• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Why are people still doubting the permanence of Satoshi through the generations?

He is so ingrained in the anime, that it has become an essential part of its identity.

Many people go as far as to equate the whole franchise to him.

Last edited:
People used to say the same thing about Brock, and look what happened.
There are a couple of big differences though. Brock had already been replaced back in the Orange Islands. They brought him back not too long afterwards with Johto and he stuck around until BW, but it showed that he could be replaced. People still didn't think he would be replaced because of how long he was a part of the main cast and I remember people being surprised when it happened, but it definitely wasn't impossible.

Plus, Ash is the main character of the anime. It's always been about Ash and Pikachu traveling around with their friends as they catch and battle different Pokemon. He is much more iconic to the anime than Brock is. Replacing a secondary male companion after being in the cast for roughly ten years isn't really the same thing as the idea of replacing the iconic main lead after twenty five years, especially when they had already replaced Brock earlier. If they were interested in having a new lead for the anime, they would have done it decades ago. Ash and Pikachu are just too iconic, recognizable and associated with the anime for them to be replaced.

I feel like the only reason they brought back Brock in AG and DP is because there were no other guys around Ash's Age group that could've traveled with them in those Gens

Ash represented the Male Player Character so, Brendan and Lucas weren't gonna be used

Barry and Wally are Rivals that the Player faces so they wouldn't be companions (tho I still question why Wally wasn't present in the AG Anime?)

All the other Male characters in those Gens we're grown ass Men

It wasn't until Gen 5 that the Games started introducing more younger characters who weren't Rivals that would make sense to join Ash's Adventures

I feel like the only reason they brought back Brock in AG and DP is because there were no other guys around Ash's Age group that could've traveled with them in those Gens

Ash represented the Male Player Character so, Brendan and Lucas weren't gonna be used

Barry and Wally are Rivals that the Player faces so they wouldn't be companions (tho I still question why Wally wasn't present in the AG Anime?)

It wasn't until Gen 5 that the Games started introducing more younger characters who weren't Rivals that would make sense to join Ash's Adventures
It's an interesting theory, but I admit I always thought Brock was an adult in the games and got de-aged for the show.

I definitely think that was a huge reason why he stuck around for both series. I can't really think of any male character in those generations that could have taken his role. Wally might have worked as a companion. Yeah, he was a rival, but he barely appeared in the original R/S and even OR/AS used him sparingly. But I don't think that they would have wanted to risk replacing both members of the original trio right away. Replacing the female leads was untested in AG and maybe they didn't want to risk turning off fans by changing too much at once. With DP, I definitely don't think another character could have filled in Brock's role despite how common it is for people to say that he was unnecessary in that series.

It's an interesting theory, but I admit I always thought Brock was an adult in the games and got de-aged for the show.
I never thought of Brock being significantly older in the games, but I can kind of see it with his original sprite and artwork. I always thought that he was a teenager in both the games ad the show, but being introduced to the anime before playing the games most likely contributed to that notion.

A lot of Pokémon Youtube channels are garbage. So many of them do nothing but bitch and moan about every single announcement leading up to the release of a game because every since Dexit that seems to be what attracts viewers. But then they buy the game anyway and beg you to watch them stream it. :rolleyes:

A lot of Pokémon Youtube channels are garbage. So many of them do nothing but bitch and moan about every single announcement leading up to the release of a game because every since Dexit that seems to be what attracts viewers. But then they buy the game anyway and beg you to watch them stream it. :rolleyes:
Though this is mainly about game focused Poketubers I feel the same but the ones for the anime, can't stand any of them because of how overly obsessed with hype baiting and over speculating they are, the entire Twitter Fandom revolves around them and it's so obnoxious

Last edited:
Though this is mainly about game focused Poketubers I feel the same but tge ones for the anime, can't stand any of them because of how overly I bsessed with hype baiting and over speculating they are, the entire Twitter Fandom revolves around them and it's so obnoxious
I’ve actively avoided all of them ever since we got the Greninja confirmation. I don’t want to see the level their expectations have reached.

I definitely think that was a huge reason why he stuck around for both series. I can't really think of any male character in those generations that could have taken his role. Wally might have worked as a companion. Yeah, he was a rival, but he barely appeared in the original R/S and even OR/AS used him sparingly. But I don't think that they would have wanted to risk replacing both members of the original trio right away. Replacing the female leads was untested in AG and maybe they didn't want to risk turning off fans by changing too much at once. With DP, I definitely don't think another character could have filled in Brock's role despite how common it is for people to say that he was unnecessary in that series.
Ash, May, and Wally (and...I guess Max; maybe) would have been a fun group to follow now that I think about it. I know the studious side of his was more pronounced in the remakes, but he could have served as that aspect of the role Brock had.

Ash, May, and Wally (and...I guess Max; maybe) would have been a fun group to follow now that I think about it. I know the studious side of his was more pronounced in the remakes, but he could have served as that aspect of the role Brock had.
Certainly would have made "Gotta Catch Ya Later!" hit a whole lot harder if Brock had left for good too, though.

Certainly would have made "Gotta Catch Ya Later!" hit a whole lot harder if Brock had left for good too, though.
How so? Now we know that any past traveling companion has the chance to reappear for an episode or seven. While back then there was no expectation that Misty or Brock would return, especially given that the first several Hoenn episodes did not feature Brock. Provided one does not know about the subsequent events past the Johto finale, I would imagine "Gotta Catch Ya Later!" would elicit/would have elicited the same emotional response from people if Brock didn't return as a regular character (since at the moment, you'd logically be under the assumption he would not).

Wait the more I think about it, the more I would've loved Wally in the RSE anime :bulbaLove: I don't even know if Max would be necessary in the group, but just the idea of Wally going through a journey with Ash and May would've been cool to see.

It is weird that AG never used Wally. Despite having minimal presence within the original third generation, he was still a pretty popular character and people were happy with his upgrades in OR/AS. Maybe they didn't want to create a rivalry between Ash and Wally, especially when AG didn't really give Ash a main rival. It does seem like a weird decision in retrospect. Ash, May, Brock and Wally could have been an interesting dynamic.

It is weird that AG never used Wally. Despite having minimal presence within the original third generation, he was still a pretty popular character and people were happy with his upgrades in OR/AS. Maybe they didn't want to create a rivalry between Ash and Wally, especially when AG didn't really give Ash a main rival. It does seem like a weird decision in retrospect. Ash, May, Brock and Wally could have been an interesting dynamic.
I have wondered about that. Maybe they thought Wally would have been too sympathetic as a rival due to his health issues and the viewers wouldn't want Ash to defeat him in the end?
I don't know, that doesn't sound quite right to me but it's all I can think of other than them just deciding not to use him.

Though this is mainly about game focused Poketubers I feel the same but tge ones for the anime, can't stand any of them because of how overly I bsessed with hype baiting and over speculating they are, the entire Twitter Fandom revolves around them and it's so obnoxious
Lol! Don't even get me started on the TCG channels! Lol. I had literally just started getting into the card game and then suddenly all the stores were getting bombarded with twats trying to buy them all because they thought they'd get rich off of them. This resulted in endless box and pack opening videos. Naturally now many of them are stuck with products they can't sell for profit because they're not in demand anymore.

As for the anime related channels, I see a good video here and there but I avoided them for the longest time after Sun and Moon came out because people kept using that same screenshot of Pikachu to talk about how "bad" the animation and designs were. Anyone that used that screencap as an example made it clear they didn't know a thing about animation because they obviously had never heard of a stretch frame. And again, so many of these channels complain about the show but then they watch EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!! lol. It's like, why waste so much time and energy on something you don't even enjoy? The best part is that the fact that they're even talking about the latest episodes means that a lot of them let it slip that they're pirate the show. So I don't think TPCI or OLM are going to be interested in their opinions. lol

Wally should have been Ash’s rival in AG, but Wally beats Ash instead of Tyson and wins the Hoenn league, mirroring his progression in the games.

I don’t like how most of the PWC battles are Ash battling characters he’s already beaten. I want to see Ash vs characters he’s never beaten or never battled against (like Alain or some other elite 4 members that haven’t been seen in the anime)

Back
Top Bottom