• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Honestly, I think I'd be fine with three-on-three matches. I can understand the disappointment and frustration since going all out with a tournament full of Champions would be cooler, but I think that would just use up too much of their budget. Not to mention I don't think that they'd be willing or interested in having that many multi-part battles given how fast paced Journeys has been. Plus, they generally don't have that many full battles per series. Three-on-three battles should have been the standard for PWC matches, so getting that at least in the last stretch is better than more one-on-one battles.
I get your point, but we're talking about battles against the literal strongest trainers in the world, and the highest stakes Ash has ever faced. 6x6 battles with excelent, top-tier animation are the bare minimum, at least to me, personally.

Of course it's JN so we all should keep out expectations down, but I can't help but have a tiny little slice of hope.

Ash's new Pokémon beating Iris so early just devalued what it means to be a Champion in the series. That should have been a hyper class battle and it'd be more believable once Ash's new Pokémon had more experience. Also, I agree with Hidden Mew that 1v1s in such an important tournament make the whole
impressive. I'll even reluctantly accept Marnie being hyper class (even though she always felt a tier lower than that in the games) but if so, give us a better match.
There wouldn't be that much difference if Iris happened later. Having Ash beat her later and still make it to Master Class would have been odder. Ash and Iris have always been roughly on the same level and the writers wanted to show both started off at the beginning and had to work their way up to Super Class.

Obviously Iris is the newest/youngest champion so him beating her isn't going to be treated as big a prestige as any of the long running champions. That's why Ash didn't battle any of the other champions yet

I get your point, but we're talking about battles against the literal strongest trainers in the world, and the highest stakes Ash has ever faced. 6x6 battles with excelent, top-tier animation are the bare minimum, at least to me, personally.

Of course it's JN so we all should keep out expectations down, but I can't help but have a tiny little slice of hope.
I can't really see any other series being capable of having a tournament of full battles for pretty much the same reason, so the issues people have with Journeys feel kind irrelevant to this issue.

At the least I'm sure Cynthia and obviously Leon will be 6 on 6, the latter so Ash can use his full JN team.

Some of the earlier rounds being 3 on 3 is possible though

On average, it seems 2-3 full battles are the standard for series for the most part, though BW and SM are the exception, with both only truly having one full battle...Well, technically BW only had 6 v. 5....
So it works then. 3 full battles for Ash in the Masters 8, if they go in with a single-elimination approach.

If there's anytime to go with full battles that go off the budget, it's now.

Last edited:
One of the many points that makes SM far from my favorite Saga is Bewear (then Bewear and Stufful). I can't recall if there is a single reason why she's so obsessed by Team Rocket. Some could say that's because she lost her Stufful, but she kept being obsessed with them even with Stufful back. The fact that she's the "blasting off" gag from SM annoys me a lot. Also, I consider her obsession being worse: she absolutely wants to make them her "golden prisoners". Outside of exceptions, she won't let them go, and the only time she let them go for good is when the Saga ended. To me, she clearly dethroned the alcoholic-nosed food guy (does he have a name? It's been a long time I haven't watched an episode with him) as the Team Rocket-related character I hate the most (I hate the latter for his excessive aggressivity).

Last edited:
One of the many points that makes SM far from my favorite Saga is Bewear (then Bewear and Stufful). I can't recall if there is a single reason why she's so obsessed by Team Rocket. Some could say that's because she lost her Stufful, but she kept being obsessed with them even with Stufful back. The fact that she's the "blasting off" gag from SM annoys me a lot. Also, I consider her obsession being worse: she absolutely wants to make them her "golden prisoners". Outside of exceptions, she won't let them go, and the only time she let them go for good is when the Saga ended. To me, she clearly dethroned the alcoholic-nosed food guy (does he have a name? It's been a long time I haven't watched an episode with him) as the Team Rocket-related character I hate the most (I hate the latter for his excessive aggressivity).
I love Bewear and Stufful so much! The best parts of SM.
Edit: misread your question :(

I don’t know how controversial this opinion is, but I think May is the traveling companion with the best arc and it’s not particularly close.

Man, it's been ages since I was on this thread...

I feel that Juan got kind of screwed over in the anime. For all intents and purposes, he's just Wallace with a different skin and name. Like Wallace, he's a Coordinator and even uses the exact same team as Wallace. This could probably be the result of then deciding to swap out Wallace as Ash's last Hoenn League Gym Leader to promote Emerald, but it still ended up robbing Juan if his own team and identity in the anime, in my opinion.

Not the first time the anime's ruined a character, just look at Alder. I love the guy in-game, but his anime appearance is just bad; Firstly they made his signature Pokemon Bouffalant, where in all his other appearances its his Volcarona. Its what his deceased partner is as well, another aspect of his character i'm pretty sure the anime never talked about. Also they decided to make him a flirt cause Oshawott wasn't enough and the anime staff refuses to get rid of this trope. He had his moments like when he stopped a Gigalith with his bare-hands, I just hate that every other Champion get to show off and be bad-ass but Alder's treated as a joke a lot of the time. I don't mind that Iris managed to beat him off-screen, but I wish he could show up and have his character redeemed in some way, like how Steven got a chance to shine.

Man, it's been ages since I was on this thread...

I feel that Juan got kind of screwed over in the anime. For all intents and purposes, he's just Wallace with a different skin and name. Like Wallace, he's a Coordinator and even uses the exact same team as Wallace. This could probably be the result of then deciding to swap out Wallace as Ash's last Hoenn League Gym Leader to promote Emerald, but it still ended up robbing Juan if his own team and identity in the anime, in my opinion.
To be fair, the games hardly bother to make him stand out either.

Back
Top Bottom