• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

It genuinely frustrates me when I see people complain about how the pokemon anime is geared towards children. Like, yeah, it always has? Why is this such a bad thing? Pokemon has always been, first and foremost, an anime that is directed towards young children about ten-year-old forming bonds with magical creatures with personalities and goals. The older audience really shouldn't be complaining that the show isn't "growing up" because it's not for them. Complaining about writing issues, I'll understand, because generally those that are older will have a better eye for noticing writing mistakes in children's shows than the children themselves; which would obviously be beneficial in some manner as it establishes the quality of the show itself. But whining because Ash isn't growing up or there isn't romance in this show or they aren't tackling edgy subjects like betrayal just feels so out of place in an anime where they beat a big bad by the power of friendship and holding their hands to the sky. If you don't like the show in which you aren't remotely a part of the target demographic, then stick to pointing out writing issues or things that you think might help the anime in the long run, not the fact that Ash doesn't have a girlfriend or whatever people think would make the anime more "mature".

If you ask me, "mature" is tackling subjects like death in a way the children will understand, like what they did with Litten and Stoutland in SM and Mallow's mother in SM. "Mature" is Dawn's arc of overcoming her depression about her losing streak. "Mature" is Infernape overcoming his literal PTSD. Iris's backstory, N's backstory, Serena's whole "coming of age" arc, the backstories given to the TRio, and a whole bunch of other things that are all touched upon in the anime and are integrated very well into a show for kids. None of this distracted from the light-hearted nature of the show, but gave a look into things that might give the audience insight into the real world, which I personally think is a good move.

There are other animes aimed at children that deal with deeper topics better or doesn't pull their punches when needed.
Some of them even tackle romance.

Anipoke started with the intent to appeal not only children, but their parents as well.
That's why Kanto had a different, and sometimes darker, vibe than the rest of the anime.

I love Kanto but I wouldn't say it handled mature subject matter any better than modern Pokemon does. It's view of the world was more cynical and less utopic, but I can't think of a moment where it seriously tackled the issue of death and loss, whereas Sun and Moon did on at least three separate occasions.

Besides, there're multiple ways to broach these topics. You can go the Digimon Tamers route and bash people in the face with the harsher realities of the world and put a more primal spin on the Digimon themselves. Or you can go the Pokemon route and soften the edges while still acknowledging the issues and effects they have on people. Both are valid approaches. The former will be well-received by people who like darker material, but it's not inherently superior for being darker in tone.

The tougher question is: does Pokemon need to tackle mature subject matter at all? Us older viewers might enjoy it because we seek meatier stories that better reflect our life experiences, but I think Pokemon should address issues pertinent to children of the modern era. The way they're handling Goh and Chloe are good examples of this. They don't have to show us Goh having an anxiety attack for us to understand his shyness around strangers prevents him from stepping out his comfort zone, nor does Chloe need to have an existential crisis for us to understand she's unsure about what she wants to do in the face of external expectation she follow her dad's profession. These are issues kids can understand but at the same time adults can also relate to even if its presented in a kind and friendly way.

There's always a tendency to conflate darkness with maturity, when in reality darkness is just one part of it.

I don't hate that Ash is gonna get a Mega Ring and Lucario will be getting a Mega Stone. I truly don't. But at the same time tho, I just... find it hard to care, you know?

It's just that this series has done such a terrible job at making me interested in Ash's team that it's just ''whatever'' to me. He's only getting it now, years after XY ended, he's also getting a Mega Lucario, who is arguably the most overused Mega Evolution (maybe par Mega Charizard X which I guess it's another debate on it's own tbh) so it's not something we haven't seen before, and I personally don't really care for Ash's Lucario enough to be excited.

Ash's JN team is probably his most interesting in raw form but at the same time it's prob the most boring to me. The show doesn't makes me care about his team enough, to the point where anything falls flat from there on.

Well, good for him I guess???

Children may be the target audience but Anipoke is still too cheery than other fellow Kodomo long-running anime.

Nintama Rantarou, the longest one, deals with battles and wars often and it's even stated that one of its protagonists lost his parents in one.
They have shown battlefields, even corpses, including delving into black comedy, and a long array of weapons, matchlocks too.
The young characters use and are targetted by those, they get injured both for comedy and seriously.
They had recurrent crushes on the Kunoichi, whom don't fear to use their charms against them pretty often.

Next we have anything from Fujiko Fujio.
Romance is omnipresent in their works, children there can develop crushes or act guided by or on romantic feelings.
Nobita's Love Life is an important aspect of Doraemon, many stories revolve around that.
Other topics like death, loss, nostalgia, tragedy or horror are pretty common.
There's also the tendency of their main characters turning vindictive when wronged. Sometimes going too far and commiting unsavoury acts.

Regarding Kanto, keyword is 'Intent'
Nowhere I said that they succeeded.
Trying is one thing, but achieve is another matter.
Still that different tone sets it apart from the rest.

Last edited:
Journeys started off with the writers giving Ash all of the most iconic Pokemon he didn't own yet regardless of Generation. Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario... Then they just... Stopped. They filled out the last 2 spots with the most random Gen 8 choices and as much as I love Dracovish, it just feels very inconsistent and awkward in my opinion. I'm not opposed to the idea of Ash getting rid of his Galar mons in favor of more iconic ones, and I'm not even against the idea of Ash giving Dracovish to Goh, seeing as it's one of a kind and Goh wants to get every Pokemon.

Perhaps they could do it as part of a trade where Ash gets a Rhydon or something Goh caught in return. Just throwing names here, I know Rhydon isn't very "Iconic" in the traditional sense but it does have some legacy as being the first Pokemon and all.

As for Farfetch'd, they could just have Ash release it so it can protect a horde of dangerously endangared Kantonian Fartfetch'd or something, which I think would be a worthy send-off for him and fitting of his character arc, leaving his life behind to fulfill his knightly duty as a protector for the helpless.

Though if it were completely up to me, I'd just give Ash one Pokemon from each of the first 7 Generations since Kanto is getting enough attention already.
Not hating on Gen 8 or anything (well...) but I think Goh having all 3 Starters is already good Gen 8 Main Cast representation, and I'm completely in favor of Goh having a full main Gen 8 Team with 6 Galar mons instead of the 3 he currently has in his main team.

Last edited:
Maybe a Rowlet, to promote Hisui? We need a decent Rowlet in the anime.
Probably Kubfu. And after that I can see them giving him a Toxel as a shoulder pet, thoigh I absolutely despise the idea of a Toxel being in the main cast, seeing as every Pokemon currently in the main cast has a personality that is completely centered around the same ideas as their design, except for maybe Eevee.

There are other animes aimed at children that deal with deeper topics better or doesn't pull their punches when needed.
Some of them even tackle romance.

Anipoke started with the intent to appeal not only children, but their parents as well.
That's why Kanto had a different, and sometimes darker, vibe than the rest of the anime.
I feel like XY was made to appeal to teenagers and adults as well

Probably Kubfu. And after that I can see them giving him a Toxel as a shoulder pet, thoigh I absolutely despise the idea of a Toxel being in the main cast, seeing as every Pokemon currently in the main cast has a personality that is completely centered around the same ideas as their design, except for maybe Eevee.
I don't think Kubfu is gonna join the main cast, seeing how that Pokemon's entire point is mastering one of two fighting styles, and since recurring characters Tsurugi and Asahi already have both Urshifu forms, there's really no point in any of the main characters getting it either unless the hypothetical MC Kubfu stays unevolved, which like I said would be anathema to its entire theme.

Toxel is more likely to join the main cast, but if it does it won't remain a shoulder pet forever for pretty similar reasons to Kubfu. Not to mention the Toxtricity forms are FAR more popular than Toxel.

Toxel is more likely to join the main cast, but if it does it won't remain a shoulder pet forever for pretty similar reasons to Kubfu. Not to mention the Toxtricity forms are FAR more popular than Toxel.
I don't know how are they going to make it work......

Erezun is a very demanding Pokemon and I won't like seeing a baby getting neglected or spoiled.

The thing with Strinder is that there are two forms, one won't get any relevant exposure in this scenario.

I don't think Kubfu is gonna join the main cast, seeing how that Pokemon's entire point is mastering one of two fighting styles, and since recurring characters Tsurugi and Asahi already have both Urshifu forms, there's really no point in any of the main characters getting it either unless the hypothetical MC Kubfu stays unevolved, which like I said would be anathema to its entire theme.
It could be a Lycanroc situation. Besides, of course it will evolve, and does it really matter which form? If you really care about this, they could just give the other form to Mustard, and have 2 Single-Strike Urshifus and 2 Rapid-Style Urshifus in the anime.
Of course it wouldn't remind a shoulder mon forever, just like Scorbunny, Sobble, Riolu and probably Grookey if it ever decides to do anything. Or not, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they had Grookey evolve without using a single move. Goh switches between Shoulder Pets like a- Actually, I don't wanna say it because he's 10.

And like with Urshifu, if you REALLY care about having both forms they could just give the other Toxtricity to Jessie or Gary or something.

I don't know how are they going to make it work......

Erezun is a very demanding Pokemon and I won't like seeing a baby getting neglected or spoiled.
That's exactly why I don't want it to join the main cast, because its personality will be identical to the one it has in the games, and I don't wanna see a small purple Caillou have an annoying tantrum and cry over something tiny every episode. Sobble's gag was bad enough but Toxel's would be on a whole other level.

It could be a Lycanroc situation. Besides, of course it will evolve, and does it really matter which form? If you really care about this, they could just give the other form to Mustard, and have 2 Single-Strike Urshifus and 2 Rapid-Style Urshifus in the anime.
I don't think Urshifu is gonna get a third form, though. Not only have we not seen any hints of it, but currently TPCi's marketing is centered around the upcoming Sinnoh games, meaning Galar is more than likely done with new stuff.

That aside, all of this is assuming Mustard will even appear in the anime or will even own an Urshifu at all if he does. I do suspect that he's connected to project Mew somehow, since Tsurugi and Ashahi's unifroms resemble the ones of his dojo, so maybe they got their Urshifus from him? Still, I don't think that necessarily means anything for Kubfu joining the main cast.

Kubfu is a mon that doesn't even makes sense for Goh because it's the textbook definition of a fighter, something that Goh is not. So they would have to either leave it unevolved to stay as a shoulder mon, which, as you said, completely breaks the entire theme of the line, or delegate it's development to Sobble-style ''it trains away from Goh off-screen!" which I don't ever wanna see again for obvious reasons.

Besides, while I'm aware that Urshifu is not a legendary in the levels of say, Xerneas and Lugia, reducing a Legendary Pokémon into a shoulder mon is definitely... a choice.

(Btw, this is pretty off-topic, I know, but what are Tsurugi's and Asahi's english names? Were they announced yet?)

Last edited:
I feel like XY was made to appeal to teenagers and adults as well
I think that's also why I liked XY more. XY was more in the image of an action heavy shonen style anime than previous series and I enjoyed it more because of it. It needed some fine tuning in some ways, but I think it worked in some ways.

Back
Top Bottom