• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Nearly everything about Ash's Greninja post evolution was a mistake and is a major contributor behind me giving up on XY despite its good start. 10,000% garbage cringe material. The biggest exception was when it got released because I actively wanted that creature to piss off rather than stay at Oak's place.

I wanted Ash to be better after BW, but they took it way too far in XY. Ash should not be putting the regional Champion's Mega Evolved ace Pokémon on the back foot like that. That in particular is where I drew the line and then the Kalos League reinforced my decision so hard.

It's weird that people assume that just changing the protagonist to someone other than Ash automatically means that we won't get "stupid moments" like defying the type chart, the protagonist making dumb mistakes occasionally and their competence fluctuating at the drop of a hat, Plot Armor-laden wins or losses, ace Pokemon overshadowing everyone else on the team to the latter's detriment, and so on and so forth when we already got literally every single one of those things happening in Origins, so clearly this kind of stuff would have happened regardless of if Ash was the main character or not, and it's extremely weird that people treat him as the cause of all the bad stuff in the anime as though his presence automatically made those things happen when these are all clearly story problems and not character ones.
One thing that aids that narrative is that so many people are so slavishly devoted to the games that they can’t seem to see battles past soulless math.

Doesn’t matter if X beat Y despite having a disadvantage because of exploiting the battlefield or using a good strategy; someone’s gonna come and bash the anime because STAB, levels, IVs, EVs and the such (hell, I’ve seen people getting pissy over pokemon... dodging attacks that are normally 100% accurate in game). On that aspect, Origins’ comparatively simple battles appeal to this demographic.

One thing that aids that narrative is that so many people are so slavishly devoted to the games that they can’t seem to see battles past soulless math.

Doesn’t matter if X beat Y despite having a disadvantage because of exploiting the battlefield or using a good strategy; someone’s gonna come and bash the anime because STAB, levels, IVs, EVs and the such (hell, I’ve seen people getting pissy over pokemon... dodging attacks that are normally 100% accurate in game). On that aspect, Origins’ comparatively simple battles appeal to this demographic.
Oddly enough the only time I saw EVs in particular brought up in relation to the anime was to defend the Kalos League outcome.
But I'm pretty sure the anime uses stat experience.
The dodging one is particularly weird because I've seen it memed bizarrely often to the point some people act like dodging attacks is an unrealistic Pokémon anime exclusive plot device.

What makes those complaints even worse is that even in the games it's completely and entirely possible for a Pokemon with a type disadvantage to defeat an opponent it'd normally be weak against, especially if it has the right coverage: Water-types are especially notorious, since all but a very tiny handful have access to moves that cover their weakness to Grass, meaning it's not at all uncommon for a Water-type to defeat a Grass-type in gameplay. And the anime itself has had plenty of battles where type disadvantages are overcome in such a manner, on top of the whole exploting the battlefield and good strategy like you mentioned. There's also been cases where a Pokemon beats something with an advantage simply because the latter was already fatigued from a previous fight, which is honestly a completely justifiable explanation. I can somewhat understand complaining about dodging if the move dodged is something that in the games can't miss (like Swift or Aerial Ace), since that's technically supposed to be those moves' core attribute (honestly, one of Origins's very few positives is portraying Swift as projectiles that actively chase their target until they hit, something I wish the main anime would do with it and other never-miss moves too), but if it's something like Flamethrower or Thunderbolt... what, do those people expect the Pokemon to just stand there like idiots and take a heavy hit that they may not be able to afford to tank?

Also, it's very hypocritical to complain that the main anime defies the type chart when Origins itself had the Giovanni battle, which on its own contained multiple instances of type defiance (a Ground/Rock-type defeating a Grass-type, a Water-type, and a Fighting-type singlehandedly; an Electric-type being oneshotted by a non-STAB Electric move; an ostensibly stronger Ground/Rock-type being beaten by a Fire/Flying-type, which had by far the worst matchup in that fight), yet strangely I don't see a single soul complain that Red didn't solo Giovanni with his Victreebel, which would have been the most game-accurate thing to do by far. On the contrary, mention this fight anywhere that isn't this forum and in no time at all people will immediately flock to defend it.

Also, it's very hypocritical to complain that the main anime defies the type chart when Origins itself had the Giovanni battle, which on its own contained multiple instances of type defiance (a Ground/Rock-type defeating a Grass-type, a Water-type, and a Fighting-type singlehandedly; an Electric-type being oneshotted by a non-STAB Electric move; an ostensibly stronger Ground/Rock-type being beaten by a Fire/Flying-type, which had by far the worst matchup in that fight), yet strangely I don't see a single soul complain that Red didn't solo Giovanni with his Victreebel, which would have been the most game-accurate thing to do by far. On the contrary, mention this fight anywhere that isn't this forum and in no time at all people will immediately flock to defend it.
Because for some reason people still think that Red is this super op trainer who is the best ever and can't be beaten. Even though Ethan, Kris, Lyra, Nate, Rosa, Elio, Selene, Chase and Elaine have all battled and beaten Red. But those same people are likely to say that Red was holding back even though that makes no sense.

what, do those people expect the Pokemon to just stand there like idiots and take a heavy hit that they may not be able to afford to tank?
Apparently so, since the games say they should.

For a more concrete example of this inflexibility, at one point in late SM I argued with someone on yt who was complaining that Hapu’s Musdale hit a Zubat with High Horsepower, calling it lame anime logic. To this person, it was only a matter of a flying type getting hit by a ground move, nevermind the fact it was literally a horse barrelling into a bat. Was Mudsdale supposed to phase through Zubat just because it was glowing a bit?

Apparently so, since the games say they should.
The games also say that a tiny bird no bigger than a Pomeranian is more capable of carrying a human across the skies than a car-sized dragonfly, but sure, the anime's logic is the dumber one because reasons.

Honestly I’m so glad the anime takes its own liberties. Cause game logic can make no sense. What happens when mud bomb hits flying types? Or thunder punch hits a gligar? Like you’re telling me, if I let a Mega Charizard X absolutely rampage with outrage, a little Igglybuff is just gonna take no damage from it? Not to mention draco meteor, that’s almost a rock move. So what happens there? So many other examples but you get the gist.

Besides all the dodging, move improvisation, using the battlefield, etc makes battles wayy more interesting to watch. Imagine if every battle had the two pokemon standing there for a few turns, using overly drawn out moves to damage each other. Oh wait that’s just dynamax battles. Those are so fun to watch right?

if I let a Mega Charizard X absolutely rampage with outrage, a little Igglybuff is just gonna take no damage from it?
8A61A10C-8E5C-4F30-AE06-76E919FCBBB8.png

Don't know because of how rarely they show up in the anime to begin with like with most things from Galar.
If I was rating the current ones
  • Gyarados vs Charizard was actually alright since it was the first time we saw the spectacle, but I enjoyed the first half more
  • Pikachu vs Charizard was nothing spectacular since it was so one sided, but that was the point
  • Charizard vs Duraludon was not that good, pretty rushed and Raihan goes down way too quickly
  • Machamp vs Mega Lucario was great but imo it was cause they only had one dynamax mon, so it was more interesting

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of them tbh, especially when it’s just 2 dynamax mons. Feel like if they had more, they’d grow old cause there’s not much variation between them. Since they restrict so much movement and move variety.

If I was rating the current ones
  • Gyarados vs Charizard was actually alright since it was the first time we saw the spectacle, but I enjoyed the first half more
  • Pikachu vs Charizard was nothing spectacular since it was so one sided, but that was the point
  • Charizard vs Duraludon was not that good, pretty rushed and Raihan goes down way too quickly
  • Machamp vs Mega Lucario was great but imo it was cause they only had one dynamax mon, so it was more interesting

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of them tbh, especially when it’s just 2 dynamax mons. Feel like if they had more, they’d grow old cause there’s not much variation between them. Since they restrict so much movement and move variety.

You forgot the most important one...

G-Max Alcremie VS Morbidly Obese Pikachu

Best one of the series, tenouttaten

A lot of people talk about how hard it would be to bring Serena back,
Who are these many people that state such a belief?

As far as the users here, I don't recall ever reading anything about difficulty regarding Serena returning. I've seen more of people just wanting her to return - in any capacity. Journeys would actually be the easiest vehicle to do so, for the writers, given the range of interactions that are possible within the show. Ash & Go can visit any of the eight current regions for any reason, as they have. It wouldn't be hard at all to make a reason for a Serena episode. From the boys, and Chloe possibly, watching a Contest or Showcase, to Serena being the Sylveon Trainer reference for Chloe's Eevee.

Nearly everything about Ash's Greninja post evolution was a mistake and is a major contributor behind me giving up on XY despite its good start. 10,000% garbage cringe material. The biggest exception was when it got released because I actively wanted that creature to piss off rather than stay at Oak's place.

I wanted Ash to be better after BW, but they took it way too far in XY. Ash should not be putting the regional Champion's Mega Evolved ace Pokémon on the back foot like that. That in particular is where I drew the line and then the Kalos League reinforced my decision so hard.
Greninja only knocked Diantha's Gardevoir down, it didn't KO it. Diantha is probably one of the weaker champions since it seems like the different champions are stronger than one another. And I don't see a problem with Greninja being that strong, Ash is allowed to have strong pokemon instead of battling with unevolved starters or common pokemon.

Greninja only knocked Diantha's Gardevoir down, it didn't KO it. Diantha is probably one of the weaker champions since it seems like the different champions are stronger than one another. And I don't see a problem with Greninja being that strong, Ash is allowed to have strong pokemon instead of battling with unevolved starters or common pokemon.
Ash’s Greninja isn’t that strong imo

Losing to Alain's Charizard doesn't mean that Greninja is weak, it means that said Charizard broken BS.
That Charizard was the most broken thing in the anime. The writers really went out of their way to shove it down our throats how OP that thing was. I mean we see it take down 10 Megas in a row, one of which being owned by an Elite 4 member. Then we see it defeat Zygarde. We see it storm through the Kalos League with Alain rarely needing to use other Pokemon. Then in Ash's battle, that thing takes Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, 2 Aerial Aces, a Water Shuriken, and then that mega Water Shuriken they hyped up but amounted to nothing. Then you tell me that thing didn't even have a scratch? That Charizard was broken as hell and never should have won against Ash-Greninja.

Last edited:
Anime & Video Game Controversial Threads - Please post in the appropriate one!
Back
Top Bottom