• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I hate how the PWC is laid out. Why is Ash going against Lance? It would have been more interesting if Lance and Iris; two Dragon trainers fought, since Iris wants to be the BEST Dragon trainer. Why is she fighting Alain at all? "OH BUT HE HAS A CHARIZARD" yeah, ONE Dragon type that he may not even USE! Not a great opponent for Iris. Did the writers forget her goal... again? Sorry, but getting to the Top 8 doesn't mean you're the best Dragon trainer when there's literally another guy in it who's a Dragon master.

On the OFF chance it's a round robin tournament, then that would be fine. Heck, if each trainer had to win against 3 trainers to get to the next round, that would be fine too. Though I doubt that will happen and we'll end up with yet ANOTHER disappointing tournament that rivals BW.
Wait is it confirmed he isn't fighting Alain and iris is?

TBH if they had to make someone's partner Pokemon an Eevee, Go was right there lol. Would have made more sense with the whole "dual-protagonist" thing but whatever. I guess OLM and the suits really want Eevee to stick with female companions for whatever reason.
If goh had ever, I would of believed the whole "goh is staying" thing, but not when he has three gen 8 starters

It’s a real shame we’ve had no female Pokémon League winners.

Virgil, Tyson, Harrison, the guy from Kanto, and Tobias could have easily been girls or women and achieved the same thing, albeit with a better count of representation.
It seems that the only real female battlers we get are rivals, past companions before BW,. At least we got 3 female trainers for the m8

Another controversial opinion I have?

I really hate how the term counterpart is used in Bulbapedia. Especially when there's a more appropriate word for it: Incarnation. I don't know why Bulbapedia used counterparts to describe Red and Ash. Counterparts are usually reserved for two characters that exist in the same continuity but on opposite positions. Like, for example, Wario is an evil counterpart to Mario. They are similar in many ways, yet different in key aspects like morality and fighting style. Leaf is regarded as a Distaff Counterpart to Red in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen because she plays the same role as Red but acts as an alternative choice to Red. Ash and Ritchie are considered counterparts because they note their similarities and differences with each other.

But Ash and Red are never in opposition positions, and they have never met once in any official crossover. In fact, if Pokémon: The Series is considered an adaptation of the Pokémon games, then Ash wouldn't be considered a counterpart to Red but rather an adaptation of Red, just with a name change. An incarnation. That's what they use for characters with multiple variations and interpretations like Batman.

To quote Bat-Mite:

"Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but it's certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots as the tortured avenger crying out for mommy and daddy."

Thoughts of Ash battling Lance made me realise… goddamn, Pikachu gets a kick out of slaying Gyarados, doesn’t he? I can think of five just from a ten second brainstorm.
Well, based on those images I saw on Twitter, it might just be Dracovish that beats Gyarados this time. Also, to see if we're on the same page, are the five Gyarados you're thinking of by chance:
  1. Clair's Gyarados
  2. Misty's Gyarados
  3. Crasher Wake's Gyarados
  4. Lysandere's (Mega) Gyarados (Pika didn't need/deserve that KO :cautious:)
  5. Team Rocket's Gyarados and/or that random Trainer's Gyarados from the Alola League Battle Royal segment?

It’s a real shame we’ve had no female Pokémon League winners.

Virgil, Tyson, Harrison, the guy from Kanto, and Tobias could have easily been girls or women and achieved the same thing, albeit with a better count of representation.

- Real shame, not to mention that only in Journeys Ash had a major female rival, which, unfortunately, was overcome/discarded long before the end of the season.

At least Dawn and Iris did more battling in their respective series. Iris got the Don battle tournaments and battled Claire, Drayden, etc outside of them. She also had a practice match with Cynthia and battled Ash 3 times.

I don't particular mind Serena not battling much but with XY's animation I'd be remiss to mention she could have theoretically had the best battles for a female lead in the show if her goal had a battle round. Kind of a missed opportunity.

- Real shame, not to mention that only in Journeys Ash had a major female rival, which, unfortunately, was overcome/discarded long before the end of the season.
Marnie could have been Ash's female rival in JN but no she's at this point just a one off character in the anime.

Bianca exists too, y'know.
She was a pretty poor excuse for a rival in my opinion. Bianca was basically a less competent and more annoying version of Barry. I'm also not sure if Ash battled her more than once. They definitely could have done a better job for Ash's first female rival.

She was a pretty poor excuse for a rival in my opinion. Bianca was basically a less competent and more annoying version of Barry. I'm also not sure if Ash battled her more than once. They definitely could have done a better job for Ash's first female rival.

I would say Iris works better as a rival than simply a companion to Ash. As a companion, Iris is usually conformed to simply cheering and watching Ash from the sidelines. But as a rival, it makes the dynamic a lot more interesting. Especially if Iris was competing in the Pokémon League, imagine that.

I would say Iris works better as a rival than simply a companion to Ash. As a companion, Iris is usually conformed to simply cheering and watching Ash from the sidelines. But as a rival, it makes the dynamic a lot more interesting. Especially if Iris was competing in the Pokémon League, imagine that.
Still sucks we don't have any notable female companion battlers after iris

Back
Top Bottom