• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

If Alain shows up and loses to Ash's current team, doesn't that just make Greninja look weak? It received a unique form and the battle between it and Charizard was hyped to hell, but it lost. It got taken out by Blast Burn just like it did in Ash and Alain's very first battle. Not too good a showing, and if Alain's Charizard were to lose to Mega Lucario-cause who else would they let take it out, Sirfetch?-I think it'd make Ash-Greninja look pretty underwhelming.
Greninja already is weak. It doesn’t even try to stand up and resist the attack. Greninja is pathetic.

And I'm gonna add that to my growing list of ''Why the PWC is a middle finger to every single one of Ash's pre-JN Pokémon sans Pikachu".

Let's say that Alain comes back through the PWC: why does any of the JN team members deserve to beat Alain's Zard but Greninja doesn't??? Because Greninja not being the one to finally take that bih down will feel like a roundhouse kick to the face of both Pokémon and the viewers.
It was built up from the beginning to have Greninja defeat Charizard. Not having that happen in XY is blasphemy. Greninja is the ONLY Pokemon that should defeat Charizard. If any other Pokemon defeats that thing I won’t consider it a win for Ash.
Ash not winning the Kalos League with Greninja who was built up to be one of the STRONGEST POKEMON OF ALL TIME with barely any training is a head scratching decision.

Yeah, I get that, but like several people have already pointed out here, would it really be that satisfying a victory if Ash beats Alain with a Pokemon other than Greninja (especially so if it's Lucario of all things, seeing how it's got an outright type-disadvntage against Zard)? I mean, I guess they could make Ash-Greninja return too, but I'm not sure if letting the Journeys team get overshadowed by an old ace is that good an idea either, especially with how sparse their development is already. In other words, I feel like making Alain return so Ash can beat him is a bit of a lose-lose situation: either Ash beats him with his current team and makes Greninja look bad, or Greninja returns to steal the thunder from Pokemon who haven't gotten even half the shilling that it got in its series.

In short, I feel like the simplest solution is to just not let Alain return at all. Especially since Leon is functionally serving the same role as Alain did, what with him also having an overpowered Charizard as his ace and being undefeatable.

Well, I agree with the last part, that is, that Leon plays a role similar to what Alain played, although I believe it is not the same role.

And while I also understand the apprehension and fear of others, I think Ash can win without having to bring back Greninja or make this Pokémon look weak.

For example, if it's a 6v6 battle, and Ash sets up a strategy involving several of his Pokemons to neutralize and weaken charizard, as well as using Gigantamax, Z-move and Mega-Evolution, I don't see why Ash winning would demean Greninja, instead of demonstrating his evolution as a trainer.

In fact, using this strategy would teach Alan a beautiful lesson, namely, that you shouldn't depend entirely on a Pokémon, but rather give room to the others to develop as well.

A problem I see with GReninja showing up, even without Alain involved, is that it might just get the same treatment as Infernape. They made a big deal of it wanting to battle Moltres, only for, if I recall, nothing much really happening with it.
I assume people want it to come back for a match, so something would happen with it.

And once again, my thing with Alain returning is that the battle just won’t be as good as last time. It’ll likely just be a 3v3 at most (if in hyper class) and there won’t be any buildup to it. Even if it’s a 6v6, I’d rather they save full battles against newer opponents rather than just repeating what they’ve already done. I just don’t see it topping XY’s one, despite my issues with it.

Well, I agree with the last part, that is, that Leon plays a role similar to what Alain played, although I believe it is not the same role.

And while I also understand the apprehension and fear of others, I think Ash can win without having to bring back Greninja or make this Pokémon look weak.

For example, if it's a 6v6 battle, and Ash sets up a strategy involving several of his Pokemons to neutralize and weaken charizard, as well as using Gigantamax, Z-move and Mega-Evolution, I don't see why Ash winning would demean Greninja, instead of demonstrating his evolution as a trainer.

In fact, using this strategy would teach Alan a beautiful lesson, namely, that you shouldn't depend entirely on a Pokémon, but rather give room to the others to develop as well.
Well, I guess that could work (heck, the Ash vs Drake battle is one of my personal favorites precisely because I loved its approach of teamwork>raw power), but I'm not sure if it would really be best to do that with Alain specifically, since his other Pokemon were shown to be plenty strong (except for perhaps Tyranitar and Weavile) even if not nearly as much as Charizard, so who knows if Ash would even have his whole team still unfainted by the time the lizard comes out. Besides, teaching Alain the lesson of "don't overrely so much on just one Pokemon" feels a bit too similar to the "power isn't everything" lesson that he already learned at the end of XYZ, so it might be a bit redundant and unnecessary.

(heck, the Ash vs Drake battle is one of my personal favorites precisely because I loved its approach of teamwork>raw power)
I find it unfortunate how when OS battles got discussed in the old days that Drake gets completely overlooked in favour of the battle with Gary, but I think Drake's actual battle was possibly the single best the OS ever had when you consider both the battle itself and the battle's meaning.
I can't even blame people; when I was a kid that episode didn't stick out too much and I sort of put the Johto league with Gary as the best. It was only rewatching it as an adult and thinking about the whole Kanto--OI plotline I realized how great the Pummelo match is (I suspect kids aren't usually great at analyzing themes when they're not doing it for school ;)).

Drake himself wasn't really built up until the episode he appeared, but for Ash the OI was really about him picking himself up after what happened in the Indigo League and trying to improve.
Drake wasn't personally important--Ash had no prior connection to him and we don't see any evidence I can recall that Drake was any sort of opposite of Ash--but defeating him meant something because it showed that Ash really did work on his flaws; I think part of the reason it gets overlooked so much is that this theme sadly got harmed as the show dragged out the league plotline so it started to seem less like a big moment for Ash and more that Drake was just not a very strong trainer (didn't help that he got so much worse about switching after that battle ended), but I'm trying to judge it by what it did and how it worked into what came before rather than things the writers couldn't have predicted that came later.

Oddly enough, the battles with Drake and Gary sort of feel like mirrors to me in a way; against Drake Ash carefully made use of switching to preserve his team's strength so he could use numbers to wear down a single overwhelmingly strong Pokémon in the end. His main tactical mistake I recall was sending out Lapras to fight Gengar instead of preserving them to take on Dragonite.
Against Gary Ash basically won because he had two overwhelmingly strong Pokémon (Snorlax and Charizard) to save the day for him after most of his team lost.

Oddly enough, the battles with Drake and Gary sort of feel like mirrors to me in a way; against Drake Ash carefully made use of switching to preserve his team's strength so he could use numbers to wear down a single overwhelmingly strong Pokémon in the end. His main tactical mistake I recall was sending out Lapras to fight Gengar instead of preserving them to take on Dragonite.
To be somewhat fair to Ash on this, Lapras was probably the only really viable option to use against Gengar: Pikachu and Squirtle were already worn out by their battles against Ditto and Onix respectively, and Tauros had already been tried out and failed rather miserably. Bulbasaur and Charizard were fresh, but the former had no attacks that would have been effective against a Gengar while with the latter Ash was probably simply reluctant to use so early into the fight since it was his main powerhouse, and it makes sense to not show your full hand until you're sure it's absolutely necessary.

Ash made huge blunders against Alain to cost him the match:
Used Pikachu against Tyrantiar and Metagross instead of Unfezant making him exhausted against Charizard when in reality Pikachu could deal major damage and defeat it
Keeping Noivern in against Weavile
Sending said exhausted Pikachu against Charizard instead of switching him out
Goodra being a non factor
One clash between Charizard and Greninja in their base forms: go for the Water Shuriken dealing major damage or...
USE CUT
FACEPALM
THE BIGGEST ONE... RELYING TOO MUCH ON GRENINJA! It lost the match for Ash!

I feel like most older Gym battles have not aged well at all, due to either the dated animation, Ash winning by using only one or two attacks while his pokemon take a lot of damage, or weird type match ups. There are usually only 3 or 4 stand out Gyms a region while the rest are either average battles or done poorly.

Case in point I just watched Roxanne's Gym battle. Pikachu beats her Geodude with Thunderbolt. I thought by AG we had long since passed Pikachu effecting ground pokemon but that wasn't the case. Even using Iron tail to defeat Nosepass wasn't that good. A lot of the same poor battle tactics people complain about have always existed in the anime even after the OS.

I feel like most older Gym battles have not aged well at all, due to either the dated animation, Ash winning by using only one or two attacks while his pokemon take a lot of damage, or weird type match ups. There are usually only 3 or 4 stand out Gyms a region while the rest are either average battles or done poorly.

Case in point I just watched Roxanne's Gym battle. Pikachu beats her Geodude with Thunderbolt. I thought by AG we had long since passed Pikachu effecting ground pokemon but that wasn't the case. Even using Iron tail to defeat Nosepass wasn't that good. A lot of the same poor battle tactics people complain about have always existed in the anime even after the OS.

By AG? Try DP. Pikachu had actually managed to inflict damage on Onix with Thunderbolt in Ash's rematch against Roark in DP018.

Ghost pokemon still also got hit by normal attacks in AG too. Remember how Glalie used Headbutt on Misdreavous in the league? Or May's Squirtle was able to deflect Banette with Rabid spin? (Unless the writers forgot that was a normal type move and thought it was a water type move)

But then in the same series we had Charizard's Seismic Toss failing against Dusclops and Pikachu not able to hit Agatha's Gengar by tackling it.

I know different writers handle different eps so that explains it, but it's interesting as "late" as the AG Era the writers were still playing loose with game rules.

The earlier Hoenn Gym Battles were hard to watch for me, due to Ash's team not quite being diverse offensively - case in point, Treecko was used for both Roxanne and Brawly and could only Pound or Quick Attack... I did enjoy seeing Pikachu roast Wattson's team though. I think Gym Battles began to hit their stride in DP, regressed a tiny bit in BW, but came back with a vengeance in Kalos.

The earlier Hoenn Gym Battles were hard to watch for me, due to Ash's team not quite being diverse offensively - case in point, Treecko was used for both Roxanne and Brawly and could only Pound or Quick Attack... I did enjoy seeing Pikachu roast Wattson's team though. I think Gym Battles began to hit their stride in DP, regressed a tiny bit in BW, but came back with a vengeance in Kalos.
It’s sad with the exception of Sinnoh that the gym battles are usually better than the league battles

You know how everyone talks about Grookey?

Am I the only person who notices that Monkey Pokemon are almost never handled well in the Anime?

Except for Infernape (and even he sucks in JN)

Remember Aipom's ping pong?

Remember the Passimian Black face controversy which resulted that episode getting banned in the States?

Now look at Grookey.

The writer's have no idea what to do with monkeys

I do not want any aces or hype worthy Pokémon in JN. They did no justice to Infernape, at all. In fact, it was probably marketed more than what it actually did in JN. I think it plays into wanting episodes to get "viral" thing from the first JN interview. They want episodes to go viral and increase ratings, and clickbait is their method for that. It’s sad to see that clickbait is literally an official promotion strategy for the Pokémon anime now.

I know different writers handle different eps so that explains it, but it's interesting as "late" as the AG Era the writers were still playing loose with game rules.
And interestingly enough, the writers have taken the Ghost type's immunity in consideration when they wrote Ash's gym battle to Morty in mid Johto, and went accordingly, given that Noctowl used Foresight before attacking them with Normal type moves. The inconsistency of the Ghost type's immunity is really all over the place if you think about it.

And interestingly enough, the writers have taken the Ghost type's immunity in consideration when they wrote Ash's gym battle to Morty in mid Johto, and went accordingly, given that Noctowl used Foresight before attacking them with Normal type moves. The inconsistency of the Ghost type's immunity is really all over the place if you think about it.
That's one of my favorite battles because of this distinction. Not only did Noctowl get the (very much needed & appreciated) limelight, but the anime examined a somewhat uncommon yet highly effective strategy kids could emulate in their own battles against Morty with their own Hoothoot or Noctowl (and later Normal-types in Gen IV by extension); growing up, I admittedly didn't grasp the application of Foresight for Ghost-types when I had my Silver version until I saw Ash do it after I came home from school one day. It's something you don't see Ash utilize often strategy-wise within his battles, using moves akin to Foresight.

Back
Top Bottom