• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Koharu isn't really billed as a main character, so her taking long to find a goal isn't a problem since she's not in most episodes anyway. It's a big difference with how Serena was a traditional female companion but they waited a year into XY to get started.
Despite how people complained about it, I think that Serena taking a year to find a goal generally worked, even if it was more of a double edge sword. It really limited what they could do with her since they had less time to work with Showcases. The fact that she only needed three Princess Keys always felt like they didn't want to take more time for Serena to reach her goal after that first year. I don't know if more time would have really helped with something like Showcases, but they went through them in a little over a year of a three year long series. But moments like Serena's race against her mother or changing her outfit as a result of her first defeat wouldn't have worked if she didn't take that long to find a goal.

I don't think Koharu will ever get a "real" goal in this series anyway, so it doesn't really matter. She's not a regular female companion
That is a bit sad though. I agree that she probably won't get an actual goal per say. Chloe will probably figure out what she'll want to do with Eevee near the end of the series so that she can have something to work on off-screen, but the idea that it doesn't really matter just sounds kind of sad to me. She isn't a traditional female companion, but she could really use more screentime, especially when the lack of a proper female lead has always been a huge issue with Journeys in my opinion.

Serena's pacing would have even fine if the first showcase was around the 35th episode or so, not the 60th. That meant she only had 2 years to finish up and it actually only lasted a year and a half.

I remember people complained about how long it took Serena to actually get a solid goal, though Chloe's situation is significantly worse. While her episodes aren't bad, it feels like they have absolutely no idea what to do with her. Its more apparent considering she isn't even a full time main cast member, with her only appearing once every 5 episodes or so. The whole idea of her searching for a goal has just grown tedious because it feels as if nothing is pushing her towards any goal and they haven't invented any interesting ideas for her other than meeting every Eeveelution. It truly feels like they don't know what to do with her.
I blame the fact that somewhere between the development of SM and Journeys some genius decided that Pokémon is a boys only club and that they would only include a girl again if it was only on a part-time basis. As such, they can dedicate time to things like 2-in-1 episode, Slowking fillers and completely pointless fillers yet can’t be bothered with having Koharu so much as try out differ trainer path to see how the fit her.

Serena's pacing would have even fine if the first showcase was around the 35th episode or so, not the 60th. That meant she only had 2 years to finish up and it actually only lasted a year and a half.
Considering that she would have undoubtedly lost in her first Showcase regardless of when it happened, I'm not sure if the pace would have been that much better. Taking a long time to start her goal definitely affected how much time they could spend having her compete, but that might have been an issue regardless since Serena probably wouldn't have gotten her first Princess Key probably around either the end of XY's first year or the start of its second year.

I blame the fact that somewhere between the development of SM and Journeys some genius decided that Pokémon is a boys only club and that they would only include a girl again if it was only on a part-time basis.
Either that or as someone to dump the secondary mascot onto.

I remember people complained about how long it took Serena to actually get a solid goal, though Chloe's situation is significantly worse. While her episodes aren't bad, it feels like they have absolutely no idea what to do with her. Its more apparent considering she isn't even a full time main cast member, with her only appearing once every 5 episodes or so. The whole idea of her searching for a goal has just grown tedious because it feels as if nothing is pushing her towards any goal and they haven't invented any interesting ideas for her other than meeting every Eeveelution. It truly feels like they don't know what to do with her.
I think that's because like, they genuinely have no idea about where to take her character, so they keep on opening new doors, but like,,, she doesn't takes a step towards any of them, you know?

It just feels like people are aways presenting new stuff to her and she's like "...Neat!'' and that's it. She feels static in such a bizarre way I can't even describe it.

And considering there's only Sylveon left... they better decide on something fast, cuz the ''Chloe meets the Eevelutions!" thing has it's days counted.

And considering there's only Sylveon left... they better decide on something fast, cuz the ''Chloe meets the Eevelutions!" thing has it's days counted.
Unless they delay its appearance until the last episodes of Journeys.

Dragging the whole schtick, with unneeded/undesirable fillers for Koharu/Eevee.

That is a bit sad though. I agree that she probably won't get an actual goal per say. Chloe will probably figure out what she'll want to do with Eevee near the end of the series so that she can have something to work on off-screen, but the idea that it doesn't really matter just sounds kind of sad to me. She isn't a traditional female companion, but she could really use more screentime, especially when the lack of a proper female lead has always been a huge issue with Journeys in my opinion.
Exactly! Thank you, glad someone else agrees. They need a proper female lead in this show. Like, who decided it was a good idea not to have one?

I feel like that's why they made her only a supporting character rather than a full main cast member. They just had no plan going forward and didn't know what to do for a female main cast member, so they go with supporting cast. Chloe really should have been a main cast member though.

I feel like that's why they made her only a supporting character rather than a full main cast member. They just had no plan going forward and didn't know what to do for a female main cast member, so they go with supporting cast. Chloe really should have been a main cast member though.
It's kinda clear to me they originally intended to only have Ash and Goh as the main characters. They clearly didn't wanted to do much with Chloe.

I think someone on the higher levels made them include her more. But they never had any plans for her to begin with, so she's this weird ''main character/side character'' mix.

Last edited:
I blame the fact that somewhere between the development of SM and Journeys some genius decided that Pokémon is a boys only club and that they would only include a girl again if it was only on a part-time basis. As such, they can dedicate time to things like 2-in-1 episode, Slowking fillers and completely pointless fillers yet can’t be bothered with having Koharu so much as try out differ trainer path to see how the fit her.
Those "fillers", if you can even call them that, were some of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

It's kinda clear to me they originally intended to only have Ash and Goh as the main characters. They clearly didn't wanted to do much with Chloe.

I think something/someone on the higher levels made them include her more. But they never had any plans for her to begin with, so she's this weird ''main character/side character'' mix.
Yeah, its kinda clear they originally wanted only Ash and Goh. She was a minor supporting character at first, though at some point they upgraded her to this weird main/supporting character mix. I think it was around the 2nd version of 1 2 3 where the opening hinted she was gonna be joining Ash and Goh a lot more frequently. She started appearing a bit more after that point and I think around the 3rd version is when they started the whole Chloe meets an Eeveelution thing. But still, they have yet to truly do anything to progress her story.

It feels like Chloe was added last moment to avoid the "Pokémon has no female representation!" outrage which would have justifiably occurred if only Ash and Go were present.
And occur it did. Really all adding Koharu did was lessen it a bit especially with how much they half-ass it by having her in the group once in a blue moon.

Ever since Black & White, I think the English dubbed episode titles have taken a noticeable dip in quality; I miss the puns, phrases, and idioms that were largely utilized in the past sagas. Simply stating what the episode will be about (ex. "Ash Vs. Gary!") doesn't sound as nice as it does in Japanese, especially when it's a word or syllable buffet.

Ever since Black & White, I think the English dubbed episode titles have taken a noticeable dip in quality; I miss the puns, phrases, and idioms that were largely utilized in the past sagas. Simply stating what the episode will be about (ex. "Ash Vs. Gary!") doesn't sound as nice as it does in Japanese, especially when it's a word or syllable buffet.
I'm still in awe of a few of the old ones, like "The Keystone Pops!" in DP.
How many of the target audience are gonna get that joke? Heck, a lot of adults probably won't.

Here we go again...Puns and cultural references make sense in English-speaking countries but not in the rest of the world, creating titles that sound awkward or unrelated to the episode in most countries. Maybe the best solution would be to have one title for the English version and another for the international distribution, that could be based on the Japanese one (I know they have puns too, but they are less frequent and less of a mouthful) but I don't see them going through that effort. So the simple titles are a neccesary evil to solve that problem.

Also the pun titles in Journeys have been terrible imo

Saves time and probably money to just standardize episode titles across translations.

With the talks about Serena and her (possible) return, I want to say something: The kiss was an horrible choice.

I hate it, not because I don't like Ash x Serena, but because the writers wrote themselves into a corner by making it happen.

If they ignore it, or even go as far as like, idk, retconning the kiss out of existence (which, btw, I really don't think will happen buuuut is not impossible, let's be real), it's gonna rain hellfire. There's a very sizable, loud part of the fandom who will scream until the end of the times if they do.

But at the same time, they just can't do anything about it because that's not what Pokémon is about, and never was, and most likely than not won't ever be. It's not gonna go anywhere. Ash and Serena are not gonna date.

And this is yet another controversial opinion I have: I don't hate it, I swear, but Amourship was fated to fail imo.

Back
Top Bottom