• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Initially I posted a few youtube examples of good western animated series, but I deleted it because it was irrelevant. Instead I'm just going to say in the most polite and calm way possible that it's okay for people to like animation from the west, east or both. @Enzo was just trying to make a point, and he made it well, it doesn't need to dismissed as pointless; There was nothing insulting about his post.

Last edited:
I don't care about Paul.

I think he's way too much of an asshole and not even the good kind like Gary

I just think he's unlikable af, abusive as all hell, and frankly I get annoyed whenever he's mentioned. Especially when he's brought up as Ash's "greatest rival"

Kalos Quest (Season 18) is the best season of the anime.
XYZ (Season 19) might be the worst season of the XY series and the most overrated (funny because I use to think it was perfection). A certain few episodes ruined it for me. It has some of the best (XY121 and XY140) episodes and worst episodes (Party Dancespades and Down to the Fiery Finish) of the whole Pokemon anime.
Seeing the Forest for the Trees is the best written Pokemon episode, though looking at it from an overall standpoint it is ultimately pointless. The episode masters Ash and Greninja’s bond which ultimately means nothing as Ash and Greninja has no big achievement to show for it.
Ash-Greninja is completely pointless.

I hate the Alola team but I goddamn respect them as they showed the most spirit and clutch factor in the show.
The Kalos Team used to be my favorite but they have no clutch factor aside from Pikachu and this I have no respect for them. It is for this reason that Ash’s Kalos team is one of my least favorite teams.

Goh is an interesting character that is hindered by poor writing choices and a terrible catching gimmick. I've been watching episodes here and there and have actually grown to like the kid.
But Journeys is still bad imo
The problem is all the captures and writing choices, yes. If they had a different premise for him, he could have been good. Like the episode with his friend he made that promise about Celebi with shows you can write a good story for him.

I feel a "gotta catch 'em all" type char might've worked better a decade ago, around Gen IV. The writers said they wanted show off every Pokemon and are clearly using Goh and TR for that, but the sheer number of Pokemon means a lot of them can only be cameos because they'll have to burn through all 900+.

I've said this before and it bears repeating: I have many issues with Journeys, but Goh himself is not one of them. I find him a very likable character that was unfortunately stuck with a lackluster goal in a lackluster series.
Thats kinda the biggest problem with JN it has good ideas it just does them poorly.

I've said this one before, I think, but I'll say this again: Never, in my life, have I ever seen a writing team have so many genuinely interesting ideas yet manage to bust all of them and slip and hit their faces on a brick wall every single time.

This writing team is just so bad at their jobs man.

Also, here's my potentially controversial take to fit the thread: Considering we're into the 3rd year of JN's run, I frankly don't think there's much they can do to salvage this series. This is not to say they can't do great episodes this year, ofc, but to the point of redeeming the series?... Nah, I personally don't think so.

If you didn't like the series since the beginning a third year probably won't change anything, expect more or less the same level of quality with maybe a slight shift up or down.

I had huge expectations for this series back then when they announced it.
This is the main reason behind my current cynical/pessimistic attitude.

To boot I even liked Journeys very much at the beginning.......
Until the mishandling of characters and progressions became too evident.

Goh is an interesting character that is hindered by poor writing choices and a terrible catching gimmick. I've been watching episodes here and there and have actually grown to like the kid.
But Journeys is still bad imo
I've said this before and it bears repeating: I have many issues with Journeys, but Goh himself is not one of them. I find him a very likable character that was unfortunately stuck with a lackluster goal in a lackluster series.
Not really, I do have an issue with Gou as a character. He is virtually flawless.
His designated defects are just plot-devices that the writers only bring up whenever it would benefit him.

But I agree that his goal doesn't work and it is his weakest/worst aspect.
This insipid series has become a terrible experience, Even BW was better.

If you didn't like the series since the beginning a third year probably won't change anything, expect more or less the same level of quality with maybe a slight shift up or down.
I mean you never really know

Sun and Moon's first 2 years were pretty lackluster but holy shit the Final year REALLY picked up

The same could happen here

I mean you never really know

Sun and Moon's first 2 years were pretty lackluster but holy shit the Final year REALLY picked up

The same could happen here
The final year of SM sucked imo because I hated the Alola League
Season 22 is the worst season of the anime
Master Journeys is worse than Journeys
Season 21 is the only decent SM season
SM has the worst filler ever

Back
Top Bottom