• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I mean, if we're talking competent TRio, then SM Team Rocket were treated as such for the most part. They were pretty threatening there, not to mention how many of their appearances were actual quality and weren't there just to fill the runtime. They added on to the series itself, while in BW they could easily have been replaced with two other random agents of Team Rocket that were needed for the evil plot. Hell, they could've even brought back Butch and Cassidy for that role.

As for competency...I understand completely, but anytime I look back at BW Team Rocket, I keep thinking of the guys who stupidly kept Pikachu captive in a room filled with Poke Balls. Did they not think that Pikachu might call one of its friends for help? Why couldn't they just keep all the Poke Balls untouched in one car while they held the two pokemon without their Poke Balls with them? For such an over-complicated plan to steal pokemon from a Poke Center, it was pretty clear they had no Plan B. Why didn't they get one of their pokemon to fight back instead of just leaving it to Meowth, who only has one move? Maybe it was just that arc that ruined my perception of BW Team Rocket, but the thing that annoyed me most was how the writers couldn't seem to strike a balance, so you ended up with a cartoonish level competent group of villains with barely anything resembling a personality being the threat. Seriously, I would've been all hyped for BW Team Rocket had the train scene between Pikachu and Meowth showed some level of emotion from the latter. Did he even feel bad afterward? How cool would it be to have super competent villains who are actually sympathetic?

I do agree on your last point, though, and I wish we see Team Rocket doing more things, but at the same time, I kind of like the air they give off. They give off a "millennial type characters" vibe and I love it. Still, I'm kind of bummed that we don't get more episodes about Jessie's career. I guess since none of the main girls are doing anything within Jessie's interests, there's no reason for her to do anything, but still. Missed opportunity.
Eh I wouldn’t really call SM TRio threatening, they just got out be time where they ambushed Ash and beyond that they were dealt with just as with any other series. Sure we got to see more of a laid back side to them between them having a day job and their lives with Bewear but that was more so in tune with the style of SM than anything else. And with BW, they had been promoted so I could definitely see it as them wanting to step up their game to match the new confidence that Giovanni had in them. Plus in a way, their new threatening aspect was kinda to match how they had had an air of threat to them back in the OS when Ash first met them between them having wanted posters and even managing to take over the Viridian Pokémon Center alone. Really it seems to only be around Ash that they become total clowns. So it was more in line with the ‘back to the roots’ thing they were going for with BW.

As for the Meowth arc, yea they screwed up with that oversight but it does say a lot about their competency there that they had managed to play such a long game con, something you’d never really expect from TRio. While there could have been some emotional conflict shown with Meowth basically becoming the mask he pretended to be traveling with Ash and co, the arc as a whole was definitely some of the best TRio plots we’ve gotten especially since their usual plots are resolved in like 5 minutes with them being sent blasting off. I kinda wish we could have kept their competency while adding in their goofball tendencies that make them sympathetic villains rather than just going for a full reversion.

Not always.

The Eeveelutions are also pretty notorious for the kinds of "fanart" they have and they are nowhere near close to Humanoid

Charizard also apparently has the most amount of NSFW art out of any Starter for whatever reason
I'd argue that being highly popular plays a hand on that, because Pikachu gets a lot of NSFW art too. Even more than the Eeveelutions if you can believe it. And you really don't wanna know what the internet has done to poor Wooloo...

I mean that's just guess

There's also that whole "Evolution turns you into a different person" thing which might play another part. It happened with Mamoswine and Piplup didn't want to evolve because he was afraid it would happen to him.

A Dominatrix (BSDM Fetishist) and James Bond respectively lol

And its not even new, taking into account the way Clair dresses and her spriteart and Sabrina's gen 1 sprite as well.

That's really ridiculous. They've already featured Lopunny multiple times in the anime with no problem. It was featured in the episode where Dawn and Buneary were taking part in a fashion show and was used in the Sinnoh Grand Festival. I think that you're taking the whole Playboy Bunny inspiration too seriously when it's never been shown as sexual in the anime. It's just a tall brown bunny. There's nothing inherently sexual about its design and unless you look up its trivia on sites like Bulbapedia, I don't think most people would assume what it's based on. There wouldn't be anything to censor or anything that warrants removing the episode. As far as I can tell, none of Lopunny's appearances in the anime or Adventures manga have been edited or banned in different countries, so I don't understand why you'd think it would be such a huge problem.
Well... I never got around of watching older seasons because of school and other things, I'm sorry If that come out as something wrong though.

Battle wise, Ash is a good trainer but could be better. What I’m saying is he’s not a godly trainer. He isn’t a great one either. He’s the best in how he treats his Pokemon but battle wise he is just good.

… He didn’t even have to anything of note to achieve half of that. Honestly, a character with borderline zero conflict in his goals isn’t interesting to me. Same goes for Ash as of now.

Don’t confuse conflicts with flaws. A giant issue with Go is, his flaws aren’t actually flaws in the narrative. Each flaw seems like it’s meticulously engineered to help him in a particular situation and then never pops up again- RE: Go relating to Drizzile.
It’s not really a good flaw if it never gives your character a conflict. Contrast this with Ash's and Paul's stubbornness that put them in direct conflict with one another, or Ash just getting used to winning with Ash-Greninja that led to his loss against Sawyer.

I don’t think we've ever seen any incident where Go's flaws have actively hindered his goal. Usually his flaw just helps him instead and he gets the Pokémon in the end.

Also, I cannot really take Go's goal seriously till the narrative addresses the elephant in the room "Why does Go deserve Mew more than your average researcher who's spent 10+ years looking for it? Or Gary? Or any of the other Project Mew members?"
Why do we root for him apart from the fact that he’s the main character?

And, looking at that tweet's replies, people like to troll and hate the part of the fandom that just loves Go, but that Twitter replies' attitude towards so called "Go haters" isn’t stellar.

Last edited:
No. Other than catching a Legendary Pokemon, which I still think was handled well, nothing about this list comes off as OP. Stuff like catching a pure Dark type Pokemon, having a normal and regional form of a Pokemon and having a Pokemon with its Hidden Ability doesn't really scream overpowered to me. The issue of whether or not you think that Goh deserves these accomplishments is a different manner, but I wouldn't really describe him as OP exactly.

Most of the stuff listed in there is the kind of things that are no-brainers for any character with that kind of goal: of course Goh's gonna be getting Fossils/Regional Variants/pure Dark-types, anyone seeking to complete the Pokedex would get those sooner or later. And of course a character who catches that many Pokemon is going to have a few with uncommon attributes like gigantism and a Hidden Ability, as it stands to reason that the more catches you make the more likely it is that you'll get some special gems. Frankly the fact that Goh hasn't gotten any shiny Pokemon yet is kind of strange when you really think about it.

Also, I feel like the lack of things like Fossil Pokemon and pure Dark-types in past companions' teams has less to do with Goh being "special" and more to do with the simple fact that the anime staff simply didn't think Pokemon of those categories fit any past companions, and I'm pretty confident that if Goh didn't have the goal to catch every Pokemon he most likely wouldn't have caught those kinds of Pokemon either unless they felt they were good fits for him.

The only real outlier is Suicune, but even then it was a genuinely well-handled moment and Suicune acts like a wild Pokemon in all but name anyway, so it hardly feels notable to the point that there'd be almost no difference in the long term if Suicune had chosen not to be caught.

Even the Legendary doesn't make him overpowered, since he never uses it.

How his goal is handled at best, and the whole concept of him at worst, is the main issue. It gets old very quickly and makes you stop caring about it.

Gou is neither remarkable nor noteworthy. And the way others praise him is annoying, clearly an Stu sign.

The only reason he has all these is because his goal requires him to get them. It doesn't make him special, especially compared to some past companions who have had significantly better stories than Goh has had. He never had to really work for them and he never really uses any of them, and 99% of the Pokemon he captures.

I mean if we’re comparing companion’s power levels, Goh’s not even the strongest anyway. Brock and Misty both have megas ans Iris is literally a champion now. Would hardly call him OP. Aside from starters his only impressive mons are like Scizor/Flygon/Golurk/Suicune which he barely uses anyway so it’s kinda hard to gauge their power levels. Not to mention Suicune isn’t even in his possession atm.

He barely had to do any work to get all of that. Chucking Pokéballs and screaming ''Pokéball Go!!!!" at anything that moves and catching them at first try no prob in 95% of the cases is not that huge of an achievement. Goh is not special in any capacity: he's just babied by the writer's who sees him as the Golden Child who deserves everything.

Not even counting on all the highly contrived scenarios that bent themselves backwards to get Goh to capture a lot of them, mainly Suicune and Absol, maybe even Grookey and Flygon.

Because Goh is someone who barely puts any effort at all. He's not interested in actively helping any of his Pokémon evolve and most of them evolve due to their own merits, yet Goh reaps the rewards anyways. Besides, he's one of the most incompetent trainers we've ever seen, Grookey being the living proof of that.

And also, I fully agree with @PkmnTrainerV , why do we have to believe that Goh is the one who deserves Mew, as opposed to anyone else who actually puts in the effort, besides ''protagonist power''??? And it's funny because I've seen some Goh's fans getting confronted with this question and say stuff like ''Oh yeah? Than why does Ash deserves to win his leagues besides for being the protagonist???" Well, because, as opposed to Goh, Ash has busted his ass for over 20 years to get where he is now and has always put in the effort to train his team and do everyhting with minimal help. Goh has everything handed to him on a silver plater.

Last edited:
Most of the stuff listed in there is the kind of things that are no-brainers for any character with that kind of goal: of course Goh's gonna be getting Fossils/Regional Variants/pure Dark-types, anyone seeking to complete the Pokedex would get those sooner or later. And of course a character who catches that many Pokemon is going to have a few with uncommon attributes like gigantism and a Hidden Ability, as it stands to reason that the more catches you make the more likely it is that you'll get some special gems. Frankly the fact that Goh hasn't gotten any shiny Pokemon yet is kind of strange when you really think about it.

Also, I feel like the lack of things like Fossil Pokemon and pure Dark-types in past companions' teams has less to do with Goh being "special" and more to do with the simple fact that the anime staff simply didn't think Pokemon of those categories fit any past companions, and I'm pretty confident that if Goh didn't have the goal to catch every Pokemon he most likely wouldn't have caught those kinds of Pokemon either unless they felt they were good fits for him.

The only real outlier is Suicune, but even then it was a genuinely well-handled moment and Suicune acts like a wild Pokemon in all but name anyway, so it hardly feels notable to the point that there'd be almost no difference in the long term if Suicune had chosen not to be caught.
Actually he does have a shiny Voltorb though you’d be forgiven for forgetting it since it happened in that terrible Blue Pokémon episode with zero buildup and was only treated as anything special because of the theme of the color blue. Heck, it disappeared probably not even half way through the episode.

I mean if we’re comparing companion’s power levels, Goh’s not even the strongest anyway. Brock and Misty both have megas ans Iris is literally a champion now. Would hardly call him OP. Aside from starters his only impressive mons are like Scizor/Flygon/Golurk/Suicune which he barely uses anyway so it’s kinda hard to gauge their power levels. Not to mention Suicune isn’t even in his possession atm.
Yeah, despite having these Pokemon, Goh hardly battles. He doesn't even do any training, so when I see him battle decently on screen, it doesn't feel believable becsuse we don't see him regularly training or anything. He's been watching Ash battle, but I don't think that a enough when we don't see him training. He went from hating battles to being good at it too quickly, like in the episode he caught Flygon. When it comes to strength, character such as Brock, Misty, Iris, and Clemont easily out class him. Three of these are Gym Leaders who have worked hard and two of which have Megas. One of which is now the Champion of Unova.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom