• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Alola!

Just a quick PSA and friendly reminder that we do in fact have a Controversial Opinion thread about the Pokémon video games. I've seen several posts here that don't reflect the anime, but rather the games moreso; those users may not be aware of the more conducive environment for their thoughts. So, please keep this in mind going forward regarding the, very distinct, two threads and your posts. Thanks!
Thank you so much! I did not know where to find that other Controversial Opinion thread on here

I was gonna say this in another thread but I figured it could be potentially be controversial enough to fit here better instead:

I believe that, at least up until this moment, Grookey is simply the most useless Pokémon that has ever made into the main cast. Point blank peridod.

It has been there for over 40 eps and is yet to do anything. It's not cute (I do understand that this point is heavily subjective, but most people tend to agree), it's not strong or competent on anything it does, has not used a move up until this point, it doesn't have any arcs, it doesn't impacts any other's arcs for that matter, especially Goh's. Seriously: has Grookey ever helped Goh out in any aspect? I mean, the only thing it helped was to prove Goh's incompetence as a trainer. And to top it all off, it's not even funny in it's gag.

Like... damn. I don't even know what to say. I'm dead serious: even Togepi and Sandy did more than it.

That Charizard was the most broken thing in the anime. The writers really went out of their way to shove it down our throats how OP that thing was. I mean we see it take down 10 Megas in a row, one of which being owned by an Elite 4 member. Then we see it defeat Zygarde. We see it storm through the Kalos League with Alain rarely needing to use other Pokemon. Then in Ash's battle, that thing takes Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, 2 Aerial Aces, a Water Shuriken, and then that mega Water Shuriken they hyped up but amounted to nothing. Then you tell me that thing didn't even have a scratch? That Charizard was broken as hell and never should have won against Ash-Greninja.
059196d5f1bbfba3a87d0bd25833e32178972394.gifv

That... is something alright. The "take down 10 megas in a row" did make me laugh but then it was followed by me saying what the hell out loud.

I was gonna say this in another thread but I figured it could be potentially be controversial enough to fit here better instead:

I believe that, at least up until this moment, Grookey is simply the most useless Pokémon that has ever made into the main cast. Point blank peridod.

It has been there for over 40 eps and is yet to do anything. It's not cute (I do understand that this point is heavily subjective, but most people tend to agree), it's not strong or competent on anything it does, has not used a move up until this point, it doesn't have any arcs, it doesn't impacts any other's arcs for that matter, especially Goh's. Seriously: has Grookey ever helped Goh out in any aspect? I mean, the only thing it helped was to prove Goh's incompetence as a trainer. And to top it all off, it's not even funny in it's gag.

Like... damn. I don't even know what to say. I'm dead serious: even Togepi and Sandy did more than it.
Slight nitpick

Grookey has actually been here for 34 episodes so far but who's counting? XD

How would the Charizard X VS A Greninja fare off if Greninja had Rock Slide in its arsenal? The issue I have with it is its moveset. I can allow Water Shuriken, but I'm stumped on why it has Cut, Aerial Ace, and Double Team.
I really think Ash-Greninja should have had Night Slash.

Also controversial opinion: Ash Greninja and Ash's Lucario are overhated.

How would the Charizard X VS A Greninja fare off if Greninja had Rock Slide in its arsenal? The issue I have with it is its moveset. I can allow Water Shuriken, but I'm stumped on why it has Cut, Aerial Ace, and Double Team.
Double Team and Aerial Ace has been helpful but Cut should a been replaced by Night Slash.

The only other thing, first being its lack of closure, I don't like about Gekkouga is its movepool.
Night Slash is an interesting choice, though I favour Dark Pulse instead.
But I agree; what was Cut for, such an useless move. Either a Rock-move, or Dig, would have been better.

Lucario has taken the mantle of Alan's Lizardon, being the current overshilled Ace that doesn't deserve to be that broken.

The only other thing, first being its lack of closure, I don't like about Gekkouga is its movepool.
Night Slash is an interesting choice, though I favour Dark Pulse instead.
But I agree; what was Cut for, such an useless move. Either a Rock-move, or Dig, would have been better.

Lucario has taken the mantle of Alan's Lizardon, being the current overshilled Ace that doesn't deserve to be that broken.
I saw it suggested once that Greninja was planned to get Night Slash at one point (I believe based off a giveaway Greninja that had Ash's moveset but with that instead of cut) but it was changed because of the rather dark origin of the move's Japanese name being considered inappropriate for a protagonist in a kid's show (the move being named off a phrase for Samurai testing their blade's sharpness by murdering people on the road).

I saw it suggested once that Greninja was planned to get Night Slash at one point (I believe based off a giveaway Greninja that had Ash's moveset but with that instead of cut) but it was changed because of the rather dark origin of the move's Japanese name being considered inappropriate for a protagonist in a kid's show (the move being named off a phrase for Samurai testing their blade's sharpness by murdering people on the road).
I am aware of the implications behind the move's Japanese name.
Being a fan of Samurai and Ninja, that's another reason why I love/chose the Keromatsu line.

But that didn't stop the writers from giving it to other Pokemon.
Sanpei's Gekkouga, and recently, Satoshi's Sir Kamon also used it.

Edit: They could have turned his Night Slash into Kunais, or a Ninjatou, as well.

Lucario has taken the mantle of Alan's Lizardon, being the current overshilled Ace that doesn't deserve to be that broken
I don't think its fair to say its worse than Alain's OP Mega Charizard X. I mean at least Lucario CAN be defeated. As a Riolu, he was thrown into a forced losing streak and Volkner was able to defeat Lucario. There's some ridiculous stuff going on like the absurd endurance, but I think the "shilling" is over exaggerated.

I can assure you that it wouldn't have helped. Alain's Charizard was fated to win, so no amount of powerful and/or super-effective moves would have helped Greninja out: Greninja could have learned the Kamehameha, manifested Star Platinum (with the time-stopping power of The World already there) as his Stand, mastered One For All, and gained all the strength of Saitama's punches, and Alain's Charizard still would have won because the dragon had plot armor and literally nothing can beat plot armor.

As for Greninja's moveset, it was probably intended to emulate the weapons and combat style of the typical ninja: Water Shuriken is self-explanatory, Double Team is there because ninja are frequently depicted as creating decoys to distract and throw off enemies (and one of fellow anime ninja Naruto's signature techniques is literally duplicating himself), and Aerial Ace and Cut are there because ninja incorporated blades into their arsenal (Aerial Ace is based on a sword technique), and this is even evidenced by how when Greninja uses Cut it manifests as kunai-shaped blades of light. Night Slash would have honestly been a far better move for this purpose due to being stronger and STAB, but as mentioned before, its basis was probably considered too gruesome and villain-like for a character who was being built up as a hero and protector of the entire Kalos region and who was essenitally the main protagonist of the XYZ saga, so Cut had to stay.

Greninja is definitely a Pokémon I don't have issues with it's moveset, which is surprisingly rare for a mon belonging to Ash lol.

Like, Water Shuriken is obvious as a Water STAB and it's the signature move of the mon, so it's perfect. Double Team is also very fitting for a ninja character, and helps with evasiveness, so that's a plus.

Aerial Ace is a lot better than most people give it credit for. Greninja is a Water/Dark type, meaning it's weak against Grass, Electric, Bug, Fighting and Fairy, and since the move is a Flying move, it covers 3 out of 5 of his weakness. Besides, gives it even more agility.

Btw, that was me lol. It's cuz the Greninja given to us in SM had all the same moves as Ash's, but it has Night Slash instead of Cut.

It pains me that it never got it: it has always used Cut ever since it was a Froakie, so it evolving into a Dark type and getting a move that is not only a stronger version of it but it's also a Dark version also makes perfect sense, and I will always be salty it never got it.

Also, if the reason why it never got it was due to "it wouldn't fit the Hero vibe", then Sirfetch'd, a mon that is literal knight, having free access to it suddenly got very funny.
Could have turned his Night Slash into Kunais, or a Ninjatou, as well.
Didn't they consistently showed Cut being used as Kunais? I remember that in the Wolfric battle, at least.

Aerial Ace is a lot better than most people give it credit for. Greninja is a Water/Dark type, meaning it's weak against Grass, Electric, Bug, Fighting and Fairy, and since the move is a Flying move, it covers 3 out of 5 of his weakness. Besides, gives it even more agility.

I was thinking Acrobatics for Greninja, as we don't see much equip items. Base power if equipped, double power if not. Would that move be a good replacement or is it more specific or niche for real combat battles (which the anime shows us, so it's puzzling to me why some viewers are using the turn base battle logic from the core games)?

Back
Top Bottom