• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

The Kalos League (and Alain) were poorly handled.
I STILL think Alain is a Gary Stu. He was just too perfect. Never lost a trainer battle after his debut. He needed to be knocked down a few pegs after they sat there shoving down our throats how OP he and that absurd Charizard were.

Speaking of Charizard, I still hate the fact that Leon has one.

Red has Charizard, Lance has a Charizard, Alain has Charizard,

Charizard, Charizard, Charizard EVERYWHERE

How many Champions do we need to shill that Fire Dragon?

Not only that but ironically Leon's Charizard is arguably one of the worst and weakest links of all 3 of his Teams as the rest of his Teams are actually relatively decent but are mostly held back by his garbage Charizard (especially the team that has Cinderace in it because then it just makes Charizard look even worse since there's a MUCH Stronger Fire Starter overshadowing it).

Last edited:

How many Champions do we need to shill that wretched overrated Fire Dragon?

Not only that but ironically Leon's Charizard is arguably one of the worst and weakest links of all 3 of his Teams as the rest of his Teams are actually relatively decent but are mostly held back by his garbage Charizard (especially the team that has Cinderace in it because then it just makes Charizard look even worse since there's a MUCH Stronger Fire Starter overshadowing it).
Would you believe then that Charizard was entirely absent from the anime for over 6 years? There wasn't a single Charizard at all in the anime from the start of DP all the way until "The Fires of a Red-Hot Reunion!" (They're certainly making up for it now with a vengeance, though.)

Would you believe then that Charizard was entirely absent from the anime for over 6 years? There wasn't a single Charizard at all in the anime from the start of DP all the way until "The Fires of a Red-Hot Reunion!" (They're certainly making up for it now with a vengeance, though.)
GameFreak didn't really start pushing Charizard until XY came out, which is likely why it wasn't as prominent in the anime (he wasn't too important in AG, either) after the regional team concept came out.

How many Champions do we need to shill that Fire Dragon?

To be fair (though the word "fair" is pretty loose in this context, I just couldn't think of a better term) the programmers did try their absolute darndest to ensure the Cinderace in Leon's team would look much weaker than his ace Charizard. And I don't just mean because Charizard is the one with the fancy Kaiju mode either, but because the Cinderace can't have Libero as its Ability (the main thing that makes it so good in the first place) and on top of that was given a pretty godawful moveset. Seriously, it runs both Quick Attack and Feint, talk about redundancy.

I would say that Origins Red's Charizard is just as bad if not worst then Leon's Charizard. On the case of the writers making every other pokemon look worse to make Charizard look good.

The Kalos League (and Alain) were poorly handled.
To be perfectly fair: is that even that much of an unpopular opinion these days? lol, Idk, it seems that after the high of the Kalos League and the overall debates surrounding it died down in the following years, I see more and more of people having a similar opinion that this overall League wasn't planned well.
Is it fair to say that out of all of Ash's Ace Pokemon Greninja was the one who was built up the most and ended up being treated the worst?
Being the one to receive the worst outcome? Yeah.

Being the one who was built up the most? ...hum... I would say yes, but Infernape is still a thing, and imo they are pretty neck-to-neck in the ''build up/hype'' aspect. I think more people are inclined to say ''Greninja'' mainly because said build up was/is deemed pretty much meaningles due to it not getting the result it was expected to get.

Being the one who was built up the most? ...hum... I would say yes, but Infernape is still a thing, and imo they are pretty neck-to-neck in the ''build up/hype'' aspect. I think more people are inclined to say ''Greninja'' mainly because said build up was/is deemed pretty much meaningles due to it not getting the result it was expected to get.
Yeah, Infernape didn't get a special unique form but he was being set up as the ace for most of DP and was allowed to skip the Tobias battle for whatever reasons, while I think the Greninja hype overload was mostly constrained to XYZ.

The big...awkward thing, is that in-universe helping stop Team Flare is way more important than winning the league (although Alain did both so...).
From meta standpoint it's actually less meaningful because the world's been saved so many times by now that it felt like a waste of buildup to deliver the exact same storyline we'd seen every series since AG (heck I think Ash actually got captured by every single evil team up to that point though it might have been TR and not Plasma in BW?).

Last edited:
If i had to choose which of the two I prefer, i'd say Infernape. At least, to me, a Pokemon's natural ability-Blaze in the instance-going haywire sounds plausible, its something that could happen to any Pokemon. And its not like Ash could use it anytime he wanted, unlike Paul he wasn't just going to stand there and let Infernape take a beating just to get this insane power-up. As opposed to Ash-Greninja who was overused and over-hyped, along with having a pointless prophecy attached to it. Be it the movies or the main anime, how many times has the world been saved by Ash at this point? And NOW there's some ancient legend that he's apart of?

It's a little sad that Reiko Yoshida has seemingly left the series after writing the "Pikachu runs away and hitchhikes with Mr. Mime" episode. I know a lot of people hated that episode, and for good reason, but I wish she had a chance to redeem herself afterwards.

(Especially since she wrote JN001, the first series opener since AG to not be written by the head writer at the time.)
The episode itself was competent and well-written. LIke I said at the time, the only real problem with it was that it was about Ach and Pokachu instead of Ash and Pikachu. Admittedly that's a pretty massive problem, but if she had developed a better grasp on the characters she's writing before next time she could have written some winners. She's not the only new writer to incorrectly represent the existing characters, so I suspect there was an issue with production materials somewhere up the line. Sure ,she could have studied up a bit more on the characters on her own, but if she writes for other shows and films etc. it's unreasonable to expect her to sift through over 1000 episodes to get character details when they should have been provided to her by whoever contracted her to write episodes and I suspect she and the new writers were not provided with these.

If i had to choose which of the two I prefer, i'd say Infernape. At least, to me, a Pokemon's natural ability-Blaze in the instance-going haywire sounds plausible, its something that could happen to any Pokemon. And its not like Ash could use it anytime he wanted, unlike Paul he wasn't just going to stand there and let Infernape take a beating just to get this insane power-up. As opposed to Ash-Greninja who was overused and over-hyped, along with having a pointless prophecy attached to it. Be it the movies or the main anime, how many times has the world been saved by Ash at this point? And NOW there's some ancient legend that he's apart of?
It was pointless because Greninja never won any big battles and got released so why did he even get it? I wish that Ash-Greninja had more impressive feats.

Is it fair to say that out of all of Ash's Ace Pokemon Greninja was the one who was built up the most and ended up being treated the worst?
Exactly. That is the worst writing in Pokemon ever. Build up Greninja to be unbeatable when mastered. Have it’s most impressive feat (going toe to toe with Diantha Gardevoir) be when it’s not mastered and him lose to a Charizard that with the added power up he could of beaten. And then do nothing of note unlike Charizard and Sceptile and be remembered for a league loser and be released.
I’m so harsh on Greninja because I hate the way it was treated. At least Ash got payoff (got kissed so that was great and ended up winning later) but Greninja gets dumped off without any major accomplishment. Seeing Greninja have so much hype and buildup go to complete waste disappoints me to no end, even five years later. It’s a blunder too big to escape from that Pokémon shrugged off as soon as it happened.
Remember the Pokémon as well as the human.

It was pointless because Greninja never won any big battles and got released so why did he even get it? I wish that Ash-Greninja had more impressive feats.
I get you’re upset about the loss, but I think you're taking it to an extreme in your posts pretty often. Just because Greninja lost its last battle doesn’t really erase all of the focus it got as a Froakie, Frogadier and all the focus other than the Alain battle. It still has plenty of impressive feats on hand.

I just think it’s not this "all or nothing" situation you’re making it out to be.

I get you’re upset about the loss, but I think you're taking it to an extreme in your posts pretty often. Just because Greninja lost its last battle doesn’t really erase all of the focus it got as a Froakie, Frogadier and all the focus other than the Alain battle. It still has plenty of impressive feats on hand.

I just think it’s not this "all or nothing" situation you’re making it out to be.
It’s impressive feats aren’t as impressive as Charizard and Sceptile. The point is that Greninja doesn’t have a grand legacy of greatness that those two have. Yes Greninja had great focus even as a Greninja but that all went down the drain. It’s how you finish makes an impression.

It’s impressive feats aren’t as impressive as Charizard and Sceptile. The point is that Greninja doesn’t have a grand legacy of greatness that those two have. Yes Greninja had great focus even as a Greninja but that all went down the drain. It’s how you finish makes an impression.
I don't think that Greninja losing really affected its legacy, at least in the long term. Despite the disappointment with the Kalos League, Greninja is still an incredibly popular Pokemon and people still want to see it return in the anime years after it was released. As bad as it was that Greninja didn't get to defeat Mega Charizard X, I don't think that negates everything else that it did before and afterwards. Playing a key role in the Team Flare arc might not have been an ideal way for them to provide payoff for the Ash-Greninja hype, but it wasn't unimportant either just because of its previous defeat.

I mean, the fact that it lost to the most overpowered Pokémon in existence doesn’t invalidate anything else it did. It still has a form no one else had, and it still is the only water type of Ash's to evolve post Kingler, not to mention defeating a Pokémon it's water Shuriken has a 4x resistance to. Just because it lost to a living plot device doesn’t change the fact that it did receive a lot of extra stuff.

Sceptile's last appearance was losing against Latios. No one forgot it defeated Darkrai even though finished with a loss.

Was Greninja treated worse than the other aces? Arguably yes. But I think you’re being a bit too bitter over that in your posts, insulting Greninja for the loss and what not.

Back
Top Bottom