cinderace, it actually bothers me when people say Grookey and Inteleon are impeding on Cinderace's screentime.

While yes, I do agree Cinderace deserves more screentime, I don't think it's Grookey or Inteleon's fault for the Bunny not getting proper attention.

Grookey took 60 episodes to debut and Inteleon literally just got here after being completely shafted throughout it's Mid-Stage

At least Cinderace got plenty of screentime in its previous stages.

Yet I see people complain about Grookey hogging screentime and I also saw people complaining about Goh wearing an Inteleon costume ON A POSTER for goodness sake.

Grookey and Inteleon did nothing wrong

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom