• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

This one I've been thinking about for a while, recently....

Despite loving Hikari, she's the best companion. Aka Coprotagonist.
I'd rather have Kouki instead of her, the poor lad is the most neglected Playable Character ever.

Victor got to appear in Twilight Wings multiple times, that's more than what can be said for Lucas or Nate, Rosa and Hilda

At least Nate, Rosa and Hilda are all playable in Pokemon Masters EX, both Victor and Lucas have not even appeared in the game yet.

At least there's the excuse of the slow rollout of Galar characters for Victor not appearing yet, Lucas is just... not there for some reason. I agree with Unireon here, Lucas is way more neglected than any other playable character.

Also, with the DP remakes being the way they are, there might not even be a Pokemon Adventures Arc for those games, meaning that Diamond (Lucas' counterpart) and the other Gen IV protagonists might miss out on returning.

They may have confused Victor's appearance in the first episode of Pokemon Evolutions with a TW episode.
I thought Victor and Gloria popped in at the end of it?

Though real talk, I absolutely hate how they refuse to just show the player characters for the most part. Victor got lucky in Evolution's, though you didn't see him for long. Selene in the 2nd episode was barely shown, and they never showed her face.

I actually like it when the anime focuses more on the pokemon than the people. Before Journeys, I would've said that the anime needed to add more development to the pokemon because to me-at the time-it just didn't feel like the pokemon got as much as the humans did, and received the lower end of the stick in terms of the narrative. For instance, Ash-Greninja. I'm not a fan of this plot-line, but I was seriously bummed that Greninja wasn't the main focus during this arc. I know it was about Ash and Greninja working together, but it still felt like Greninja got pushed to the side there, which was probably why his personality felt like it disappeared in XYZ. Pikachu is literally the secondary protagonist of the show-its kind of ridiculous all he's been used for is battles(and its particular egregious during SM and JN-the latter especially). Most of Ash's regional birds didn't get any character arcs, Talonflame is just one example of a pokemon's personality being dropped after its introduction, relationships like Hawlucha and Noivern are introduced late into the narrative when it could've been introduced far earlier, and majority of the arcs pokemon get is either evolution or getting stronger. It's why I loved arcs like Charizard's(overcoming its laziness), Pikachu's(overcoming his cowardice and bad attitude), Bayleef's(overcoming her lack of boundaries and her jealousy), Sceptile's(overcoming his issues with getting dumped), and Sylveon's(overcoming her incredibly shyness). I'm not saying any of the arcs the pokemon have gotten are bad, because that isn't entirely true in my opinion. But I would like to see more variety in them that emphasizes how much pokemon are equals to humans in the pokemon world.

Alas, this opinion will never again see the light of day considering how the current series can't even be bothered to give the pokemon proper characterization. Would it seriously kill them to do this??? My standards were higher than this before-see above-yet now I cheer for joy when I see two pokemon interacting with each other in any capacity, even if it's only for a few seconds. Before, I was wishing for pokemon to get more arcs focused on overcoming their character flaws, but now, I just want them to get one single episode to themselves. Had I not have written this opinion down before Journeys first aired, I would've forgotten I thought this entirely.

Last edited:
This is something that came up in a preview thread, and I figured would fit better here:

Goh doesn't deserves nor needs a Mega Ring.

There's just... no reason at all to give him access to it because he doesn't battles and is never in a competitive scenario where the extra power would truly be useful such as a League, Gym battle or a PWC match. And besides, the only Pokémon he has that can Mega Evolve are Scizor, Pinsir, Heracross and Absol, none of which he has any sort of strong bond with that justifies a Mega Stone being earned. The only reasoning to give Goh access to it would be if the writers wanted to pamper him even more by giving him something he not only doesn't really deserves, but also doesn't needs.

Ash deserved it much more than Goh and only got it now, years after XY ended solely because the writing team didn't wanted to give him one then for whatever reason. Giving one to Goh now would be disrespectful imo.

Last edited:
You forgot his Ptera, but seeing how much neglect it got it's not surprising.

And that shouldn't be a controversial opinion.
Not so many people would attempt to defend the idea of him getting Mega Evolution.

Ash deserved it much more than Goh and only got it now, years after XY ended solely because the writing team didn't wanted to give him one then for whatever reason.
Executives said something about Ash needing a power up to show his bond with Greninja or something like that was what I read.

If it wasn't for them, Ash might have gotten a Mega.

Executives said something about Ash needing a power up to show his bond with Greninja or something like that was what I read.

If it wasn't for them, Ash might have gotten a Mega.
I suspect that until 2019 there was either an actual rule or an agreement among the staff that Ash wasn't allowed to catch "old" Pokémon if they didn't have a new evolution, which put them in a bind when gen 6 didn't give any gen 6 Pokémon Mega Evolution.

I always hated how none of the gen 6 mons, aside from Diancie for whatever reason and Greninja, not getting any mega evolutions. How do you introduce a new gimmick and not let the new mons in on the fun? I feel extra sorry for Chesnaught and Delphox considering they got absolutely nothing. Hell, the promotional commercials that played on TV during the Gen 6 era did nothing but promote the fact that you could get the Kanto starters.

I always hated how none of the gen 6 mons, aside from Diancie for whatever reason and Greninja, not getting any mega evolutions. How do you introduce a new gimmick and not let the new mons in on the fun? I feel extra sorry for Chesnaught and Delphox considering they got absolutely nothing. Hell, the promotional commercials that played on TV during the Gen 6 era did nothing but promote the fact that you could get the Kanto starters.
It's even crazier because it's like... you go to a new region, and they give you a starter. Not 1 hour later, they give you another and say ''Hey kid! This one can Mega Evolve! Your first one can't!!! Isn't it nice?"

It's one of the things that baffle me to this day about this franchise ngl. It's one of the moments where I audibly let out a "??" when it happened.

It's even crazier because it's like... you go to a new region, and they give you a starter. Not 1 hour later, they give you another and say ''Hey kid! This one can Mega Evolve! Your first one can't!!! Isn't it nice?"

It's one of the things that baffle me to this day about this franchise ngl. It's one of the moments where I audibly let out a "??" when it happened.
It's kind of like getting an elemental monkey in BW, but in reverse.
"Hey, you see your starters? yeah, they're going to suck against the Gym, so here's a throwaway monkey."

The Kalos starters really felt like a formality they wanted to get out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom