• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Okay but the way this post absolutely spills and I completely agree!

https://twitter.com/rajawtheflatass/status/1516109011111882756?t=HNe4XdDy5lcKT3KICJX2Ew&s=19

The way we could've had more of:

Cinderace
Inteleon
Scizor
Raichu
Yamper

But They way they all got shafted for FUXKING GROOKEY!!!???? :annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb:

giphy.gif

Okay but the way this post absolutely spills and I completely agree!

https://twitter.com/rajawtheflatass/status/1516109011111882756?t=HNe4XdDy5lcKT3KICJX2Ew&s=19

The way we could've had more of:

Cinderace
Inteleon
Scizor
Raichu
Yamper

But They way they all got shafted for FUXKING GROOKEY!!!???? :annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb::annoyedVoltorb:

View attachment 158618
I dunno. Sure Cinderace has been consistently around but I can’t really say it’s done anything particularly impressive since the end of the Darkest Day arc. With Go it doesn’t really get to do much and the rare times it actually gets action, it’s usually against things that outclass it like Mewtwo, Moltress or Articuno. Really the most it gets to do is walk around being friendly but as far as fully evolved starters go, it hasn’t had any really memorable moments.

saw this on Twitter and I agree. Pikachu backstory in the first episode was kinda wasted potential. It was cute and all but it didn't really answer any questions about Pikachu. His hatred for going in a PokeBall, how he met oak, why he doesn't like people, why he suddenly doesn't want to evolve to Raichu when he was fine evening from a Pichu. He is still basically thee same character we know, before the episode aired.

Koharu is much more boring after getting evee and her arc has been pretty disappointing

I dunno. Sure Cinderace has been consistently around but I can’t really say it’s done anything particularly impressive since the end of the Darkest Day arc. With Go it doesn’t really get to do much and the rare times it actually gets action, it’s usually against things that outclass it like Mewtwo, Moltress or Articuno. Really the most it gets to do is walk around being friendly but as far as fully evolved starters go, it hasn’t had any really memorable moments.
Cinderace has honestly not been around as much as they used to be ever since Goh was given Grookey. Cinderace is still around but nowhere near as much in the first half of Journeys. And that's just kind of a side effect of being owned by a character that doesn't battle or have a reason to battle much.

Yeah but by comparison at least you can say positive things about Cinderace

What good things can you actually say about:

Grookey
Inteleon
Eevee
Yamper
or Goh's Laboratory Fodder?

Cinderace has honestly not been around as much as they used to be ever since Goh was given Grookey. Cinderace is still around but nowhere near as much in the first half of Journeys. And that's just kind of a side effect of being owned by a character that doesn't battle or have a reason to battle much.
It's honestly kinda sad that cinderace, grookey , and Inteleon are goh pokemon with the most screentime. Yet they barely interact with each other now

It's honestly kinda sad that cinderace, grookey , and Inteleon are goh pokemon with the most screentime. Yet they barely interact with each other now
Pokemon not interacting is really a problem Journeys has in general that's not limited to Cinderace, Grookey, and Inteleon.

Goh's Grookey is a complete fucking joke. An utter waste of space, potential, a Pokemon and everyone's fucking time

Inteleon isn't bad by itself but he doesn't appear nearly as much as he should unless it's a Project Mew mission or a life threatening situation so we barely know fuck all about him as a character. (And of course we've all talked about how the road to how he became an Inteleon was blotched as hell but I don't think I need to venture down that can of worms again)

Cinderace is the only one who got any real development. It was clearly set up to have bonds/friendships with Lucario and the other Galar Starters but it all immediately went down the drain.
Waste of potential if you ask me

Last edited:
I highly doubt it's controversial to say this anymore (if it ever even was), but I'll say it anyway like I've said it a thousand times before: the Galar Starters should have been distributed between Ash, Goh and Chloe instead of being all on the same team.
And you wanna know what's the saddest part?

They still could've worked if all 3 of them still went to Goh.

The fact that most of the problems with these 3 could've been fixed if they had just let these 3 interact...

They should've let Drizzile walk alongside Goh and Grookey much like Raboot and Sobble used to and have Cinderace come out it's ball every now and then to be their mentor.

Drizzile and Grookey should've interacted. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

First of all. If Goh and his Starters are allegedly supposed to resemble a family unit, then they are doing a piss poor job at by not even letting two of the "family members" even interact

Second, Grookey needs someone his hyperactive personality can bounce off from. Eevee and Cinderace are too similar in personality and Pikachu is just an enabler

Drizzile's calm maturity/apathy would be a perfect foil/counterbalance to all of Grookey's childlike rambunctious personality (with Cinderace being somewhere in the middle)

If Drizzile had been walking with Goh instead moping in a damn cave, it could've easily kept Grookey's annoying ass in check while Grookey's positive and party animal-like demeanor would've forced Drizzile to open up and become more social and leading more naturally into it's evolution

Cinderace could've been a guide to help his younger brothers grow. Or keep them from killing each other lol

I highly doubt it's controversial to say this anymore (if it ever even was), but I'll say it anyway like I've said it a thousand times before: the Galar Starters should have been distributed between Ash, Goh and Chloe instead of being all on the same team.
I still think it really feels wrong for Ash to not have a starter. Part of why I think it was a bad idea to give all three to Goh is that he's not a character who's placed in a position where he regularly uses them in interesting ways that showcase their abilities enough. I agree with you that they should have been distributed. Ash with Sobble, Goh with Scorbunny, and Chloe with Grookey makes the most sense. I really hope that if Ash stays for Scarlet and Violet's series, he does get a starter this time.

I still think it really feels wrong for Ash to not have a starter. Part of why I think it was a bad idea to give all three to Goh is that he's not a character who's placed in a position where he regularly uses them in interesting ways that showcase their abilities enough. I agree with you that they should have been distributed. Ash with Sobble, Goh with Scorbunny, and Chloe with Grookey makes the most sense. I really hope that if Ash stays for Scarlet and Violet's series, he does get a starter this time.
The Sobble line got fucking robbed of being properly showcased in both the Anime and the Manga and it annoys me tbh

Since Ash had Litten and Rowlet (Fire and Grass) in Gen 7 it only made sense for him to have the Water Starter of Gen 8 right? Nope Ash gets no starter this time.

Same thing in the Manga, the Male Protagonist’s go in a Pattern of which Starters that they get

Gen 1 - Red and Bulbasaur (Grass)
Gen 2 - Gold and Cyndaquil (Fire)
Gen 3 - Ruby and Swampert (Water)
Gen 4 - Diamond and Turtwig (Grass)
Gen 5 - Black and Tepig (Fire)
Gen 5.2 - Blake and Oshawott (Water)
Gen 6 - X and Chespin (Grass)
Gen 7 - Sun and Litten (Fire)

So naturally you'd think Sword would get Sobble since Water is next in line right? Nope he breaks the pattern and gets Grookey for some reason...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter about it or anything but it does bug me that we will probably never get to see this line be showcased in a proper Battle..

It's like they really don't want to show Sobble, Drizzile or Inteleon fighting for some reason

I still think it really feels wrong for Ash to not have a starter.
Ash with Sobble,
The Sobble line got fucking robbed of being properly showcased in both the Anime and the Manga and it annoys me tbh

Since Ash had Litten and Rowlet (Fire and Grass) in Gen 7 it only made sense for him to have the Water Starter of Gen 8 right? Nope Ash gets no starter this time.
And they even had the nerve to troll/mislead us with Messon in that Special Preview.

I'm still mad about it and I may never forget or forgive them for such a dick move.

That would require Chloe to not disappear for ten episodes after appearing

That would require Chloe to not disappear for ten episodes after appearing
Optimistically, giving her a starter would encourage this since they would want to market the starters a decent bit. Realistically it might not because the starters outside of occasionally Scorbunny and Grookey being used as a plot device haven't done much outside of evolution episodes, but while her starter was in its first stage being a shoulder warmer it might not that Eevee has completely prevented her disappearances but I feel like its kinda helped.

why he suddenly doesn't want to evolve to Raichu when he was fine evening from a Pichu
His refusal to evolve happened after he went from Pichu to Pikachu. When battled Lt. Surge's Raichu and lost badly, everyone started doubting him until Nurse Joy approached and offered them a Thunder Stone. He slapped the stone away when Ash was about to use it and started, which Meowth translated as Pikachu wanting to prove he can be strong without needing to evolve, which he did as he beat Raichu in their second battle. And since then he's always hated the thought of evolving, a trait the anime staff'll likely never get rid of.

His refusal to evolve happened after he went from Pichu to Pikachu. When battled Lt. Surge's Raichu and lost badly, everyone started doubting him until Nurse Joy approached and offered them a Thunder Stone. He slapped the stone away when Ash was about to use it and started, which Meowth translated as Pikachu wanting to prove he can be strong without needing to evolve, which he did as he beat Raichu in their second battle. And since then he's always hated the thought of evolving, a trait the anime staff'll likely never get rid of.
Oh okay then, thanks for the explanation. I thought the refusal was even before he met LT. Surge. Although we all know the real reason is marketing

This is never gonna happen, but it'll be funny if Raichu suddenly becomes even more popular than Pikachu. I could see Pikachu doing a complete 180 on his mindset just so they can start having Raichu around lol

Pikachu's early popularity making it the mascot means poor Raichu never had a chance; it's a reinforcing cycle where Pikachu gets a lot more appearances and focus and prominent ones will basically never evolve.
Gou getting one is probably the most prominent classic-flavor Raichu has been allowed to be in a while.

Back
Top Bottom