• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

It was extremely fast, and by extremely fast, it was literally 7 episodes.

There's probably a timeskip of a few days or even weeks between XY122 and XY123, since it's unlikely that the group went from Snowbelle to the swamp in one night.

I don't have a problem with Alain obtaining the badges quickly as much as the reason behind it since it reeks of bad planning.

Uhh, no? He lost to an older, more experienced trainer with foreign pokemon in a battle that came down to the wire and crippled the winner’s ace to the point he lost the following round. It was the most believable league loss we’ve had so far.
It's actually pretty crazy and impressive to me how a League that happened over 20 years ago is still the one that has the best Ash-defeat to this day. None of the others up to this point were that ''satisfying'' so to speak.

-Hoenn was a little underwhelming specially since he lost to a Meowth of all things and I still feel that Sceptile should've been fully evolved back then, but I can somewhat excuse it due to the BF happening in the next season and I guess they need to keep something to do with Ash's team for another season.
-And the others defeats were just straight up ass with a walking plot device, an idiot powered up by a DEM and Ash's overall weak team, and Alain and that awful Zard X making it really hard to be believable imo.

Last edited:
Hoenn was a little underwhelming specially since he lost to a Meowth of all things
Hoenn may have felt underwhelming, but I don't think it should be because of him losing to a Meowth. I think it suffered from once again introducing a league rival for Ash to lose to incredibly late into the show: too late for them to properly establish their strength in a way that doesn't seem like they're telling, not showing. Had they introduced Tyson earlier on in the series and showed off his Meowth's strength, I don't see an issue with Ash losing to a Meowth, especially considering how his own unevolved pokemon can be extremely strong.

Basically, the whole "Ash losing to Tyson" thing could've been alleviated had Tyson been introduced earlier on instead of right before the league, like they should do for every rival.

Hoenn may have felt underwhelming, but I don't think it should be because of him losing to a Meowth. I think it suffered from once again introducing a league rival for Ash to lose to incredibly late into the show: too late for them to properly establish their strength in a way that doesn't seem like they're telling, not showing. Had they introduced Tyson earlier on in the series and showed off his Meowth's strength, I don't see an issue with Ash losing to a Meowth, especially considering how his own unevolved pokemon can be extremely strong.

Basically, the whole "Ash losing to Tyson" thing could've been alleviated had Tyson been introduced earlier on instead of right before the league, like they should do for every rival.
I get your point and fully agree with it. but at the same time... it's just that... a Meowth? Really? So many Pokémon to choose from and it's a Meowth of all things that takes Ash down?

Ofc, that Meowth was just a symptom of the poor handling of Tyson's character, but it definitely doesn't helps imo. That felt so... underwhelming to say the least u know?

Last edited:
I get your point and fully agree with it. but at the same time... it's just that... a Meowth? Really? So many Pokémon to choose from and it's a Meowth of all things that take Ash down?

Ofc, that Meowth was just a symptom of the poor handling of Tyson's character, but it definitely doesn't helps imo. That felt so... underwhelming to say the least u know?
At least Meowth was fresh while Pikachu had already fought a pseudo legendary Metagross, plus it was very close, so you can at least argue that Ash might have won in other circumstances.

On the topic of Tyson, who had the idea of hyping up both Glalie and Sceptile as team cornerstones only to have their battle end in one hit each?

Slightly off-topic lol, but man, they really liked OHKO type of battles back in the day didn't they?
Case in point, later in the battle Corphish battles Tyson’s Haryiama. After kicking major ass and proving itself a worthy and powerful force throughout the tournament, our mighty crab attacks its opponent... only to be casually taken out in one hit, ending its league career in, quite literally, one fell swoop.

Oopsie

I'm not sure why a Meowth being strong is such a problem, though? As @AnimeJewel246 pointed out, Ash himself has a lot of powerful unevolved Pokemon, so there's no real reason why he should be the only trainer in the entire world to do so. If the problem is specifically with Meowth as a species, well, not every Meowth in the world has to be Team Rocket Meowth-level pathetic. If anything I like the idea of some Meowths being competent battlers to balance out the fact that the most prominent Meowth in the anime is such a wimp: we've all recently complained about how annoying it is that every Charizard ever has to be an invincible demigod, and the exact inverse (every Pokemon of a certain species being utterly pathetic) is pretty horrible too (just ask Starmie), so I'm glad that at least some measure of balance exists on the opposite side of the power spectrum lol.

At least Meowth was fresh while Pikachu had already fought a pseudo legendary Metagross, plus it was very close, so you can at least argue that Ash might have won in other circumstances.

On the topic of Tyson, who had the idea of hyping up both Glalie and Sceptile as team cornerstones only to have their battle end in one hit each?
I've said this once before, but I think it bears repeating: the reason Ash lost to Tyson is because he made some serious fumbles in the order he sent out his Pokemon: he sent out Corphish to battle Hariyama after the Fighting-type beat Torkoal instead of sending Swellow out right away, resulting in Corphish getting thrashed and Ash being one Pokemon short for no reason. He's honestly lucky that Tyson got hit with the dumb stick himself and stuck with Hariyama afterwards. Then Ash makes a bad call again by sending out Grovyle to battle Metagross when none of Grovyle's attacks could hit it for even neutral damage, with predictable results. If Ash had at least reversed the order in which he'd sent Pikachu and Grovyle out (send the former out to deal with Metagross first and save the latter for later), then the last fight in that match would have been Meowth vs Grovyle, and I feel that Grovyle has a lot more tools to deal with Meowth, since part of the reason Pikachu lost aside from already being worn down by Metagross was because Meowth's moveset could parry/counter all of Pikachu's tricks, which he wouldn't have been able to do as easily with Grovyle: Bullet Seed at least would have been a great way to get past Double Team, for example.

I'm not sure why a Meowth being strong is such a problem, though? As @AnimeJewel246 pointed out, Ash himself has a lot of powerful unevolved Pokemon, so there's no real reason why he should be the only trainer in the entire world to do so.
Idk, although what you said makes sense, I don't like that Pikachu lost to Nyasu due to the fact it was the climax of the Houen League... For me it just felt anticlimactic and not a very good way to finish a league competition. When I watch the final league battle in which I know Satoshi will lose, I usually expect for a big final match with two strong evolved Pokemon, or in the case he uses Pikachu, at least it should lose to a fully evolved one so it doesn't seem cheap imo.

A big controversial opinion, but I'd much rather Pikachu losing to Kotetsu's Lucario over Tetsuya's Nyasu.

Idk, although what you said makes sense, I don't like that Pikachu lost to Nyasu due to the fact it was the climax of the Houen League... For me it just felt anticlimactic and not a very good way to finish a league competition. When I watch the final league battle in which I know Satoshi will lose, I usually expect for a big final match with two strong evolved Pokemon, or in the case he uses Pikachu, at least it should lose to a fully evolved one so it doesn't seem cheap imo.

A big controversial opinion, but I'd much rather Pikachu losing to Kotetsu's Lucario over Tetsuya's Nyasu.
I mean, I'm not sure why that's so cheap. I agree that maybe Tyson should have had more screentime to better establish his Meowth's power, but it's not like it was randomly strong with no explanation (Tyson's statements about it being more than ready to evolve and the Meowth's refusal). Unlike Cameron's Lucario, who was insanely OP to the point that it defeated a fully evolved Flying-type as a Riolu, literally just because.

I think in the Hoenn league they just didn’t have any strong Pokémon for Ash to lose to. Metagross and Salamance were the big Uber Hoenn Pokémon at the time and Ash beats Tyson’s Metagross and he never actually battles a Salamence in AG at all. Besides that trainers owning legendaries didn’t become a thing till Battle Frontier so they didn’t have a strong legendary to take him out either.

For the most part the Hoenn league only happened because it had to after the 8 badges, the writers had no plan for that league and since Ash had no major rivals at the time there was nothing for Ash to accomplish. He even comes in the Top 8 AGAIN after coming in the same rank in Johto right before. Imagine if these days Ash would only reach the same rank in a league and not improve?

I always felt like Ash’s quest was put on the backburner for AG because the writers were trying to make May and the Contests really stick because it was the first time they were bringing in a new female companion and they wanted to make sure she was successful and not viewed as another Tracey/Brock situation. It’s the same reason Ash has no rivals in AG till the league whereas May has two. Then after Hoenn ended they realized they could focus on Ash equally so Battle Frontier gave him some direction again. Honestly looking back AG is a weird experimental series in general. They basically took what worked about it and refined the formula into DP and XY.

For the most part the Hoenn league only happened because it had to after the 8 badges, the writers had no plan for that league and since Ash had no major rivals at the time there was nothing for Ash to accomplish. He even comes in the Top 8 AGAIN after coming in the same rank in Johto right before. Imagine if these days Ash would only reach the same rank in a league and not improve?
To be fair, one could argue that the reason Ash didn't improve his League ranking is that he relied entirely on a team of fresh newbies instead of supplementing their strength with his more experienced reserves. Notice how he actually did better at the Sinnoh League and also won the Battle Frontier (where reserves were called upon both times).

I always thought that Ash getting to the Top 8 in the Hoenn League was a sign of improvement though. He didn't rely heavily on his reserves like he did in Johto and he lost to the trainer who ended up winning the League. I don't recall a lot of fans having an issue with that back in the day, but to be fair, my memory on that detail could be a bit hazy. Admittedly, it's not a noteworthy improvement compared to some of his other League rankings, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he hadn't improved at all during AG because he reached the Top 8 again.

I always felt like Ash’s quest was put on the backburner for AG because the writers were trying to make May and the Contests really stick because it was the first time they were bringing in a new female companion and they wanted to make sure she was successful and not viewed as another Tracey/Brock situation. It’s the same reason Ash has no rivals in AG till the league whereas May has two. Then after Hoenn ended they realized they could focus on Ash equally so Battle Frontier gave him some direction again. Honestly looking back AG is a weird experimental series in general. They basically took what worked about it and refined the formula into DP and XY.
I didn't think that Ash's quest was on the backburner, especially when they did have Ash training his Pokemon during a few of May's Contests. A good portion of the first Grand Festival was devoted to Ash training Snorunt to learn Ice Beam and then its evolution. I'm not sure if that was part of their rationale for not giving Ash rivals in AG either. It's certainly possible when they probably wanted to make Contests more engaging for the audience by giving only May rivals, but I kind of appreciated that Ash didn't have a rival. They just ended his rivalry with Gary, so it was probably a better choice to just focus on this new journey with new friends and Pokemon for Ash instead. They didn't really have a lot of options from the games and I think creating another anime-only rival might have backfired, mainly due to how Trip felt coming right after Paul. Having a rival could have given more weight to Ash's Hoenn journey, but I don't think he really needed one.

Does it bother anyone else that the Anime recently has been keeping certain Pokemon locked in one specific Gender?

For instance:

Anime Machamps are Male only

Anime Lucarios are Male only

Anime Gengars are Male only

Anime Lopunnys are Female only

Anime Primarinas are Female only (Even tho they're 87% Male in the Games)

Anime Gardevoirs are Female only

Almost every Starter not from the Popplio line, Bulbasaur line, Fenniken line, Snivy line, or Chikorita line is Male only

(Yes I know Starters + Lucario are 87% Male in the Games but could you even IMAGINE a Female Greninja, a Female Incineroar, a Female Lucario or Female Inteleon? The Anime would NEVER have the Balls)

I miss the days of Cameron's Samurott, Charla, and Ash's Levanny.

At least Journeys snuck in a Male Meganium

Does it bother anyone else that the Anime recently has been keeping certain Pokemon locked in one specific Gender?

For instance:

Anime Machamps are Male only

Anime Lucarios are Male only

Anime Gengars are Male only

Anime Lopunnys are Female only

Anime Primarinas are Female only (Even tho they're 87% Male in the Games)

Anime Gardevoirs are Female only

Almost every Starter not from the Popplio line, Bulbasaur line, Fenniken line, Snivy line, or Chikorita line is Male only

(Yes I know Starters + Lucario are 87% Male in the Games but could you even IMAGINE a Female Greninja, a Female Incineroar, a Female Lucario or Female Inteleon? The Anime would NEVER have the Balls)

I miss the days of Cameron's Samurott, Charla, and Ash's Levanny.

At least Journeys snuck in a Male Meganium
I was about to bring up Sylveon for this list too, but then I remembered Valerie's Sylveon, whom I personally headcanon as male if only because it is a male in the games, and I personally tend to assume that any character who is from the games has their Pokemon's genders match their game counterparts' unless specifically proven otherwise (for example Bertha's Hippowdon and Skyla's Unfezant, the latter of whom was most likely only made male so that Ash's own Unfezant could stand out).

Oh, and speaking of which, since Bea's Machamp is a female in the games, with any luck it'll be a female in the anime too. At the very least there might not be anything in the upcoming episodes that specifically discredit it being a female.

I was about to bring up Sylveon for this list too, but then I remembered Valerie's Sylveon, whom I personally headcanon as male if only because it is a male in the games, and I personally tend to assume that any character who is from the games has their Pokemon's genders match their game counterparts' unless specifically proven otherwise (for example Bertha's Hippowdon and Skyla's Unfezant, the latter of whom was most likely only made male so that Ash's own Unfezant could stand out).

Oh, and speaking of which, since Bea's Machamp is a female in the games, with any luck it'll be a female in the anime too. At the very least there might not be anything in the upcoming episodes that specifically discredit it being a female.
And of course we can't forget what the Anime did to the Cosplay Pikachus!

Reminder that ALL the Cosplay Pikachu are Female in the Games.

What did the Anime Do you ask?

Popstar Pikachu and Southern Belle Pikachu got to remain as Girls

While Wrestling Pikachu and Rockstar Pikachu were turned into Boys

Because Women can't be Wrestlers or Rockstars apparently :bulbaFacepalm:

Pikachu_dress_up2.jpeg
250px-Cosplay_Pikachu_anime.png

Not even Pokemon can escape being assigned to Gender roles

Last edited:
I always thought that Ash getting to the Top 8 in the Hoenn League was a sign of improvement though. He didn't rely heavily on his reserves like he did in Johto and he lost to the trainer who ended up winning the League. I don't recall a lot of fans having an issue with that back in the day, but to be fair, my memory on that detail could be a bit hazy. Admittedly, it's not a noteworthy improvement compared to some of his other League rankings, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he hadn't improved at all during AG because he reached the Top 8 again.
I don't recall fans ever having too much of an issue with Ash's loss to Tyson years ago. He didn't regress that's for sure, so he showed he was continuing to improve as a trainer, and he did it without using his reserves. After that, the fans only grew more and more frustrated, with it all amounting to a massive explosion of rage after Ash lost in a league he absolutely should have won. I recall people were pretty mad about Ash losing to Tobias and Cameron, but nothing compared to the sheer amount of anger fans felt when he lost to Alain and that OP Mega Charizard X because that was a battle he should have won.

Also unlike Johto the person who just barely beat him went on to win the whole thing, and of course he did the BF right after and won it. I think AG is the series along with the OS where he most clearly showed improvement from earlier parts of the show.

I don't recall fans ever having too much of an issue with Ash's loss to Tyson years ago. He didn't regress that's for sure, so he showed he was continuing to improve as a trainer, and he did it without using his reserves. After that, the fans only grew more and more frustrated, with it all amounting to a massive explosion of rage after Ash lost in a league he absolutely should have won. I recall people were pretty mad about Ash losing to Tobias and Cameron, but nothing compared to the sheer amount of anger fans felt when he lost to Alain and that OP Mega Charizard X because that was a battle he should have won.
I think the Kalos backlash is also partly because he got to the finals and for the first time the ending wasn't spoiled by episode titles.

Last edited:
I think the Kalos backlash is also partly because he got to the finals and for the first time the ending wasn't spoiled by episode titles.
Also, are we forgetting the ep was literally called ''Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!"?????? It's actually pretty funny because I watched it on the english dub for the first time and wasn't aware of the japanese title yet, and when I saw what the jp title was I vividly recall audibly letting out a ''Bruh'' quite loudly.

Say what you want about the english dub, but at least ''Down to the Fiery Finish'' didn't tricked anyone and wasn't as ''on the nose'' as the og ver. I frankly don't blame anybody who got their hopes up based off the ep title alone.

Back
Top Bottom